What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (11 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this the one where he is none to kind to POTUS about some of the information coming out of the WH?  Ive seen headlines...but have not read/seen the interview yet.
Read it - its a short interview.

I will just say he comes across as authentic.  He does not "attack" Trump, by any stretch (and has some positive things to say about Trump despite the headlines), he just deals with reality, and the limitations he has in terms of what he can say or do.

Of course you don't.  It is easier to take apart the back to normal argument which no one is making.   There are steps to improve social distancing and sanitation without shutting down things.
You wouldn't think this would be such a hard concept to grasp but apparently it is. I think it's rooted in consuming nothing but doom and gloom media that says the only way is a long drawn out isolation and that there are no alternative approaches or current drugs that could actually work.

Read it - its a short interview.

I will just say he comes across as authentic.  He does not "attack" Trump, by any stretch (and has some positive things to say about Trump despite the headlines), he just deals with reality, and the limitations he has in terms of what he can say or do.
Starting it now...my first observation is more in jest that the first question was...

"The first question everyone has is how are you?"

Who was the FBG interviewer thing from years ago?  Yandek?  Sorry, that how are you made me think of that and laugh.  :lmao:

They opened back up after the peak though jon...not on the increasing side of the equation...that is the point.
That is my pointt.  No one is even talking about at what point we can end it.  The only suggestion is when we have a drug.  I would not be shocked if in two weeks we see the rate of deaths level off and even start to decline as a result.  This is not going to keep going up for 3 months.

OK @jon_mx and @Mr Anonymous you guys apparently want us to end the shutdown without going back to the way things were- apparently you see some kind of middle of the road solution that would rescue the economy and still treat the virus seriously without social distancing. I don’t think that’s possible because the medical experts say it’s not possible. You accuse me of having a closed mind. I wish you guys would explain how this is supposed to work. 

That is my pointt.  No one is even talking about at what point we can end it.  The only suggestion is when we have a drug.  I would not be shocked if in two weeks we see the rate of deaths level off and even start to decline as a result.  This is not going to keep going up for 3 months.
Right, let's see where we are in a few weeks.

Finding a way to re-open society while simultaneously managing the spread of the virus isn't a wishful theory, it's a must. These 2-4 weeks of isolation and distancing can't simply be an attempt to slow the spread, it has to be spent figuring out how to carry on as an active society when the 2-4 weeks end. We must come out of this soon with means and measures to go back to work without endangering everyone we encounter. Use your imagination of how that could be possible. Perhaps you'll come up with something beyond the obvious. The simple answer of shut down everything cannot continue much longer.

Because we don't know where that point is yet.  So many places are just now getting into the shutting down of non-essentials.  And others still have people dining in restaurants.

I don't think it will keep up for 3 months either...I sure as hell hope not.

But for now...the measures seem quite reasonable...same as they were reasonable a week and a half ago when we were having this same discussion.

> there is no guarantee any amount of effort would be successful in containing this if we have a major breakout.
We have pretty good evidence that quick responsiveness was quite effective in other countries.  Certainly no guarantee per se that would have happened here.  But, it was reckless and incompetence to just let it all happen without doing anything--AND telling everyone for months there was nothing to see here.  Well.  There's a lot to see here and this administration ignored all the experts telling POTUS how serious this would get.  They were right.

The White House coronavirus Task Force has two estimates being used now:

- Optimistic scenario: Peak virus will come 1 month from Saturday March 14.

- Pessimistic scenario: peak virus 3 months from March 14.

- CNBC
This is backwards. If it speaks in mid April it will be because the doubling time stays around 2 days. If so most of the population has COVID by then. If we push the double time to a week it means most of the population will have it by July. That hopefully stops the healthcare system from being overwhelmed. 

Loans to business to keep them afloat are not a slush fund.  Keeping the names private is not a good idea, but that does not make it a slush fund.
When there is no oversight, its at POTUS's discretion, and he doesn't have to disclose things until 6 months from now...yeah, its a slush fund.

Loans to business to keep them afloat are not a slush fund.  Keeping the names private is not a good idea, but that does not make it a slush fund.
It kind of does. Seen a few slush funds in local politics. It’s defined by - control by a given politician or his coterie, lots of public money, lack of criteria, and lack of transparency. It’s all here.

Finding a way to re-open society while simultaneously managing the spread of the virus isn't a wishful theory, it's a must. These 2-4 weeks of isolation and distancing can't simply be an attempt to slow the spread, it has to be spent figuring out how to carry on as an active society when the 2-4 weeks end. We must come out of this soon with means and measures to go back to work without endangering everyone we encounter. Use your imagination of how that could be possible. Perhaps you'll come up with something beyond the obvious. The simple answer of shut down everything cannot continue much longer.
Everything isn't shut down...not even close.

This question/debate was always going to come up. We're only about a week into 'stay from home', and some states/people haven't followed these recommendations from the government. The economy is crumbling.

How long can Americans realistically stay home? There's not going to be a job to come back to.

At the same time, we haven't bent the curve and, best estimates suggest that we are weeks away from doing that.

Is there a scenario where older people are still asked to stay home while healthier people (even though evidence is suggesting younger people catch this as well, although don't die at the same rates)

Can we afford to all be home until June? I don't know the answer.

This is backwards. If it speaks in mid April it will be because the doubling time stays around 2 days. If so most of the population has COVID by then. If we push the double time to a week it means most of the population will have it by July. That hopefully stops the healthcare system from being overwhelmed. 
Yeah, my read of that is that the second scenario is preferred. That's flattening the curve.

OK @jon_mx and @Mr Anonymous you guys apparently want us to end the shutdown without going back to the way things were- apparently you see some kind of middle of the road solution that would rescue the economy and still treat the virus seriously without social distancing. I don’t think that’s possible because the medical experts say it’s not possible. You accuse me of having a closed mind. I wish you guys would explain how this is supposed to work. 
Of course it is possible.  The alternative is far more damaging in the long run.  

My goodness. If America was built on the backs of people with your mindset we'd be speaking a different language and under the rule of a foreign power.

"I can't think of any solution so I'm throwing up my arms and we'll just have to stay locked up in our homes to watch society crumble."

We are not returning to normal.    There is a point somewhere in the middle where we can start opening up some business while taking more sanitary precautions and while isolating at risk people or tested positive people or other people who have been exposed.  We need to massively rapidly ramp up our PPE supplies and medical and distribute them to Hospitals and nursing homes.  At some point the cost of this shutdown has to be taken into the equation. It is literally costing our economy tens or hundreds of millions of dollars per live saved, which is an obscene amount we never have spent before.  The curve will be flattened by the actions we have taken and by taking extra precautions when we do start to reopen businesses.  Other countries have opened up and have been successful without remaining in a shut down status.  
You seem to have this idea that we're doing this massive shutdown.  We're not.  This is the list of businesses that are currently allowed to remain open in Connecticut.

For purposes of Executive Order 7H, “essential business,” means:

Essential workers in the 16 Critical Infrastructure Sectors, as defined by the federal Department of Homeland Security unless otherwise addressed in a prior or future executive order pertaining to the existing declared public health and civil preparedness emergency.

Healthcare and related operations including

biotechnology therapies

consumer health products and services

doctor and dentist offices

elder care, including adult day care

health care plans and health care data

home health care workers or aides

hospitals

manufacturing, distributing, warehousing, and supplying of pharmaceuticals, including

research and development

medical marijuana dispensaries and producers

medical supplies and equipment providers, including devices, diagnostics, services, and

any other healthcare related supplies or services

medical wholesale and distribution

nursing homes, or residential health care facilities or congregate care facilities

pharmacies

physical therapy and chiropractic offices

research and laboratory services, including testing and treatment of COVID-19

veterinary and animal health services

walk-in-care health facilities

3. Infrastructure including

airports/airlines

commercial trucking

dam maintenance and support

education-related functions at the primary, secondary, or higher education level to

provide support for students, including distribution of meals or faculty conducting e-

learning

hotels and other places of accommodation

water and wastewater operations, systems, and businesses

telecommunications and data centers

transportation infrastructure including bus, rail, for-hire vehicles and vehicle rentals,

and garages

utilities including power generation, fuel supply, and transmission

4. All manufacturing and corresponding supply chains, including aerospace, agriculture, and related support businesses

5. Retail including

appliances, electronics, computers, and telecom equipment

big-box stores or wholesale clubs, provided they also sell groceries, consumer health products, or operate a pharmacy

convenience stores

gas stations

grocery stores including all food and beverage retailers

guns and ammunition

hardware, paint, and building material stores, including home appliance sales/repair

liquor/package stores and manufacturer permittees

pharmacies

pet and pet supply stores

6. Food and agriculture, including

farms and farmer’s markets

food manufacturing, processing, storage, and distribution facilities

nurseries, garden centers, and agriculture supply stores

restaurants/bars (provided compliance with all applicable executive orders is

maintained)

7. Services including

accounting and payroll services

animal shelters or animal care or management, including boarding, grooming, pet walking and pet sitting

auto supply, repair, towing, and service, including roadside assistance

bicycle repair and service

building cleaning and maintenance

child care services

critical operations support for financial institutions

financial advisors

financial institutions, including banks, credit unions, and check cashing services

funeral homes, crematoriums, and cemeteries

insurance companies

laundromats/dry cleaning

legal and accounting services

mail and shipping services

marinas and marine repair and service

news and media

real estate transactions and related services, including residential leasing and renting

religious services (subject to Executive Order 7D limiting gatherings to 50 people)

storage for Essential Businesses

trash and recycling collection, hauling, and processing

warehouse/distribution, shipping, and fulfillment

8. Providers of basic necessities to economically disadvantaged populations including

food banks

homeless shelters and congregate care facilities

human services providers whose function includes the direct care of patients in state- licensed or funded voluntary programs; the care, protection, custody and oversight of individuals both in the community and in state-licensed residential facilities; those operating community shelters and other critical human services agencies providing direct care or support social service agencies

9. Construction including

all skilled trades such as electricians, HVAC, and plumbers

general construction, both commercial and residential

other related construction firms and professionals for essential infrastructure or for emergency repair and safety purposes

planning, engineering, design, bridge inspection, and other construction support activities

10. Services necessary to maintain the safety, sanitation and essential operations of all residences and other buildings (including services necessary to secure and maintain non- essential workplaces)

building cleaners or janitors

building code enforcement

disinfection

doormen

emergency management and response

fire prevention and response

general maintenance whether employed by the entity directly or a vendor

home-related services, including real estate transactions, closings, appraisals, and moving services

landscaping services

law enforcement

outdoor maintenance, including pool service

pest control services

security and maintenance, including steps reasonably necessary to secure and maintain non-essential businesses

state marshals

11. Vendors that provide essential services or products, including logistics and technology support, child care, and services needed to ensure the continuing operation of government agencies and provide for the health, safety and welfare of the public including

billboard leasing and maintenance

child care services

essential government services

government owned or leased buildings

information technology and information security

logistics

technology support

12. Defense

· defense and national security-related business and operations supporting the U.S. Government or a contractor to the US government. 

If the function of your business is not listed above, but you believe that it is essential or it is an entity providing essential services or functions, you may request designation as an Essential Business.

My goodness. If America was built on the backs of people with your mindset we'd be speaking a different language and under the rule of a foreign power.

"I can't think of any solution so I'm throwing up my arms and we'll just have to stay locked up in our homes to watch society crumble."
Can you please stop with the platitudes and explain how this is supposed to work? 

This question/debate was always going to come up. We're only about a week into 'stay from home', and some states/people haven't followed these recommendations from the government. The economy is crumbling.

How long can Americans realistically stay home? There's not going to be a job to come back to.

At the same time, we haven't bent the curve and, best estimates suggest that we are weeks away from doing that.

Is there a scenario where older people are still asked to stay home while healthier people (even though evidence is suggesting younger people catch this as well, although don't die at the same rates)

Can we afford to all be home until June? I don't know the answer.
I agree for the most part, but I would say we have already bent the curve.  The stats for deaths is about an 18-day lag before the results are seen in hard data.  

You seem to have this idea that we're doing this massive shutdown.  We're not.  This is the list of businesses that are currently allowed to remain open in Connecticut.
Yes...the list of exceptions on these "shelter in place" or "safer at home" things is quite large.  This is nowhere near a shut down. 

That’s smart stuff and I think you’re right.

I'll bite.  What's a "slush fund"?
A slush fund is money used for illicit or illegal purposes.  This is a loan to businesses in need.  The money will still be accounted for and used for legal purposes.  Now the 6-month provision is odd and should be removed, but that does not make it a slush fund.

To be honest, I think people ARE using their imaginations.  Examples that come to mind include "working from home", "virtual schooling" (we are starting this next week I believe), restaurants being open for takeout/delivery but not sit down meals, not closing beaches rather closing the parks and public parking areas on the beaches etc.  It sucks, but the answer to a social problem is society, not the government.  The longer we resist doing the needful, the more pain we're going to experience.  INDIVIDUALS are the answer here and in this instance it requires a #### ton of them to be on the same page.  Putting people back to work means masks, sanitation etc.  We can't even get enough masks to our first responders and doctors/nurses.  How are we supposed to get them for 200+ million others?  And I reject this notion that "everything is shut down".  It's not even close to true.  There are people out everywhere.  It's WAY better here than other countries.  What we're doing today is putting us on the path of where Italy's at.  Personally, I don't want to see that happen here, but that's where we're headed.

Can you please stop with the platitudes and explain how this is supposed to work? 
It's taking place as we speak and it's an effort that has to run round the clock until enough resources are in place to end all quarantines and business shutdowns...

1) Expand hospital and ICU capacity by adding beds, supplying respirators, masks, gloves, PPE (underway)

2) Advise businesses manufacturing personal protective masks and gloves that the required supply is the ENTIRE NATION not just health care workers. HCW supplied first (unknown)

3) Continue stockpiling the drugs which have been working elsewhere and are currently working here (underway)

4) Continue testing other promising drugs to not only provide alternatives in the event a given drug stops working but also to ease supply concerns (underway)

5) Expedite vaccines so that what becomes manageable in the short term becomes a non issue by year's end (underway, timetable hopeful)

6) Devise a methodology to supply each and every American with masks and gloves which become mandatory for wear in public (unknown)

7) Determine when the supply of hospital beds, ICU capacity, PPE, ventilators, masks, gloves will meet the demand of the entire nation (unknown)

8 ) Announce a date in which all current non essential businesses will be allowed to re-open and pair that with the mandate that masks and gloves are mandatory while in public (unknown)

We simply can't wait for this virus to completely disappear. The consequences of shutting down the economy in the meantime will far exceed the loss of life from the virus. And that moment is coming soon. It's probable that the loss of life simply from workers losing health benefits alone will far exceed the loss of life from the virus. And that's not even mentioning the loss of life that corresponds with people running out of money (lack of food, shelter, medicine, mental health). A combination of ramping up ability to keep up with the virus via more beds, treatment drugs, etc. paired with putting society back to work in personal protective gear of their own would be a means to keep the numbers manageable while society functions as normal, people working, spending, traveling, etc. Once a date is known that the supply of the above essentials is know it must be announced so businesses and individuals have a target date to aim for and to act as a stabilizing force economically and for people's mental health.

I agree for the most part, but I would say we have already bent the curve.  The stats for deaths is about an 18-day lag before the results are seen in hard data.  
And this is the dangerous part...we have NO CLUE what our denominator is at this point.  We continue to be WAY behind in testing.  We are still firmly in the "we don't know what we don't know" phase, but you believe we've already bent the curve.  What do you base this on?

A slush fund is money used for illicit or illegal purposes.  This is a loan to businesses in need.  The money will still be accounted for and used for legal purposes.  Now the 6-month provision is odd and should be removed, but that does not make it a slush fund.
That's a really odd definition, and not one I've ever heard used before.  I think the more common definition of a slush fund is money that is allocated but the use of which is unregulated, and typically controlled or directed by one person or group.  The point of calling this particular provision a slush fund is precisely the fact that it would be unregulated and untraceable.

In any case, what we call it is semantics.  The point is that it's a bad idea, and really, an indefensible idea.

It's taking place as we speak and it's an effort that has to run round the clock until enough resources are in place to end all quarantines and business shutdowns...

1) Expand hospital and ICU capacity by adding beds, supplying respirators, masks, gloves, PPE (underway)

2) Advise businesses manufacturing personal protective masks and gloves that the required supply is the ENTIRE NATION not just health care workers. HCW supplied first (unknown)

3) Continue stockpiling the drugs which have been working elsewhere and are currently working here (underway)

4) Continue testing other promising drugs to not only provide alternatives in the event a given drug stops working but also to ease supply concerns (underway)

5) Expedite vaccines so that what becomes manageable in the short term becomes a non issue by year's end (underway, timetable hopeful)

6) Devise a methodology to supply each and every American with masks and gloves which become mandatory for wear in public (unknown)

7) Determine when the supply of hospital beds, ICU capacity, PPE, ventilators, masks, gloves will meet the demand of the entire nation (unknown)

8 ) Announce a date in which all current non essential businesses will be allowed to re-open and pair that with the mandate that masks and gloves are mandatory while in public (unknown)

We simply can't wait for this virus to completely disappear. The consequences of shutting down the economy in the meantime will far exceed the loss of life from the virus. And that moment is coming soon. It's probable that the loss of life simply from workers losing health benefits alone will far exceed the loss of life from the virus. And that's not even mentioning the loss of life that corresponds with people running out of money (lack of food, shelter, medicine, mental health). A combination of ramping up ability to keep up with the virus via more beds, treatment drugs, etc. paired with putting society back to work in personal protective gear of their own would be a means to keep the numbers manageable while society functions as normal, people working, spending, traveling, etc. Once a date is known that the supply of the above essentials is know it must be announced so businesses and individuals have a target date to aim for and to act as a stabilizing force economically and for people's mental health.
Good...let's do this.  In the meantime, lock yourself down and stay away from each other.  It's worth noting though, accomplishing this list and getting all this in order is going to take magnitudes of time longer than what we are being asked to do today.  So I struggle to see how this gets us back up and running ASAP.  I agree all these things would get us back on track, but we can't leave one of them off the list when talking about letting people out and about with the virus raging through the country.  Also, for those who refuse to comply (and you know those people exist), I would expect you support them being thrown in jail for not complying?

So you're suggesting we should move forward with he first 7 steps, move forward with step #8 once the others are complete, and in the meantime, shut everything down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread