What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (9 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So at the time, he believed that it was not engineered in a lab, which we still don't know that it was.  And he believed that masks wouldn't be effective, until he gained more knowledge that they would be.

So what am I missing?  What is so damning about the emails?  It's only bad if he purposefully lied, not gave his opinion at the time with the available knowledge he had at the time
I think the fact that there was some evidence that the virus was engineered in a lab yet publicly he insisted it was formed naturally (so as to oppose Trump)? I dunno. Yeah the emails arent so damning and Im one of the guys who thinks Fauci was a disaster.

I think the fact that there was some evidence that the virus was engineered in a lab yet publicly he insisted it was formed naturally (so as to oppose Trump)? I dunno. Yeah the emails arent so damning and Im one of the guys who thinks Fauci was a disaster.
I saw it written (not sure if true) that the person that brought up the "engineered in lab" to Fauci later published a paper saying that it wasn't engineered in a lab.

Here's a snip from an article yesterday:

---------------------
Following the publication of the Fauci emails, Roger Pielke Jr., a professor of environmental studies at University of Colorado Boulder, asked Andersen on Twitter to explain what "all find the genome inconsistent with expectations from evolutionary theory" means in layman's terms.

Andersen replied: "it specifically means we thought—on preliminary look—that the virus could have been engineered and/or manipulated. Turns out the data suggest otherwise—which is the conclusion of our paper."

In a separate tweet Andersen wrote: "As I have said many times, we seriously considered a lab leak a possibility. However, significant new data, extensive analyses and many discussions led to the conclusions in our paper.

"What the email shows is a clear example of the scientific process."

--------------------

So, no, I don't think Fauci was trying to gaslight or hiding the truth or had knowledge of the origin of the SARS-CoV-2 virus.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Z Machine said:
I saw it written (not sure if true) that the person that brought up the "engineered in lab" to Fauci later published a paper saying that it wasn't engineered in a lab.

Here's a snip from an article yesterday:

---------------------
Following the publication of the Fauci emails, Roger Pielke Jr., a professor of environmental studies at University of Colorado Boulder, asked Andersen on Twitter to explain what "all find the genome inconsistent with expectations from evolutionary theory" means in layman's terms.

Andersen replied: "it specifically means we thought—on preliminary look—that the virus could have been engineered and/or manipulated. Turns out the data suggest otherwise—which is the conclusion of our paper."

In a separate tweet Andersen wrote: "As I have said many times, we seriously considered a lab leak a possibility. However, significant new data, extensive analyses and many discussions led to the conclusions in our paper.

"What the email shows is a clear example of the scientific process."

--------------------

So, no, I don't think Fauci was trying to gaslight or hiding the truth or had knowledge of the origin of the SARS-CoV-2 virus.
You also have to remember that these types of viruses often jump from animals to humans.  So it was then, and still is, the most probable answer.

Max Power said:
By Jan 2020 people were already telling Fauci the virus looked "potentially engineered" and was "inconsistent with expectations from evolutionary theory"
think about what it would mean for Fauci to run around saying that in early 2020.  There would be demand for massive repercussion against China, potentially triggering a geo-political conflict which could easily turn violent and damage any trade negotiations the Trump admin. was having at the time.  Plus, there would be lots of anti-Asian discrimination and violence (i.e. more than we see already).

If you are going to pull on that thread, you damn well better have your facts straight.  You better know it to be true, 100%, without a doubt.  

think about what it would mean for Fauci to run around saying that in early 2020.  There would be demand for massive repercussion against China, potentially triggering a geo-political conflict which could easily turn violent and damage any trade negotiations the Trump admin. was having at the time.  Plus, there would be lots of anti-Asian discrimination and violence (i.e. more than we see already).

If you are going to pull on that thread, you damn well better have your facts straight.  You better know it to be true, 100%, without a doubt.  
So you want your scientists to consider politics when they make scientific statements?

I don't have a link but yes that's the case in my opinion.  Mostly because this type of virus has historically almost always jumped from animals.  
Ill have to fond it...but last week there was conversation about a consensus of scientific journals agreed with it in regards to Covid and were disagreeing with the created in lab theory last year.  

So you want your scientists to consider politics when they make scientific statements?
It wasn't a scientific statement of fact.  It was a conjecture that was since disproven.  If Fauci had gone public with that conjecture and then articles were published a week later contradicting him, what would you say/think?

That's not conclusive yet, either.  It may never be conclusive without some sort of breakthrough (info leak from China, intermediate species + precursor virus found, etc.)
Correct...I meant that was the prevailing opinion last year during the tome period being discussed in regards to Fauci

It wasn't a scientific statement of fact.  It was a conjecture that was since disproven.  If Fauci had gone public with that conjecture and then articles were published a week later contradicting him, what would you say/think?
Are you saying the lab leak theory is disproven?

I'm saying you get your #### together before you make a public statement.  Fauci is no rookie.  He has been there since the mid 80's.  You don't last that long without knowing how to blend politics and science.

I'm saying you get your #### together before you make a public statement.  Fauci is no rookie.  He has been there since the mid 80's.  You don't last that long without knowing how to blend politics and science.
Just like his statement on masks?  Doesn't seem like he had his #### together then.... or since...

He's a politician.

He's a government employee that's surfed a desk his entire career.  Do you know how hard it is to get fired from a government job? LOL If Fauci was half the scientist you make him out to be he'd be pulling in a double digit million dollar salary from one of the big guys. 

He's a government employee that's surfed a desk his entire career.  Do you know how hard it is to get fired from a government job? LOL If Fauci was half the scientist you make him out to be he'd be pulling in a double digit million dollar salary from one of the big guys. 
I know it's hard to imagine but there are people out there who are motivated by things other than money.

I know it's hard to imagine but there are people out there who are motivated by things other than money.
And he is highly published and is highly respected in his field

But fat guy on his mom's sofa watched a youtube video so he knows better....

Isnt he a scientist and not a politician?

Its amazing as he had no problem putting out incorrect information early on in the pandemic about other topics.

Isnt he a scientist and not a politician?
At his level on the world stage, Fauci must make many political calculations when he speaks publicly. He can't just spout off and hide behind "but it's science!"

At the top of the mountain, every field -- and doubly, every international field -- has political considerations.

Sure, but it's not this guy.  Guy has flopped stances on every single issue just to stay in the limelight.  Highest paid government employee!   :lmao:

At his level on the world stage, Fauci must make many political calculations when he speaks publicly. He can't just spout off and hide behind "but it's science!"

At the top of the mountain, every field -- and doubly, every international field -- has political considerations.
Its amazing. I heard the opposite all last year.

Sure, but it's not this guy.  Guy has flopped stances on every single issue just to stay in the limelight.  Highest paid government employee!   :lmao:
No reasonable person thinks that someone in the "limelight" is going to make more money working for the government then they would make taking that star power to a private company.  

That's obviously not true.  It's not like he went from saying, "inject some bleach and put these lights in your lungs." to "Wow, that might be dangerous, don't do any of that."

Also, he's been pretty firm that everyone eligible should get a vaccine as a soon as possible.
All the people questioning Fauci apparently have forgotten "The virus will go away when summer comes" or "take HCQ"

They've come around since those studies.  The study MSM pointed to over the summer saying it was unsafe had to be retracted.

I'm not going to argue HCQ is the cure, but it also isnt the punchline libs think it is. 

They've come around since those studies.  The study MSM pointed to over the summer saying it was unsafe had to be retracted.

I'm not going to argue HCQ is the cure, but it also isnt the punchline libs think it is. 
Did you read the meta analysis?  They review over 50 separate studies that show it doesn't work and in fact lead to more mortality.

Science is much larger than what you read on right wing websites

And to answer your point, the answer is no they have not come around

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread