What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (16 Viewers)

1) I'll answer 1 with a question... do you think doctors and nurses wear them while treating COVID patients because they (med staff) are sick. No. It's protection. 

2) Honestly, In most parts of the country, I cautiously optimistic masks will be spotty. I think in major metro areas that have open transmission, masks are going to be on anyone's face who doesn't want to get sick and can afford/get one. Too much risk in dense areas. 

We shall see how widespread it gets here. People equating public use of facemasks with the zombie apocalypse are poorly calibrated on this I think. You can want to avoid catching a cold/virus/bug in a crowded place, without it triggering collapse. Masks are a slight inconvenience but otherwise life can be carried on pretty normally. 
Didn’t read the whole thread. What masks should we be buying?  

Thinking out loud here.

• Situation: Family sheltering in place, someone gets sick.  3 others are healthy.
  • To provide care to a child that's going to take some direct interaction.  (It's highly likely the caretaker gets it)
  • You are going to need to have a secondary quarantine for the caretaker, can't assume you can simply mask up and not get it (See: Wuhan)
  • This person should be considered carefully.  Ideally most healthy <50 person.  
  • Once the child or person has cleared the virus the caretaker takes the quarantine spot.
  • Care seems at this time needs to be taken to watch for exposure post recovery, it seems at least 7 days of post recovery isolation is suggested and perhaps 14 days of constant mask wear post recovery is advised.  
  • Quarantine and recovery locations can and likely should be outdoors.  Outdoor locations may in fact be ideal to kill droplets
  • If you have someone 60+ or compromised in the house while dealing with this, some thought should be made to moving them outside the same airflow zone.  Tape off vents and use windows.  etc.
poke holes

Again ... your cohort (and anyone's cohort) shapes their mental stances regarding the coronavirus threat. Not a knock, just an observation.
Absolutely. I've also always personally trended toward maintaining some degree of survivalist skills. Make shelter, start & build fire, fish, map reading / orienteering, etc. Started at a young age in scouts and has stuck with me. My buddies and I used to go full rustic camping out on land with no facilities. Bring no firewood or lighters. Use a hatchet to fell trees/cut wood, dig a pit, start fire with primitive methods, cook dinner using primitive methods, etc.

That stuff is fun for some folks (myself included). I've had some of it come in handy when getting lost in the White Forest of NH due to losing an unfamiliar, poorly maintained trail while descending rapidly from altitude due to approaching weather. 

It's not for everyone... but I'm glad I have those skills/experiences. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I recommend these...
I haven't read any of this thread but saw the report asking the title be changed.

Is this a joke thread or are people trying to offer serious advice here? 

It seems as since people are dying from this and some have seemingly legit concerns, we could do without jokes in this one. 

Absolutely. I've also always personally trended toward maintaining some degree of survivalist skills. Make shelter, start & build fire, fish, map reading / orienteering, etc. Started at a young age in scouts and has stuck with me. My buddies and used to go full rustic camping out on land with no facilities. Bring no firewood or lighters. Use a hatchet to fell trees/cut wood, dig a pit, start fire with primitive methods, cook dinner using primitive methods, etc.

That stuff is fun for some folks (myself included). I've had some of it come in handy when getting lost in the White Forest of NH due to losing a poorly maintained trail while descending rapidly from altitude due to approaching weather. 

It's not for everyone... but I'm glad I have those skills/experiences. 
Society is made up of people of all types.  The diversity is typically good within healthy boundaries.  I think for most folks, you may be a bit on the extreme side but certainly within normal boundaries in society.

Just like genetic diversity helps a population/species when something new and unexpected comes up - disease, climate change, natural disaster  - so do folks with varying approaches to preparing for disasters, views on the world, political views, etc.

There's a scenario out there, or a lot of them, that could happen where you and others like you could legitimately do good things for humanity's propogation, while many others are not prepared and have a harder time of it or just don't survive.  If that happens, you'll be in great shape...if not, you should likely also be OK but maybe considered more fringe on this issue than most folks.

I think its' good folks like you are out there.  I may roll my eyes a bit at hazmat suits, at least for the current situation, but glad there are folks out there like yourself for the future of humanity's sake.

Flying from London to Chicago and I puked all over the bathroom door in the Concorde Lounge. They had to call the paramedics under suspicion of Coronavirus. I explained that it was more than likely food poisoning but I had been 30 minutes from the Northern Italian border last week. I thought I had a decent chance of being thrown into quarantine. Eventually, they cleared me after saying there no way we’d make the flight. Last ones on baby!!

I haven't read any of this thread but saw the report asking the title be changed.

It seems as since people are dying from this and some have seemingly legit concerns, we could do without jokes in this one. 
It's a smattering...some jokes, but mostly good advice.  I've had about a 9/10 ratio of trying to offer good information to a little light-hearted humor in an otherwise very serious situation.  The previous few pages are full of advice about masks.  Where to get them, what to look for, when to use them...

Serious advice for the most part. There have been some jokes here and there, but current discussion is about (a) helpful measures people can take if they can't just throw cash at the problem, and (b) what to do about masks (types to buy, efficacy, etc.)? 

Basic masks don't do anything other than:

The only type of mask that is going to prevent airborne particles from getting into your system is an  n95 respirator, which is extremely uncomfortable to use. 
Speaking as someone who's worn them before, this is not true. You certainly know it's there, but to call them extremely uncomfortable is, IMO, incorrect. 

The title was actually quite relevant since it was about the Chinese government suppressing actual infection numbers.  

Society is made up of people of all types.  The diversity is typically good within healthy boundaries.  I think for most folks, you may be a bit on the extreme side but certainly within normal boundaries in society.

Just like genetic diversity helps a population/species when something new and unexpected comes up - disease, climate change, natural disaster  - so do folks with varying approaches to preparing for disasters, views on the world, political views, etc.

There's a scenario out there, or a lot of them, that could happen where you and others like you could legitimately do good things for humanity's propogation, while many others are not prepared and have a harder time of it or just don't survive.  If that happens, you'll be in great shape...if not, you should likely also be OK but maybe considered more fringe on this issue than most folks.

I think its' good folks like you are out there.  I may roll my eyes a bit at hazmat suits, at least for the current situation, but glad there are folks out there like yourself for the future of humanity's sake.
THe thing is, if you read my thoughts on here you might consider me fringe... but ask any of the dozen plus FBGs who have met me and they'd likely describe me as a fun loving, carefree guy who does not look or act like a "prepper".  I know a lot of C-Suite white collar guys who know how to roll a mean joint. ;)  

THe thing is, if you read my thoughts on here you might consider me fringe... but ask any of the dozen plus FBGs who have met me and they'd likely describe me as a fun loving, carefree guy who does not look or act like a "prepper".  I know a lot of C-Suite white collar guys who know how to roll a mean joint. ;)  
I don't consider you fringe in general.  But in terms of 100% of the population, you're in the less than 1% in terms of preparation on this issue.  That's fringe, just on this issue.  You seem like a cool dude in general, even considering this.  No judgment attached to it, just that it's well outside of what most mainstream people prepare for or worry about.  Like I said, I consider it a good thing that society is full of folks with a lot of different types of views.  Especially those within norms like yourself, who just overprepare, overthink, overwork in certain areas.

From my perspective as someone who's been trying to contribute advice, I think 99% of the jokes have been in good taste and provided much needed levity. 

Speaking of... has anyone seen any hippos? 

I don't consider you fringe in general.  But in terms of 100% of the population, you're in the less than 1% in terms of preparation on this issue.  That's fringe, just on this issue.  You seem like a cool dude in general, even considering this.  No judgment attached to it, just that it's well outside of what most mainstream people prepare for or worry about.  Like I said, I consider it a good thing that society is full of folks with a lot of different types of views.  Especially those within norms like yourself, who just overprepare, overthink, overwork in certain areas.
I absolutely tend to jump headfirst into things. Ask anyone on my BBQfest team or has worked with me on a project at work... I like to cover all angles and optimize odds of success. That can definitely make me a bit demanding as a leader at times. 

I absolutely tend to jump headfirst into things. Ask anyone on my BBQfest team or has worked with me on a project at work... I like to cover all angles and optimize odds of success. That can definitely make me a bit demanding as a leader at times. 
invaluable life skills  :thumbup:

your work in this thread is greatly appreciated.  

It's more a serious thread.  But we are also making some humorous jokes.  Nothing that I would think is distasteful or over the line.  Just trying to keep a heavy conversation from getting too heavy.  

Thinking out loud here.

