What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Protests Over SCOTUS Decision To Overturn Roe v. Wade Thread (1 Viewer)

squistion

Footballguy
Protests have been peaceful so far - hope that lasts.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2022/06/24/supreme-court-abortion-protests-roe/

Protests erupt in D.C., around the country as Roe v. Wade falls

The historic overturning of Roe v. Wade met with an outpouring of joy and rage on Friday, as street demonstrations that began outside the Supreme Court after the decades-old guarantee of abortion access was struck down spread through the nation’s capital and to cities across the United States.

Thousands of abortion rights supporters gathered in downtown Washington to assail the court’s ruling in Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization, as other marches to protest the decision unfolded in cities including New York, Chicago, Nashville, San Francisco and Los Angeles. After the leak of a draft of the opinion last month, few were surprised. But many were still in shock.

The scene outside the court in the immediate wake of the Dobbs ruling captured Americans’ wildly divergent reactions to a watershed moment in one of the nation’s bitterest debates. Antiabortion activists brimmed with joy at a long-sought legal victory while supporters of abortion rights voiced fury and despair.

[...]

Protests in Phoenix resulted in property damage, vandalism, etc, so much for them being peaceful.  The police had to use tear gas to break up the mob.

Protests in Phoenix resulted in property damage, vandalism, etc, so much for them being peaceful.  The police had to use tear gas to break up the mob.

I saw the video of that, I wouldn't characterize it as a "mob" that had to be broken up - and the tear gas seemed an overreaction given that it was just ONE person beating on the door during an otherwise completely peaceful protest.

I saw the video of that, I wouldn't characterize it as a "mob" that had to be broken up - and the tear gas seemed an overreaction given that it was just ONE person beating on the door during an otherwise completely peaceful protest.

A master class in Excuse MakingTM right here folks.  :thumbup:

We should all just marvel at the ease at which it is done.

Did any police officers yell something scary like "where is she" A couple blocks down the street? Just need to know how terrifying this was. 
Don't know. The Arizona lawmakers were "terrified". They had first hand accounts of the incident. I suppose we should dismiss their view of it??

I’m sure this is the thread that will bring both sides of our PSF together in shared agreement and opinion.  No way this devolves into slap fighting and gotcha’s.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m sure this is the thread that will bring both sides of our PSF together in shared agreement and opinion.  No way this doesn’t devolve into slap fighting and gotcha’s.

That was not the intent or an expectation. However, I felt an individual thread was needed that was devoted the actual protests that will take place in the coming weeks and perhaps months. 

That was not the intent or an expectation. However, I felt an individual thread was needed that was devoted the actual protests that will take place in the coming weeks and perhaps months. 
As someone who’s been here a long time the bolded is some serious blinders.  

This doesn't seem all that hard. If there were people attacking the Arizona Capitol then they should be arrested and treated the exact same as the people that attacked the Capitol on Jan 6. Violence is not acceptable in either situation.

This doesn't seem all that hard. If there were people attacking the Arizona Capitol then they should be arrested and treated the exact same as the people that attacked the Capitol on Jan 6. Violence is not acceptable in either situation.
I’m sure everyone in here will agree with this.

You'd think that right?? But we have a couple of particular posters who absolve team blue of all wrong doing.

Anyone who broke the law while protecting should be prosecuted.  Period.  Anyone who disrupted any legislative proceeding should be prosecuted.

This wasn't ok in summer of 2020, it wasn't ok Jan 6 and it's not OK now.

Anyone who broke the law while protecting should be prosecuted.  Period.  Anyone who disrupted any legislative proceeding should be prosecuted.

This wasn't ok in summer of 2020, it wasn't ok Jan 6 and it's not OK now.
Really not sure why this is a hard concept to grasps.  IMO there is no good reason to riot, loot or burn.  Not a social cause, not politics and not your team winning the Stanley Cup.  

History has taught us that the willingness of certain people to allow their passions overwhelm them, and commit violence for a cause, is not predominantly a conservative or liberal trait. It is, unfortunately a human trait. 

Thankfully, most of us don’t fall into this category. But a lot of us here DO fall into the category of finding defenses for “our side” while condemning the other side, or at least making the argument that the other side is hypocritical (which they are, by the way, and it doesn’t matter which other side you’re referring to.) 

All acts of deliberate violence are reprehensible and deserve to be punished by the law. There are no what abouts, no extenuating circumstances. 

It's pretty rough around here for the even-handed conservatives they simply want to have some healthy back and forth. 

It's obvious you're not aware of the complete irony of your post.

You should probably sit this one out.  In fact, you should sit ALL of them out. 

It wasn't a hostage situation.  :lol:
This is a sad response to a violent situation.  Who knows what would of happen if the police had not responded so quickly. It could of turned into a 1/6 event or worst as the mob grew.  Events like this should not be treated as being funny, but met with quick and resounding measures.  Too many copycats will show up if these type of riots are not taken seriously!

This is a sad response to a violent situation.  Who knows what would of happen if the police had not responded so quickly. It could of turned into a 1/6 event or worst as the mob grew.  Events like this should not be treated as being funny, but met with quick and resounding measures.  Too many copycats will show up if these type of riots are not taken seriously!

If you remember correctly, this is exactly what the drama queens said about 1/6 too AND THEY WERE SERIOUS!!

Well, lo and behold, we have a damn near carbon-copy of the same situation with the roles reversed and, of course, here they are pooh-poohing it, making light and excuses because of course they are.  They are who we thought they were.

I said that was not an expectation...so how is that "some serious blinders"?
How you could not expect it with knowing full well how people here fall/react in regards to this topic is blinders.  But be that as it may I will be belaboring the point any longer.  

If you remember correctly, this is exactly what the drama queens said about 1/6 too AND THEY WERE SERIOUS!!

Well, lo and behold, we have a damn near carbon-copy of the same situation with the roles reversed and, of course, here they are pooh-poohing it, making light and excuses because of course they are.  They are who we thought they were.
They are?

Not really a carbon copy.  Pretty far from it.  Then again, I haven’t been paying as close of attention as some others.  It’s possible that Biden called on these protestors to storm the AZ Capitol building.  It’s also possible that people were carrying weapons.  And that windows to the Capitol building were broken and protestors took control of the building.  I don’t really pay attention to the media, particularly “real time.”  So if all that stuff happened here, my bad.

All that said, protestors who behave violently or break the law should be arrested.  Plain and simple.

Not really a carbon copy.  Pretty far from it.  Then again, I haven’t been paying as close of attention as some others.  It’s possible that Biden called on these protestors to storm the AZ Capitol building.  It’s also possible that people were carrying weapons.  And that windows to the Capitol building were broken and protestors took control of the building.  I don’t really pay attention to the media, particularly “real time.”  So if all that stuff happened here, my bad.

All that said, protestors who behave violently or break the law should be arrested.  Plain and simple.

Well, from a "storming the Capital" sense it's a carbon copy.  The motivators are just different.

But, per the bolded, I agree.  We just need to enforce that all of the time, not only when it's people we disagree with.

Imo it will last a few days at most. Few people really care about this deeply.  Probably because deep down it feels wrong to protest the ruling.

And some posters on this board said no violence would occur from protests, etc.

Violence was not expected from the protesters themselves and there hasn't been so far (knock on wood). Some jerk trying to run them over in his truck doesn't count as an act of violence by those participating in the protests. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, from a "storming the Capital" sense it's a carbon copy.  The motivators are just different.

But, per the bolded, I agree.  We just need to enforce that all of the time, not only when it's people we disagree with.
I also don’t think we should belittle attempts to hold people, especially leaders, accountable for their actions by calling them dog and pony shows when events like this happen. It’s ok to support something even if you’re frustrated the same accountability didn’t happen somewhere else it should have.  

Probably because deep down it feels wrong to protest the ruling.
Ah, no. Is it really hard to believe there are people on the other side of the spectrum that believe what they believe as passionately as you do.  

I also don’t think we should belittle attempts to hold people, especially leaders, accountable for their actions by calling them dog and pony shows when events like this happen. It’s ok to support something even if you’re frustrated the same accountability didn’t happen somewhere else it should have.  

Whose doing that?  :whistle:

Outrageous, I say!!!!!  

Users who are viewing this thread