What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

May challenge complete! Join us in June and we'll keep it going. Lots of people succeeding with myfitnesspal and itrackbites. Join us! (1 Viewer)

I follow the middle plan (blue I think)?  The points total is provided by iTrackBites, but the last time I checked it was accurate for someone 231 lb, 6’3, 51 years old

My plan actually shows 34, but my daily tracker shows 35. Thanks for making me look, I will adjust it down. 
I wasnt calling you out. Just was curious. Sorry if it came off that way. 

I wasnt calling you out. Just was curious. Sorry if it came off that way. 
Not at all. You just made me realize I hadn’t really checked recently and was just trusting the app. Also, i was hoping if you did see an error you would correct it. Thanks for keeping me honest. 

Hoping to finish this month strong.  I'm on a 25 day winning streak on MFP -- this is easier than I thought it would be and definitely something I'll keep doing during the summer.

Per MFP:

1950 calories allowed.

1740 Calories consumed.  210 calories under goal before exercise.  

45 minutes exercise for 368 calories burned.  1254 exercise minutes for the month.

Took a long weekend and while I tracked calories I was over most days.  Too much :banned: .  Will do better this week.  

I did work my ### off Friday/Saturday/Sunday cleaning out the garage and attic.  Alas, those didn't count as exercise minutes.  We rented one of those dumpsters and cleaned out stuff from past remodels and just junk that had accumulated.  Felt good to get it done, but it took a toll on the body.  

I was at 807 mins exercise for May.

Thursday was 37, Friday 36, Saturday 28, Sunday 28, Monday none  :bag: .

936 mins exercise for the month.  (Should surpass 1k today, unless I get busy with work this afternoon.)
Well I'm still not doing as well with MFP tracking, but I'm still moving my ### just not as much as I was earlier this month.  Work and life are getting in the way.  

Was at or just over my calorie goals for Tuesday - Thursday.  

Tuesday 45 mins exercise.

Wednesday 39 mins exercise.

Thursday 27 mins exercise.

Today 47 mins exercise.

1,094 mins for the month of May.  

Per MFP:

1950 calories allowed.

1850 Calories consumed.  100 calories under goal before exercise.  

45 minutes exercise for 308 calories burned.  1299 exercise minutes for the month.

I ended up going 300 calories over my allowance yesterday.  It was a scheduled day off from running, but not a scheduled day off from booze.  Still under maintenance and down six pounds from the start of the month.

I don’t know if it’s more appropriate to post this here or in Otis’ fad diet thread, but towards the end of April my wife and I decided to implement a whole food plant-based diet. Since having kids we have let ourselves go a bit more than we would like and we needed to make some changes. I’ve tried diets in the past and have always craved everything that is terrible for me that I can’t have, but somehow with this diet I don’t have those cravings despite it perhaps being one of the most “restrictive” diets we have ever tried.

I love food, cooking and eating and even though I’ve always cooked what I felt was healthy food, I know I overeat. One of the biggest advantages of this diet is that I can literally eat as much as I want.  I don’t weigh myself (don’t even have a scale) but am shedding pounds. My love handles are completely gone and my pants are starting to get loose around the waist.  My energy levels are much higher and am noticing a lot more stamina in my workouts to the point where I find myself working out a lot more simply because I can  

It’s been pretty fun finding ways to mimic our favorite foods without adding oil or sugar and still make it tasty. 

Per MFP:

1950 calories allowed.

1828 Calories consumed.  122 calories under goal before exercise.  

30 minutes exercise for 206 calories burned.  1329 exercise minutes for the month.

Per MFP:

1950 calories allowed.

2005 Calories consumed.  55 calories over goal before exercise.  

45 minutes exercise for 307 calories burned.  1374 exercise minutes for the month.

Wasn't sure I was going to get exercise in today.  Was up and out early for a fishing trip.  Didn't get home until 8 pm.  Was tired but forced myself to do 45 to end strong.  Wasn't the best day for watching what I ate though.  LOL

Per MFP:

1950 calories allowed.

2005 Calories consumed.  55 calories over goal before exercise.  

45 minutes exercise for 307 calories burned.  1374 exercise minutes for the month.

Wasn't sure I was going to get exercise in today.  Was up and out early for a fishing trip.  Didn't get home until 8 pm.  Was tired but forced myself to do 45 to end strong.  Wasn't the best day for watching what I ate though.  LOL
Dude great job this month you are so in the groove that you're sweating 55 calories.  This month has been awesome. Now let's keep it up. 

Had a miserable last day. :bag:

didnt even keep track. Lets just say 18 of my 23 points went to twizzler pull and peels and that wasnt all I had. 

Just got to start again tomorrow. Thanks for getting me back on track bostonfred. 

Stayed under my calorie goals Saturday and Sunday.

Saturday exercise 91 mins

Sunday exercise 27 mins

Total Month of May 1,212 minutes.

I'm going to keep this up for June.  Also starting some 16/8 intermittent fasting this month.  I like breakfast, but my wife wants to try it and it won't be a big adjustment for me.  Will still keep counting my calories on MFP, just only have 8 hours to eat them.

I started out this year at 219. 220 is obese for me and didn't want to cross that line. I lost about 10 lbs before COVID shutdowns. I backslid a bit. I have been making a big effort to get out for more walks to replace some more of my typical day activity. I walked 35 miles last week. I am at 208 now. I want to lose at least another 25lbs. 

Love seeing all the success stories here and in the Otis thread. Great jobs and if people want to share their weight loss or write a few words about whether this worked for them, please do. There are people who might be on the fence and thinking this is difficult, or that tracking calories means starving yourself or weighing all your foods.  That's not been my experience - I've lost weight and kept it off by tracking.

That said, for the people who did the May challenge and are trying to lose a significant amount of weight, I have two things to think about today. 

First, you are off to a great start. Whether you lost 2 lbs or 15,you've probably learned a lot about your diet, and how many calories your favorite foods have. You probably find it's a lot faster to enter your meals in the app once you have your favorites in there, and you're probably getting good at planning your meals for the day. That's going to make it much easier to stick with this. 

Now the bad news. You haven't accomplished your goals. You are still at the beginning of your journey to getting healthy. Don't tell your friends and family that you lost 10 lbs if your goal is to lose 50. This is a long process, and if you get in the mindset that you have already succeeded, you will sabotage yourself.

You might think, hey, I did it, I can eat "normally` again.  That's bad for two reasons- first, you aren't done, and stopping can really kill your momentum. Second, your old "normal" eating was probably what got you fat in the first place. It was for me. Your goal is not to get back to that. It's to be able to eat like a healthier person, which includes occasionally indulging like you used to. The problem was that you used to do it too much. Part of this process is getting used to what you are able to eat and stay healthy.  

If you want to celebrate, or you find it difficult to stick with this when you think about how long it will take, then plan a cheat day.  Don't wing it. Plan ahead and have the foods you want. Don't half ### it and mindlessly eat a bunch of chips, unless that's really the thing you have been day dreaming about.

Just track your calories. 

It's important to track them on your cheat days at first. It's kind of a buzzkill, but there is so much you can learn. Which "bad" foods you actually, missed. How many calories are in those bad foods. How many calories over your goal you wanted to go. Maybe your goal is 1500 calories to lose two pounds a week, and you have a huge 3500 calorie cheat day. The next day you have 1500. That's 5000 calories in two days. 2500 is your maintenance calories. You didnt do any damage, no matter what your body or scale might be telling you. 

Maybe you cheated and made a steak dinner with a baked potato loaded with butter and sour cream and all the wine. 1500 calories for just that meal. 

Guess what? You can have 10 oz of marinated steak tips, a small baked potato, a pat of butter, and two cups of broccoli for about 750. And you can fit that in to your diet days pretty easily. You could even have a glass or two of wine if you go easy at breakfast and lunch.  So if you find that you are having a hard time sticking to your diet later, instead of having a cheat day, you can just... eat your favorite foods?  This doesn't have to be hard. 

I'm really excited for some of you guys that are making big changes. And for people who aren't yet but want to start, this is really a perfect time to start - good weather to get some exercise, no pressure to go out to eat at restaurants, cut back a little on your grocery shopping, and you can surprise some people who you haven't seen when you get back to the office or whatever you do. Let's fn go. 

I've been doing this the last few days- thanks Fred :thumbup:

I've learned what I already guessed at based on a lot of time spent hovering around the same weight...I typically eat right around my target calorie intake level, and generally healthy stuff.

Covid has changed some of this for the worse. Stuck at home, the wife tends to have less healthy snacks (chips) available that I've been driving into where I normally am just an almonds a fruit snacker. But covid has also allowed more exercise.

The exercise of inputting the foods has helped keep me honest, and with a little tweaking, I can hopefully use to drop a few pounds from a not fat weight to a more fighting healthy weight

shout out to @bostonfred

i'm in fairly decent shape.  i've had a loose goal of getting into the 170's, for a while.  before the rona, i was at 182ish.  i got furloughed and went off the rails.  the gym closed and the 10-15k steps at work, vanished. managed to pack on 6+ pounds, easily.  decided to track my food, and found out that some of my favorite snacks are calorie bombs.  cashews :cry:   i was easily eating 200+ calories, in cashews, a day.

so, with a combination of tracking and nearly daily walk/run/hikes, i'm back down to 182ish.  i'm going to continue tracking and see if the 170's are doable.  i know  they are, just gotta be willing to put in the work.  aka, not drink as much.  without booze, i am 300+ under, easy

thanks again BF

Just giving this thread a late bump to thank @bostonfred for recommending MFP.  I started using this back in early May thanks to this thread.  At the time, I was 10 pounds above where I really wanted to be and 15 pounds above "racing weight" which isn't that big a deal since I don't race much any more but that was still a good secondary target.  Tracking calories was a game-changer in terms of knowing approximately how much I was eating and just forcing me to be more mindful about what I consume.  

I finished off those 15 pounds back in July, and I actually ended up losing a few more unintentionally just by momentum more than anything else.  Currently down 20 from my squishy post-lockdown max.  I still track everything daily using MFP for a bunch of reasons.

1) I really don't want to fall back into my old habits of grazing on processed foods, loading up on ####ty fast food for lunch multiple times per week, drinking a ####load of calories more nights than not, etc.  I've worked some processed foods back into my diet, and I don't feel bad about hitting Panda and CFA from time to time, but it's so much easier to keep this sort of thing in moderation if I force myself to record those empty calories.  (I'm also drinking far less than I used to, but that's because I also made an informed decision to start using cannabis.  Bostonfred is a great guy, but he gets no credit for that lifestyle change.  Sorry GB).  

2) The last couple of pounds I lost were a little too much.  My pants went from not fitting right because I really needed a larger waist size, to now not fitting right because I can pull them right off if I don't wear a belt.  For the past couple of months, my calorie-tracking has been almost as much about making sure I get up to my allowance as about staying under.  One of my favorite weekend lunches now is a cinnamon raisin bagel with peanut butter.  Tasty, healthy, satiating, and relatively calorie-rich compared to the turkey sandwiches I had grown accustomed to.  MFP makes it fairly easy to make intelligent food decisions.

3) I like seeing how my calorie consumption varies from day to day and how most weeks fall into a predictable pattern.  I usually do my long runs on Saturday, and nearly every Saturday ends up being some ludicrously low-net-calorie day as a result.  Yesterday was a nice example: 10 mile run, about 2 miles of walking back to my house (listening to an audiobook, intentionally chose a course that left some walking at the end to enjoy a crisp fall day), and cut the grass for the last time this year.  End result was a < 600 net calorie day.  I don't think I've gone over 1000 net calories on a Saturday in months.  By way of contrast, a typical weekday is something like 200 calories or so "over" my allowance.  I think it's interesting and counterintuitive than I'm pretty much always under-budget on Saturday and Sunday when I'm just sitting around the house but usually at or a little over on weekdays when I'm locked in the office away from my pantry.  I'm fairly sure that my weekends were way worse when I was drinking more though.

4) As BF has often noted, tracking calories is so easy that there's really no reason not to do it.  Suppers can be tricky because there's usually no entry that corresponds exactly to what my wife made, but it is easy to approximate it.  This thing doesn't need to be an exact science and there's no reason to fret over 100-200 calories here and there.  Good faith guesstimates are great for staying on target and keeping yourself honest.

Long story short, thanks @bostonfred!  I still hate the Patriots though.

Love it, and love the bump. This covid thing has gone on longer than most people probably expected, and a lot of us have been struggling with the extra stress but this is also an opportunity to improve yourself at a time where you can't do all the things you wanted to do as easily as you used to do them.

If you’re not happy with where you are, it's not too late to work to get where you want to be. If that means controlling your weight, maybe tracking your calories could help. It has for me and for a lot of people in this thread.

If you are interested in following me on some other middle aged fat guy goals, check out the otis fad diet thread.  We've done 30 days of yoga, several of us are working towards doing 100 consecutive pushups, and then I'll be working on rowing and finally doing unassisted pull ups. 

Users who are viewing this thread