What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Protest-RIOT Thread*** Police Officers fleeing Seattle and urban areas. (2 Viewers)

I agree on store owner and rioter. If you bring a bat, you are no longer a protestor you are a rioter. 
As for the guy who loves his neighborhood, there are a variety of questions I have. 
When you say “the neighborhood” it sounds like the guy lives nearby (let’s say within 2 mile radius?). I don’t have a problem with this, and rate it a 3 as well. If you’re arming yourself and driving an hour to where the protests are happening and standing across from protestors/rioters and exchanging verbal barbs it isn’t helping anything, and I’d rate it a 10. Proud boys/antifa showing up to protest/counter protest in body armor and helmets are all 10. It simply shouldn’t be allowed. 
I live in the town this kid lives in. He's been doxed on Twitter, and I'm seeing tweets about activists on the way here. Hope it's all smoke.

The fact that he was in Kenosha is ludicrous. Not that it's very far away (20 min or so), but there is zero connection between our little town and Kenosha.

I live in the town this kid lives in. He's been doxed on Twitter, and I'm seeing tweets about activists on the way here. Hope it's all smoke.

The fact that he was in Kenosha is ludicrous. Not that it's very far away (20 min or so), but there is zero connection between our little town and Kenosha.
Yeah, 17 supposedly too.  I know he's nearly an adult, but I have to play the game here:  Who in the hell let's their 17 year-old kid out the door to go to a counter protest armed with an AR-15?  Sweet Jesus.

ETA:  Reading some more, it seems like he was even part of some ascribed militia.  In that case I have to wonder if his parents were real "Muh freedom" mouthbreathers themselves. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Too many people are making some extremely dumb decisions, most likely driven by testosterone poisoning.  The little short guy who thought it would be fun to get in peoples' faces and demand to be shot, and the kid who thought it would be fun to play wild west vigilante, both learned the hard way that this isn't actually a tabletop RPG or video game.  

To be clear, this is dependent on local laws, however in most areas this is happening open carry is perfectly legal. This has been covered in many articles, and generally the "armed militia" types that are providing overwatch commit no crimes, and respect curfews where imposed. While I don't disagree that it runs the risk of helping escalate things... it's perfectly within their rights and the vast majority are extremely peaceful and just trying to stop criminals from destroying their neighborhoods. 
Open carry is not acting outside the law...using lethal force to defend properties that are not yours I think would get people in some trouble.

Within their rights to carry...but may be acting poorly as well is what I am getting at.

I work in Kenosha and have family (brother, sister, mom) that live blocks to miles from where the shooting happened last night.  After last night to say I am on edge is saying it lightly.  My 18 year old daughter has some grand illusion that she is going to the peaceful march tomorrow, we informed her that will not happen.  My sister and her family live blocks from last nights shooting and my brother and his family live blocks from the Monday night fires.  It is very depressing seeing all the activity and finding out this is people from other cities.  

What score on the store owner and what score on the neighborhood guy?

Assume the first guy hits them on the way to smashing a window. 
Again...that depends on who initiates what.  Is the guy armed as well...too many circumstances to act as if its just black and white.  If I punch a guy...does that give him a right to beat me with a bat?

I don't find it as simple as that.

And my point was never that it was equal blame...but that neither were acting wisely.  Especially when talking about arming themselves with lethal weapons.

Edit:  And I was quick earlier as I was stepping out for a run and just now back and cleaned up.

Id still say 10 for rioter...store owner...yeah 3-4 if he does not initiate.

Guy loving a neighborhood...again, is it his neighborhood or like another mentioned where he just comes in because he feels like it.  I think that changes.  That would range from 9ish  for a guy not really from around there to 5 or so if its his neighborhood.

Open carry is not acting outside the law...using lethal force to defend properties that are not yours I think would get people in some trouble.
All three individuals who were shot last night were in the process of attacking the gunman, I believe all were with weapons. These were self defense shootings. 

Yeah, 17 supposedly too.  I know he's nearly an adult, but I have to play the game here:  Who in the hell let's their 17 year-old kid out the door to go to a counter protest armed with an AR-15?  Sweet Jesus.

ETA:  Reading some more, it seems like he was even part of some ascribed militia.  In that case I have to wonder if his parents were real "Muh freedom" mouthbreathers themselves. 
From Joe: 

On a scale of 1 (not wrong) to 10 (totally wrong) what's your score for:

___ Guy rioting with a baseball bat intent on smashing store front window

___ Guy who just loves his neighborhood (not store owner) with a baseball bat intent on defending store front from the guy who wants to smash it.

___ Store owner with a baseball bat intent on defending store front from the guy who wants to smash it.

What are your thoughts on people that went there to protest the shooting? 

All three individuals who were shot last night were in the process of attacking the gunman, I believe all were with weapons. These were self defense shootings. 
Yet the gunman...was he legally carrying...was he there within the law himself?  And yeah, all with weapons is a problem...and part of the problem that has now escalated way too far.

• Sad
Reactions: rct
From Joe: 

10 Guy rioting with a baseball bat intent on smashing store front window

4 Guy who just loves his neighborhood (not store owner) with a baseball bat intent on defending store front from the guy who wants to smash it.

1 Store owner with a baseball bat intent on defending store front from the guy who wants to smash it.

10 Parents who allow (Eleven gaz-billion if encourage) their 17 year old to attend a counter protest at night with a gun.

What are your thoughts on people that went there to protest the shooting? 
Same, stay the eff home. Nothing good comes from any of this. I'm convinced the majority of the protesters/antifa/blm are bored, disaffected people looking for some excitement in their lives. With lockdowns and school not really being in session, the situation is exacerbated that much more. Heck, many of these kids wouldn't be doing this if they simply had normal summer jobs.

Same, stay the eff home. Nothing good comes from any of this. I'm convinced the majority of the protesters/antifa/blm are bored, disaffected people looking for some excitement in their lives. With lockdowns and school not really being in session, the situation is exacerbated that much more. Heck, many of these kids wouldn't be doing this if they simply had normal summer jobs.
Hard to disagree here. 

The first individual chased the gunman as he ran through a parking lot and threw what looks like an object in a plastic bag (it was not clearly on fire, like Bozeman claimed, and it certainly doesn't explode on contact with the ground like a "molotov cocktail" would as some have claimed he threw).  It appears from the live stream video that the gunman is already running through the parking lot with his rifle in his hands before the man shot in the head sees him and chases him. We also hear non-AR gunshots from somewhere nearby shortly after the man threw the object. The gunman then turns and fires 2-3 shots at the man, striking him in the head. The gunman then looped around the parked cars and pulls out a phone to call someone, before running from the scene and and is heard saying "I just killed someone." 

Other footage then shows the shooter continuing to flee the scene while some more people pursue him, with many shouting "that guy just shot someone!" etc. The shooter trips and falls while running away and is caught by several men and is struck (one man, I believe the second one to die, has a skateboard though I am unclear if he struck the gunman with it), the gunman then fires several more times from the ground, killing one man and wounding another before getting up and running toward the police (who did not detain him). I've seen claims that the wounded man had a pistol, but I haven't seen confirmation of that myself. Regardless, considering the young man in question had an AR-15 style rifle and was already fleeing the scene of a shooting, I'm not certain why someone else having a pistol is such a big deal.

I'd also note that the first paragraph above comes from a livestream following the general protest crowd. The incident occurs a minute or two after the bulk of the crowd has passed, and the gunman comes running from behind the bulk of the crowd. He does not appear to have been on location of the auto dealership initially. It appears that he was likely trying to confront some people who were tagging the auto dealership with spray paint and some others that were attempting (and seemingly failing) to smash out the windshields of some of the cars on the lot.

The first individual chased the gunman as he ran through a parking lot and threw what looks like an object in a plastic bag (it was not clearly on fire, like Bozeman claimed, and it certainly doesn't explode on contact with the ground like a "molotov cocktail" would as some have claimed he threw).  It appears from the live stream video that the gunman is already running through the parking lot with his rifle in his hands before the man shot in the head sees him and chases him. We also hear non-AR gunshots from somewhere nearby shortly after the man threw the object. The gunman then turns and fires 2-3 shots at the man, striking him in the head. The gunman then looped around the parked cars and pulls out a phone to call someone, before running from the scene and and is heard saying "I just killed someone." 

Other footage then shows the shooter continuing to flee the scene while some more people pursue him, with many shouting "that guy just shot someone!" etc. The shooter trips and falls while running away and is caught by several men and is struck (one man, I believe the second one to die, has a skateboard though I am unclear if he struck the gunman with it), the gunman then fires several more times from the ground, killing one man and wounding another before getting up and running toward the police (who did not detain him). I've seen claims that the wounded man had a pistol, but I haven't seen confirmation of that myself. Regardless, considering the young man in question had an AR-15 style rifle and was already fleeing the scene of a shooting, I'm not certain why someone else having a pistol is such a big deal.
Just for some clarifications: the below link has a ton of good photos of the event. In one of the lower pics, the guy who got his arm shredded (I've read since that he had to have that amputated), indeed, is holding a pistol.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8665383/One-shot-dead-two-wounded-BLM-protesters-defy-curfew-Kenosha.html

It's sad beyond words that there isn't a serious policy discussion about policing beyond defund or send in the Feds. It's just a ridiculous lack of leadership.
It's totally insane. It's because the law and order types want something done drastic (without touching the union, because the main law and order types love their union) while the defund types won't touch the union (because the main defund types love unions in the abstract).

At its heart, it's a union problem, and I don't know why people can't say it.

SAY IT. PUBLIC UNIONS ARE NO LONGER SERVING THE PUBLIC.

1st degree homicide charge.

Life comes at you fast.
He is considered a "fugitive from justice".  Kid fled the stated with intent to avoid prosecution.
https://www.ajc.com/news/3-shot-2-fatally-in-tuesday-night-wisconsin-protests/6P36YHUZBRCJTDAU3L45AJGC74/

17 year old arrested, charged with 1st degree homicide. For once the internet sleuths were correct on identifying the kid, as it was indeed the person floating around on Twitter threads.

This..most of the night time protesters don`t give a dam about George Floyd.  Look at some of the ones who were arrested, many have been arrested 7-8 times before.  This is just another rodeo for them..and one that is easier to wreck havoc without getting caught.

Wow. Guessing there is much we don't know about this for them to charge him 1st degree.
I actually think "we" collectively, know enough of the basic facts.

What he did was extremely reckless - even in the best light - to warrant the 1st degree homicide charge.

Now, he may raise defenses that mitigate his culpability here, but he is in a lot of trouble.  And, anyone thinking about showing up to a counter-protest with a weapon would be well advised to stay home.

Wow. Guessing there is much we don't know about this for them to charge him 1st degree.
Well, his social media presence seems to indicate that he's been espousing white supremacist ideas publicly for quite a while.

Hence the inappropriateness (and downright irony) of calling this an attempt at "lynching."

What he did was extremely reckless - even in the best light - to warrant the 1st degree homicide charge.

Now, he may raise defenses that mitigate his culpability here, but he is in a lot of trouble.  And, anyone thinking about showing up to a counter-protest with a weapon would be well advised to stay home.
I'm no attorney, but doesn't look like 1st degree to me. Which is why I'm thinking there is more to the story than the video.

I'm no attorney, but doesn't look like 1st degree to me. Which is why I'm thinking there is more to the story than the video.
It's extremely difficult to tell what happened with the first guy who got shot.  I'm assuming that this charge is based on some information investigators have about that event that isn't clear on the video.  Either that or it's just an over-charge. 

From Joe: 

___ Guy rioting with a baseball bat intent on smashing store front window

___ Guy who just loves his neighborhood (not store owner) with a baseball bat intent on defending store front from the guy who wants to smash it.

___ Store owner with a baseball bat intent on defending store front from the guy who wants to smash it.
I think this is a pretty good question. 

Helps clarify the "yeah but..." or the "both sides" a bit. 

The first individual chased the gunman as he ran through a parking lot and threw what looks like an object in a plastic bag (it was not clearly on fire, like Bozeman claimed, and it certainly doesn't explode on contact with the ground like a "molotov cocktail" would as some have claimed he threw). 
You appear to be operating with incomplete info and are thus making fallacious assumptions. 

Here let me help: 

Throwing Flaming Item at Gunman. It is clearly on Fire. Does sound like bottle hitting ground but inconclusive. Does not burst into flames (container didn't break due to lack of velocity?)

Other footage then shows the shooter continuing to flee the scene while some more people pursue him, with many shouting "that guy just shot someone!" etc. The shooter trips and falls while running away and is caught by several men and is struck (one man, I believe the second one to die, has a skateboard though I am unclear if he struck the gunman with it), the gunman then fires several more times from the ground, killing one man and wounding another before getting up and running toward the police
Clearly struck the shooter with the skateboard.  

I've seen claims that the wounded man had a pistol, but I haven't seen confirmation of that myself. Regardless, considering the young man in question had an AR-15 style rifle and was already fleeing the scene of a shooting, I'm not certain why someone else having a pistol is such a big deal.
Wounded man with pistol in hand.

And you're right..

NOT BAD: someone having a pistol

BAD: A group of people assaulting a retreating man, then one drawing a pistol while attacking the man on the ground (and is, in a vacuum, grounds for legal shooting in self defense)

It's important to note that the shooter was trying to get away from the mob the entire time, and at no point initiated violence. 

There is 0% Chance a 1st degree murder charge sticks with a good jury in Wisconsin... and I'm happy to take anyones money who wishes to assert so. :)  

1) He was reckless / dumb to travel from out of town and open carry with a rifle. 

2) He never shot anyone that wasn't attacking him. We have zero evidence of him initiating violence (if you have it please feel free to share the link).

A successful self defense plea is pretty clearly in play here. 

Hence the inappropriateness (and downright irony) of calling this an attempt at "lynching."
It was white on white crime. Get over yourself dude.   :lol:  

Also do you have any links to proof the kid was a white supremacist? I have seen posts supporting police (he was a police cadet at one point), but haven't seen any actual white supremacist stuff. (not saying there isn't, just that I hadn't seen it... and am asking for links). 

Unless someone wants to draw a parallel that supporting law enforcement is akin to white supremacy... then I can laugh directly in their face. 

There is 0% Chance a 1st degree murder charge sticks with a good jury in Wisconsin... and I'm happy to take anyones money who wishes to assert so. :)  

1) He was reckless / dumb to travel from out of town and open carry with a rifle. 

2) He never shot anyone that wasn't attacking him. We have zero evidence of him initiating violence (if you have it please feel free to share the link).

A successful self defense plea is pretty clearly in play here. 
I think there are several things in play here:

1.  I doubt the Kenosha police have the full story yet.

2.  This kid's name was in the public record, and the safest place for him, in the short-term, might be jail.

3.  Self-defense is going to be a touch-and-go defense here - when you brandish your weapon.  Think of the Arbery case - they effectively created the scenario that "required" self-defense.  You have a similar pattern of behavior here.

It will get sorted out over time - but, it really hurts his case that he went from Illinois to Wisconsin to confront people with an armed weapon.

Again...that depends on who initiates what.  Is the guy armed as well...too many circumstances to act as if its just black and white.  If I punch a guy...does that give him a right to beat me with a bat?

I don't find it as simple as that.

And my point was never that it was equal blame...but that neither were acting wisely.  Especially when talking about arming themselves with lethal weapons.

Edit:  And I was quick earlier as I was stepping out for a run and just now back and cleaned up.

Id still say 10 for rioter...store owner...yeah 3-4 if he does not initiate.

Guy loving a neighborhood...again, is it his neighborhood or like another mentioned where he just comes in because he feels like it.  I think that changes.  That would range from 9ish  for a guy not really from around there to 5 or so if its his neighborhood.
Thanks. I don't agree at all but it helps understand better what you're saying. 

Thanks. I don't agree at all but it helps understand better what you're saying. 
Fair enough...and now it seems the 17 year old came on from Illinois...does that change things to anyone?  Does not appear he was there to protect his neighborhood or store.

None of which excuses anyone attacking him either.

It was white on white crime. Get over yourself dude.   :lol:  

Also do you have any links to proof the kid was a white supremacist? I have seen posts supporting police (he was a police cadet at one point), but haven't seen any actual white supremacist stuff. (not saying there isn't, just that I hadn't seen it... and am asking for links). 

Unless someone wants to draw a parallel that supporting law enforcement is akin to white supremacy... then I can laugh directly in their face. 
His social media accounts have recently gone private/disabled.

All I know is that you're using bits and pieces of video to claim that this was 100% self-defense.

The only things that either of us know for sure at this point:

This was a 17 year old kid who drove from out of state, illegally possessing a firearm, killed two people and was just charged with first-degree murder.

I think there are several things in play here:

1.  I doubt the Kenosha police have the full story yet.

2.  This kid's name was in the public record, and the safest place for him, in the short-term, might be jail.

3.  Self-defense is going to be a touch-and-go defense here - when you brandish your weapon.  Think of the Arbery case - they effectively created the scenario that "required" self-defense.  You have a similar pattern of behavior here.
I'm no lawyer however I am more well versed on gun law that many folks due to being an active 2A advocate and gun owner. 

Brandishing involves drawing or displaying the weapon in an angry or threatening manner.

The kid was open carrying so that generally doesn't meet requirements for brandishing unless he begins waving the gun at people and openly threatening them.

I've seen zero video evidence of him waiving/pointing his gun at, or threatening any of the victims (or anyone really). I welcome sharing of links as I'm sure more is coming out by the minute.

He was running away and turned to shoot after being attacked in the second incident and it appears to be the same case in the first (he had already had a flaming item thrown at him, and the victim had been extremely agitated and behaving in a threatening and antagonistic manner leading up to the incident. This is all on video. 

Agreed Kenosha don't have all the evidence, and taking him into custody is wise for all parties. The announcement of a 1st Degree charge this soon while info is still coming out is a bit reckless, IMO. 

His social media accounts have recently gone private/disabled.
Okay so you CAN'T provide links showing he was a white supremacist.

What specifically did you see that made you claim he was a white supremacist. Actual white supremacist sayings/actions or just "Back the Blue" stuff that been circulating? Again, I'm not saying he wasn't but there is zero evidence thus far that backs your claims. 

Or are you just openly calling people white supremacists without any evidence? 

You're clearly the one in here race baiting. Please stick to the facts, and stop lying. 

• Thinking
Reactions: rct
The announcement of a 1st Degree charge this soon while info is still coming out is a bit reckless, IMO. 
Not really.  There has to be an actual charge to make the arrest.

The evidence shows he intentionally fired his weapon at multiple people, resulting in the death of one or more people.  At this stage, they have what they need to charge him.  the rest will be down to his lawyers and the DA sorting out any mitigating circumstances.

He'll plead to something eventually, and go to jail.

Are you saying they're equally wrong? If not, how do they compare?

- Guy rioting with a baseball bat intent on smashing store front window

- Guy who just loves his neighborhood (not store owner) with a baseball bat intent on defending store front from the guy who wants to smash it.

- Store owner with a baseball bat intent on defending store front from the guy who wants to smash it.
I assume 10 in the context of who is wrong in this specific scenario, not as is 10= wrong as in murder or something.  

Without know a ton and going assumptions, I would go something like:

5-6

Mostly, I don't get what #2 would be doing down there to begin with.  IMO I think the impulse is less about protecting the neighborhood and more about being fed up with the dip#### rioters and probably looking for a reason to crack one.  If I truly believed they were just there to help a neighbor or whatever, then that middle score would be lower.  

Not really.  There has to be an actual charge to make the arrest.
No... no  they don't.

You can be taken into custody for questioning for at least 24 hours, and often up to 72 if a serious charge is suspected. Given this was less than 12 hours ago and there is a tremendous amount of evidence to gather... I stand by the immediate charge being irresponsible. 

No... no  they don't.

You can be taken into custody for questioning for at least 24 hours, and often up to 72 if a serious charge is suspected. Given this was less than 12 hours ago and there is a tremendous amount of evidence to gather... I stand by the immediate charge being irresponsible. 
They need to extradite a suspect from another state - they needed to file a charge.

And there is enough evidence to support the charge.

I am not saying that the kid has no defenses here.  That is not what bringing charges is about.  

I assume 10 in the context of who is wrong in this specific scenario, not as is 10= wrong as in murder or something.  

Without know a ton and going assumptions, I would go something like:

5-6

Mostly, I don't get what #2 would be doing down there to begin with.  IMO I think the impulse is less about protecting the neighborhood and more about being fed up with the dip#### rioters and probably looking for a reason to crack one.  If I truly believed they were just there to help a neighbor or whatever, then that middle score would be lower.  
Yes. Not a murder or something. 

Just this specific generic scenario. 

They need to extradite a suspect from another state - they needed to file a charge.

And there is enough evidence to support the charge.

I am not saying that the kid has no defenses here.  That is not what bringing charges is about.  
Gotcha!

I hadn't seen where he had to be extradited. I assumed he had turned himself in, or at least made himself willingly available for questioning when he approached the police at the end of the video. 

Thanks for clarifying :thumbup:  

Users who are viewing this thread