What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023-2024 NBA Salary Cap Draft - SECOND Annual Battle for the Wikkid Cup - Preseason Rankings are In! (1 Viewer)

Yo Mama

Footballguy
Time for our second year of the NBA Salary Cap league. Anyone is welcome to join, not just people from last year.

Instead of simply picking players straight up like a fantasy draft, this one will have an extra layer of complexity. We’ll be using the players’ actual NBA salaries and operating under a salary cap to fill out our rosters.

Teams will draft 15 players. You are not allowed to leave any roster spots open - all 15 spots must be filled and drafters must leave enough salary to fill out the roster with at least minimum salary players.

I am planning on using a $175,000,000 salary cap ($11.7!million average per player). This represents a 10% increase from our cap last year to match the increase in the NBA cap plus an extra $10M to give us a little more wiggle room with more teams this year.

We are treating this as a one year league, not a dynasty or keeper league. Teams will be judged solely on their performance in the 2023-2024 season, not based on any future projected years. All salaries are considered fully guaranteed and are considered expiring contracts. It doesn’t matter how much players are under contract for in future years.

I will be building out a google sheet using a list of all player salaries that we will draft from. I will be using the salary information on HoopsHype. I’ll include last years rosters in that workbook for reference since it looks like last years workbook got messed up.

Players salaries are based on how they impact NBA salary caps this year. Players that were bought out from their original contracts will have a salary they are fully owed for the year, not just what their new team is paying them. Also, since my understanding is that two-way players don’t count against the cap, they will not be draftable unless that player is given a regular contract.

Players who sign new deals after the draft has started can be picked at any time. We’ll just have to add them to the master list.

The draft will be serpentine with a third round reversal. You can trade draft slots once we create a draft order, but this needs to happen prior to making your first pick and no trading draft picks separately during the draft. Picks will be made here in the thread, but I’ll ask for people to input their picks in the worksheet too.

We’ll do the following to rank / evaluate teams after the draft. 1) a preseason ranking where everyone will rank the teams and I’ll consolidate results. 2) I’ll set up a free fantasy league with our rosters and do a basic 8-category roto format (full rosters, so no maintaining starting lineups or add-drops). 3) we’ll do a postseason ranking like the preseason one (I promise).

I’ll get the worksheet set up next week since there’s still a bunch of transactions going on at the end of preaseason for final roster cuts. Once all the teams are finalized and we’re all set we’ll start drafting with no clock for the first round.

Join in - It’s Fantastic!!!!

Last edited:
DRAFT SHEET

Guidelines for inputting picks into the workbook:
- DO NOT SORT THE DRAFT LIST TAB!!!
- Copy the player, team, and salary info for the player you are taking from the Master Salary List into the Draft List
- Put your user name next to the player you are taking on the Master Salary List tab
- The Team List tab updates automatically
- Last years teams and draft order are included in the last tab
- The Team List tab calculates the maximum salary for one player you can draft (assuming you need $1.8M for each remaining roster spot)
- DO NOT SORT THE DRAFT LIST TAB!!!

Announce your picks here in this thread but try to keep the draft workbook updated as we go.

I’m lame, so let me know if you can’t get into the workbook.

Last edited:
Will the draft be here? When will it start?
Yes we’ll draft in this thread and keep track on a google workbook. We’ll start either end of next week or the last week of October so we can get as many of the final contracts in place as possible.

I'm in.

Last year some folks laughed at me for choosing to build a championship team around Nikola Jokic. Gotta do it again, this time around Dame, Ja, or some other future title winner. 😁

I'm in.

Last year some folks laughed at me for choosing to build a championship team around Nikola Jokic. Gotta do it again, this time around Dame, Ja, or some other future title winner. 😁
At least you didn't misunderstand the structure and take James Harden over Curry & LeBron.

Ok, we’ve got 18 teams so far (13 returning and 5 newbies). I think I’ll cap it 20 teams unless I change my mind in a drunken stupor this weekend.

It looks like Monday is the deadline for roster cut downs, so I’ll pull the salaries Tuesday (or whenever it looks like HoopsHype has most of it updated). I’ll get the spreadsheet out after that.

We’ll set the draft order early next week and aim to start drafting either end of next week or beginning of the following (with no clock).

Question for the masses - since we have more teams this year, should I make the salary cap higher to make things easier, or keep it at the 10% increase over last year? Do I stick with $165M or bump it up to $175M?

Question for the masses - since we have more teams this year, should I make the salary cap higher to make things easier, or keep it at the 10% increase over last year? Do I stick with $165M or bump it up to $175M?
Increase the cap. 3rd round reversal?

I'd like to see it bumped up.

Ok, here’s the plan.

We are at 18 teams right now. I’ll leave it open until tomorrow mornin for more teams but will cap it at 20.

Tomorrow we can get the draft order set and I’ll work on the draft file / player salary list. I’ll try to have it out there Wednesday for everyone to start prepping and we can start drafting end of week.

Based on popular demand (2 people), we’ll set our cap limit at $175M.

Users who are viewing this thread