• To provide care to a child that's going to take some direct interaction.  (It's highly likely the caretaker gets it)
Honestly in this situation is precisely where something like hazmat suits, half-face proper respirators, and full face shields ala first responders would come in very handy. Care would need to be taken to properly disinfect the gear between each wear. Suit would need bleach or other sterilization dip/mist, toss the gloves, wipe down the mask, wash hands thorougly, then take a shower and scrub down. 

Overkill but would give you the best shot of avoiding spread. 

Honestly in this situation is precisely where something like hazmat suits, half-face proper respirators, and full face shields ala first responders would come in very handy. Care would need to be taken to properly disinfect the gear between each wear. Suit would need bleach or other sterilization dip/mist, toss the gloves, wipe down the mask, wash hands thorougly, then take a shower and scrub down. 

Overkill but would give you the best shot of avoiding spread. 
This is why I'm thinking there needs to be thoughts of 2nd level isolation. Can't have people interacting with the person interacting with the sick person.

Honestly in this situation is precisely where something like hazmat suits and full face shields ala first responders would come in very handy.
I quoted this before reading your entire post. I was assuming hazmat suits were never re-used, but if they can be cleaned and redeployed ... that helps.

Along the better-than-nothing line of thinking ... it would seem caregivers could use disposable gloves often, but simply wear long sleeves and long pants around the home-bound patient and then get used to changing into new clothes several times a day. Taking multiple showers a day. Alcohol and/or H2O2 up to the elbows perhaps more than 20 times a day depending on activity.

H2O2 on a cotton ball can be applied to the face. You can also gargle with it diluted (a lot of people swear by this as a flu/strep/cold preventative :shrug:  @Terminalxylem ?). Rubbing alcohol can also be applied to ... I guess the cheeks and mouth area very carefully, maybe the outer ears and forehead ... keep well away from eyes and mucous membranes.

This is why I'm thinking there needs to be thoughts of 2nd level isolation. Can't have people interacting with the person interacting with the sick person.
Absolutely. Especially given the extended incubation while still shedding virus. 

It's really quite the bug when you factor in all these traits. 

There comes a point where it gets untenable, IMHO. Makes me think we're much closer to treatment protocols than prevention protocols. Aren't pretty much all humans going to contract (perhaps seasonal) COVID-19 within the next 5 years or so?

Reddit Update from a Wuhan post a month ago.  

Hey guys!

I really didn’t want to talk about anything related to COVID-19 anymore but I’m still getting heaps of messages asking for an update so I thought I should. Especially since I’ve gotten so much support and well wishes from everyone. Thank you all so much ♥️

My parents and I are safe and healthy. So that’s good. There are people around us, some really close family and friends, who are sick. A couple have unfortunately passed on. It sucks cuz we don’t get to see the deceased. Once infected, they’re brought away and if they don’t make it, they’ll be sent to the crematorium straightaway. We won’t get to see them at all... I mean I get it. Get rid of infected bodies ASAP blah blah but idk it doesn’t sit well w me. Idk what’s the alternative but it’s a bit sus.

As for food. They are being really really strict about people leaving the house now. The main entrance to my condo is blocked (as like most others), and you need a permit to drive around. But you won’t be given a permit for running personal errands like groceries. Mostly they’re granted to volunteers driving medical professionals for work, food delivery services etc We can’t go to the supermarket for food. We can’t even leave our apartment complex.

So basically, this is kinda how it works. We order food from the supermarket, or vendors who have the travelling permit, then they will deliver it to our condo, and residents will go and collect them. There will be a couple of different “packages”. Like option A includes 6 potatoes, 2 cabbages, 500g beef, option B has 5 carrots, 4 broccoli etcetc I’m just giving an example. So basically you don’t really get to choose what you wanna buy. It’s whatever they have available and you choose from limited options. Which I’m not complaining about. I’m grateful that we still have food.

The thing is, we order in WeChat groups. Which means some older folks who are not good w technology might not be able to get food. So there are volunteers in each neighbourhood to help w they, among other things. My mum is one of them. The volunteers collect the food, weigh and package them and deliver them to the elderly who might be immobile or too weak to leave their house. The volunteers will also visit the chemist periodically w a list of medication that the residents need.

It’s actually really heartwarming to see everyone helping each other. Like for example one of our neighbours was running out of flour, so we gave them some of ours. People are really looking out for one another and exchanging/giving goods and stuff. There was a baby who didn’t have enough baby formula and someone else gave some of theirs. It’s all pretty cute actually haha. My mum is a champ tho. She’s running around everywhere (within our neighbourhood) weighing, packing, delivering goods to people. It was her bday 2 days ago and she literally got home at 10pm. I’ve been helping her weigh and pack stuff at home too it’s small but it’s something I guess.

I really didn’t realise how convenient our lives were before this. You gotta plan meals and use everything strategically. It’s crazy how many small details I’m aware of now that have never crossed my mind before.

I apologise if this isn’t the kind of update you were hoping to see. It’s just boring everyday stuff but I’d rather boring than anything else these days.

Keep safe everyone! Xx

TLDR: I’m okay! Parents are okay! Yes we have food!

Yeah, I'm putting tent on my list now.  This thing seems to hate the sun.  
Very good point. I've got quite a bit of camping gear (3 & 4 man tents, sleep mats/bags, etc). All would be comparatively easy to sterilize given the surface/material. Tents could be an effective quarantine tool. 

Flying to Seattle today from Miami through Dallas. Saw 2-3 masks this morning in Miami. Nothing out of the ordinary. A few more while connecting in Dallas but most were Asian travelers so this wasn’t too surprising.  Dallas has some nonstop flights to Narita that are still going apparently (saw someone’s boarding pass while transferring terminals).

If I wasn’t aware of Corona, I wouldn’t have gave the mask wearing a second thought as it was minimal @ <1% of people I saw this morning. 

It's been a very good mix of education, news, and well-timed levity. If a post was over the line, I'm 100% confident that it would be reported as needed. I think you can trust us to throw up the bat signal if we need some moderation.

Guys I take a professional bus from the burbs to downtown Houston Monday through Friday. There and back. How screwed am I?

Guys I take a professional bus from the burbs to downtown Houston Monday through Friday. There and back. How screwed am I?
Assuming it hits, you're pretty screwed.  Once it's too late, the CDC recommends telecommuting instead.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention stepped up its call Tuesday for the public to start preparing for a possible pandemic outbreak in the U.S. of the coronavirus that’s infected more than 80,000 people and killed at least 2,700 overseas in less than two months.

“We are asking the American public to work with us to prepare for the expectation that this could be bad,” a top CDC officials told reporters in a conference call outlining what schools and businesses will likely need to do if the COVID-19 virus starts to spread throughout the U.S.

Schools should consider dividing students into smaller groups or close and use “internet-based teleschooling,” Dr. Nancy Messonnier, director of the CDC’s National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, told reporters on a conference call.

“For adults, businesses can replace in-person meetings with video or telephone conferences and increase teleworking options,” Messonnier said.

It's been a very good mix of education, news, and well-timed levity. If a post was over the line, I'm 100% confident that it would be reported as needed. I think you can trust us to throw up the bat signal if we need some moderation.
Well timed levity my a**.   From the beginning of this thread i’ve warned people about the seriousness of this thing—told people that it was in absolutely poor taste to joke around about a virus that has almost certainly killed tens of thousands of people—and I got chastised for it by a bunch of people who think its cool to make dooshy comments about hoards of people dying.  I’m all for good humor and jokes—but joking, laughing and being dismissive about people dying by the masses is disgusting. Defending that type of humor is just as bad.  

Basic masks don't do anything other than:

1) keep a sick person from spreading the disease by minimizing airborne particles exiting their mouth 

2) keep you from touching your face, which moves germs from your hands to your mouth.

The only type of mask that is going to prevent airborne particles from getting into your system is an  n95 respirator, which is extremely uncomfortable to use.

Flu has still killed more people in 2020 than the coronavirus.  

Article from Feb 19th....   So far, the new coronavirus has led to more than 75,000 illnesses and 2,000 deaths, primarily in mainland China. But that's nothing compared with the flu, also called influenza. In the U.S. alone, the flu has already caused an estimated 26 million illnesses, 250,000 hospitalizations and 14,000 deaths this season, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). 
Can we make an FBG rule to stop with this junk?  We know the flu kills more right now.  No one is worried about the corona virus right now.  They are worried about the corona virus in 2 months.

It's likely 10-20x more deadly and if hospitals fill, that number could rise.  It's just such a poor comparison and shows that you really haven't investigated the situation. Because if you had, you wouldn't be making this statement that has no relevance.

Can we make an FBG rule to stop with this junk?  We know the flu kills more right now.  No one is worried about the corona virus right now.  They are worried about the corona virus in 2 months.

It's likely 10-20x more deadly and if hospitals fill, that number could rise.  It's just such a poor comparison and shows that you really haven't investigated the situation. Because if you had, you wouldn't be making this statement that has no relevance.
Not only that—the numbers outside of China clearly show that the numbers that China has reported are 100000000% false and inaccurate.  People using those numbers even knowing they are completely false is intellectually dishonest.  If we had a remotely accurate fatality count—this thing has already killed far more than the flu has.  For a bunch of people who use analytics to draft fantasy football teams—it’s mind numbing how they choose to adopt clearly tainted information and then use that information to make false claims.   China has basically shut itself down for nearly 2 months. Thousands of bodies have already been buried or burned as there are not nearly enough test kits.  If those bodies are gone before the cause of death is established—-it doesnt get added to the tally.  Metaphorically there is a giant mushroom cloud in the sky—and the Chinese government is telling us that it’s from a small house fire—and people are naive enough to believe it.   

No.  We cannot.  And I have investigated it and have indeed bought surgical masks for my family, knowing they are likely useless. 

It's not likely more deadly.  And there's no reason to pretend it is.  They've never even tried to find a cure for it in humans. Chances are they will develop one fairly quickly.  Remdesivir has already shown the potential to cure it.  It just isnt approved treatment for it yet.  Expected to be by April.  Chloroquine has shown potential.  As have some HIV related treatment drugs.

Something else: will it ever get to the point in the U.S. where people have to be wearing a mask to go to the grocery and drugstore, etc.?
If it continues on its current trajectory, yes.    There are credible sources estimating that 60-70% of the world's population will be infected.    CDC is slowly releasing guidelines for school and business closures, etc.   Unfortunately, the US response may be slowed by a lack of available tests and personnel issues resulting from budget cuts.  Both our National Safety Council and Department of Health Services epidemic teams were gutted and not replaced due to budget cuts, and the NSC global health security team was shut down in May 2018.  

Frankly at this point, I just generally assume someone is clueless when they post this, and dismiss anything else they have to say. It's not hard to just scroll past it. :lol:  

Not only that—the numbers outside of China clearly show that the numbers that China has reported are 100000000% false and inaccurate.  People using those numbers even knowing they are completely false is intellectually dishonest.  If we had a remotely accurate fatality count—this thing has already killed far more than the flu has.  For a bunch of people who use analytics to draft fantasy football teams—it’s mind numbing how they choose to adopt clearly tainted information and then use that information to make false claims.   China has basically shut itself down for nearly 2 months. Thousands of bodies have already been buried or burned as there are not nearly enough test kits.  If those bodies are gone before the cause of death is established—-it doesnt get added to the tally.  Metaphorically there is a giant mushroom cloud in the sky—and the Chinese government is telling us that it’s from a small house fire—and people are naive enough to believe it.   
I'm going to ask the moderators to ban you if you don't calm the #### down.  In fact, #### it done.

I'm going to ask the moderators to ban you if you don't calm the #### down.  In fact, #### it done.
Go for it.  I havent said anything wrong. I’ll ask the mods to ban you for joking around about this thing to the point that you changed your avatar to a hippo.  I’m not the one in the wrong here. 

Frankly at this point, I just generally assume someone is clueless when they post this, and dismiss anything else they have to say. It's not hard to just scroll past it. :lol:  
I agree, it just annoys me when someone drops in to “remind us” of something we’ve known, with the implication that it’s all a big overreaction. 

The problem is that as this thing ramps up, more people are entering this thread.   It will be harder to filter signal from noise.    Those of us that have been following the whole time understand that this is harmful disinformation, but it really should be removed.    @Joe Bryant should be more concerned with posters like this spreading disinformation than an accurate thread title or a few jokes about hippos.

No.  We cannot.  And I have investigated it and have indeed bought surgical masks for my family, knowing they are likely useless. 

It's not likely more deadly.  And there's no reason to pretend it is.  They've never even tried to find a cure for it in humans. Chances are they will develop one fairly quickly.  Remdesivir has already shown the potential to cure it.  It just isnt approved treatment for it yet.  Expected to be by April.  Chloroquine has shown potential.  As have some HIV related treatment drugs.
You’re spreading false information when you say it’s “not likely more deadly.”

If they come up with solutions, great. But for now they haven’t.

Users who are viewing this thread