What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (16 Viewers)

I have moved my colloidal silver out of my safe deposit box into my home safe as it looks too early to tell.

Unless I’m misinterpreting those posted numbers it looks like ~5700 outcomes are undetermined and of the ~240 outcomes that are determined over half are dead. But the recovered cases are gaining on dead which seems good.

Setting aside any lack of faith in the reported numbers themselves, am I reading that right?  240 “completed cases” seems low.

American Airlines is cancelling flights now, too.

I feel like the people who are saying this isn't a big deal are comparable to the people who won't vaccinate their kids.  "Sure, the World Health Organization has said this is a very dangerous thing and it could be very bad.  But who are they?  I think I know better than a bunch of researchers, doctors and epidemiologists."

Do we think Anheuser-Busch InBev has a civil case against the CDC on this one?  Years of marketing campaigns programming us that Corona is synonymous with have a nice time on a tropical beach is being flushed down the drain as everyone now associates their brand with dying Chinese people.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do we think Anheuser-Busch InBev has a civil case against the CDC on this one?  Years of marketing campaigns programming us that Corona is synonymous with have a nice time on a tropical beach is being flushed down the drain as everyone now associates their brand with dying Chinese people.
need to rename this thing to General Tso's Virus 

Oof, hadn't thought of that aspect but you have a point.

Side note to the side note - how much you think Planters put into the death of Mr. Peanut?

My company (HUGE insurance company) just required all employees coming home from China or having direct family visiting from China to work from home for 14 days. One of my team members had his in laws visit and he now has to wfh for two weeks after. 

My company (HUGE insurance company) just required all employees coming home from China or having direct family visiting from China to work from home for 14 days. One of my team members had his in laws visit and he now has to wfh for two weeks after. 
This is common sense #### at this point? No? 

A member of my team left for Chinese New Year on Saturday.  Her space is Deadass adjacent to mine at the office. She was sick when she left. I'll be damned if I'm letting her come into the office when she gets back Sunday.

Optics alone she's working from home next week. It'll be handled privately but cmon. This is common sense stuff. 

A member of my team left for Chinese New Year on Saturday.  Her space is Deadass adjacent to mine at the office. She was sick when she left. I'll be damned if I'm letting her come into the office when she gets back Sunday.

Optics alone she's working from home next week. It'll be handled privately but cmon. This is common sense stuff. 
They shouldn't allow flights in or out of China but we wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings. 

They shouldn't allow flights in or out of China but we wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings. 
wonder how their miserable little doosh puppets in the NBA would handle this if they had a tour scheduled ... would the overlord's coin trump the health concerns?   

:gang1:

thing with the seasonal flu is that the strain has been identified, and precautions (innoculation) can be taken. 

and i'd hazard to say that roughly 95% of the deaths are attributed to high risk humans - those already compromised via age or existing underlying conditions (COPD is a big one, as is diabtetes, heart disease, AIDS, etc) ... an otherwise healthy person does not contact the flu and drop ####in' dead as Dillinger ... that's pretty stinkin' uncommon, imo. 

now, this here Corona?  yeah, not that cut and dried, methinks. 
From BBC

A new study published by The Lancet medical journal gives a snapshot of 99 cases of the new coronavirus observed at Wuhan Jinyintan Hospital from 1-20 January. It reveals:

Of the 99, 49 had been exposed to the seafood and animal market believed to be at the centre of the outbreak

The average age was 55.5 years and most (67) were men

Fever and a cough were the most common symptoms

Seventeen patients developed acute respiratory distress syndrome and 11 of them died of multiple organ failure; 31 of the 99 had been released from hospital by 25 January

The researchers said the infection appeared to be "more likely to affect older males" with additional medical conditions

Of the 99, 51 suffered from a chronic condition (mostly cardiovascular or cerebrovascular)
So it seems that you have a much higher risk of getting it if you are a fiftyish plus man and have either cardiovascular or cerebrovascular issues

wonder how their miserable little doosh puppets in the NBA would handle this if they had a tour scheduled ... would the overlord's coin trump the health concerns?   

:gang1:
Yes the millionaire players living their dream and swimming in money and women in the nba are miserable, definitely not the guy on the message board mentioning them unsolicited and out of left field in a pandemic thread. 

Could be interesting lessons in containment to draw from this - if the data eventually shows that containment slowed the spread. Off hand it looks like it will (from the map in the BBC article linked above.
Maybe some of the pandemic lit will have to have a rewrite :)

Yes the millionaire players living their dream and swimming in money and women in the nba are miserable, definitely not the guy on the message board mentioning them unsolicited and out of left field in a pandemic thread. 
are they individually miserable? no.

collectively miserable as per the subservience to China? Yes. 

there was nuance in my post that i figured was simple enough to grasp ... oooops. 

shady mentioned not wanting to hurt China's feelings, and i suggested a hypothetical scenario from the most high profile example ... the NBA was there over the summer, on a barnstorming trek ... then the HK controversy arose, and we saw how that was handled - i'd personally side with the players not wanting to go/be there had it been during this scare ... doesn't mean the league's administrative arm would've felt the same.  

oh, and, ps -  i'm not miserable in the least ... life's pretty stinkin' awesome right now ... even without swimming in the money and women like those fellas - imagine that, eh?  :towelwave:

From BBC

So it seems that you have a much higher risk of getting it if you are fiftyish plus man and have either cardiovascular or cerebrovascular issues
any pandemic/virus will most likely claim the weakest of the herd first, i don't think that's debatable at all ... but the Wuhan strain seems to have the legs to count the otherwise healthy among it's fatalities. 

thanks for the link.

are they individually miserable? no.

collectively miserable as per the subservience to China? Yes. 

there was nuance in my post that i figured was simple enough to grasp ... oooops. 

shady mentioned not wanting to hurt China's feelings, and i suggested a hypothetical scenario from the most high profile example ... the NBA was there over the summer, on a barnstorming trek ... then the HK controversy arose, and we saw how that was handled - i'd personally side with the players not wanting to go/be there had it been during this scare ... doesn't mean the league's administrative arm would've felt the same.  

oh, and, ps -  i'm not miserable in the least ... life's pretty stinkin' awesome right now ... even without swimming in the money and women like those fellas - imagine that, eh?  :towelwave:
How much nuance was needed for the thug emoji you put at the end? 

Ps, glad to hear life is well. 

Could be interesting lessons in containment to draw from this - if the data eventually shows that containment slowed the spread. Off hand it looks like it will (from the map in the BBC article linked above.
Maybe some of the pandemic lit will have to have a rewrite :)
Could be...if we can actually trust the data coming out if China.

First cases have popped up in India and the Philippines.  We also have a nice contained virus factory in a cruise ship now quarantined in Italy with 6000 on board.  This thing appears to be out.

First cases have popped up in India and the Philippines.  We also have a nice contained virus factory in a cruise ship now quarantined in Italy with 6000 on board.  This thing appears to be out.
Greeeaaaaat. We're going on a cruise in late March. 

Reason number 756 to never go on a cruise. 

Do they have an accurate test for this that is fairly quick?

I ask because the symptoms are so similar to the flu (fever, cough, etc.).  

I would guess that misdiagnoses are common.

Interesting article. Sorry if already posted. Artificial intelligence predicted outbreak. 

https://www.wired.com/story/ai-epidemiologist-wuhan-public-health-warnings/?utm_source=pocket-newtab
Skynet's new strategy?  😞

They own Corona??   Sad day for sure, if not exactly the end times, when your average trusty Mexican product is owned by a Belgian-controlled "American" beverage company.  

A Danish news paper printed a picture of the chinese flag with the stars replaced by yellow virus nodes. The Chinese government is asking for a public apology.
The newspaper has told them to go pound sand
Computer system hack incoming.

A Danish news paper printed a picture of the chinese flag with the stars replaced by yellow virus nodes. The Chinese government is asking for a public apology.
The newspaper has told them to go pound sand
This was weird to me.  It's not like it was offensive.  Seemed very benign.  

Wish more places would tell people asking for an apology, "No."

American Airlines is cancelling flights now, too.

I feel like the people who are saying this isn't a big deal are comparable to the people who won't vaccinate their kids.  "Sure, the World Health Organization has said this is a very dangerous thing and it could be very bad.  But who are they?  I think I know better than a bunch of researchers, doctors and epidemiologists."
Except for the part where the people who are vaccinating their kids are trying to prevent the spread of infectious disease.  And using risk analysis and critical thinking to do so, without defaulting to hysteria about wild claims of a causal connection between vaccines and autism.  

Do they have an accurate test for this that is fairly quick?

I ask because the symptoms are so similar to the flu (fever, cough, etc.).  

I would guess that misdiagnoses are common.
The incubation period on this is up to two weeks.  That makes it extremely difficult to contain.  That’s two weeks of time someone is walking around spreading it with no idea they are even sick.

This was weird to me.  It's not like it was offensive.  Seemed very benign.  

Wish more places would tell people asking for an apology, "No."
That's it, you've triggered me. I'm going to leave work (without telling anyone), go home, shut all the blinds and sit in the dark while I harness my feelings and calm down. I will follow up with a sternly worded tweet spewing my hate for Trump. Thanks...thanks a ####### lot!

Users who are viewing this thread