What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE draft strategy (1 Viewer)

Jamesinaz

Footballguy
OK, I'm in a standard ESPN 12 team non-PPR redraft league.  Most owners have been doing this a few years so there is no way to draft a "killer team".

I am considering a strategy this year of drafting all RB/WR for 6 rounds.  QB and RB 7-8 rounds.  And not taking a TE until very late.  Then taking 2 upside guys and hope one breaks out.  I see lots of TEs getting hype this offseason and think if I can just guess right on 1 i'm in.  So, thoughts on that strategy and opinions on which high upside TEs you think will break out?

I'll toss a few names out that I think have potential:

Hockenson

Gesicki

Jarwin

Thanks

OK, I'm in a standard ESPN 12 team non-PPR redraft league.  Most owners have been doing this a few years so there is no way to draft a "killer team".

I am considering a strategy this year of drafting all RB/WR for 6 rounds.  QB and RB 7-8 rounds.  And not taking a TE until very late.  Then taking 2 upside guys and hope one breaks out.  I see lots of TEs getting hype this offseason and think if I can just guess right on 1 i'm in.  So, thoughts on that strategy and opinions on which high upside TEs you think will break out?

I'll toss a few names out that I think have potential:

Hockenson

Gesicki

Jarwin

Thanks
I like Herndon very late.

First off I recommend not forcing positions and being concrete in "I am taking a QB in round 7" type of thinking.  It will lead to missing value if players drop for some reason.  

Create a combined draft board and take the top guy on your list regardless of position.  Don't force a structure.  If Kelce happens to fall to late round 3 and you are set on taking a TE on round 12 you miss out on great value.

As far as late round TE's I also like Herndon.  In addition Gesiki should have a solid year so I would put him in the mix too.

Thanks for the advice guys.  And yeah I am fluid in drafts if they don't follow my expectations.  If Mahomes falls to the 4th round hey I"m in.  I am basing my idea on multiple mock drafts in my position and I can usually get a decent QB from the 3rd tier/7th round.  I'm planning on 2 QBs ala Brady/Stafford/Roethlesberger/Brees etc.  But of course you have to be open to changing strategy.

The one strategy I am pretty sure I'm going strong on is the late TE.  Sure, Andrews in the 5th round or Kelce in the 3rd I pivot but I am pretty sure the top 5 names will all go near their ADP in my draft.  Seems to me after those 5 (Kelce, Kittle, Ertz, Andrews and Waller), the rest are all potentially excellent or busts.  No point reaching for any of them.

OK I'm ranking guys based on ADP and find I could use picks in the 12-14 range to land two of the following  reliably.

Hockenson/Gesicki + Jarwin/J Smith

Assuming I did OK using my earlier picks not spent on a premium TE well on WR/RB will this sink me or should I have reasonable expectations of one of these breaking out for me?  

I am also planning on grabbing one of Hurst/Hooper/Fant if they fall into the 12 th round.  In which case I would only take one of the above choices.

Maybe I'm overthinking this.  Sorry.  Just trying to pack the team with RB/WRs.  

Users who are viewing this thread