What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (11 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The following is not directed at you GM -

Who the eff cares where it's manufactured if it's an American owned business called on to manufacture the items for US use?

Seems like we're pissing in the kool-aid because we don't like the flavor.
Then the problem is that since this is a worldwide issue,  now the trick is finding healthy workers, getting raw materials in and finished products out in a timely manner, not to mention that if this stuff is being shipped by air, it's going to be stupidly expensive to send stateside, assuming that the originating country decides to let that stuff go in the first place. There are still logistical challenges, no matter where the stuff is manufactured.

Finding a way to re-open society while simultaneously managing the spread of the virus isn't a wishful theory, it's a must. These 2-4 weeks of isolation and distancing can't simply be an attempt to slow the spread, it has to be spent figuring out how to carry on as an active society when the 2-4 weeks end. We must come out of this soon with means and measures to go back to work without endangering everyone we encounter. Use your imagination of how that could be possible. Perhaps you'll come up with something beyond the obvious. The simple answer of shut down everything cannot continue much longer.
I know, man. I want Tony/Khabib to happen too. 

Well, there are, they're just in Asia.  Guy that rents out our back warehouse owns a toy company with factories in Thailand and Taiwan.  He and I were talking on Friday and he's already drawn up a business plan to begin manufacturing masks and indicated he could begin production immediately if need be.  He even mentioned the ability to use recycled material to produce these masks right away

Just a personal anecdote from my limited knowledge of the world. 
Transport to the US should be available on the cheap, too

Coronavirus pandemic 'accelerating': WHO chief

The head of the World Health Organization (WHO) says the coronavirus pandemic is "accelerating".

Speaking at a press briefing in Geneva, WHO Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said: “It took 67 days from the first reported case to reach 100,000 cases, 11 days for the second 100,000 cases, and just four days for the third 100,000 cases.”

He said he would address G20 heads of state and government this week to ask them to work together to boost production of protective gear.

I want to add that IF one wants to look at things via a single stat, it's not death rates....it's number infected.  You can't die from it if you don't have it.  Infected numbers going down is a clear sign that we are flattening the curve.  People who happened not to die from it is not a sign that we are flattening the curve and our conversation was about flattening the curve.
We have a real good idea on how many people it is killing.  Getting a handle on the number of people infected we may never know, but will extrapolate based on several things including the death statistics. The death statistic is the most accurate stat we have. 

Coronavirus pandemic 'accelerating': WHO chief

The head of the World Health Organization (WHO) says the coronavirus pandemic is "accelerating".

Speaking at a press briefing in Geneva, WHO Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said: “It took 67 days from the first reported case to reach 100,000 cases, 11 days for the second 100,000 cases, and just four days for the third 100,000 cases.”

He said he would address G20 heads of state and government this week to ask them to work together to boost production of protective gear.
While I am sure he is right the numbers were going to grow anyway simply because we are testing more

We have a real good idea on how many people it is killing.  Getting a handle on the number of people infected we may never know, but will extrapolate based on several things including the death statistics. The death statistic is the most accurate stat we have. 
No less accurate than hospitalized

Then the problem is that since this is a worldwide issue,  now the trick is finding healthy workers, getting raw materials in and finished products out in a timely manner, not to mention that if this stuff is being shipped by air, it's going to be stupidly expensive to send stateside, assuming that the originating country decides to let that stuff go in the first place. There are still logistical challenges, no matter where the stuff is manufactured.
Definitively expensive and obstacles galore. And when the alternative is weighed...

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it filled with things not for the citizens?
We have to pass it to see what’s in it....

all kidding aside side I don’t know yet.  There was talk of emissions regulations, student debt bailouts and patriot act rollback that they wanted in there but I can’t say it’s in whatever it is she just released.

Walk me through this.  We know the number of people it's killed since Feb/March right?  That stat is "accurate".  How is it useful?  What are you extrapolating exactly?

Hong Kong (CNN) - Only a week ago, Hong Kong seemed like a model for how to contain the novel coronavirus, with a relatively small number of cases despite months of being on the front lines of the outbreak.

That was in large part thanks to action taken early on, while cases were spreading across mainland China, to implement measures that are now familiar throughout the world: virus mapping, social distancing, intensive hand-washing, and wearing masks and other protective clothing.

Hong Kong was proof that these measures worked, with the city of 7.5 million only reporting some 150 cases at the start of March, even as the number of infections spiked in other East Asian territories like South Korea and Japan, and spread rapidly across Europe and North America.

Now, however, Hong Kong is providing a very different object lesson -- what happens when you let your guard down too soon. The number of confirmed cases has almost doubled in the past week, with many imported from overseas, as Hong Kong residents who had left -- either to work or study abroad, or to seek safety when the city seemed destined for a major outbreak earlier this year -- return, bringing the virus back with them.

On Monday, Hong Kong Chief Executive Carrie Lam announced that all non-residents would be barred from the territory as of Wednesday, the latest addition to a raft of new measures.

This is a pattern playing out across parts of Asia -- mainland China, Singapore, Taiwan -- that were among the first to tackle the outbreak. All are now introducing new restrictions as a sudden wave of renewed cases begins to crest.

I don’t know yet.

Then why would you jump to the "BS"  declaration @The Ref?  I have seen they want the elections protected.

*it could be BS. In either direction.

all kidding aside side I don’t know yet.  There was talk of emissions regulations, student debt bailouts and patriot act rollback that they wanted in there but I can’t say it’s in whatever it is she just released.
I remember when it was get the checks out and then add these things separately later. But someone decided it had to be added now. Anyone can guess why the need to be the last one adding to the bill is so sought after.

I don’t know yet.

Then why would you jump to the "BS"  declaration @The Ref?  I have seen they want the elections protected.

*it could be BS. In either direction.
You taking bets if there are items in this 1200 page bill that have zero to do with a bailout that the GOP won’t live with?

could write up this bill in 20 pages if 15 of us in here got together.

You taking bets if there are items in this 1200 page bill that have zero to do with a bailout that the GOP won’t live with?

I'm willing to bet that if the Rs added items (like they did with 500Billion slush) that the Ds are going to want to add items.

I know for a fact the 500B was not in the Bill when it hit the Senate from the House.

Im all for rolling back patriot act provisions.  Student debt?  I have issues with bailouts but not with some concessions being made in the current climate of people hurting or facing being out of work.

As almost always, it’s not about the individuals it’s about how the collective group acts.  

It reminds me of what my Grandpa use to tell me.  “Individuals can be smart but people are stupid”.   This has proven correct time and time again.  
I'm thinking of forming a committee to study this problem.

It is spending 2 trillion dollars. If you are describing that in 20 pages you are way too lax with guidance on where this money goes. 

Trump won’t invoke dpa powers because he has no idea what to do with them.  No one around him does either.

It is just easier for him to let the states do it.

Like when the owner’s son takes over the company.  Spouts off all these pie in the sky ideas then tells everyone else to get it done while he goes on a golf vacation.

This is Trump’s whole life in a nutshell.
I'm assuming there is another reason.  If he invokes it, does it require to companies to make products for set prices or something.  There has to be a $$ reason why it hasn't been invoked yet.

Says who?

That's nonsense. I have zero doubt US businesses could produce the needed supply of gloves and masks required for all American in 3 weeks. I think there's a fair chance it's already underway.
In 3 weeks??  Where are they going to get the machines to make the masks and gloves?  If you had a team of engineers it will take more than 3 weeks to get the concept to make the machine.  Unless someone is going to just start handing out design files for these machines.  Even then you need to manufacture the individual components, purchase the purchase parts (cylinders, hardware, bearings, etc) and then assemble along with doing all the wiring/controls.  Good luck...I work for a medical device manufacturer, we actually make a majority of our products in US.  We are looking to increase our production of one of our product that has had a huge spike in orders, contacted a machine builder we have worked with in the pass and they are telling us they can help us in 8wks with a machine that is identical to what we already have (no need to design, test, etc).  I thought that was very reasonable, assuming others are canceling their orders that they can do it this fast.  Oh yeah we used to make mask, the machine was built in Taiwan and was a POS. Glad we got out of it 2 years or so ago. Orders would've been through the roof (good) but our maintenance and production employees would be overwhelmed trying to stay out of BO situation.

You'll see more pork than if you visited a pig farm.
The whole thing is pork in a way. We are going to be picking which industries survive and which don't. I would think Congress members are fighting very hard to get the businesses from their State and district to get a piece of the pie. Which is exactly what they were elected for. 

For you guys going stir crazy check out Civ VI.   All I know is I started the series when my kids were breastfeeding and next thing I knew they were riding bicycles.  You can waste years doing "just one more turn".
If I've never played a Civ game in my life, can I start with VI?  Also, I have an Xbox and would rather use it than a computer. 

If I've never played a Civ game in my life, can I start with VI?  Also, I have an Xbox and would rather use it than a computer. 
Yeah, there's no story line or anything, it's just the most recent version. I haven't played it on console, but it's probably OK.

There is a weird things that seems to happen on these boards:  When conservative commentors here see something that Dems do wrong, they appropriately call out the Dems.  When they see Republicans do something wrong, they say Both Sides are doing something wrong. 

It's like clockwork. 
I have no idea what you’re talking about.  I am not and have never been a Republican . But I guess the above makes you feel better about your silly little group of politicians?

There is a weird things that seems to happen on these boards:  When conservative commentors here see something that Dems do wrong, they appropriately call out the Dems.  When they see Republicans do something wrong, they say Both Sides are doing something wrong. 

It's like clockwork. 
In this instance...there is some both sides here as the dems proposal seems also bad. The laughable part is getting the GOP side to even admit thwor own screw ups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread