What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ruth Bader Ginsburg RIP (1 Viewer)

I say take a vote regardless. I think McConnell should have taken a vote and denied Garland as we all expect they would have. The outcome was essentially the same as it would have been anyways, but that’s my position 
That's the sad/funny part.

Had they allowed for hearings and voted against Garland.....that's their right.  The Senate is under no obligation to confirm a president's nominee at ANY time.

But by playing games the way they did....they've lost any moral ground to push someone through now.  If they were so confident he wouldn't be confirmed.....just vote.

Not that I think Mitch McConnell cares about what is "right" in this instance..... but still.....incredibly short sighted from a strategic perspective.

But do they have the votes? Again Kavanaugh was a tough sell and with the election right here, some of the GOP Senators in danger might not be so quick to jump on board.
I think with the level of enthusiasm on the republican side, and the fact that the SCOTUS was the #1 factor in the last election for republicans, voting to not confirm would be political suicide for any republican senator

I would say it’s likely Romney would vote no. But we all know what happens to him at his re-election bid when that rolls around 

The senate could adopt Nancy Pelosi’s proxy rule. Allow senators to vote for up to 11 of their peers. Only 5 would need to be present. Liberals don’t seem to have a problem with that rule. Should allow Senators to go home and vote by proxy
I like this idea. It would keep the Democrats phony outrage and grandstanding to a minimum. 

I think with the level of enthusiasm on the republican side, and the fact that the SCOTUS was the #1 factor in the last election for republicans, voting to not confirm would be political suicide for any republican senator

I would say it’s likely Romney would vote no. But we all know what happens to him at his re-election bid when that rolls around 
Well obviously if one is a GOP Senator with dangerous polling number,  it's double edged sword. I think the side of true democracy/will of the people is clear is here. Wait until after the election. Trump is not a lame duck. If people want him to be POTUS and pick the next SC Justice, they will have their say. Jamming him through before is admitting a position of Democratic weakness. 

Tough for Collins for re-election in a liberal state.

It seems I'm in the minority, but I think there's no way the Republicans try to ram through a replacement before the election.  One, even for politicians, the hypocrisy would just be too much.  Two, it's a potent issue to keep Trump-hating conservatives from voting Biden.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tend to be Republican.  If i were Trump i wouldn't nominate anyone.  He could jeopardize any possibility of keeping the senate or if you are trump fan this could push any chance of him winning the election beyond reach.  If he wins then he gets to pick RBG's replacement.  If he loses and has picked RBG's replacement then the Democratic party will stuff the court as they have threatened.  That will be countered by Republicans and soon we will have 150 Supreme Court justices.  He might actually get some votes if he defers any action just to show he is presidential.

Also i don't think he will get the votes he needs.  Murkowski, Grassley have said no in the past, Romney won't and i don't think Collins will either.

• Smile
Reactions: JAA
It seems I'm in the minority, but I think there's no way the Republicans try to ram through a replacement before the election.  One, even for politicians, the hypocrisy would just be too much.  Two, it's a potent issue to keep Trump-hating conservatives from voting Biden.
Right, the carrot to lure out reluctant Republicans could be bigger than trying to jam it in. Though I suppose that carrot attracts donkeys as well. 

Also, Trump has been pretty bad at hiring people. I think that track record alone should give everyone pause regardless of politics. 
Right. These are not normal times.

And agreed this thread shouldn't be political. RIP to an amazing woman.

I cannot imagine working as hard as RBG did during her life.
Regardless of politics, she is a tremendous example for young women that a woman can be a mother and still achieve anything she wants.

Still don’t think you’re being disrespectful?
Not really.  You think people who die really want people to be sad for them?  Or happy and laughing?  Comedy lightens the heart and helps the healing process.

However, I'm sure sure somebody has already reported me because they can't take a joke.

Is there a thread in here for when Scalia died?  I'd like to go read that and see just how "respectful" everyone was in there.
Since you responded to me, I’ll say that I wouldn’t be surprised at all if people were being disrespectful in that thread too. That doesn’t make your comments any less disrespectful. As you know, I was defending you just last night in another thread, so this isn’t personal at all. I’m just being straight with you. A Weekend at Bernie’s joke in the hours following her death is neither respectful nor healing nor funny.  And, no, I didn’t report you. Okay, that’s really all I have to say on the subject. 

Is there a thread in here for when Scalia died?  I'd like to go read that and see just how "respectful" everyone was in there.
Yes I remember the Scalia thread, many posters here were were trashing him and kicking dirt on his grave immediately. It got “sanitized” of course.

May the she rest in piece.

It was clear she had slipped mentally over the last decade allowing herself to be dominated by the racist Sotomayor.  

May the she rest in piece.

It was clear she had slipped mentally over the last decade allowing herself to be dominated by the racist Sotomayor.  
I am aware of one comment from 11 years ago that some people thought was racist. Has there been anything else?

I am aware of one comment from 11 years ago that some people thought was racist. Has there been anything else?
Her voting record.  Her rulings as a judge were she thinks its okay to have different testing/admission standards based on skin color or ethnicity.  That is the very definition of racism.

Her voting record.  Her rulings as a judge were she thinks its okay to have different testing/admission standards based on skin color or ethnicity.  That is the very definition of racism.
By that logic, RBG is a racist. Sandra Day O’Connor as well. 

RIP RBG.  Thank you for your service.  You were a credit to the practice of law and will be sorely missed.  

Thanks. I can't say I agree but I appreciate the reply.

First of all RIP, Ruth was an icon.   

But we have to realize she was going to be 88 soon and has been in poor health for many years. I think some of the justices, and politicians should have some foresight and retire at the correct time.  Ruth`s time to retire probably was when she turned 80 and Obama was finishing up his first term. 

Users who are viewing this thread