What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (10 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't carry "everywhere" but decent attempt to paint it as such I suppose

I don't try and force you to carry a gun, how about you don't try and force me to get a shot ?

I honestly think if you DID carry you'd be safer, and you honestly think if I got the shot I'd be safer but one here isn't trying to force the other.

See ?
I’m not trying to force you to do a thing.  Just pointing out you’re a scared person while calling other people scared.  That’s all.  

but nobody freaks out about those problems but this problem they have been worked into such a frenzy/knee jerk/scared mentality that its absolutely fascinating to watch
The problems aren't comparable -- if for no other reason, the prospect of contagion. You really think all this stuff is apples to apples?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure, some people think I'm a little extreme by bringing a handgun to the bowling alley, but how else are we supposed to stop people from going over the line?  This is bowling.  There are rules.
This particular item seems like something that would be better solved by an electric fence and a shock collar than a gun.

(For the house, not for Stealthycat. Cross-posted from another board)

Regarding the mRNA vaccine ingredients, we actually do know exactly what they do both short- and long-term. And we don't have to wait years to find out.

Why? The biological dispensation of all the individual ingredients of the mRNA are already understood. There's no biological pathway for them to have long-term effects -- your cells either use the ingredients for fuel (e.g. lipids, sucrose) or they get excreted (acetic acid, sodium acetate).

For the sake of an example, let's go through the Moderna vaccine ingredients (from this article, my words italicized)  : 

mRNA – Also known as messenger ribonucleic acid, mRNA is the only active ingredient in the vaccine. The mRNA molecules contain the genetic material that provide instructions for our body on how to make a viral protein that triggers an immune response within our bodies ... It’s critical to note that the mRNA vaccines never enter the nucleus of the cell, where our DNA is stored. After injection, the mRNA from the vaccine is released into the cytoplasm of the cells. Once the viral protein is made and on the surface of the cell, mRNA is broken down and the body permanently gets rid of it.

Four different lipids – biomolecules that don't dissolve in water, such as fats and sterols (also beeswax). I didn't look these up individually, but if you've ever eaten cheese or cooked with vegetable oil or used bacon, eaten jelly beans, etc. ... you've ingested plenty of different types of lipids.

-SM-102
- 1,2-dimyristoyl-rac-glycero3-methoxypolyethylene glycol-2000 [PEG2000-DMG]
- cholesterol
 (this one is familiar)
- 1,2-distearoyl-snglycero-3-phosphocholine [DSPC]

The remaining ingredients (below), including acids, acid stabilizers, salt and sugar all work together to maintain the stability of the vaccine after it’s produced.

Acid
Acetic acid -
 when watered down, this is white vinegar

Acid Stabilizers
Tromethamine & Tromethamine hydrochloride -
 antacids, but pricey ones that wouldn't be practical to use in over-the-counter medications like Tums (calcium carbonate is practically free). Same function, though.

Salt
Sodium acetate -
 this is used as an artificial flavoring in, for example, potato chips. Tastes vinegary.

Sugar
Sucrose - 
regular ol' table sugar.
I've already done this post GB :lol:

It was met with crickets and people still thinking it's better to "take their chances" with vaccines that include things like ethanol.  This ship has sailed too.

Sure, some people think I'm a little extreme by bringing a handgun to the bowling alley, but how else are we supposed to stop people from going over the line?  This is bowling.  There are rules.
(Man, your sidearm must've never left your hand back in the self-scoring days ...

"Hey! A spare only takes one stroke, kemosabe.")

I’m not trying to force you to do a thing.  Just pointing out you’re a scared person while calling other people scared.  That’s all.  
People that don't take a shot with unknown side effects are scared but people rushing to get the same shot for fear of getting sick and then threatening those who don't get it are not scared?

Ok

People that don't take a shot with unknown side effects are scared but people rushing to get the same shot for fear of getting sick and then threatening those who don't get it are not scared?

Ok
 Nope never said that. The people getting the shot are scared too.  I’m not judging it. 

There is like 3 or 4 people ever reading this thread at one time.  Every single one of them regular posters.    :lmao:
There are people reading the thread that don't show up in the list below. Whether your name is listed below threads is a profile setting.

EDIT: Plus, random people find forum threads through Google keyword searches.

It has not. Coronaviruses as a class have been, yes -- but SARS-CoV-2019 has not.

exactly - just like influenze

I think it was engineered -had it NOT been ... we'd not be where we are. Its absolutely relevant - people seem to think vaccinate and it'll go away forever - that's not going to happen

Same as any other virus. This not sanction to just give up, though -- there is great social value in slowing mutation rates down to a biological crawl. Preferable to deal with a new PITA variant once a generation than once a month.
nobody is "giving up" but also there is no needs to absolutely freek the heck out

to a biological crawl - you mean like how we've beaten influenza (h1n1) ? yeah - doesn't work that way, they're viruses

Of course not, and it doesn't need to. Instead, the goal is to make COVID a low-level endemic illness like mononucleosis, meningitis, or cholera. That makes COVID's threat to public health much easier to manage.

I doubt that'll ever happen - new variants of the flu if mutated/engineered in a certain way would kill millions, many viruses could be alters though natural or man made ways that would kill millions - hundreds of millions is they were contagious/deadly

I can only imagine in 2030 if a virus was released that killed 10% of the population instead of 0.18 % ..... that's right, covid has been credited with not killing 99.82 % of the USA population if my math is right. if such a virus happened ..... imagine that ?

This is such a myopic perception.   And wrong.   But good job on fitting it into your world view.    Myopic.
Do you believe that generally speaking free markets provide the best outcomes?  And that this is true whether or not you are talking about products and services but also ideas and policy?   That individuals entering into voluntary negotiations to pursue the best possible arrangements for their own needs (i.e. maximize utility)  drives the overall market into a place of balance that maximizes results across the entire market?

This is a false premise....they can't force you to take a shot.  You can opt out and as a result find work elsewhere.  You refuse to take the shot you are scared of.  As a result you are looking for new work. Why would you attempt to sue someone for your decisions?
This is called coercion and it's illegal.

While we're all wringing our hands about the unvaccinated, vaccine passports, vaccine mandates, etc. it's probably worth reflecting on the fact that these vaccines were developed about a year and half ago and the FDA still hasn't gotten to authorizing them.  I'm vaccinated so I don't really care what happens with vaccine passports or any of the other stuff, but given how the lack of full FDA authorization impacts this sort of policy making, it seems like folks should be making a bigger deal out of it.

While we're at it, the lackadaisical attitude toward getting these approved for kids seems bad too.  
This is correct. Would like to see much more discussion about this by leadership.

This "clueless wonder" finished first in his class at Cornell University's Medical College.  Where you did you finish in your graduating class at medical school?  

I wonder if you were calling this guy a "clueless wonder" when President Bush awarded him the Medal of Freedom.  Doubt it.  
dude.  you're wasting your time and all that will happen is that he'll follow you around every thread and post smiley faces.  but don't use the word for that or you get a time out.

Texas has seen nearly 9,000 COVID-19 deaths since February. All but 43 were unvaccinated people.

"99.5% of people who died due to COVID-19 in Texas from Feb. 8 to July 14 were unvaccinated, while 0.5% were the result of “breakthrough infections,” which DSHS defines as people who contracted the virus two weeks after being fully vaccinated.

Dr. David Lakey, the chief medical officer of the University of Texas System, said people succumbing to the coronavirus despite being vaccinated was “not unexpected.”

“No vaccine is 100%,” said Lakey, who is also a member of the Texas Medical Association’s COVID-19 task force. “And we’ve known for a long while that the vaccines aren’t 100%, but they’re really really good at preventing severe disease and hospitalizations. … There will always be some individuals that will succumb to the illness in the absence of full herd immunity.”

He added that 0.5% is “a very low number of individuals in a state of 30 million. … In the grand perspective of everything, that’s not a large number that would call into question at all the use of this vaccine.”"

Anecdotal:

Some oil-platform labor contractors down here in Louisiana are getting serious about COVID vaccination among their employees. One company is requiring that all unvaccinated have to undergo a 5-day quarantine before every trip out to the rig. Five days in a hotel (link says employee pays for [docked?] the hotel room?) before getting on the helicopter.

That means for the 14-days-on/14-days-off guys, they lose five of their off days to the required quaranting. Vaccinated crewmen came come and go as normal.

No losing jobs. No threats. No deadline (yet). Just a major-league PITA for those who just won't do the vaccine.

This "clueless wonder" finished first in his class at Cornell University's Medical College.  Where you did you finish in your graduating class at medical school?  

I wonder if you were calling this guy a "clueless wonder" when President Bush awarded him the Medal of Freedom.  Doubt it.  
He peaked early.  He's had the same government desk surfing job since 1984.   :lmao:

Anecdotal:

Some oil-platform labor contractors down here in Louisiana are getting serious about COVID vaccination among their employees. One company is requiring that all unvaccinated have to undergo a 5-day quarantine before every trip out to the rig. Five days in a hotel (link says employee pays for [docked?] the hotel room?) before getting on the helicopter.

That means for the 14-days-on/14-days-off guys, they lose five of their off days to the required quaranting. Vaccinated crewmen came come and go as normal.

No losing jobs. No threats. No deadline (yet). Just a major-league PITA for those who just won't do the vaccine.
Interesting.  Thanks for sharing.  Be curious to see the response to this.

Show some respect the man.  He's earned it. 
Sorry, the government is our company's primary Client.  It's well known that the top talent is always in the private class, always.  Just look at the last two POTUS.  If he had anything of value he'd be be getting an 8 figure salary from Pfizer or similar.  But respect?  Just look at his record, guy has been wrong more than a carnival fortune teller. 

according to the courts, it's legal.
Dr. Amanda Cohn, the executive secretary of the CDC’s Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices, was asked if Covid-19 vaccination can be required, she responded that under an EUA, “vaccines are not allowed to be mandatory. So, early in this vaccination phase, individuals will have to be consented and they won’t be able to be mandatory.” Cohn later affirmed that this prohibition on requiring the vaccines applies to organizations, including hospitals.

Dr. Amanda Cohn, the executive secretary of the CDC’s Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices, was asked if Covid-19 vaccination can be required, she responded that under an EUA, “vaccines are not allowed to be mandatory. So, early in this vaccination phase, individuals will have to be consented and they won’t be able to be mandatory.” Cohn later affirmed that this prohibition on requiring the vaccines applies to organizations, including hospitals.
Dr. Amanda Cohn is not a court or a decison-maker, and she turned out to be wrong.

link

Get ready for government mandated mask wearing again- for everyone.  So dumb.  Let the people who refuse to get vaccinated get Covid. That’s the only way to get up herd immunity.
:goodposting:

This is the primary reason why making children wear masks is so dumb. Let them spread it. Let them develop anti-bodies naturally since they are at virtually zero risk.  

Sorry, the government is our company's primary Client.  It's well known that the top talent is always in the private class, always.  Just look at the last two POTUS.  If he had anything of value he'd be be getting an 8 figure salary from Pfizer or similar.  But respect?  Just look at his record, guy has been wrong more than a carnival fortune teller. 
Some people feel compelled to serve society and country.  Do you feel this way about our military leaders past and present?  Should Patton or Eisenhower chosen the dollar over duty?  Would you call them 'clueless wonders' for any blunders or would you have a touch more respect?  Fauci's net worth isn't a way to judge his career.  He's been lionized for decades by several different institutions (Stanford for one) and US administrations under presidents of both parties.  He's far from a "clueless wonder" and if said that of Trump, the report button would be mashed and I would be gone.  

Some people feel compelled to serve society and country.  Do you feel this way about our military leaders past and present?  Should Patton or Eisenhower chosen the dollar over duty?  Would you call them 'clueless wonders' for any blunders or would you have a touch more respect?  Fauci's net worth isn't a way to judge his career.  He's been lionized for decades by several different institutions (Stanford for one) and US administrations under presidents of both parties.  He's far from a "clueless wonder" and if said that of Trump, the report button would be mashed and I would be gone.  
The middle has completely washed away.  A person is either a hero/god or complete hack/idiot these days.  Completely faultless or completely to blame.  Everything has become black and white.  It’s a shame really because none of those things are true of anyone.  Fauci’s made plenty of mistakes throughout this process and arguably his hands are dirty (his funding of GoF research likely put us in this mess).  But he’s also unquestionably one of the most qualified people in the world to be dealing with this quagmire.  

Nope never said that. The people getting the shot are scared too.  I’m not judging it. 
This virus killed my father-in-law and nearly killed my father. You’re damn right I’m scared of it. The moment I got my first shot — ie, the moment I knew it wouldn’t be the thing that killed me — was probably the greatest feeling of relief I’ve ever experienced

This virus killed my father-in-law and nearly killed my father. You’re damn right I’m scared of it. The moment I got my first shot — ie, the moment I knew it wouldn’t be the thing that killed me — was probably the greatest feeling of relief I’ve ever experienced
For sure. Everyone should have a healthy fear of this.  I got vaxed as soon as I could.  

:lmao:   Dollar over duty. 

"The best scientists do not become administrators. The best scientists do not become coordinators of programs for other scientists in medical schools around the country. The best scientists stay in the labs, they don’t push paper." - Nussbaum

Let's discuss his record, I will start with these beauties:

Fauci said in January what "people need to realize" is that in "all the history" of respiratory-borne viruses, asymptomatic transmission has never been the driver of outbreaks.  Ummmm, measles Dr. F?

Fauci called China's lockdown "draconian" and impractical in the US, only to change his tune two weeks later.

Facui said in March, "there is no reason" to wear a mask.  By April he changed his tune following along with CDC and a chorus of other doctors.

That's a pretty clueless start to the pandemic.  Should we go on?

The middle has completely washed away.  A person is either a hero/god or complete hack/idiot these days.  Completely faultless or completely to blame.  Everything has become black and white.  It’s a shame really because none of those things are true of anyone.  Fauci’s made plenty of mistakes throughout this process and arguably his hands are dirty (his funding of GoF research likely put us in this mess).  But he’s also unquestionably one of the most qualified people in the world to be dealing with this quagmire.  
He’s not beyond criticism, that’s for sure.  I put together a list of all the mistakes he made during Covid (wish I could find it) and it was pretty damning.  Also, his denials (under oath) about funding GoF research at Wuhan is terrible.  He’s using slight twists of words to completely deceive the American public on that.  I can forgive mistakes but not lying. 

He’s not beyond criticism, that’s for sure.  I put together a list of all the mistakes he made during Covid (wish I could find it) and it was pretty damning.  Also, his denials (under oath) about funding GoF research at Wuhan is terrible.  He’s using slight twists of words to completely deceive the American public on that.  I can forgive mistakes but not lying. 
With Gain of Function not only is Fauci clueless, he's complicit.  

:goodposting:

This is the primary reason why making children wear masks is so dumb. Let them spread it. Let them develop anti-bodies naturally since they are at virtually zero risk.  
Agreed, the continued masking of children is ridiculous. At this point people have had the opportunity to get vaccinated, it’s time to move forward. It’s ridiculous. 

I don't think that's true. The middle just doesn't represent a profitable business model. For-profit media need to choose a target market then produce content that fits their wants. Pragmatic, collaborative, compromising, critical thinking, and reasonable don't generate revenue. We're here. We just occasionally make jokes about the lunacy that exists in both directions of us then head to the next tee.

For sure. Everyone should have a healthy fear of this.  I got vaxed as soon as I could.  
Lots of things have annoyed me this past year, but this faux machismo where fear of a deadly virus = weakness and refusal to acknowledge danger = strength has got to be near the top of the list. Trying to imagine if people applied that logic to other dangers: “If you’re scared of drunk drivers, stay home with your O’Douls and let the rest of us enjoy our freedom.”

:lmao:   Dollar over duty. 

"The best scientists do not become administrators. The best scientists do not become coordinators of programs for other scientists in medical schools around the country. The best scientists stay in the labs, they don’t push paper." - Nussbaum

Let's discuss his record, I will start with these beauties:

Fauci said in January what "people need to realize" is that in "all the history" of respiratory-borne viruses, asymptomatic transmission has never been the driver of outbreaks.  Ummmm, measles Dr. F?

Fauci called China's lockdown "draconian" and impractical in the US, only to change his tune two weeks later.

Facui said in March, "there is no reason" to wear a mask.  By April he changed his tune following along with CDC and a chorus of other doctors.

That's a pretty clueless start to the pandemic.  Should we go on?
You know what Tony, you're right.  I read into this further today and Fauci has blood on his hands.  I didn't know too much GoF Research until today, but this is his fault.  He caused this.  Full stop.  Why?  What was in it for him?  So sad, a guy a respected and admired is not only responsible for Covid, but lied about his involvement.  This sucks.  We need to stop keeping lifelong public servants on our payroll and refresh every few years.  This is demoralizing for me.  

Truth is out there....I wish our media wouldn't try so hard to repress it.  Again, sorry I said anything - you were right, I was wrong and I am sorry. 

Honestly cannot believe this isn't a bigger story.  Dr. Fauci is the new Dr. Death. 

Former Harvard professor Dr Haseltine suggested today that we should perhaps do what France is doing....you have the right to refuse to get vaccinated in which case you can't go to a restaurant, the movie theater or ride mass transit. He said you have the right to die of Covid, you don't the right to infect others.

Former Harvard professor Dr Haseltine suggested today that we should perhaps do what France is doing....you have the right to refuse to get vaccinated in which case you can't go to a restaurant, the movie theater or ride mass transit. He said you have the right to die of Covid, you don't the right to infect others.
If they're vaccinated they're not at significant risk.  Them getting infected isn't on me.

If they're vaccinated they're not at significant risk.  Them getting infected isn't on me.
I disagree, health officials are still suggesting that unvaccinated wear a mask for a reason. Given the option of being in a room of vaccinated people vs unvaccinated for health reasons I will choose being with the vaccinated all day.

I disagree, health officials are still suggesting that unvaccinated wear a mask for a reason.
Not sure what you disagree with.  It is not disputable that vaccinated people are not at significant risk of contracting the virus and, if they do, that their symptoms will most likely be mild. 

As far as health officials suggesting unvaccinated people wearing a mask, I say that's a very general statement and everyone has an agenda or reason for suggesting whatever they suggest.  Fauci had a "reason" when he lied to us and told us NOT to wear masks early on in this pandemic.  In Los Angeles, they are currently mandating that people wear masks whether they're vaccinated or not.  How is that following the science?  I remember when we were just shutting things down so we wouldn't overwhelm the health system.  Was supposed to be for a couple of weeks, which turned in to months and then significantly longer than a year and blew up our economy. 

But everything is a balancing act and risk/reward.  If we all wore masks all the time it would prevent a lot of disease, and not just Covid.  If we got rid of cars that would save lots of lives too.  The question is always where that balance lies.  At this point anyone who wants to can get vaccinated.  That seems like a reasonable point to say the rest of us can live our lives as we choose.  If someone chooses not to get vaccinated they're accepting the risk that goes along with that decision.

Not sure what you disagree with.  It is not disputable that vaccinated people are not at significant risk of contracting the virus and, if they do, that their symptoms will most likely be mild. 

As far as health officials suggesting unvaccinated people wearing a mask, I say that's a very general statement and everyone has an agenda or reason for suggesting whatever they suggest.  Fauci had a "reason" when he lied to us and told us NOT to wear masks early on in this pandemic.  In Los Angeles, they are currently mandating that people wear masks whether they're vaccinated or not.  How is that following the science?  I remember when we were just shutting things down so we wouldn't overwhelm the health system.  Was supposed to be for a couple of weeks, which turned in to months and then significantly longer than a year and blew up our economy. 

But everything is a balancing act and risk/reward.  If we all wore masks all the time it would prevent a lot of disease, and not just Covid.  If we got rid of cars that would save lots of lives too.  The question is always where that balance lies.  At this point anyone who wants to can get vaccinated.  That seems like a reasonable point to say the rest of us can live our lives as we choose.  If someone chooses not to get vaccinated they're accepting the risk that goes along with that decision.
Cannot argue with this.  After I read about Fauci and his evil ties to unleasing this virus upon us, we should just reject all science reported to us - usually by FAKE NEWS - and live our best lives.  

Bring back smoking in airplanes and restaurants too.  Cut out my seatbelts too.  Enough of this nanny state, run by socialists and Soros.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread