What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will you get a Covid vaccine when available? (5 Viewers)

Will you get a Covid vaccine when available?

• Yes, as soon as it comes out

Votes: 236 55.4%
  • Yes, but not for a while until some time passes

Votes: 93 21.8%
  • No, I don't think it will be safe

Votes: 19 4.5%
  • No, I don't think it will be effective

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • No, I already had Covid

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Unsure, but leaning yes

Votes: 32 7.5%
  • Unsure, but leaning no

Votes: 28 6.6%

• Total voters
we get an alert, about every other week, that someone at school has contracted covid.  they don't say who it is, but the assumption, is that it's a kid.   :shrug:  

eta:  high school
We get COVID alerts much more often than that ... typically one to three times per week. Also still have teachers disappearing now and then.

Millions of infect of fully vaccinated adults?
The way things look right this second ... the U.S. will struggle to get as many as 2 in 3 adults vaccinated. I wouldn't dismissively thing of "American adults" as an entirely-vaccinated class of people. Spitballing ... at this time next year, there's likely to be something like 60-70 million unvaccinated adults in the U.S. Even if half of them change their minds and come around ... still looking at north of 30 million unvaccinated adults.

The way things look right this second ... the U.S. will struggle to get as many as 2 in 3 adults vaccinated. I wouldn't dismissively thing of "American adults" as an entirely-vaccinated class of people. Spitballing ... at this time next year, there's likely to be something like 60-70 million unvaccinated adults in the U.S. Even if half of them change their minds and come around ... still looking at north of 30 million unvaccinated adults.
Unvaccinated adults BY CHOICE? Thats on them. I couldnt care less about protecting them.

Newsflash: this thing is going linger indefinitely no matter what.
What do you mean by "linger indefinitely"?

It's OK if COVID doesn't disappear 100% -- in fact, this is not expected and no one is planning to make this happen. But we should move heaven and earth to make it as minimal a public health problem as humanly possible. Sure, mumps, rubella, etc. are still "lingering", but they've been well minimized.

Unvaccinated adults BY CHOICE? That's on them. I couldn't care less about protecting them.
When it gets down to a low enough number of unvaccinated ... sure. But not yet. Besides, even a year from now, there will be a significant percentage (spitballing: 10-15%) of American adults who want the vaccine but weren't able to get it for one reason or another. People will fall through the cracks and they will do so in numbers.

Generally, the idea is to eliminate as many vectors among the population as possible -- regardless of individual COVID risk to each individual vector.

Yesterday was a little rough after getting Pfizer #2 on Monday.  However today I seem to be feeling much better.  

One notable side effect.  My lymph node under my left arm, same arm I got the shot in, is very swollen and tender.  I didn't notice it until putting on deo this morning.  That kinda smarted.  According to my google skills this is a normal side effect and I should let my doctors know if I go for a mammogram soon.  
Happened to my wife as well.

Unvaccinated adults BY CHOICE? Thats on them. I couldnt care less about protecting them.
Well, you should.  It has a direct impact on the functioning of the economy.  We cannot force a vaccine on people that don't want it, but we can encourage parents to get their children vaccinated. 

There's also been over 2000 cases of MIS-C.  It's not an entirely benign illness for all kids.  Not to mention the uncertainty of long term problems that we still don't know about.
This. I do not want to shackle my kids with long term chronic health issues.

Very happy about the 12-15 year old trial news today. My youngest will be 12 in May. I was hearing potential September time frame for shots. Hope it's a little sooner as school starts up here early in AZ the last week of July. After being online for the last year will be nice to send them back in person but would feel alot better if they can get the shots ahead of time.

where do you get that 50% number?  every nurse/dr i know, has already been vaccinated.  small sample size, but all of them got it right away.  
Link

Someone else linked to an article about it in one of the threads recently. I scoffed as well. The good news is that it seems like a higher percentage of hospital workers have, but lower rates have in doctors’ offices and in home healthcare workers.

Not sure which anti-American group started this baseless lie on social media, but its caused immeasurable damage.  :thumbdown:
I bet there’s a decent overlap between folks that are buying into and spreading this and folks who scoff at the recent news that pollution may be significantly lowering healthy sperm counts and shrinking male genitals.

This is for any of you who got or will be getting your vaccine from Walgreen’s. I noticed when I scheduled the first injection that the second scheduled injection was four weeks later. I assumed  I was getting the Moderna vaccine. I was wrong. Evidently when the Walgreen’s COVID vaccine appointment module was stood up, they were unsure as to which 2 dose vaccine they would be receiving so they used the four week Moderna schedule as the default. To date, the module has not been changed as they are using the Phizer vaccine. The 28 days is well within the 42 days for Phizer so it’s no big deal, but I just wanted to pass this along in case any of you had a wtf moment like I did regarding this. 

When it gets down to a low enough number of unvaccinated ... sure. But not yet. Besides, even a year from now, there will be a significant percentage (spitballing: 10-15%) of American adults who want the vaccine but weren't able to get it for one reason or another. People will fall through the cracks and they will do so in numbers.

Generally, the idea is to eliminate as many vectors among the population as possible -- regardless of individual COVID risk to each individual vector.
There is no way a significant percentage of American adults who will want to get the vaccine but will be unable by this time next year short of pure apathy on their part in doing so.  If they make any effort at all they will be able to get the vaccine.  I can't imagine even 1% who want it and actively pursue it will be unable to get it in a year.  I actually think by end of summer there is going to be hundreds of thousands of unused doses that go to waste.

All that being said, I really appreciate your posts and have since this thing started way back when.

There is no way a significant percentage of American adults who will want to get the vaccine but will be unable by this time next year short of pure apathy on their part in doing so.  If they make any effort at all they will be able to get the vaccine.  I can't imagine even 1% who want it and actively pursue it will be unable to get it in a year.  I actually think by end of summer there is going to be hundreds of thousands of unused doses that go to waste.
:goodposting:

Link

Someone else linked to an article about it in one of the threads recently. I scoffed as well. The good news is that it seems like a higher percentage of hospital workers have, but lower rates have in doctors’ offices and in home healthcare workers.
I guess I should consider the receptionist at my GP, a front line Heath worker. But I don’t.  😬

that stat makes sense if you include everyone that works in any form of healthcare.  I was referring to people that work in hospitals. 

All that being said, I really appreciate your posts and have since this thing started way back when.
I think you underestimate the impact poverty has in this country.  Maybe if employers allow people to get the vaccine on company time and get paid for it, that could help low-wage workers.  We also will need many more mobile clinics in certain urban neighborhoods and rural areas.

So, Pennsylvania, who is still in "1A" is now moving their eligibility for vaccines at light-speed.  They already made J&J available to all teachers.  

Now "1A" is being expanded effective today to include law enforcement, firefighters, grocery store workers, and food and agriculture workers.

"1B" will be eligible April 5

"1C" will be eligible April 12

And everyone will be April 19.

I assume this means eligible to schedule your appointment.  I feel like Gov. Wolf is just throwing dates out there to make it look good, but PA's supply and distribution will make this a disaster to schedule this aggressively.  
That’s great news, although it’s hard enough to find appointments now for just 1A.  Full opening is going to be a free-for-all.

I get Pfizer #2 in 9 days, glad to have it behind me before this opens up

boy, it's easy to tell who understands how goods and services are transported from one location to another and those who don't

yup - there is some percentage of the population that will not get vaccinated - anti-vaxxers, religious exemptions, people with medical conditions that prevent the vaccine, but also the population that simply falls through the cracks for various reasons - the homeless, migrant workers, etc.
I work with a guy who won't get it. He is married with 3 teenage sons. I'm sure they won't get it either.

Breastfeeding wife and I get our 1st Pfizer tomorrow morning...we can’t find anything to concern us about her and our healthy 15-mo-old son, only positive studies. But hard to get anything past this group...are we missing anything?

Breastfeeding wife and I get our 1st Pfizer tomorrow morning...we can’t find anything to concern us about her and our healthy 15-mo-old son, only positive studies. But hard to get anything past this group...are we missing anything?
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100053149454347

She just posted a new article on this subject.

Your local epidemiologist.... who just happened to grow up three houses from us 25 years ago.  She has 200K followers.  Great articles w/o any political BS.

Ditto.  1pm.  Can’t wait.  Heard that the location is giving Pfizer, but really don’t care which it is.
Ditto x2. Tired of the rat race in the Minneapolis metro so I was ecstatic when the wife found a distribution event up in the rural north, about 30 minutes from our cabin. Scheduled for 2 PM. It’s moderna - fine by me as I was hoping for either that or Pfizer. Can’t really imagine what it will be like actually rounding a bend on this thing.

Got shot one of Pfizer today in an abandoned Best Buy off the Hudson. Slick operation. Was in and out in 30 minutes with the watch period. Arm hurts but so far so good. 
Arm starting getting sore last night after shot one, but not too bad and way better than post-tetanus shot arm. 

