What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (14 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday, December 7. 1941, was a day that will live in...actually it was a perfect day. We lost a few ships because of a surprise attack that nobody could have seen coming. We had the largest, greatest navy in the history of the world and then they came to me and said some of its been sunk, and I said what? But it will all be back sooner than you think. Now the previous administration left the cupboard bare in Honolulu but despite that we still performed very well. And this morning I was on the phone with all the admirals in the Navy and everyone of them said, thank you for your help Mr President and how do you know so much about ships? I should have been an admiral. 

Now there are Marines at Wake Island, and after what happened at Pearl Harbor the fake news says they’re surrounded and short of guns and ammunition. That’s fake news. I talked to the commander and they’ve got plenty. And anyhow that’s the Navy’s job to get them whatever they need. The federal government is not a shipping clerk. But I was thinking; if they’re out of regular ammunition can’t they make their own? The ancient Tahitians  lived on those islands for years and they had guns didn’t they? You can make ammo out of bamboos and coconuts. I’m no artillery expert but I’ve heard it can be done. 

Now this General MacArthur in Manila, he says he’s cut off too. I know him from way back he’s always been a liberal and a big spender. Always complaining to the media. I’d like to hear some appreciation for once. 

Anyhow we may be at war this morning I don’t know. I get along well with Emperor Hirohito so we’ll have to see. If we are at war it won’t last long. I think by January or February things will be back to normal. Although that’s completely up to the military. It’s not my responsibility. Let’s talk again tomorrow. 

Yesterday, December 7. 1941, was a day that will live in...actually it was a perfect day. We lost a few ships because of a surprise attack that nobody could have seen coming. We had the largest, greatest navy in the history of the world and then they came to me and said some of its been sunk, and I said what? But it will all be back sooner than you think. Now the previous administration left the cupboard bare in Honolulu but despite that we still performed very well. And this morning I was on the phone with all the admirals in the Navy and everyone of them said, thank you for your help Mr President and how do you know so much about ships? I should have been an admiral. 

Now there are Marines at Wake Island, and after what happened at Pearl Harbor the fake news says they’re surrounded and short of guns and ammunition. That’s fake news. I talked to the commander and they’ve got plenty. And anyhow that’s the Navy’s job to get them whatever they need. The federal government is not a shipping clerk. But I was thinking; if they’re out of regular ammunition can’t they make their own? The ancient Tahitians  lived on those islands for years and they had guns didn’t they? You can make ammo out of bamboos and coconuts. I’m no artillery expert but I’ve heard it can be done. 

Now this General MacArthur in Manila, he says he’s cut off too. I know him from way back he’s always been a liberal and a big spender. Always complaining to the media. I’d like to hear some appreciation for once. 

Anyhow we may be at war this morning I don’t know. I get along well with Emperor Hirohito so we’ll have to see. If we are at war it won’t last long. I think by January or February things will be back to normal. Although that’s completely up to the military. It’s not my responsibility. Let’s talk again tomorrow. 
Not exactly FDR, huh?

Trump: "There has been so much unnecessary death in this country. It could have been stopped and it could have been stopped short, but somebody a long time ago, it seems, decided not to do it that way. And the whole world is suffering because of it."

🤔

Trump: "There has been so much unnecessary death in this country. It could have been stopped and it could have been stopped short, but somebody a long time ago, it seems, decided not to do it that way. And the whole world is suffering because of it."

🤔
GYN-ah

President Trump just said he would like to see schools open up right now even for a very short period of time. He stated that “young people don’t seem affected by this disease.” 

This is ignorant. And what’s depressing about it is that he apparently has learned nothing from the medical experts he has surrounded himself with. 

We’re at 56K deaths

Trump said today we're probably heading to a death toll of 60,000 or 70,000.

Last week he said, "We could end up at 50 to 60."

There’s going to be so much chaos this year. A lot of people are going to die unnecessarily. A lot of businesses are going to go under because we don’t have proper testing and folks are going to be scared to spend money. It’s likely to be very awful. Hope I’m wrong. 

President Trump just said he would like to see schools open up right now even for a very short period of time. He stated that “young people don’t seem affected by this disease.” 

This is ignorant. And what’s depressing about it is that he apparently has learned nothing from the medical experts he has surrounded himself with. 
Reportedly he encouraged governors today to reopen schools.  

Few parents are going to buy into that idea.

He's the same guy who wanted "packed churches by Easter".

We’re at 56K deaths

Trump said today we're probably heading to a death toll of 60,000 or 70,000.

Last week he said, "We could end up at 50 to 60."
Take whatever the reported gross number of Covid-19 deaths is and multiply it by a factor of 1.5x to 3x. The final tally of American deaths due to the H1N1 virus was roughly 7x higher than those reported contemporaneously. Clearly there is a lot more attention being paid to Covid, because it is a much larger crisis, so the undercount won't be of the same magnitude. But so far, nationally, the semi-official tally of Covid-19 deaths appears to be about 50% of the real total attributable to the pandemic.

It is worth noting that a death can be pandemic-related even if Covid-19 isn't listed as the primary cause of death. In fact, in some cases, the death could be pandemic-related even if the victim doesn't have the virus. For example, deaths that occurred in NYC due to the inability of medical responders to get to a person who was suffering from an otherwise treatable illness or trauma. 

Unfortunately this is very tough to get a highly accurate count of "excess deaths" in near real time, as mortality reporting in the US takes a long time to be updated and revised properly. Epidemiologists only view the data as fairly complete at an 18-24 month lag.

I would be surprised if schools re-opened.  Our schools have already announced they are closed for the year. 

Someone must have told Trump that kids out of school make it more difficult for parents to go back to work, but I don't see it happening in many places.

The same way I feel about liberals on a low rent message board dealing in falsehoods.  😜

seems like you guys have been doing that for the last three and a half years.  Maybe you should heed your own advice.

Let's try that for starters.
I’m so sorry that you went through that

That sounds really tough

No wonder you’re angry

That’s so understandable 

Thats not silly at all 

I’m listening 

I’m here for you

How can I support you?

Would you like a hug? If you’re OK with that.

Would you like my perspective, or would you just like me to listen to you?

I want you to know you’re an important and valued member of the PSF, and we’re all so grateful for your contributions.

This place is better because you’re here.

They say no two snowflakes are the same, but how could they possible know? They'd have to get all the snow in the world in history in a single room, and no way you could find something that big, unless you could book the Meadowlands, and how much would that cost?
I don't know. It would cost as much as much time as a train leaving Los Angeles headed to New York that stops at least six times.

Crazy, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Lotta folks talkin about people and not ideas in here.

No one wins partisan slap fights.  Can we drop this bickering?
I agree, we have people dying from this, very poor leadership in the Oval Office, states and people in them wanting to do pretty much whatever they want, not realizing/caring that this is not a short term issue; and to top it all off, no sports as a distraction. The past 2 months have felt like 5 years, as well.

He also bragged that we’re now up to 4 million tests a month. We need 500,000 tests a day! 
Yeah, so nobody in the world has that capacity and nobody will anytime soon.

Time to let the pipe dreams go and move on.  Save lives, the economy and livelihoods.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, so nobody in the world has that capacity and nobody will anytime soon.

Time to let the pipe dreams go and move on.  Save lives, the economy and livelihoods.
Why not?  4M tests nationally is like 240K for NY state per month.  Does that sound like too much?  

Why am i being told that America isn't great enough to do hard things now? 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread