What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Aunt Jemima. Uncle Ben’s. Now Eskimo Pies. When will Redskins change their name? (1 Viewer)

No, some groups are pushing companies to halt advertising on social media platforms until the platforms moderate racist and false information
Yes, there has been a call for awhile on Twitter for Facebook especially to get a grip on some of the content they allow, promote and advertise. 

My mom was saying if we are going to keep doing the right thing we need to take down the statues of every man. 

Spike Lee has a production company called "40 Acres And A Mule"

Where is your outrage?

When people demand equality then don't actually apply equality, it's just another form of socially acceptable extortion.
That is what they were supposed to get to oppose racism inflicted -- and didn't receive.. Whats the issue?

"Don't condemn if you see a person has a dirty glass of water, [.....] just show them the clean glass of water that you have. When they inspect it, you won't have to say that yours is better."

-Elijah Muhammad
I didn't condemn them for what they have.   The Confederates had LOST the war and that was an American fix that should have been maintained. 

bradyfan said:
I’m confused.  He says Anglican churches around the world portray Jesus as their race.  But he only talks about Europeans changing the way they portray him.  Is there some HQ approved white Jesus he wants changed?  I can see that; if you are going to make an image it should be Middle Eastern. 

“"You go into their churches and you don't see a White Jesus -- you see a Black Jesus, or Chinese Jesus, or a Middle Eastern Jesus -- which is of course the most accurate.”

Last edited by a moderator:
ABC reports FedEx requested the Washington Redskins to change their team name. 

The Redskins, of course, play at FedEx Field, so this could be enough for ownership to actually make the long-overdue name change. What makes this even more interesting is the fact that one of the minority owners of the team, Frederick Smith, is the current CEO at FedEx. U.S. Congressman Raúl M. Grijalva also said the prospect of a new Redskins stadium is a "non-starter" until owner Dan Snyder changes the team name. Snyder has yet to provide a comment.

SOURCE: ABC7 on Twitter

Jul 2, 2020, 6:06 PM ET

What do we do with Black Hawks and Indians and Braves?
:shrug:   I would think Blackhawks would be OK in the same way Seminoles is.  Braves and Warriors don't feel negative, but that could just be me.   Cleveland is at least talking about changing the name.  Have the Chiefs even been mentioned?

Is everyone OK with the Vikings?  Aren't they a bunch of white invaders/pillagers?  :oldunsure:  

Last edited by a moderator:
 Have the Chiefs even been mentioned?
The Chiefs are a weird one.  When they came to town, the mayor of Kansas City was H. Roe Bartle. He was instrumental in getting the Dallas Texans to relocate to Kansas City. His nickname was also The Chief.

The reason that was his nickname was because he was a huge supporter of the Boy Scouts here in the Kansas City area.  He was the founder of the Tribe of Mic-O-Say.  From their website:

The Tribe of Mic-O-Say serves as a leadership enhancement program of the Heart of America Council designed to help the Heart of America Council fulfill its mission of preparing the young people of Eastern Kansas and Western Missouri to make ethical choices over their lifetimes by instilling in them the values of the Scout Oath and Scout Law.

Mic-O-Say accomplishes its purposes by affording members ongoing opportunities for introspection on Scouting values as well as practical application of those ideals. The program is focused on boys who have shown leadership abilities through specific achievement and growth, and provides them with a distinctive lifelong direction. The program is energized by memorable customs and traditions. Adult leaders are brought into the Tribe so that they may interpret and encourage the use and application of those principles in the lives of boys.

Tribesmen who have embraced the principles of Mic-O-Say will find their lives enriched by a vision raised to higher sights, see their performance increased beyond previous limitations, and will develop lifelong friendships. They will stand tall within their communities as examples of unselfish service and of willing leadership.

Now, I don't know how local Indian groups view the Tribe of Mic-O-Say - I was never a scout and don't know everything about them. But I do know Bartle was all about helping young people with their lives.

You could certainly argue that the Chiefs don't need to use Indian imagery, but from what I know it's never been from an area of disrespect. And I know that doesn't matter now.

"Is everyone OK with the Vikings?"

My 2 cents: if a name has its origins in a negative/stereotypical/racist manner, then it should be replaced. But if a name is generic enough that it could be rebranded in a positive way, then it should be kept.

"Warriors," "Chiefs," and "Braves" are fine, as they don't have to evoke Native stereotypes.

"Blackhawks" are "Seminoles" would be fine as long as the tribes are OK with it.

"Vikings" might be an issue if there were any Vikings left, but I'd put them in the same category as "Spartans" or "Athenians" or "Norsemen" -- once the culture disappears, then the name is fair game.

But Redskins? I just don't see how you can rebrand that name in a positive direction.

You could certainly argue that the Chiefs don't need to use Indian imagery, but from what I know it's never been from an area of disrespect. And I know that doesn't matter now.
Isn't the word "Indian" in this context in and of itself considered largely non-PC? Indian means someone from India, not a native American. I think.

Users who are viewing this thread