Just booked an appointment for J&J next week. Was surprised I had the option to choose which vaccine to receive, since they just opened up my state to 16+. Went with the one and done for the convenience, but probably should have done a little research before making the decision.

First dose of Moderna is done.  On the negative side, arm is a bit sore, woke me up a few times the second night when I rolled on to it.  On the positive side, the microchip allows me to skip logging in to Windows based PC's, so no more remembering my password at work.

Just booked an appointment for J&J next week. Was surprised I had the option to choose which vaccine to receive, since they just opened up my state to 16+. Went with the one and done for the convenience, but probably should have done a little research before making the decision.
Haven't been able to choose much here in Ohio. The local county health department has clinics set up, but you get when they have. No choice. They DO list what each site has, but most have been Moderna or Phizer. I've been looking for a J&J one to sign my wife up for. She is reluctant to do Moderna or Phizer but willing to do the J&J. 

I don't think going for J&J is a bad decision. Getting something is better than nothing and you really can't go by the efficiency differences between the shots as they were tested at different times in different parts of the world. J&J had some variants running around with their testing that Moderna and Phizer didn't. When it is all said and done they might all be just as effective in preventing infection. I think they were all similar in preventing death. Which, you know is kind of the worst outcome.

First day of eligibility in CA for 50+. Got up at midnight to see if I could get anything scheduled. Found out first issue was sites not updating to the new eligibility yet (should have seen that coming). Got back up at 4 AM and got my wife scheduled for Pfizer 1st and 2nd doses at CVS. By the time I finished the remaining appointments were gone.  Only thing left in the area appears to be Pfizer at one WalMart but alas they still have not updated their eligibility rules yet. Going to stay focused on their website trying to hit it when it opens up  Could possibly get my vaccine today (if I can time this right).

UPDATE: I am now signed up for Pfizer on Saturday at WalMart.  Wife's is on Monday.

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife and I both got Pfizer #1 at CVS yesterday. As previously reported, I was able to snag an appointment at 4p by checking their website at midnight a few days back. Before I could get my wife an appointment, everything was gone. I purposely made my appointment late in the day in case that happened as I was hoping that they would have some extra on hand and be able to fit my wife in. Showed up at about 3:50p, checked in and had my shot by 4:15p or so. My wife was #3 on the waitlist (which I heard was rare, usually they have a LOT more people on the waitlist by this time) and was told to come back at 5p. We went next door to Publix, bought some chicken fingers, a Coke Zero and some things for Easter dinner while waiting. There was one other person on the waitlist (the gatekeeper shut it down after that because she didn't think they would be able to get to any more) but apparently he wandered off or left the premises.

Got back at 5p and had to wait around for a little while until they were sure they had some extra doses. At this location, CVS schedules shots from 10a - 5:45p, somewhere around 200 during that time period apparently. At around 6:00p, they took #1 and #2 on the waitlist. A few more anxious minutes of waiting and my wife was able to get hers. There were probably 3-4 people that came in after her that were either REALLY lucky because they weren't on the waitlist or extremely late for their appointment. I actually had to run down some lady that was already back in her car and ready to drive off after she was told they didn't have any doses left (the tech came a minute or so after she asked at the front table they had setup and mentioned there were a few more doses available).

I'm scheduled for #2 on 4/21, my wife has an appointment scheduled for #2 on 4/22.

My arm is a little sore this morning. Maybe a 2 out of 10 in the pain category. Noticeable, but nothing serious. My wife had some phantom symptoms (so I thought but didn't tell her that for fear of getting punched) while she was in the 15-minute waiting period. I'll be interested in hearing how she feels when she wakes up. 

Probably because the goal is to limit the number of people getting very sick and/or dying. People that end up in the hospital end up putting a drain on resources for everyone. I guess it is kind of like seat belt laws. Not wearing a seat belt mostly only puts you at risk, but if you end up needing EMS and hospital resources unnecessarily, it is no long just the individual's problem.

:shrug:
I think DUI laws would be a more apt comparison

Expected to cross 20% of Texans with full shots by Easter.  LFG
Looking For Group?

There is probably a big discrepancy in where the vaccinated are located. My wife had to drive Angleton to get a vaccine last week and I am driving to Bay City next week to get my vaccine.

My manager also drove many hours outside of Houston to get the vaccine to east texas. I know of other stories as well.

The people in the boondocks are not getting the vaccine, it is easy to sign up for a vaccine in those locations.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread