What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Let's lose some weight in 2021. Back to the grind... who else is in? (5 Viewers)

Optavia 5&1 plan....5 "fuelings" (bars, shakes, snacks, desserts, savory items) a day and 1 lean & green meal (lean proteins, green, lower carb veggies), healthy fats.  Easiest plan I've ever followed to lose weight.  I never imagined I would lose 150+ lbs.  You have a coach, super supportive online community, materials that help educate you and help you work on your mindset (which was the real difference maker for me).  Was a game-changer for me.  My 16 year old daughter actually just hit 50 lbs gone this past Wednesday and my wife is a few lbs away from 50 gone over the last 5 months.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gaoQefSurrbi8JHB6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/YKXm5e2FErQJB5Ki9
Holy cats!! I wouldn’t believe that is the same person!! Congratulations! Great work. 

Kids brought home whatever the latest bug is, probably hantavirus. Currently waiting on last rites and making amends with those I have wronged. Have to prepare to meet the relations that have passed before me.

(My wife would say I have a cold and am the absolute worst when I'm sick, but whatever. Either way, I'm taking the week off)

Optavia 5&1 plan....5 "fuelings" (bars, shakes, snacks, desserts, savory items) a day and 1 lean & green meal (lean proteins, green, lower carb veggies), healthy fats.  Easiest plan I've ever followed to lose weight.  I never imagined I would lose 150+ lbs.  You have a coach, super supportive online community, materials that help educate you and help you work on your mindset (which was the real difference maker for me).  Was a game-changer for me.  My 16 year old daughter actually just hit 50 lbs gone this past Wednesday and my wife is a few lbs away from 50 gone over the last 5 months.

Wow, congrats!

Not sure where to start but a few years ago I moved back home to take care of an elderly parent who had lost a leg after a bad infection.  I do full body lifts so my core was/is strong and also began a walking regime where I push a wheelchair.  It began with fairly short walks but progressed into 15 mile round-trip walks to a beach in the next town supplemented by 'shorter' walks around town of 5 to 10 miles.  

I wasn't eating right so all of the weight I would lose during fair weather portions of the year I would regain up until this summer when I stumbled upon a series of videos and I decided to try the simple things that Dr. Sten Ekberg suggested. 

I cut out all sugary drinks.  I cut out bagels and stopped eating breakfast and kept up with long walks and began dropping weight.  I bumped up against a plateau that had been a huge barrier for years so I cut out bread and stopped eating lunch and would only snack on nuts and broke through that barrier.  

I found it far easier to take those long walks so I increased the walks by at least one-more per week and am at a weight I was in my thirties.  

The information from Dr. Ekberg is quite interesting and I've seen some of the topics he discusses in this thread.  I would like to drop another ten lbs before cold weather returns since I can't take those long walks with an elderly parent when it gets too chilly.  

I haven't caught all or even half of his videos and my situation is very unique and most people cannot do four hour and twenty minute walks three to four times per week and most don't lift a combined 1,600 lbs each day so they 'probably' won't get the same results I have but its only been two months and I can't believe how well the things he discusses work.

Amazing 

Dammit I fell off the wagon big time over the summer. I did well until the Euros hit and by Mid July I wasn't using my APP at all. Figured with all the steps I was taking I was burning enough calories but went back to snacking on Junk at work because I skip breakfast and go for sleep over breakfast. I can't start this weekend on going back because I'm on Vacation so the minute I'm back I need to start. I gained the 10LBs I had previous lost back. But I guess given the amount of time it took to lose it compared to gain it back I should consider myself lucky. 

I will say I haven't gone overboard on bad stuff though. Just over eating and snacking on too many unhealthy things.  :doh: :wall:

That is outstanding. congrats, so well done.

I tried Optavia earlier this year, and it was working briefly, but I didn't stick with it.  Glad you found success there.

Are you doing Keto again?
Not a straight keto - way more veggies. Two staples are eggs and salads. Using cauliflower anywhere that pasta or rice would normally be.  Still struggling with work trips - trying to just do Chipotle salad bowls and Panera coffee for my meals.  

I think I also need to start logging food/exercise again.  I can’t eat unlimited meat at 45.  I want to add some light running and interval training so I can get in better soccer shape. 

So, I'm going to put this in a quote box, so I don't take up an entire page.  I don't want this to come off as a sob story, pity-me bull####.  I'm not necessarily looking for tips.  I know what I need to do.  I'm not looking for sympathy.  I've been a total dickbag to myself for most of my life.  I'm not even necessarily looking for accountability.  I don't feel like anybody else should be responsible for my well-being.  This #### is up to me.  I'm going to try to update here somewhat regularly.   Honestly, I just feel better writing all this crap down. 

Hopefully every time I post an update here, I'll be less fat.  That's my goal.   :hifive:
Starting weight: 395lbs

Current Weight: 381.2lbs

This has all been accomplished by diet. Being very strict during the work week, and only having one meal in the weekend that I don’t track. Even for that cheat meal, I’m finding myself making better choices  

Leaving the house to go buy a new pair of gym shoes. Heading to the gym for some cardio. 

Anybody still around in here?

I’m back at it……gave back half of my improvement over the past 2.5 months.  Started a new job, not exercising enough, eating too much.  Basic math.

Back to the MyFitnessPal app.

Anybody still around in here?

I’m back at it……gave back half of my improvement over the past 2.5 months.  Started a new job, not exercising enough, eating too much.  Basic math.

Back to the MyFitnessPal app.
Got down to 201. Now sitting at 215 so yes back at it :(

December is always challenging for me.  I always put on 5 pounds but I am committed to avoid that this year.   It’s been a good year and it would be dumb to blow it now.   I have been around 195 most of the year and want to start 2022 there. 

2 days in.  Ended both days with ~250 net calories to spare.   Last year, I found that if I stick within the 1700 calorie range on average over the long haul, I lose about 1.5 pounds per week.   My goal is to lose that amount for the first 4 weeks, and then closer to 1 lb per week the following 4 weeks.  I don’t have a ton to lose — but at my height, 10-12 lbs makes a lot of difference in how I look and feel.

Can tell already that the tough part for me will be staying active enough, staying disciplined on eating when I take work trips in a couple weeks.  That’s my biggest challenge:  eat healthy while traveling and manage to get exercise on the road too.

Bumping this....

I was doing very well at one point. Lost all the covid weight I gained and then some.

Well hurt my back stopped coaching and packed on almost 20 pounds real quick.

As of today I want to lose 40 total to get to 175

Started my 48 hour fast to jump start.

Having people over Friday so will try to eat better.

Won't have an actual start weight until 1/3 since I'm traveling starting Saturday. I was 219 this morning 🐖

Good on ya man. My brother and his wife lost about 100 lbs apiece on this program and are now coaches. 

Kids brought home whatever the latest bug is, probably hantavirus. Currently waiting on last rites and making amends with those I have wronged. Have to prepare to meet the relations that have passed before me.

(My wife would say I have a cold and am the absolute worst when I'm sick, but whatever. Either way, I'm taking the week off)
So, the week turned into a six month break.

Had gone from 276-->210.9. Porked back up to 246.6. Got back after it in March and am down to 227.7 as of this morning. Want to get under my previous low by the start of summer.

So, the week turned into a six month break.

Had gone from 276-->210.9. Porked back up to 246.6. Got back after it in March and am down to 227.7 as of this morning. Want to get under my previous low by the start of summer.
Good progress!  Maintaining is the toughest thing.  I dropped as low as 183 (from 226) but really didn't think that was sustainable.  I targeted 190 to 195 and kept it in those guard rails through Christmas. I tend to get seasonal affected disorder in the winter months, and I just didn't care what my weight was.  Went past the 200 mark I didn't want to hit and got up to 209, but now working my way back down.  I'm going to the beach on vacation the first week in May, so I'm planning on going full bore again once that is over (I want to enjoy the vacay).

Good progress!  Maintaining is the toughest thing.  I dropped as low as 183 (from 226) but really didn't think that was sustainable.  I targeted 190 to 195 and kept it in those guard rails through Christmas. I tend to get seasonal affected disorder in the winter months, and I just didn't care what my weight was.  Went past the 200 mark I didn't want to hit and got up to 209, but now working my way back down.  I'm going to the beach on vacation the first week in May, so I'm planning on going full bore again once that is over (I want to enjoy the vacay).
Had my first sub-200 today. Has to have been 12 years since the scale started with a 1 hook (199.2). Hoping to get to 180 and maintain.

Had my first sub-200 today. Has to have been 12 years since the scale started with a 1 hook (199.2). Hoping to get to 180 and maintain.
That is an awesome feeling!  Congrats and keep it going! I never thought I'd drop into the 180s, but it wasn't that hard with this group of people cheering you on and helping with accountability.

Resuscitating this thread. I've previously posted here about how a combo of Noom, the pandemic and a bunch of small behavioral changes helped me lose 35 lbs between 2019-22. Unfortunately, over the past year I've gained about 20 lbs of it back, and the increases don't show any signs of stopping. It's frustrating because I don't feel like I'm doing anything differently; it's just like my old tricks aren't working anymore. I definitely think it's a function of how your metabolism adjusts to the new reality and you have to keep changing things up.

I'm considering a few different options, maybe in combination, to provide that shakeup:
  • Meet with a nutritionist and see if they can recommend some dietary changes
  • Switch up my workout routine, which currently consists of daily runs of around 3-4 miles (longer on weekends). I probably should do some resistance training, but I've always hated going to the gym. Also thinking that doing some core strength training would help as I age (turning 50 in August)
  • Intermittent fasting. I need to do some research here. I know some people who have gotten really good results from it, but it still feels weird to me. Also not sure it's sustainable long term
  • Second Nature. Sounds like a British version of Noom, but maybe a little more keto-focused. Like I said, the idea would be to try something new and see if that gives me additional ideas
  • Lumen. Really can't decide what I think of this. It's like a mini-Breathalyzer type device that you blow into and it can tell you based on your CO2 levels whether your body is burning carbs or fat; the idea is you can use that to adjust your diet. The idea of using data to drive internally motivated changes definitely appeals to me, but I also worry that this may just be the 21st-century equivalent of Dr. MacGillicuddy's Olde Time Snake Oil (or diet pills in the '60s, or the Shake Weight, etc).
Anyone else ever faced this dliemma? Anyone have any opinions on Second Nature, intermittent fasting, Lumen or any other weight-loss tech solutions?

• Switch up my workout routine, which currently consists of daily runs of around 3-4 miles (longer on weekends). I probably should do some resistance training, but I've always hated going to the gym. Also thinking that doing some core strength training would help as I age (turning 50 in August)
When you are doing these runs what is your effort in doing so? For the daily runs are you running them at a quick pace/hard effort? Or something slower?

Running slower keeps your heart rate low, which in turn will burn fat before anything else. Eventually your body adjusts and you can start to increase your pace. But that's something you could try now.

When you are doing these runs what is your effort in doing so? For the daily runs are you running them at a quick pace/hard effort? Or something slower?

Running slower keeps your heart rate low, which in turn will burn fat before anything else. Eventually your body adjusts and you can start to increase your pace. But that's something you could try now.
Yeah, it's all pretty slow. I used to occasionally mix in some interval training but it's been awhile since I did that

Users who are viewing this thread