What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NBA 2023-2024 In-Season Tournament Challenge - Yo Mama Said Knock You Out! (1 Viewer)

Yo Mama

Footballguy
Call me crazy, but I’m excited for the new NBA In-Season Tourney.

Let’s all embrace the craziness and pick the winners and losers for the 2023 group play games and knockout tournament.

We will have two stages and two winners for bragging rights:

Group Play
  • Pick how many games each team will win in the group stages (played Tuesdays and Fridays in November)
  • We will be ranking entrants on a “closest to the pin” basis depending on how far away picks are from their actual results. For example, let’s say I predict Phoenix will win 3 of their 4 group play games. If they win 3 games I get 0 points, if they win 4 or 2 games I get 1 point, if they win 1 game I get 2 points, and if they win 0 games I get 3 points. I’ll add up all the points for each entry for all 30 teams and whoever has the lowest amount of points wins.

Knockout Tournament
  • Pick who you think will make the quarterfinals, semifinals, finals, and who will be the champion (see NBA rules in the next post for who makes the knockout tourney)
  • You get 1 point for a correct quarterfinal prediction (doesn’t matter if they are group winner versus wildcard for scoring), 2 points for a correct semifinal prediction, 4 points for a correct finalist prediction, and 8 points for picking the correct champion – most points wins

I set up a google worksheet for everyone to input their picks and to track the progress. Please don’t change anyone else’s picks. I will lock down the form on Thursday 11/2 at 8pm Pacific for no additional edits (and I will save an offline version to make sure there are no shenanigans after games start). Games start Friday 11/3. Included in the google workbook will be the NBA rules, group play groupings, and group play matchups.

GOOGLE SHEET

If you can’t get into the google sheet to input your picks, just IM your picks to me (number of group stage wins for each team from 0-4 as well as quarterfinal through champion predictions).

Let’s get crazy!

Last edited:
In-Season Tournament Rules / Format

Group Stage

- Group stage games played on every Tuesday and Friday in November (no games 11/7 for election day)
- Each team will play 2 home and 2 away games in group stage play
- Group stage games also count toward regular season record
- Groups based on draw from buckets of teams based on prior year regular season record

West Group A
Memphis Grizzlies
Phoenix Suns
L.A. Lakers
Utah Jazz
Portland Trail Blazers

West Group B
Denver Nuggets
LA Clippers
New Orleans Pelicans
Dallas Mavericks
Houston Rockets

West Group C
Sacramento Kings
Golden State Warriors
Minnesota Timberwolves
Oklahoma City Thunder
San Antonio Spurs

East Group A
Philadelphia 76ers
Cleveland Cavaliers
Atlanta Hawks
Indiana Pacers
Detroit Pistons

East Group B
Milwaukee Bucks
New York Knicks
Miami Heat
Washington Wizards
Charlotte Hornets

East Group C
Boston Celtics
Brooklyn Nets
Toronto Raptors
Chicago Bulls
Orlando Magic

Knockout Tournament
- Winner of each group makes knockout rounds
- One wildcard from each conference also makes knockout rounds (based on tiebreakers below)
- Top two group winners from each conference host quarterfinals (based on tiebreakers below)
- Top group winner from each conference plays wildcard team (based on tiebreakers below)
- Quarterfinals are 12/4 and 12/5 hosted by teams noted above
- Semifinals on 12/7 and Championship on 12/9 will be played in Las Vegas

Tiebreakers (in order)
• Head-to-head record in the Group Stage
• Point differential in the Group Stage
• Total points scored in the Group Stage
• Regular season record from the 2022-23 NBA regular season
• Random drawing (in the unlikely scenario that two or more teams are still tied following the previous tiebreakers)

I know way more about this new weird tournament than I expected to if anyone has any questions on how it works. I think this year will be a learning experience for everyone (NBA included).

Didn't read the rules and probably wouldn't understand them if I did but - IN - if it doesn't cost real money

Didn't read the rules and probably wouldn't understand them if I did but - IN - if it doesn't cost real money
Yep, no money. Just predict the group stage wins and then pick the knockout participants / winners. The tourney rules are included in the google file. Or just copy someone else’s picks.

My bump
My bump

In-season tourney bump!

Don forget to get your picks and predictions in by this Thursday 11/2. Games start Friday.

To get everyone more excited about this awesome tournament, NBA teams will have special court designs for the in-season tourney games.

I was hoping for trampolines or water obstacles, but it sounds like it’s just fancy color schemes.

If I post enough times, I’m sure I’ll drive more interest in this thing, right?

I’m telling you, games are going to start on Friday and you all are going be SO MAD you didn’t join in on the fun.

To get everyone more excited about this awesome tournament, NBA teams will have special court designs for the in-season tourney games.

I was hoping for trampolines or water obstacles, but it sounds like it’s just fancy color schemes.

They should let fans have spotlights to shine in players' eyes and air horns and like high powered fans to turn on and off to effect shots.

They should let fans have spotlights to shine in players' eyes and air horns and like high powered fans to turn on and off to effect shots.
We're on the right track here. I was thinking something like the BattleBots arena.

We're on the right track here. I was thinking something like the BattleBots arena.
This is where the NBA should test all their rules ideas - 4-point shot, Elam ending, no timeouts, call your own fouls, different court dimensions like MLB ballparks, goaltending allowed, 15-second shot clock, etc.

This is where the NBA should test all their rules ideas - 4-point shot, Elam ending, no timeouts, call your own fouls, different court dimensions like MLB ballparks, goaltending allowed, 15-second shot clock, etc.

Doing all of this at once would be difficult to keep up with. They should adopt one or two changes for the in-season tournament and try it for 3 years (to get a decent sample size) and see what sticks, then move on to something else.

I hate the idea of call your own fouls and goaltending.

In-Season Tournament winner odds

Bos 7/1
Den 17/2
Mil 9/1
GS 12/1
Phx, LAL, LAC, Phi 14/1
Cle, Atl, Min 20/1
Sac, Dal, NY 25/1
Mia, OKC, NO 30/1
Ind, Orl, SA 40/1
Mem, Chi, Bkn, Tor 50/1
Uta, Hou 60/1
Cha 80/1
Por, Wsh, Det 100/1

I’m going to lock the google sheet for editing later, but keep it viewable. I’ll update the windows on the group play totals tab each game night.

Users who are viewing this thread