What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Great 2020 All Time Movie Draft- The judging is heavily biased against me. It’s a hoax! Fake news. (1 Viewer)

"Let Fredo take care of some Mickey Mouse nightclub somewhere." "Send Fredo to pick somebody up at the airport." I'm your older brother Mike and I was stepped over.

8.6 Best Supporting Actor: John Cazale

I don't know if this was on anyone's radar- it might be a reach to do this while movies like Chinatown and Ferris Bueller are coming off the board but the resume is strong here. He only made 5 movies. All 5 are classics. 3 of them won Best Picture and all 5 were nominated. Godfather 1, 2 and Deer Hunter have already been taken here. His girlfriend Meryl Streep considered him the best actor as did his quite famous 70s co-stars. Sure a judge might knock him for only making 5 movies but are we going to rank him behind a guy who made 80 movies, none of which nearly as good as the movies Cazale made? None of which delivered a supporting character as significant as Fredo. 

"Let Fredo take care of some Mickey Mouse nightclub somewhere." "Send Fredo to pick somebody up at the airport." I'm your older brother Mike and I was stepped over.

I don't know if this was on anyone's radar- it might be a reach to do this while movies like Chinatown and Ferris Bueller are coming off the board but the resume is strong here. He only made 5 movies. All 5 are classics. 3 of them won Best Picture and all 5 were nominated. Godfather 1, 2 and Deer Hunter have already been taken here. His girlfriend Meryl Streep considered him the best actor as did his quite famous 70s co-stars. Sure a judge might knock him for only making 5 movies but are we going to rank him behind a guy who made 80 movies, none of which nearly as good as the movies Cazale made? None of which delivered a supporting character as significant as Fredo. 
next level pick, tough category, well thought out...

2nd on my list for the category.  great pick.  Was the first name that popped into my mind when i saw the category but after some thought Pesci moved ahead.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm probably going to pick the guy with the 80 movies. :lol:  

8.7 - The Matrix - best of 90's (for now)

The movie that dropped the bomb on the industry and made everyone say "Whoa" with a straight face. "Whoa" is also the sound you made when you first saw Trinity "levitate" in bullet time and kick the crap out of the unprepared cops. And then again when she disappeared into the phone, narrowly escaping the truck. And then again...and again...and again...

Neo: What are you trying to tell me? That I can dodge bullets?

Morpheus: No, Neo. I'm trying to tell you that when you're ready, you won't have to.

By filming in Australia, the film-makers kept the final budget at $60 million. The movie would not have been green-lit by Warner Brothers otherwise, because it would have cost a record $180 million for a U.S.-based production.    

The name of the company for which Neo works is Metacortex. The roots of this word are meta-, which according to Webster's means "going beyond or higher, transcending," and -cortex, which is "the outer layer (boundary) of gray matter surrounding the brain." Thus, Metacortex is "transcending the boundaries of the brain," which is precisely what Neo proceeds to do.

The helicopter was a full-scale light-weight mock-up, and its blades were added post-production by the visual effects team.

On a computer, a "cookie" is a piece of data. The Oracle gives Neo a literal and a figurative cookie. This essentially turns him from being not The One to being The One. Same thing with the candy in the sequel (it's essentially another red pill).

8.7 - The Matrix - best of 90's (for now)

The movie that dropped the bomb on the industry and made everyone say "Whoa" with a straight face. "Whoa" is also the sound you made when you first saw Trinity "levitate" in bullet time and kick the crap out of the unprepared cops. And then again when she disappeared into the phone, narrowly escaping the truck. And then again...and again...and again...

Neo: What are you trying to tell me? That I can dodge bullets?

Morpheus: No, Neo. I'm trying to tell you that when you're ready, you won't have to.

By filming in Australia, the film-makers kept the final budget at $60 million. The movie would not have been green-lit by Warner Brothers otherwise, because it would have cost a record $180 million for a U.S.-based production.    

The name of the company for which Neo works is Metacortex. The roots of this word are meta-, which according to Webster's means "going beyond or higher, transcending," and -cortex, which is "the outer layer (boundary) of gray matter surrounding the brain." Thus, Metacortex is "transcending the boundaries of the brain," which is precisely what Neo proceeds to do.

The helicopter was a full-scale light-weight mock-up, and its blades were added post-production by the visual effects team.

On a computer, a "cookie" is a piece of data. The Oracle gives Neo a literal and a figurative cookie. This essentially turns him from being not The One to being The One. Same thing with the candy in the sequel (it's essentially another red pill).
I had that written down for another category that is deep.  

In all seriousness, I loved loved loved the Matrix. I think it was the summer before senior year and a bunch of people at the country club I worked at were talking about it like it really cracked a secret code of life. It was actually the first thing the curvaceous lifeguard would talk to me about. I ran out to see the movie and loved it. Then we saw it together and I have so many fond memories of her even though she ended up dumping me for our boss who was probably about 5 years older than us. I also remember being so excited for opening night of the sequel (no lifeguards this time) and walking out thinking I never wanted to see another Matrix movie again. 

any real movie fan will appreciate this bio vid

Pick 8.8 - Jaws - Best Movie Score (Category 35)

The most iconic beat that immediately sends chills up your spine.  Everyone knows what this sound means and is instantly put on notice.  Simple yet very effective.

The main "shark" theme, a simple alternating pattern of two notes—variously identified as "E and F" or "F and F sharp"—became a classic piece of suspense music, synonymous with approaching danger. Williams described the theme as "grinding away at you, just as a shark would do, instinctual, relentless, unstoppable." The piece was performed by tuba player Tommy Johnson. When asked by Johnson why the melody was written in such a high register and not played by the more appropriate French horn, Williams responded that he wanted it to sound "a little more threatening".  When Williams first demonstrated his idea to Spielberg, playing just the two notes on a piano, Spielberg was said to have laughed, thinking that it was a joke. As Williams saw similarities between Jaws and pirate movies, at other points in the score he evoked "pirate music", which he called "primal, but fun and entertaining". The primal opening notes are developed from the opening foreboding tone of Ravel's La Valse.  Calling for rapid, percussive string playing, the score contains echoes of La mer by Claude Debussy as well of Igor Stravinsky's The Rite of Spring.

There are various interpretations of the meaning and effectiveness of the primary music theme, which is widely described as one of the most recognizable cinematic themes of all time. Music scholar Joseph Cancellaro proposes that the two-note expression mimics the shark's heartbeat.  According to Alexandre Tylski, like themes Bernard Herrmann wrote for Taxi Driver, North by Northwest, and particularly Mysterious Island, it suggests human respiration. He further argues that the score's strongest motif is actually "the split, the rupture"—when it dramatically cuts off, as after Chrissie's death.  The relationship between sound and silence is also taken advantage of in the way the audience is conditioned to associate the shark with its theme,[6] which is exploited toward the film's climax when the shark suddenly appears with no musical introduction.

Spielberg later said that without Williams's score the film would have been only half as successful, and according to Williams it jumpstarted his career.

Nothing score wise fits the situation it was conveying better than this simple beat instilling fear and relentless danger.

In all seriousness, I loved loved loved the Matrix. I think it was the summer before senior year and a bunch of people at the country club I worked at were talking about it like it really cracked a secret code of life. It was actually the first thing the curvaceous lifeguard would talk to me about. I ran out to see the movie and loved it. Then we saw it together and I have so many fond memories of her even though she ended up dumping me for our boss who was probably about 5 years older than us. I also remember being so excited for opening night of the sequel (no lifeguards this time) and walking out thinking I never wanted to see another Matrix movie again. 
I've said it many, many times that there's one good Matrix sequel in those two movies. Give me the right editing software and protection from copyright laws and I'd deliver something good.

Round 8 - Jack Nicholson - Modern Movie Star 

Jack Nicholson is an American actor, director, producer, and screenwriter who made his film debut in The Cry Baby Killer (1958). Nicholson is widely regarded as one of the greatest actors of all time.[1][2] He is also one of the most critically acclaimed: his 12 Academy Award nominations make him the most nominated male actor in the Academy's history.[3] He is also a Kennedy Center Honoree and a recipient of the AFI Life Achievement Award and the Golden Globe Cecil B. DeMille Award.[4][5][6]
In addition to his many acting accolades and iconic roles his Laker super-fandom, his romances and partying lifestyle made him a HUGE movie star.

Round 8 - Jack Nicholson - Modern Movie Star 

In addition to his many acting accolades and iconic roles his Lake super-fandom, his romances and partying lifestyle made him a HUGE movie star.
He is one of the bubble guys.  I am not sure which category he should be in.  He is great all the way around but which is the proper category?  Legend or Modern.  Tough to know which one it should be.

He is one of the bubble guys.  I am not sure which category he should be in.  He is great all the way around but which is the proper category?  Legend or Modern.  Tough to know which one it should be.
His movies are split up pretty evenly (especially if you toss out his minor parts in his early years) based on the 1980s demarcation and he's had iconic roles during both halves (although post 1980 is some major major roles) - but I think in the decades of the 80s was where he was truly a movie STAR.

He could easily just slide into Best Actor IMO

The spreadsheet category numbers and the category numbers listed on page 1 don't seem to match.  Score is 35 on Page 1 and 39 on the spreadsheet.  Just an observation.  Not sure it matters.

The spreadsheet category numbers and the category numbers listed on page 1 don't seem to match.  Score is 35 on Page 1 and 39 on the spreadsheet.  Just an observation.  Not sure it matters.
Doesn't make any difference from a technical standpoint, but it might if you're only relying on the category number. They're listed in the spreadsheet to maximize documentation.

Pick 8.8 - Jaws - Best Movie Score (Category 35)

The most iconic beat that immediately sends chills up your spine.  Everyone knows what this sound means and is instantly put on notice.  Simple yet very effective.

The main "shark" theme, a simple alternating pattern of two notes—variously identified as "E and F" or "F and F sharp"—became a classic piece of suspense music, synonymous with approaching danger. Williams described the theme as "grinding away at you, just as a shark would do, instinctual, relentless, unstoppable." The piece was performed by tuba player Tommy Johnson. When asked by Johnson why the melody was written in such a high register and not played by the more appropriate French horn, Williams responded that he wanted it to sound "a little more threatening".  When Williams first demonstrated his idea to Spielberg, playing just the two notes on a piano, Spielberg was said to have laughed, thinking that it was a joke. As Williams saw similarities between Jaws and pirate movies, at other points in the score he evoked "pirate music", which he called "primal, but fun and entertaining". The primal opening notes are developed from the opening foreboding tone of Ravel's La Valse.  Calling for rapid, percussive string playing, the score contains echoes of La mer by Claude Debussy as well of Igor Stravinsky's The Rite of Spring.

There are various interpretations of the meaning and effectiveness of the primary music theme, which is widely described as one of the most recognizable cinematic themes of all time. Music scholar Joseph Cancellaro proposes that the two-note expression mimics the shark's heartbeat.  According to Alexandre Tylski, like themes Bernard Herrmann wrote for Taxi Driver, North by Northwest, and particularly Mysterious Island, it suggests human respiration. He further argues that the score's strongest motif is actually "the split, the rupture"—when it dramatically cuts off, as after Chrissie's death.  The relationship between sound and silence is also taken advantage of in the way the audience is conditioned to associate the shark with its theme,[6] which is exploited toward the film's climax when the shark suddenly appears with no musical introduction.

Spielberg later said that without Williams's score the film would have been only half as successful, and according to Williams it jumpstarted his career.

Nothing score wise fits the situation it was conveying better than this simple beat instilling fear and relentless danger.
What a great writeup.  The tuba that opens is playing E and F, then later plays alternating couplets of E/F D/E, but by then it's harder to hear because the higher-register horns have entered.  

It is, but I still think the ones that have a legit shot at #1 in the category are fairly few in number. Of course, the judging could be kind of iconoclastic, so who knows?
Those where my thoughts as well... first movie that came to mind for me in the category ...

"Do you have a guy like me in class every year? You know, a guy who you make an example of?"

"You'll find out next year."

"No way! As soon as I cruise history, I'm not coming near your side of the building!"

" 'Cruise' history ?"

"Soon as I pass your class."

"Oh ... If you pass."

"You're gonna flunk me?"

"Don't worry, Spicoli. You'll probably squeak by."

8.11: Fast Times at Ridgemont High, High School/Teenage Movie

Could probably spend all afternoon spouting out quotes from this movie:

"Oh Debbie ... hi."

"Doesn't anyone ever ####### knock anymore!?!?"

"Does he really live here? I thought he just flew in for games."

It is, but I still think the ones that have a legit shot at #1 in the category are fairly few in number. Of course, the judging could be kind of iconoclastic, so who knows?

"Do you have a guy like me in class every year? You know, a guy who you make an example of?"

"You'll find out next year."

"No way! As soon as I cruise history, I'm not coming near your side of the building!"

" 'Cruise' history ?"

"Soon as I pass your class."

"Oh ... If you pass."

"You're gonna flunk me?"

"Don't worry, Spicoli. You'll probably squeak by."

8.11: Fast Times at Ridgemont High, High School/Teenage Movie

Could probably spend all afternoon spouting out quotes from this movie:

"Oh Debbie ... hi."

"Doesn't anyone ever ####### knock anymore!?!?"

"Does he really live here? I thought he just flew in for games."
...and this is what I think might score a little better than the others drafted for the category so far.  

Users who are viewing this thread