What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Should Ruth Bader Ginsburg Have Retired Before Her Passing To Protect Roe v Wade? (6/27/22 17:59 PST) (1 Viewer)

GordonGekko

Footballguy
Direct Headline: Ruth Bader Ginsburg Could Probably Have Saved Roe by Retiring

But she earned the right to make her choice. Point a finger instead at Democrats who’ve proven they will give in, while Republicans will fight to the end to protect their power....As one of the most esteemed liberal justices to sit on the bench, Ginsburg had scoffed at the idea of retiring before she felt that she could “no longer do the job”. Following multiple bouts with cancer and a broken hip her ability to conquer each health obstacle with perseverance and strength turned her into a living feminist folk hero and rock star until her death at the age of 87. She seemed indestructible, until she wasn’t.

Now, the question must be asked: Could her retirement at the age of 80 in then President Obama’s second term have....saved the court, but in giving up her seat she could have stalled its transformation into the conservative juggernaut that is about to achieve the Republicans’ Holy Grail....When the calls for Justice Ginsburg to retire began, many, including myself, derided the suggestions as anti-feminist at best and outright misogynist at worst. Do we ever ask men of a certain age to retire? No, we admire them as elder statesmen and applaud their ability to cheat death until the very end. Women, of course, are never afforded such applause....

....Should it have been up to Ginsburg, the second woman ever named to the Supreme Court, to make her own decision about whether or not to retire? Yes. It was her choice and she earned it...

Danielle Moodie  May 03, 2022 12:58AM ET 

https://www.thedailybeast.com/ruth-bader-ginsburg-could-probably-have-saved-roe-by-retiring

Direct Headline: Why Ginsburg Didn’t Retire

If justices admit they’re political, their role in government becomes much harder to defend. No wonder Ginsburg clung to her seat....Many people are therefore revisiting the question of why Ginsburg didn’t retire when Democrats held the Senate back during Barack Obama’s first term, so that she could be replaced with a younger liberal who could cling to the bench for many more decades....

At the time, many pointed out that Ginsburg’s refusal to leave risked putting us in exactly the scenario that has now occurred. For her part, Ginsburg’s public reasoning ranged from the naive to the self-aggrandizing. She said that “I think one should stay as long as she can do the job,” that “there will be a president after this one, and I’m hopeful that that president will be a fine president,” and even expressed doubt that a replacement could be as good as her: “Who you would prefer on the court [rather] than me?”

..... Instead, I think we can find a key part of the explanation for Ginsburg’s decision in something New York Times reporter Linda Greenhouse said in 2013: “I think she feels that it belittles and diminishes the court to have retirements so obviously timed for political reasons, and the more people yap at her… the more political and instrumental her retirement would seem....” 

My guess is that this was, in fact, at the core of Ginsburg’s decision. If Ginsburg had made the decision to retire not on the basis of her own capacity to do the job, but purely because she wanted Barack Obama to “get a younger liberal justice on the court,” this would have been “political” and “instrumental.” I suspect that everything in Ginsburg’s understanding of what the court is and how it should function revolted against this. To admit that the court is political would be to admit that much of what the justices say and do is mere pretense. To retire would have involved accepting something that justices like Ginsburg work very hard to deny. It would have bordered on admitting that the institution is a fraud....

....Federal appellate judge Richard Posner explained in a 2009 interview the dirty secret that judges are on some level aware of but try not to speak aloud: ....They are reluctant to admit that they are… “occasional legislators,” and have been skillful in concealing the fact from the public [not that skillful, I’d note, since we all know it], being abetted in this regard by the legal profession, which has an interest in depicting the law as a domain of sophisticated reasoning rather than, to a considerable extent, of politics, intuition, and emotion. The secrecy of judicial deliberations is an example of the tactics used by the judiciary to conceal the extent to which such deliberations resemble those of ordinary people attempting to resolve disputes in circumstances of uncertainty. The concealment feeds a mystique of professionalism that strengthens the judiciary in its competition for power with the executive and legislative branches of government, the branches that judges like to call “political” in asserted contradistinction to the judicial branch.....

....Ultimately, what we want is to enact our policies, and conservatives want to enact theirs, and the court is a means to that end, but once it starts blocking those policies, none of us like the court anymore. ...We fight over the Supreme Court because we are stuck with the Supreme Court. .... This is in part because everything is political; “politics” is just a statement of our normative values about what our governing institutions ought to be doing, and everyone has such values, and it’s good to have them....

...I see no need to gratuitously excoriate Justice Ginsburg after her death. But her view of the court is not one that anyone can reasonably hold anymore..... Everyone else should admit this, too, even though it leads us to deep and unsettling questions about what the purpose of the Supreme Court even is. We should be willing to confront those questions even if they lead us to radically reevaluate what kinds of institutions are needed in order to best serve the public good......

Nathan J. Robinson 23 September 2020

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2020/09/why-ginsburg-didnt-retire/

Direct Headline: Ruth Bader Ginsburg fires back against critics who say she should have retired under Obama: ‘Who would you prefer on the court?’

Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg fired back on Wednesday against critics who say the liberal justice should have retired while President Barack Obama was in office.....“When that suggestion is made, I ask the question: Who do you think the president could nominate that could get through the Republican Senate, who you would prefer on the court than me?”

....The 86-year-old justice is on the mend after completing a three-week course of radiation treatment in August for a tumor found on her pancreas. In December, Ginsburg underwent surgery for a separate cancer found on her lungs....

“This is my fourth cancer bout, and I found each time that when I am active I am much better than when I am just lying about feeling sorry for myself,” Ginsburg said. “The necessity to get up and go is stimulating. And somehow, all these appearances I’ve had since the end of August, whatever my temporary disability is, it stops, and I’m OK for the event.....”

Tucker Higgins Sep 19 2019 10:00 AM EDT

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/18/rbg-fires-back-against-critics-who-say-she-should-have-retired-under-obama.html

Direct Headline: Ruth Bader Ginsburg: Roe v. Wade Went Too Far

Justice Ginsburg made some interesting comments about Roe v. Wade recently. Could they be a signal about where the Court is headed on gay marriage?....Instead, Ginsburg told an audience Saturday at the University of Chicago Law School that while she supports a woman’s right to choose, she feels the ruling by her predecessors on the court was too sweeping and gave abortion opponents a symbol to target. Ever since, she said, the momentum has been on the other side, with anger over Roe fueling a state-by-state campaign that has placed more restrictions on abortion.

“That was my concern, that the court had given opponents of access to abortion a target to aim at relentlessly… My criticism of Roe is that it seemed to have stopped the momentum that was on the side of change....”....The ruling is also a disappointment to a degree, Ginsburg said, because it was not argued in weighty terms of advancing women’s rights. Rather, the Roe majority opinion, written by Justice Harry Blackmun, centered on the right to privacy and asserted that it extended to a woman’s decision on whether to end a pregnancy....A more restrained judgment would have sent a message while allowing momentum to build at a time when a number of states were expanding abortion rights...Ginsburg told the students she prefers what she termed “judicial restraint” and argued that such an approach can be more effective than expansive, aggressive decisions....“The court can put its stamp of approval on the side of change and let that change develop in the political process...”

....Some advocates of abortion rights have argued that Roe has actually hurt their movement more than it has helped because, for more than 40 years now, it has served as a rallying cry for the Pro-Life movement....They could have limited their decision simply to that issue rather than trying to set policy for the nation as a whole.  Yes, it would have meant that the abortion rights movement would have had to take the time to expand abortion rights at the state level. However, it’s worth noting that, at the time Roe was handed down, many states had already either begun or completed the process of liberalizing their abortion laws thanks in no small part to the influence of the women’s rights movement, other states were getting ready to follow in their footsteps. By intervening to set national policy in one fell swoop, the Supreme Court halted that political process and imposed abortion policy on the nation as a whole at a time when the political debate about abortion rights had barely begun. As a result, it served to create an impression that abortion rights were imposed on the nation in an undemocratic manner, something that the pro-life movement has used to its advantage for decades now....

Doug Mataconis May 12, 2013

https://www.outsidethebeltway.com/ruth-bader-ginsburg-roe-v-wade-went-too-far/

Direct Headline: Ruth Bader Ginsburg's Warning About Roe v. Wade Came True

.....While it may seem unlikely, Ginsburg, the pioneering advocate for women's rights who died in September 2020 at age 87, was a frequent critic of Roe v. Wade, especially its framing and the speed in which it was pushed through....In a much-quoted lecture she gave at New York University in 1992, Ginsburg noted how Roe was an example of how "Doctrinal limbs too swiftly shaped...may prove unstable...."

....Ginsburg was in essence disagreeing with Roe's base argument that the right to abortion was based on the privacy of a woman with her doctor, and not a violation of equal protection as guaranteed by the Constitution....Ginsburg believed "it would have been better to approach it under the equal protection clause" so Roe v. Wade would be less vulnerable to attempts to have it disbarred...."Roe isn't really about the woman's choice, is it?....It's about the doctor's freedom to practice...it wasn't woman-centered, it was physician-centered.....Suppose the Court had stopped there, rightly declaring unconstitutional the most extreme brand of law in the nation, and had not gone on, as the Court did in Roe, to fashion a regime blanketing the subject, a set of rules that displaced virtually every state law then in force....Would there have been the twenty-year controversy we have witnessed, reflected most recently in the Supreme Court's splintered decision in Planned Parenthood v. Casey? A less encompassing Roe, one that merely struck down the extreme Texas law and went no further on that day, I believe and will summarize why [it] might have served to reduce rather than to fuel controversy...."

By Ewan Palmer 5/3/22 8:57 AM EDT

https://www.newsweek.com/ruth-bader-ginsburg-roe-wade-abortion-scotus-1702948

“Dissents speak to a future age. It’s not simply to say, ‘My colleagues are wrong and I would do it this way.’ But the greatest dissents do become court opinions and gradually over time their views become the dominant view. So that’s the dissenter’s hope: that they are writing not for today, but for tomorrow.”  - Ruth Bader Ginsburg

This is an extremely complex topic beyond just the current fight about abortion rights across America.

On one hand, RBG still had her sharp thoughtful wit and her mental acuity still seemed to hold a razor's edge. On the other hand, she was aging to the point of legitimate concern, with major medical issues including multiple bouts with cancer (lung, colon, pancreatic) , in a demographic range where a possible cognitive free fall or death could have had a brutal impact on our entire Republic. ( Some believe that it did....)

Should RBG have retired to save Roe V Wade? Or to allow a liberal leaning Justice candidate to come forward while Obama still held POTUS?

Is RBG, now receiving some criticisms that she "should have retired", responsible for the Democratic Party and it's inability to win enough elections to codify Roe into federal law?

Is RBG responsible for Obama lying about pushing for Roe to become federal law as his first goal and duty in office and then refused to lift a single damn finger over the issue?

Is RBG responsible for Obama holding reproductive rights as hostage against voters for another potential term, reaping the value of the wedge issue and the implied boost in fund raising, instead of just ending this long standing conflict for good?

Is RBG responsible for Hillary Clinton refusing to campaign for....Hillary Clinton in the 2016 cycle.... where she was widely and arrogantly perceived as almost ordained, anointed and promised POTUS, and then lost Trump and three subsequent SCOTUS seats to the Conservative Catholic base?

Is RBG responsible for Team Blue politicians refusing to accept fault for not being able to convince everyday working class Americans at large that they were worth voting for and supporting to win the majorities they needed to get the laws they wanted in the actual democratic way prescribed?

Is RBG responsible that Obama and his minions in Congress didn't fight harder or change their tactics over Merrick Garland?

Is NYT's Linda Greenhouse correct in that for RBG to retire in a way that was "politically expedient" for Obama and Team Blue, that it would essentially admit in public that SCOTUS is not above party politics? Is that a bit of a quagmire as it's long held that SCOTUS Byron White ( one of two who dissented in Roe)  timed his own retirement so Clinton could nominate RBG in the first place?

Is RBG's long term legacy tarnished for this?  Is that insulting as she's been instrumental in furthering women's rights her entire legal career? Will she be "cancelled" after death because she had the audacity not to live another three to four months more for the benefit of Team Blue and their partisan desires?

How complicated does the age factor to all this become when Joe Biden is already under constant fire for questions about his age and "alleged" cognitive decline and the tragic potential of POTUS 2024 turning into Trump Vs Biden 2.0, where it would be a war of the geriatrics?

Is it misogynist and sexist that it's long held in rumor that Obama asked RBG to retire but that some critics say that would not have happened if she was a man instead?

Should a retiring SCOTUS Justice have any say in their potential successor if there is a methodology to "time" their retirement to benefit one specific political Party over another?

Had RBG lived longer, what would be her view of Amy Coney Barrett? Is it fair to ACB to be held to the standard of Ginsburg without the fair public opportunity to carve her own path without the implied tribalism?

Should Ruth Bader Ginsburg Have Retired Before Her Passing To Protect Roe v Wade, which she knew was under threat?

I'll leave this here for others to discuss.

CONTEXTUAL MATERIAL ( Arguments For And Against Retirement Of RBG) :

Direct Headline: Ruth Bader Ginsburg Is Irreplaceable

All you liberals trying to push her out, think about that....Erwin Chemerinsky, dean of the UC–Irvine law school argues... that Ginsburg....should retire this summer in order to ensure that “a Democratic president will be able to choose a successor who shares her views and values.” Why this summer? Because “If Ginsburg waits until 2016 to announce her retirement, there is a real chance that Republicans would delay the confirmation process to block an outgoing president from being able to fill a vacancy on the Supreme Court....”  

....Bracket for a moment the discussion about whether it’s in poor taste to advise Supreme Court justices that they are old and don’t know what’s happening.....This shouldn’t really be a conversation about good taste. The fact is that making a political judgment about a justice in a public forum is never going to work....

So what is it that she isn’t taking into account? Do Ginsburg’s critics think she has forgotten her age, or her medical history, or the date of the upcoming election? Do they expect her to answer blatantly political questions from reporters about the need for Obama to appoint her successor in blatantly political ways? She answers in riddles not because she is clueless but because to do otherwise would be absurd, and undermine the judicial branch, and her own integrity.....

Arguments about Ginsburg’s political judgment almost by necessity inflect upon her judgment as a whole, and yet nobody has advanced any argument for the proposition that Ginsburg’s judgment is failing..... Ginsburg plays a crucially important role in the Roberts Court as the senior justice on the liberal bloc, not just in terms of assigning opinions but in terms of writing them. If anything, Ginsburg has been stronger in recent years than ever and has been a crisper, more urgent voice for women’s rights, minority rights, affirmative action, and the dignity of those who often go unseen at the high court than ever before....

...Epps’ other point is that knowing when you’ve stayed at the court too long is a complex and deeply personal inquiry, and that many of the justices who overstayed their time were blind to their own illnesses and failings. Others left before they should have....

....Reproductive rights advocate and writer Jessica Mason Pieklo suggests that it’s not the legacy of Roe we should be obsessing about anyhow, but rather why it is that Democrats can’t seat progressives no matter which party is in power....Ginsburg herself often says that the chances of another Ginsburg being confirmed to the court today are negligible. It’s perverse in the extreme to seek to bench Ginsburg the fighter, simply because Senate Democrats are unwilling or unable to fight for the next Ginsburg....

By Dahlia Lithwick March 19, 2014 3:52 PM

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2014/03/ruth-bader-ginsburg-shouldnt-retire-shes-irreplaceable.html

Direct Headline: Liberal Writers Say Ruth Bader Ginsburg Shouldn't Retire. That's Not Only Wrong—It's Dangerous.

Ruth Bader Ginsburg.... is currently serving in the sixth year of a Democratic presidential term, with no guarantee of who the next president will be. You might think that these facts call for her to retire now, and thus ensure that her seat on the bench is filled by an Obama appointee, who would be almost certain make it through the Senate (which might not be Democratic in a year). And yet liberal commentators seem to be arguing otherwise. The consequences could be severe.

...Well, to answer her question, the country would share in the blame for electing a right-wing president....I think from [Ginsburg's] perspective she is taking a long view of history, not a case by case one, or a term by term one. She has to believe that justice will win out in the end—or that, if it doesn't, her departure at one point or another couldn't be the major factor. I agree with her and I think people ought to give this issue a rest and concentrate on electing Democrats to the White House and the Senate....

....The lesson, if there is one, is that the timing of judicial resignation is a complex mix of ego, ideas of mortality, political fealty, and dynamics within the Court. Justices, I suspect, just don’t see the issue the way the rest of us do, as a straightforward matter of presidential elections and judicial votes....And for that reason, I think publicly telling Ruth Ginsburg what to do would be bad manners and bad psychology. I wish this brilliant woman 100 years of life, whenever and however she leaves the Court. I only know I will miss her when she is gone....

Isaac Chotiner March 20, 2014

https://newrepublic.com/article/117092/ruth-bader-ginsburg-should-retire-right-now

Direct Headline: Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s Reason Not to Retire Makes No Sense

There is a solid argument to be made that Ruth Bader Ginsburg should ignore the fretting liberals urging her to retire from the Supreme Court while President Obama can still replace her with a fellow liberal.....It is true that Republicans retain the right to filibuster a Supreme Court nominee. They may use this power to restrain the president from nominating a particularly objectionable figure, as both parties have done in the past. But if they use it as a generalized blockade, stopping Obama from nominating any mainstream Democratic figure, then Senate Democrats would almost surely enact another rule change....

....What’s more, such a scenario is highly likely to occur. The last time Obama nominated a Supreme Court Justice, in 2010, his nominee, Elena Kagan, had secured effusive praise from Republicans in Congress. Nonetheless, only five of them voted to confirm her....Slate’s Dahlia Lithwick has argued that the risk is worth taking, since Ginsburg’s intellectual firepower surpasses that of any potential replacement. “Telling her that her work is awesome, but it’s time to move on is tantamount to saying that a liberal is a liberal and that Ginsburg brings nothing to the table that another Obama appointee will not replicate....”

....The argument for her retirement, rather, merely posits that the difference between Ginsburg and another Democrat is far smaller than the difference between another Democratic justice and a Republican one. ....Or maybe Ginsburg and her allies should openly acknowledge that they find her unique role on the Court so valuable as to make it worth the risk of losing her seat to the Republicans....Instead, Ginsburg is insisting that her decision not to retire runs no such risk. That argument is simply wrong....

By Jonathan Chait Sept. 24, 2014

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2014/09/ginsburgs-reason-not-to-retire-makes-no-sense.html

Direct Headline: Why Justices Ginsburg and Breyer should retire immediately.

Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Stephen Breyer should soon retire. That would be the responsible thing for them to do. Both have served with distinction on the Supreme Court for a substantial period of time.... Both are unlikely to be able to outlast a two-term Republican presidential administration, should one supersede the Obama administration following the 2012 election. What’s more, both are, well, old: Ginsburg is now 78, the senior sitting justice. Breyer is 72....

Is such a suggestion an illicit politicization of the Court? No. It is simply a plea for realism...There is nothing wrong in principle with such a calculation. A justice should have a deep, even passionate, commitment to his or her judicial philosophy and therefore act within his or her lawful powers to advance that perspective..... Cloaked with lifetime tenure, federal judges have a unique power to determine when their judicial careers should end and thus possess an important, though oft-overlooked, way of influencing the trajectory of the federal bench.

....If Ginsburg and Breyer abjure retirement and Obama wins, the justices’ subsequent departures will be relatively harmless. On the other hand, if Obama loses, they will have contributed to a disaster. The career of Justice Thurgood Marshall is a cautionary tale. When asked about the prospect of retiring, he remarked on several occasions that his appointment was for life and that he intended to serve out his term fully. We now know, of course, that the end of Marshall’s time at the Court was less dramatic than that but deeply saddening nonetheless. Plagued by failing health, he retired on June 27, 1991, setting the stage for President George H. W. Bush to replace “Mr. Civil Rights” with Clarence Thomas...

Randall Kennedy April 27, 2011

https://newrepublic.com/article/87543/ginsburg-breyer-resign-supereme-court

Direct Headline: U.S. Justice Ginsburg hits back at liberals who want her to retire

Ginsburg, in a wide-ranging 75 minute interview with Reuters in her chambers late on Thursday, also acknowledged that President Barack Obama had invited her to a private lunch last summer at the White House. It was an unusual move, she conceded....Responding to questions about whether Obama might have been fishing for information about possible retirement plans, Ginsburg said, “I don’t think he was fishing....I don’t remember the specifics, but we did talk about the court....”

....Asked what she believed Obama might think about her future, she said, “I think he would agree with me that it’s a question for my own good judgment...”

By Joan Biskupic July 31, 20145:29 PM

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-court-ginsburg/u-s-justice-ginsburg-hits-back-at-liberals-who-want-her-to-retire-idUSKBN0G12V020140801

Last edited by a moderator:
CONTEXTUAL MATERIAL ( Political Gamesmanship Over SCOTUS) :

Direct Headline: Democrats Regret Not Fighting Harder For Obama's Supreme Court Pick

...The reason Gorsuch is on the court at all largely comes down to one person: Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), who refused to give Obama’s nominee, Merrick Garland, a shot at filling the seat vacated after Antonin Scalia’s death in February 2016. Garland never got a confirmation hearing or a vote; many GOP senators refused to even meet with him. McConnell pushed the argument that the next president should get to choose the next justice....Democrats didn’t control the Senate at the time. But as they watch the Supreme Court now hand down major victories for conservatives, with Gorsuch playing a pivotal role, some of them wonder if they could have done more to stop McConnell...

“We should have shut down the Senate,” Sen. Brian Schatz (D-Hawaii) said Tuesday. “We made a calculation that we were going to win the 2016 [presidential] election and confirm a nominee. And it didn’t work out....”... The issue was, frankly, with Garland himself. He was too moderate and too boring for some, and he just didn’t excite progressives.....“There were options to pick someone that the base would have been mobilized to support because of who they were and what they represented for the court....”

....Senate Republicans held a 54-44 majority in 2016, leaving Democrats with few good choices. One option was extreme and risky: force votes on trivial amendments in order to grind the Senate to a halt and shut down the government with a Democratic president in the White House and another Democrat hoping to win the office in November....But Democrats assumed Hillary Clinton would win the presidency. They discussed whether McConnell would relent and let Garland through during Congress’ lame duck session if she won the election.... And there was debate about whether she should renominate Garland or tap someone more progressive of her choosing instead. There was far less discussion about what would happen if Trump won the White House.....

By Igor Bobic, Amanda Terkel, and Jennifer Bendery Jun 27, 2018, 12:59 PM EDT

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/democrats-merrick-garland_n_5b33b0efe4b0b5e692f38738

Direct Headline: In A Tribute To Justice Ginsburg, Obama Calls On Senate To Delay Naming A Successor

Former President Barack Obama paid tribute to Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg on Friday, calling on Republicans to delay filling the vacancy left by her death until after the 2020 presidential election....Regarding the task of filling her Supreme Court seat, he asked Republicans to "apply rules with consistency, and not based on what's convenient or advantageous in the moment," referring to the precedent set when the Senate would not hold a hearing on his nomination of Merrick Garland in 2016 following the death of Justice Antonin Scalia....

...The former president also referenced Ginsburg's "instructions for how she wanted her legacy to be honored." Before her death, she (allegedly) told her granddaughter, Clara Spera, that her "most fervent wish" was that she would not be replaced "until a new president is installed...."

Suzanne Nuyen September 19, 2020 5:01 AM ET

https://www.npr.org/sections/death-of-ruth-bader-ginsburg/2020/09/19/914717463/in-a-tribute-to-justice-ginsburg-obama-calls-on-senate-delay-naming-a-successor

Direct Headline: Democrats have raised more than $300M since Ginsburg’s death

Democrats have raised more than $300 million in small-dollar donations for candidates and progressive causes since Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s death, an ActBlue spokesperson told The Hill on Monday....ActBlue had already announced that Democratic candidates had received more than $91 million in 28 hours after the Supreme Court announced Ginsburg’s death on Sept. 18. ...Swing Left, a Democratic group that aims to flip the Senate to Democratic control, told The Hill that it has raised more than $2.6 million for Senate candidates and more than $1.7 million for state legislative races since Ginsburg’s passing....

....GiveGreen, an organization that supports environmentally friendly candidates, confirmed to The Hill that it has received more than $37 million to support its candidates as of Monday morning. More than $18 million is designated for Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden’s campaign, and more than $12 million is marked for House and Senate races. ...In 2016, GiveGreen said it raised $8 million, less than a fourth of this year’s total....

by Justine Coleman - 09/28/20 4:38 PM ET

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/518621-democrats-have-raised-more-than-300-million-since-ginsburgs-death/

Direct Headline: Filling Ruth Bader Ginsburg's Supreme Court seat would be a disastrous Republican move.

If Republicans force a Trump nominee onto the Supreme Court and Democrats sweep the election, bygones won't be bygones. There will be retribution....It’s consequences. Filling that seat would be the most disastrous thing Republicans could do, not just to the country but to themselves....

There will be retribution

....I want to emphasize that these are not gauzy hypotheticals. If Republicans force a nominee from President Donald Trump onto the Supreme Court and Democrats win control of Congress and the presidency, the events I have described are the political equivalent of the physical law that every action has an equal and opposite reaction. There is simply no way congressional Democrats are going to smile ruefully at their Republican colleagues and let bygones be bygones. There will be retribution, and that retribution will be expressly calculated to teach Republicans the meaning of powerlessness. It won’t be pretty to watch. It won’t be good for the country. But it will happen, nonetheless....

Chris Truax 9/20/20

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2020/09/20/ruth-bader-ginsburg-supreme-court-republicans-should-wait-column/5842050002/

What were the chances that Donald Trump was going to beat Hillary Clinton?  It was a virtual lock she was going to win until she didn't.  Hindsight 20/20 yeah, but at the time no reasonable person would have believed what happened was going to happen.

CONTEXTUAL MATERIAL ( Deep Dive Into Amy Coney Barrett) :

Direct Headline: Amy Coney Barrett’s Long Game

The newest Supreme Court Justice isn’t just another conservative—she’s the product of a Christian legal movement that is intent on remaking America....In 2006, Barrett signed her name to an ad declaring that it was “time to put an end to the barbaric legacy of Roe v. Wade.”

...A major reason for Nance’s optimism was the presence on the bench of Amy Coney Barrett, the former Notre Dame law professor and federal-court judge whom President Donald Trump had picked to replace Ruth Bader Ginsburg, who died on September 18, 2020. With the help of Mitch McConnell, the Senate Majority Leader, Trump had accelerated Barrett’s nomination process, and the Senate confirmed her just a week before the 2020 Presidential election..... As a candidate in the 2016 election, Trump had vowed to appoint Justices who would overturn Roe, and as President he had made it a priority to stock the judiciary with conservative judges—especially younger ones. .....Trump’s nominees to the federal courts of appeals—bodies that, like the Supreme Court, confer lifetime tenure—were the youngest of any President’s “since at least the beginning of the 20th century.” ....Trump made three Supreme Court appointments, and Neil Gorsuch (forty-nine when confirmed) and Brett Kavanaugh (fifty-three) were the youngest of the nine Justices until Barrett was sworn in, at the age of forty-eight. Her arrival gave the conservative wing of the Court a 6–3 supermajority.....

...Barrett has a hard-to-rattle temperament. A fitness enthusiast seemingly blessed with superhuman energy, she is rearing seven children with her husband, Jesse Barrett, a former prosecutor now in private practice.... told me that Barrett is “more embedded in the conservative Christian legal movement than any Justice we’ve ever had.” ...For decades, leading members of the Federalist Society and other conservative legal associations have vetted potential appellate judges and Justices and provided recommendations to Republican Presidents. The Federalist Society has traditionally showcased judges with records of high academic distinction, often at élite schools; service in Republican Administrations; originalist loyalties; and a record of decisions on the side of deregulation and corporations. Barrett hadn’t served in an Administration, and, unlike the other current Justices, she hadn’t attended an Ivy League law school. She went to Notre Dame, and returned there to teach. These divergences, though, ended up becoming points in her favor—especially at a time when religious activists were playing a more influential role in the conservative legal movement. Notre Dame, which is just outside South Bend, Indiana, is a Catholic institution in a deeply red state, and it’s one of the relatively few well-respected law schools where progressives do not abound. Barrett’s grounding in conservative Catholicism, and even her large family, began to seem like qualifications, too....

....In public appearances before her nomination, Barrett was pleasant, non-ideological, and disciplined to the point of blandness. Yet her background and her demeanor suggested to social conservatives that, if placed on the Court, she would deliver what they wanted, expanding gun rights and religious liberties, and dumping Roe.... According to the memoir, Barrett didn’t “miss a beat” during her first meeting with Trump, assuring him that she would follow the Constitution and that she could handle attacks from liberals. Meadows was struck by “her commitment to her faith and to conservative ideals.

....But many conservatives were eager to spotlight Barrett’s identity, because it suggested an imperviousness to public-opinion polls and the disapproval of coastal élites.... “..... Barrett is already a symbol of a certain kind of conservative feminist, a hero to that community the way R.B.G. was for liberal feminists....” ....Barrett’s personal views on abortion are no mystery. In 2006, she signed her name to a two-page ad, placed in the South Bend Tribune by the group St. Joseph County Right to Life, that defended “the right to life from fertilization to natural death” and declared that it was “time to put an end to the barbaric legacy of Roe v. Wade and restore laws that protect the lives of unborn children.” In 2015, she signed an open letter to Catholic bishops affirming the Church’s traditional teachings on gender roles, divorce, and the sanctity of life. She was a member of the Notre Dame Chapter of University Faculty for Life, which, in 2016, unanimously voted to condemn Notre Dame’s decision to award then Vice-President Joe Biden a medal for “outstanding service to Church and society.” The honor was “a scandalous violation of the University’s moral responsibility,” the group said, because Biden, a Catholic, supports the right to abortion. “Saying that Mr. Biden rejects Church teaching could make it sound like he is merely disobeying the rules of his religious group. But the Church’s teaching about the sanctity of life is true.....”

.....An originalist reading is still an act of interpretation, not a chemical test in which a jurist applies a formula and the answer pops up. Legal methodology and political ideology are not easy to disentangle—they often come in a package. Most originalists are conservatives, and most conservative jurists and legal scholars are originalists. The approach, with its faithfulness to the literal meaning of a legal text, has a fundamentalist cast, and its fealty to the Founding Fathers has an old-school patriotic gleam.....

Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health probably wouldn’t have made it to the Court in its present form if Barrett hadn’t been there....In the end, no matter what.... “she’s the center of the story—either she’s the woman who voted to overturn Roe v. Wade, or she doesn’t, and then one round of stories is ‘Man, the conservatives can never win. They handpicked her for this and still couldn’t get it done.’ ”... She has lectured at the Blackstone Legal Fellowship, a training program for Christian law students run by Alliance Defending Freedom, which regularly represents plaintiffs who claim that their religious liberties have been violated by antidiscrimination laws....Moreover, as a conservative Catholic, Barrett has been steeped in natural-law teachings—among them, that contraception and same-sex relations are unnatural and therefore immoral....

...Gorsuch, Kavanaugh, and Barrett, having been “reared in the modern conservative legal movement,” are likely more attuned to concerns that they will undermine that movement by upholding Roe....they’re all associated with the Federalist Society—“they care about rigorous methods of interpretation that could get blown up . . . in a world where originalism is discredited and common-good constitutionalism is the most attractive mode of thinking.”

....Amy Coney was born in 1972 and grew up in Metairie, a mostly white, Republican-leaning suburb of New Orleans. Her father, Mike, was a lawyer for Shell Oil; her mother, Linda, was a high-school French teacher turned homemaker. They had seven children—six girls and a boy—and Amy was the oldest. The Coneys were Catholic but belonged to a group called People of Praise, a close-knit faith community with a charismatic flavor that would have been more familiar to born-again Christians than to most cradle Catholics. In 2018, Mike Coney wrote an essay for his church’s Web site explaining that People of Praise is a covenant community, meaning that members “promise to share life together and to look out for each other in all things material and spiritual.” In South Bend, some of Barrett’s children attended the Trinity School, which was established by members of People of Praise; for nearly three years, she sat on the board of Trinity, which also has campuses in Falls Church, Virginia, and in Eagan, Minnesota. ....“Men and women separately meet weekly in small faith groups,” ....The group’s teachings stress the God-given complementarity of males and females. The Trinity School’s Web site states, “We understand marriage to be a legal and committed relationship between a man and a woman and believe that the only proper place for sexual activity is within these bounds of conjugal love.....”

....Barrett attended St. Mary’s Dominican High School, an all-girls school in New Orleans. She has described the single-sex atmosphere as “freeing,” noting, “I formed really close friendships. We could be very competitive with one another academically.” At Rhodes College, a liberal-arts school in Memphis that gave her a generous scholarship, she majored in English.....Barrett served on the Honor Council, whose members have the power to suspend or expel their peers for cheating, lying, or stealing. In 1994, Barrett spoke to a campus magazine about the “heavy responsibility” that came with being a council member: “You have the power to affect someone’s life. You want to be absolutely sure you’re doing the right thing by that person....”

....When Barrett decided to attend law school, Notre Dame was the obvious choice. “I’m a Catholic, and I always grew up loving Notre Dame....What Catholic doesn’t?” In “Separate but Faithful,” a book about the conservative Christian legal movement, Amanda Hollis-Brusky and Joshua C. Wilson write that Notre Dame is “arguably the nation’s elite conservative law school.” An unnamed Notre Dame faculty member told them, “It’s kind of like the Federalist Society distilled, in the sense of that’s the place you go for your judges, and this is where you go for your clerks.....”

.....Barrett was the executive editor of the law review, got stellar grades, embraced originalism, and caught the notice of professors with connections to the Federalist Society and the Republican Party. She also met Jesse, who had grown up in South Bend and attended Notre Dame as an undergraduate, and was two years behind her at the law school. When she graduated, she clerked for Laurence Silberman, an appellate judge on the D.C. Circuit who’d been appointed by Reagan, and then for the biggest, baddest originalist of them all, Scalia. The Justice was known for provoking his clerks to argue back—he liked “going toe-to-toe,” as Barrett has recalled. The term she clerked for Scalia, 1998-99, was a quiet one......Barrett was hardworking and well liked. Wexler, who is now a law professor at Boston University, nicknamed her the Conenator—because she was a powerhouse but also because it seemed funny, given her graciousness....

In 2017, all of Barrett’s fellow-clerks who were still alive—thirty-four people—signed a letter supporting Trump’s nomination of her to the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals, praising “her conscientious work ethic, her respect for the law, and her remarkable legal abilities....If you look at élite lawyers, and you set aside the libertarians, how many religious conservatives are there who graduate from top-twenty-five-ish law schools—who are former Supreme Court clerks, who are women? Very, very few.....”

.... in Barrett’s three years on the appeals court she showed “a high rate of ruling for conservative outcomes in all types of decisions.” Her opinions were also largely “pro-business.” Barrett was involved with three abortion-related cases on the Seventh Circuit. In 2018, she was one of five judges who wanted to review a decision, made by a three-judge panel, that had struck down an Indiana law requiring fetal remains to be cremated or buried. In 2019, Barrett voted in favor of rehearing another overturned Indiana law—one requiring minors to get parental permission before an abortion. In the third case, also in 2019, she voted to permit a Chicago ordinance that kept anti-abortion protesters—or “sidewalk counsellors,” as they call themselves—at a distance from clinics.....

By Margaret Talbot February 7, 2022

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2022/02/14/amy-coney-barretts-long-game

Of course.  :coffee:

And Gordon, you don't need 18 paragraphs of supporting links...progressives like myself were saying that while she was still alive and I did so in several threads (although how I find those quotes now, I have no idea). 

Probably.

Honestly, the lifetime appointment for Supreme Court justices is by far the biggest problem with the system. It’s not fair to either side. Should someone really be one of the most powerful people in the country for possibly 40 plus years?
Imo, give them 10 year terms or something at the max. 

If she wanted to retire (even just in hindsight), she should have. If she didn't want to, she shouldn't have.

I suspect that, in hindsight, she'd have wanted to.

If she wanted to retire (even just in hindsight), she should have. If she didn't want to, she shouldn't have.

She didn't want to and held on to the bitter end in the misguided and naive belief that her wishes to replace her with a progressive justice would be honored.

She was nearing the end and even the most extreme optimists knew it. 

Sadly this will be her legacy and not the decades of her judicial opinions.  :no:

This. I would generally like to see the SC Justices retire at younger ages that is just me. 
Not just you. I mean come on, she could barely stay awake. Guaranteed she had her helper turn off the camera for  zzzzzzzzzoom meetings. 

She probably should have retired when Clinton was president. 

(And yes I know who nominated her)

Not just you. I mean come on, she could barely stay awake. Guaranteed she had her helper turn off the camera for  zzzzzzzzzoom meetings. 
I meant more just me in the sense that the law is the law and I guess it was kept open ended for a reason. Wise men chose this for a reason.

That said, mental facilities do decline. We all know this. I don't know what the age is and it's not the same for everyone but it would be nice if people were more capable of acknowledging when they were no longer capable of certain duties. Though I suppose, at it's core, there is little difference between this and old people who don't want to give up their driver's license or move to a retirement home. 

How can I or anyone find a link to confirm or deny it? But Tim and the usual suspects should be able to verify that if their memories are good.
Yes I recall you and others wanting her to retire. Not me, though. It never occurred to me at the time. 
I was always one of those liberals who took the right to an abortion for granted. The SC was never a primary issue for me. Even after Coney Barrett was appointed, I still never thought they’d actually overturn Roe. Boy was I wrong. 

Yes I recall you and others wanting her to retire. Not me, though. It never occurred to me at the time. 

I was always one of those liberals who took the right to an abortion for granted. The SC was never a primary issue for me. Even after Coney Barrett was appointed, I still never thought they’d actually overturn Roe. Boy was I wrong. 

Thank you. 

How can I or anyone find a link to confirm or deny it? But Tim and the usual suspects should be able to verify that if their memories are good.

This is hilarious on so many levels.  :lol:

You were literally the guy demanding "links or it didn't happen" about you saying that LGBTQ had no civil rights when everybody corroborated it.  :doh:

You better believe I'm bookmarking this.  :thumbup:

This is going to come up 100% of the time....EVERY time.

... progressives like myself were saying that while she was still alive and I did so in several threads (although how I find those quotes now, I have no idea). 
Tangent:

You can Google Footballguys forum content just fine. If you know you've posted stuff about Ruth Bader Ginsburg in the Politics Forum in the past, you would Google something like [footballguys, "politics forum", squistion, "ruth bader ginsburg", retire]. Change around or add/remove some keywords until you find what you're looking for.

Of course, the FBG forums also have an internal search tool. It can be a little ticky with the "ANY terms" vs "ALL terms" distinction, so often it's easier to just Google.

Tangent:

You can Google Footballguys forum content just fine. If you know you've posted stuff about Ruth Bader Ginsburg in the Politics Forum in the past, you would Google something like [footballguys, "politics forum", squistion, "ruth bader ginsburg", retire]. Change around or add/remove some keywords until you find what you're looking for.

Of course, the FBG forums also have an internal search tool. It can be a little ticky with the "ANY terms" vs "ALL terms" distinction, so often it's easier to just Google.
Lol. 

Oddly only this thread appears. 

This is hilarious on so many levels.  

You were literally the guy demanding "links or it didn't happen" about you saying that LGBTQ had no civil rights when everybody corroborated it.  

You better believe I'm bookmarking this.  

This is going to come up 100% of the time....EVERY time.

LIAR! I never said that. Prove me wrong with a link just once which you have never done.

I meant more just me in the sense that the law is the law and I guess it was kept open ended for a reason. Wise men chose this for a reason.

That said, mental facilities do decline. We all know this. I don't know what the age is and it's not the same for everyone but it would be nice if people were more capable of acknowledging when they were no longer capable of certain duties. Though I suppose, at it's core, there is little difference between this and old people who don't want to give up their driver's license or move to a retirement home. 
Yup. I would definitely vote yes on an age cap for almost all political positions, including Justices and President.

She didn't want to and held on to the bitter end in the misguided and naive belief that her wishes to replace her with a progressive justice would be honored.

She was nearing the end and even the most extreme optimists knew it. 

Sadly this will be her legacy and not the decades of her judicial opinions.  :no:

Pelosi is older now than Ruth was back then and showing her years.  Sometimes people hang on too long and it taints peoples views of them.

Pelosi is older now than Ruth was back then and showing her years.  Sometimes people hang on too long and it taints peoples views of them.
I haven’t seen any decline at all in Pelosi. But…one way or another her time is coming to an end. If, as most people expect, the Republicans take control of the House, Pelosi will not be Soeaker whenever the Dems regain power. If the Democrats manage somehow to keep the House, Pelosi won’t be Speaker very long, Either way, we’re witnessing the end of her long and illustrious career. I believe that, even more then Sam Rayburn, she will come to be regarded by history as the greatest Speaker we’ve ever had. 

Agreed.  Just like with Pelosi or Biden, who are we to tell anyone when they should retire? 

I strongly disagree with what the SC did last week, but if you are on the Supreme Court, you have earned the right to retire on your own terms. 

I haven’t seen any decline at all in Pelosi. But…one way or another her time is coming to an end. If, as most people expect, the Republicans take control of the House, Pelosi will not be Soeaker whenever the Dems regain power. If the Democrats manage somehow to keep the House, Pelosi won’t be Speaker very long, Either way, we’re witnessing the end of her long and illustrious career. I believe that, even more then Sam Rayburn, she will come to be regarded by history as the greatest Speaker we’ve ever had. 

Tim, you still think Biden is at the top of his game too so I will take that with a grain of salt.

Nor have I.

I think she is right up there as one of the most divisive politicians in the past 50 years...there are others like Trump but for true longevity she is right near the top of the list...when you look at today's dumpster fire, she is one of the main culprits...America's version of Marie Antoniette.

Tangent:

Even with all that I might never find it, particularly since I don't remember the thread it was in or the exact words I used. Also, I may not have mentioned RBG by name (if I was responding to another post). And, of course, if the thread was nuked by the mods (like Dodds did with the original Hillary thread in the FFA) then it can't be found by anyone. 

The point is moot, however, because Tim verified that I did say something to that effect. 

Even with all that I might never find it, particularly since I don't remember the thread it was in or the exact words I used. Also, I may not have mentioned RBG by name (if I was responding to another post). And, of course, if the thread was nuked by the mods (like Dodds did with the original Hillary thread in the FFA) then it can't be found by anyone. 

The point is moot, however, because Tim verified that I did say something to that effect. 

Oh no you don't.  You don't get to keep lying.

Links please - YOUR STANDARD. 

Oh no you don't.  You don't get to keep lying.

Links please - YOUR STANDARD. 

So you are calling @timschocheta liar too? He confirmed I said it (although why anyone would doubt that seems a bit odd since it was not considered a particularly controversial stance around here for a progressive to take).

And I can't provide a link if the thread was nuked (nor could anyone else). 

So you are calling @timschocheta liar too? He confirmed I said it (although why anyone would doubt that seems a bit odd since it was not considered a particularly controversial stance around here for a progressive to take).

And I can't provide a link if the thread was nuked (nor could anyone else). 

Multiple people CONFIRMED you said that the LGBTQ had no civil rights.   Remember that back and forth with everyone?

Yeah, you're the same guy who told people to stop lying and demanded links or it didn't happen.  Except now here you are singing a completely different tune when it's convenient.

Yes. She should have retired. Good thread topic.

The analysis about Obama is also pretty spot on. He was too lackadaisical and trusting of the status quo, and his complacency is proving to be costly for those who would have like to see these rights codified. 

Multiple people CONFIRMED you said that the LGBTQ had no civil rights.   Remember that back and forth with everyone?

Yeah, you're the same guy who told people to stop lying and demanded links or it didn't happen.  Except now here you are singing a completely different tune when it's convenient.

No, not exactly, that isn't entirely correct.

What they confirmed is the Straw Man mischaracterization you made of what I actually said (which is why no one has ever been able to provide a link because it doesn't exist). The problem is that you shot yourself in the foot with this distortion of my words to the point that you have never been able to provide a link either, which is delicious karma. 😃

But I've had enough of talking today about what I said or didn't say about LGBT+ rights, so let's return to the thread topic of whether or not RBG should have retired.  :yes:

No, not exactly, that isn't entirely correct.

What they confirmed is the Straw Man mischaracterization you made of what I actually said (which is why no one has ever been able to provide a link because it doesn't exist). The problem is that you shot yourself in the foot with this distortion of my words to the point that you have never been able to provide a link either, which is delicious karma. 😃

But I've had enough of talking today about what I said or didn't say about LGBT+ rights, so let's return to the thread topic of whether or not RBG should have retired.  :yes:

Ahhh....revisionist history at it's finest.  You certainly are a master.  But that's not how any of it went down.  It was @IvanKaramazov, not me, who initially brought it to your attention.  I'm simply one of a number of guys who followed after he did to reinforce Ivan's point.

And yet here you are expecting people to believe despite no links existing but supposedly have a poster who can corroborate from memory.  Sound familiar?   :doh:

All I'm pointing out is that you are using the EXACT SAME process in here that you refused others for.

Thanks for the edited version. 

"I would not look to the U.S. Constitution if I were drafting a constitution in 2012." - Ruth Bader Ginsburg

"There are some women I definitely would not want to succeed me..."  - Ruth Bader Ginsburg

"A judge sworn to decide impartially can offer no forecasts, no hints, for that would show not only disregard for the specifics of the particular case, it would display disdain for the entire judicial process." - Ruth Bader Ginsburg

Direct Headline: Justice Kagan warns U.S. Supreme Court must maintain public confidence

Liberal Justice Elena Kagan said on Thursday that it would be a "dangerous thing for a democracy" if the conservative-majority U.S. Supreme Court loses the confidence of the American public....."I'm not talking about any particular decision or even any particular series of decisions, but if over time the court loses all connection with the public and with public sentiment, that's a dangerous thing for a democracy...."

....She said there have been times in history when the court has been "unconstrained and undisciplined" when justices "really just attempted to basically enact their own policy or political or social preferences" and said the current justices should guard against that.....Kagan also said justices have to be consistent when implementing their judicial philosophies and cannot abandon that approach when it will not result in their preferred outcome....

By Dan Levine July 21, 2022

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/justice-kagan-warns-us-supreme-court-must-maintain-public-confidence-2022-07-21/

"Public sentiment"?

Elena Kagan is a disgrace who was never a judge before SCOTUS and spent time working as a hatchet in the Clinton Administration. Yet another Obama legacy that helped to crush this nation into the dirt.  Part of the enduring legacy of RBG is she might be the last truly beloved female SCOTUS Justice in our lifetimes. Amy Coney Barrett is reviled by a large cross section of the country now. Brown Jackson is seen by many as a pedophile apologist. I deeply question if Sotomayor actually understands basic fundamental law. And of course, Kagan, the wannabe scribe who acts like her dissents are proxy scripts for Kevin Feige and the MCU Phase 7.

What does Kagan want? To avoid the law and jurisprudence for Likes, Shares and Subscribes?

So no, I don't think RBG should have retired. She owed a retirement to no one.

If the point of SCOTUS is to be non partisan, how can some of the radical leftists in here denounce her entire body of work and her career for not making a clearly partisan based retirement?

I wonder what RBG would think of Kagan's disturbing take on needing to account for public sentiment in rulings to protect democracy. What's that? Appealing to the activist complicit MSM spin? Shock marketing clickbait Social Media outrage porn? The loudest voices who are trying to calculate out their individual branding?

SMDH

If the point of SCOTUS is to be non partisan, how can some of the radical leftists in here denounce her entire body of work and her career for not making a clearly partisan based retirement?
Two points:

I have never heard people on the left “denounce her entire body of work”. I suspect this isn’t real by any significant number of liberals.

Obviously the point of SCOTUS isn’t to be non partisan to those who nominate and confirm justices (with a few exceptions). This is actually a big part of the problem with SCOTUS. 

Two points:

I have never heard people on the left “denounce her entire body of work”. I suspect this isn’t real by any significant number of liberals.

Obviously the point of SCOTUS isn’t to be non partisan to those who nominate and confirm justices (with a few exceptions). This is actually a big part of the problem with SCOTUS. 
I have read repeatedly that people say "this is her legacy"  i bet you cab even find it on this forum.

So while thats not the exact same thing as denouncing her entire body of work, it is close enough that quibbling over that is just arguing for the sake of arguing. 

I have read repeatedly that people say "this is her legacy"  i bet you cab even find it on this forum.

So while thats not the exact same thing as denouncing her entire body of work, it is close enough that quibbling over that is just arguing for the sake of arguing. 
Thanks for explaining. That makes more sense.

Regarding your second paragraph, unfortunately, misrepresenting positions and quibbling is a large part of what we do here.

Did you know Republican Senate has never confirmed a Democratically nominated Justice? Ever. Democrats have foolishly confirmed Republicans several times including current justices. Only one side is playing fair. The other is just chasing power. ****ers.

Did you know Republican Senate has never confirmed a Democratically nominated Justice? Ever. Democrats have foolishly confirmed Republicans several times including current justices. Only one side is playing fair. The other is just chasing power. ****ers.

Well, the last one didn't even know what a woman was so I guess maybe I can't blame them.

However, not even sure if what you're saying is true.

Users who are viewing this thread