What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG Gardening Thread - 2024 Finally time to start seeds indoors in the northeast! (3 Viewers)

4 bright red jalapenos with several others still ripening.  For jalapenos, do they get spicier the longer I leave them on the vine?  I picked the first red one I got, and it had no spice at all.
I think it really depends on the variety and jalapenos have been tamed down over the years.  You might have to specifically plant a "hot" variety if you want more spice. 

Google says they got hotter when they get riper.  Also saw an article that says they get hotter when they are stressed as in lack of water.  :shrug:      

I think it really depends on the variety and jalapenos have been tamed down over the years.  You might have to specifically plant a "hot" variety if you want more spice. 

Google says they got hotter when they get riper.  Also saw an article that says they get hotter when they are stressed as in lack of water.  :shrug:      
Thanks WDIK2.  

4 bright red jalapenos with several others still ripening.  For jalapenos, do they get spicier the longer I leave them on the vine?  I picked the first red one I got, and it had no spice at all.
I pick peppers when they look ripe enough for my liking.  Jalapenos if they start getting little lines on them I pick them.  I also pick them when I need them.  Red ones are probably overripe, but they will still taste fine.  Peppers are very forgiving and hard to mess up.  

Getting the garden ready this weekend and starting my plants indoors.

Doubled the size from last year.  Space is 8’ x 16’ - should be a good size 

Right now planning on tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, peppers and strawberries.  Has anybody done strawberries before?  Any tips?

Will also have a herb box.
It's been a million years since I grew strawberries, but it my feeble memory seems to recall that you want sandy soil that drains well - they will rot pretty quickly in wet soils. 

It's hard to tell from your pictures, but it looks like you may have a darker, richer soil there (which is great for your tomatoes & peppers). You might want to section off an area, dig out that in situ dirt, and get you some sandy, loamy stuff to replace it with.

I'm sure you know this already, but your cukes and squash are gonna spread like crazy - they take up a LOT of room.

It's been a million years since I grew strawberries, but it my feeble memory seems to recall that you want sandy soil that drains well - they will rot pretty quickly in wet soils. 

It's hard to tell from your pictures, but it looks like you may have a darker, richer soil there (which is great for your tomatoes & peppers). You might want to section off an area, dig out that in situ dirt, and get you some sandy, loamy stuff to replace it with.

I'm sure you know this already, but your cukes and squash are gonna spread like crazy - they take up a LOT of room.
Yeah - I wanted to go even bigger but I’ve got to get that pine tree down.  We may do an entire backyard renovation over the next two years so debating how much I want to invest short term.

Thanks for the strawberries tip - I got some sour if the moment for my daughter who loves them. I may need to read more about growing them.  On the soil - it’s interesting because last year was our first year with a garden in this space (only been in house 2 years) and it did great and I’m super pleased with how good the soil already is this year.  

Yeah - I wanted to go even bigger but I’ve got to get that pine tree down.  We may do an entire backyard renovation over the next two years so debating how much I want to invest short term.

Thanks for the strawberries tip - I got some sour if the moment for my daughter who loves them. I may need to read more about growing them.  On the soil - it’s interesting because last year was our first year with a garden in this space (only been in house 2 years) and it did great and I’m super pleased with how good the soil already is this year.  
Glad to see your pooch helping :lol:

As to the soil, how did it drain last year? It's on a slope, so that helps. How many hours of direct sunlight does it get during growing season?

Glad to see your pooch helping :lol:

As to the soil, how did it drain last year? It's on a slope, so that helps. How many hours of direct sunlight does it get during growing season?
Drained well - we did our best to keep a slight slope towards the back of the yard and the middle.  Gets a nice amount of sunlight or I think it does - I’m not well versed.  It gets sun for 6-8 hours on the average day.

Drained well - we did our best to keep a slight slope towards the back of the yard and the middle.  Gets a nice amount of sunlight or I think it does - I’m not well versed.  It gets sun for 6-8 hours on the average day.
If there's one portion that gets more sun than any other, put your tomatoes there. They love sunlight and heat once you get them going.

You're in Georgia, right?

If there's one portion that gets more sun than any other, put your tomatoes there. They love sunlight and heat once you get them going.

You're in Georgia, right?
Yep, Georgia.  The whole area gets the same amount of sun it is almost perpendicular to the rise and setting of the sun.  Last year the tomatoes did ok but I didn’t tend them enough and I had way too many cherry tomatoes.  Our peppers did great too.  Also, the surprise and star for me last year was my collard greens.  For some reason we didn’t even try cucumbers when my wife and I are big fans.  Hoping those do well.

Moved into a new house this years so my custom garden boxes I built are no more.  Have a nice large spot where I’ll be able to build a large garden, even considering building a green house, but it won’t happen this season.  So on to big individual plastic planter barrels for this season.  I’ve never really used these before so any tips or tricks?  Probably just gonna keep it simple and do a couple tomatoes and a couple cukes.  TIA.  

Tilled my garden for the first time over the weekend. It was in the 70s. Felt like Spring was almost here. 

Now it is 18 degrees.  :rant:

Yeah, it was a beautiful weekend in Atlanta areas - just gorgeous weather so I spent most of the weekend doing outdoor work including the garden.  I had to remind myself we'll still have some cold spells before spring is truly here.

Yeah, it was a beautiful weekend in Atlanta areas - just gorgeous weather so I spent most of the weekend doing outdoor work including the garden.  I had to remind myself we'll still have some cold spells before spring is truly here.
I knew this cold snap was coming. Snow and stuff even. But wanted to get started on outdoor stuff over the nice weekend. I can usually plant my garden in late March, so wanted to get the tilling started. Will turn it over a few more times before planting. 

Any of you warm weather peeps have everything planted yet? :jealous:

Im a few weeks away from starting my pepper and tomato seeds inside 

I moved into a new house and don’t yet have my new garden built (I’m going big with this one) so will just be doing pot gardening this year(no not that kind of pot😀). 2 weeks a ago I planted 2 tomatoes (a cherry and a classic variety called Champion) and few cukes.  Will add some green leaf lettuce in a few weeks.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm just potting this year: a couple of cherry tomato plants, one or two peppers, and maybe a cuke or two.

I bought one of those Aero Star indoor herb growers and it's great for growing leaf lettuce. Also for stuff like chives.

We've got indoor seeds planted for tomato, zucchini, cucumber and some mixed lettuces.  Also got an inch or so of snow overnight and this morning.

Usually don't get plants in the ground here (N Indiana) until around Mother's Day.  Although I'll try to get some radish seeds out next weekend; they don't have to wait.

Cowboysfan8 said:

Got my first few tomatoes in, more tomatoes and peppers this weekend. Also have onion sets in and some red russian kale. Have another plot at a community garden that I need to get beans and some other things planted but just haven't gotten around to it.

I've got a rogue squirrel digging up my bed. So far he's immune to red pepper flakes scattered all around the bed, cayenne pepper, urine, and a whole container of Critter Ridder from Home Depot. Nothing seems to deter him from digging up the exact same spot every few days. And then others randomly around the area.

Any suggestions on what to try next?

I've got a rogue squirrel digging up my bed. So far he's immune to red pepper flakes scattered all around the bed, cayenne pepper, urine, and a whole container of Critter Ridder from Home Depot. Nothing seems to deter him from digging up the exact same spot every few days. And then others randomly around the area.

Bury a stash of acorns where he's been digging? 

First spring in our new climate (Boise) and we're excited for all the planting things.  Prepped & shaped the flower garden beds in October, starting to put in some conifers and early-season plants (english laurel, ground cover, peony) this weekend.

Building two garden boxes w/ a trellis next month to get the veggies going!

Need to get some mulch delivered as well. Probably figure out squirrel defense too!

Nothing. There is nothing you can do. Squirrels are evil and #### everything up until you get so frustrated you sell your house. 

We had a beautiful 70F day on Monday, which I spent a) working and b) doing a burn-in on the new grill.  Forecast doesn't show it getting out of the 50s (and lows in the 30s) for the next couple of weeks, so other than getting some radish seeds planted, there's not a lot I can or need to do.

We do have seeds started in the house though.

Bury a stash of acorns where he's been digging? 
Or maybe a small inflated balloon? Wonder if you could put something unpleasant in it (without poisoning yourself).

Pellet gun.

We had a beautiful 70F day on Monday, which I spent a) working and b) doing a burn-in on the new grill.  Forecast doesn't show it getting out of the 50s (and lows in the 30s) for the next couple of weeks, so other than getting some radish seeds planted, there's not a lot I can or need to do.

We do have seeds started in the house though.
I also have a compost bin that's pretty full, so I'll start hauling compost over to the garden while waiting for warmer days.

I need to start composting, I’ve never done it before. Any tips/tricks? Do I need to buy a fancy bin?
I don't think you have to, but I did. I have the one shown first here although I don't think I paid as much for it as the one linked. It mounts on rollers so to stir the compost you just roll the bin. (Except in winter when it freezes into a solid mass and weighs too much to move.(

We have a little bucket in the kitchen where we put coffee grounds, veggie scraps, egg shells and such, and when it's full I take it out and add to the bin.  You can get compostable liner bags that helps keep the interior from getting too nasty.

I also put in some yard waste - weeds pulled from flower beds, end-of-year garden plants.  I don't put in grass clippings because I have a mulching mower.

You can get really anal about getting the right balance of "green" and "brown" material, but I don't really do that and still get a couple of wheelbarrows full of really good almost-black material every Spring.  I'm sure there are people here that can go into way more detail on the ideal mixture.

We compost quite a bit using a sort of plastic mesh fence we made into a barrel which we got for free from the local Ag extension. The trick is making sure your mix of browns and greens is good. If you do it right, you won't have to mix it up all the time nor will it stink. 

Wanted to get our garden of our new house going last Spring/Summer and planted a few things.  We did our research and looked for plants that did well with the amount of sun our front yard gets as well as good plants for the area (Portland, OR).

I'd say only about half of the plants survived fall and winter.  We only had a couple freezes, but we picked plants that are supposed to be ok with this.  The only thing I can figure is that once you dig beyond half a foot in our yard, the soil turns to this thick, clay and I'm wondering if this is the issue.  In doing some googling, this type of soil prevents proper draining and with the amount of rain we get, plants just sit in water the whole time.  Is this what it could be? Am I supposed to dig out all of that clay and replace it?  

Wanted to get our garden of our new house going last Spring/Summer and planted a few things.  We did our research and looked for plants that did well with the amount of sun our front yard gets as well as good plants for the area (Portland, OR).

I'd say only about half of the plants survived fall and winter.  We only had a couple freezes, but we picked plants that are supposed to be ok with this.  The only thing I can figure is that once you dig beyond half a foot in our yard, the soil turns to this thick, clay and I'm wondering if this is the issue.  In doing some googling, this type of soil prevents proper draining and with the amount of rain we get, plants just sit in water the whole time.  Is this what it could be? Am I supposed to dig out all of that clay and replace it?  
You could always go with raised flower beds. Fill the bottom with cans and bottles (voids for drainage) and then add soil.

I also know people who just make a pile in some out of the way corner of the yard, or make a "pen" with chicken wire or old pallets. Those you have to periodically stir/mix/turn with a shovel or pitchfork, but almost $0 to get started.
This has been my method for 20+ years.
I have 2 piles going at once. One that is aging and the other one I’m actively tossing my compost in.  The more I turn it over the quicker it breaks down but in the colder months I can go a month or two with just adding and not turning it over.  I’ve never had a problem with smell  or critters outside of flys in the warmer months if I’m leaving fresh compost uncovered. 
I get at least 3-4 wheelbarrows  of beautiful black gold  each year. 
The added bonus is I can go 2-3 weeks without taking my trash to the curb. 

The landscaper said he'd trim my palm tress for $40. Then later in the conversation he said you know what make me an offer. I said how about $40? And he goes oh. . . uh . . . OK. Not sure but I might suck at negotiating.

Users who are viewing this thread