What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will you get a Covid vaccine when available? (6 Viewers)

Will you get a Covid vaccine when available?

• Yes, as soon as it comes out

Votes: 236 55.4%
  • Yes, but not for a while until some time passes

Votes: 93 21.8%
  • No, I don't think it will be safe

Votes: 19 4.5%
  • No, I don't think it will be effective

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • No, I already had Covid

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Unsure, but leaning yes

Votes: 32 7.5%
  • Unsure, but leaning no

Votes: 28 6.6%

• Total voters
He is asking how far ahead is your appointment since it's not approved yet. They won't let us book until it's approved
I mean not to put too fine a point on it, but Tues is shorthand for Tuesday which is common English for the second day of the week.  

Morning of the next day, I slept really poorly because of shoulder soreness.  I have full range of motion but if I try to lift my hand above even waist height it starts to hurt and to shoulder height it sucks.  No other symptoms yet, about 13 hours after the shot. If I had a physical labor job I would probably call in but I'm fine so far to type and do basic stuff around the house. 

I mentioned after my first jab that I made a mistake and got the shot in my left shoulder and I'm a left side sleeper. If you haven't gotten the shot yet consider your sleep when deciding which arm to get it in.
24 hours post shot. No major side effects, shoulder feels almost completely better (but still sore).  Still tired because I couldn't sleep through the shoulder pain last night though.  Opening a bottle of wine, expect to be asleep by 9. 

No idea.  Our doctor put out the information.  I'm in Texas if you need help finding a place for yours lmk. 
I guess if the approval hasn’t happened by Tuesday, they’ll just cancel your kids appointments and reschedule them.

I have tried locally to speculatively schedule my 14-year-old in advance of FDA approval, but that’s not being done here as far as I can tell. My wife keeps reading on Facebook that so and so got their young teen an appointment ... and then nags me to call around for our son.

I put the question to the local crew on Saintsreport: Who in the N.O. area is getting COVID vaccine appointments for young teens? The leading theory is that people are getting their kids enrolled in vaccine trials (two going on locally) and thinking that’s an actual vaccination appointment.

Your doctor dropped the ball on this. Regeneron is literally running commercials promoting monoclonal antibodies (I realize you got plasma treatment) but the whole key is going to get those treatments as soon as diagnosed with COVID-19. And it obviously does save lives, the treatments are effective and the agencies should be screaming this from the mountaintop the same way they are promoting the vaccines. Really glad to hear that you are doing better.
Maybe, maybe not. While it’s unclear from the info posted, not everyone with covid should receive the antibodies. They are only indicated for outpatients with symptomatic covid and high risk for disease progression, based on age and comorbidities. They also aren’t supposed to be started >10 days after the onset of symptoms.

Once hospitalized, dexamethasone is the key therapy if supplemental oxygen is necessary - usually this is the reason people require admission. Remdesivir is +/-. Tocilizumab is the only other recommended therapy, reserved for sicker patients requiring mechanical ventilation/ECMO.

Convalescent plasma has fallen out of favor, except when part of a clinical trial. And monoclonal antibodies aren’t indicated for hospitalized patients.

Lastly, chest CTs rarely change covid management. Unnecessary radiation exposure should generally be avoided.

24 hours post shot. No major side effects, shoulder feels almost completely better (but still sore).  Still tired because I couldn't sleep through the shoulder pain last night though.  Opening a bottle of wine, expect to be asleep by 9. 
36 hours post shot - no problem sleeping, no new side effects, still some mild soreness but I can lift my shoulder without much discomfort. 

46 hours post shot - arm isn't even a little sore anymore. Going for a run. 

Got second shot of Phizer a few hours ago. No side effects/ symptoms yet. Didn't even feel the shot, the nurse did a great job. The nurse on the first shot felt like she took a sledge hammer to my arm. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Doug B said:
I guess if the approval hasn’t happened by Tuesday, they’ll just cancel your kids appointments and reschedule them.

I have tried locally to speculatively schedule my 14-year-old in advance of FDA approval, but that’s not being done here as far as I can tell. My wife keeps reading on Facebook that so and so got their young teen an appointment ... and then nags me to call around for our son.

I put the question to the local crew on Saintsreport: Who in the N.O. area is getting COVID vaccine appointments for young teens? The leading theory is that people are getting their kids enrolled in vaccine trials (two going on locally) and thinking that’s an actual vaccination appointment.
We’re expecting approval any day. We’re shifting doses of Pfizer to all locations to make it available everywhere because most of our stores aren’t giving it currently. I’d expect many chains to do the same thing. With demand slowing to a crawl, it’s going to be important to be a location that can say yes to all the phone calls.

I’d recommend finding a place that has Pfizer and ask if they will give you a call once it’s approved. Most will be happy to have someone to call to avoid wasting doses. Most chains have instructed stores to not worry if they have to waste doses. Better to give 1 and waste 9 than give 0.

Got my second Moderna on 4/29, so close to 😎 . On day two afterwards I had the chills and body aches but nothing terrible. Dainty Princess gets her second Pfizer on 5/13, the day before her birthday. Between that and being 8 months pregnant, may any poor souls get out of her way for the possible day of reckoning on her birthday. 😨

I'm proud of her. 🤗

Got my second Moderna on 4/29, so close to 😎 . On day two afterwards I had the chills and body aches but nothing terrible. Dainty Princess gets her second Pfizer on 5/13, the day before her birthday. Between that and being 8 months pregnant, may any poor souls get out of her way for the possible day of reckoning on her birthday. 😨

I'm proud of her. 🤗
Congrats on the impending new arrival to your household -- and vaccination of course.  

Doug B said:
No idea.  Our doctor put out the information.  I'm in Texas if you need help finding a place for yours lmk. 

It looks like in some states, ages 12-15 can be pre-scheduled for the COVID vaccination. Interesting.

By the FDA. CDC still needs to approve. Wednesday I believe. Very happy with my 11 year old turning 12 in two weeks. 😃
My 14 year old daughter will be thrilled once she can get it.  Went back to school 4 days a week  on Apr 26th, got quarantined a week later because one of her friends that she eats lunch with tested positive.

Missed her first modified softball game tonight, and tryouts for her AAA travel hockey team this past weekend. Gets out of Q tomorrow, and would take the shot tonight if she could so she doesn't have to go through this again. 

My 14 year old daughter will be thrilled once she can get it.  Went back to school 4 days a week  on Apr 26th, got quarantined a week later because one of her friends that she eats lunch with tested positive.

Missed her first modified softball game tonight, and tryouts for her AAA travel hockey team this past weekend. Gets out of Q tomorrow, and would take the shot tonight if she could so she doesn't have to go through this again. 
We've been home with no activities since March last year. Would be great to get back to school in person and activities like softball.

We've been home with no activities since March last year. Would be great to get back to school in person and activities like softball.
That sucks.  Where are you at, if you don't mind me asking? I'm in NYS, and thought we had some of the tougher restrictions going. 

That sucks.  Where are you at, if you don't mind me asking? I'm in NYS, and thought we had some of the tougher restrictions going. 
I'm in AZ. Its not that there isn't in person school and some activities going on, it's personal choice. Been very cautious with this whole mess. 

Dangit -- none of the local places are budging yet on scheduling 12-15 year olds. The close-by grocery store pharmacy that has been doing walk-ins for over a month told me that permission to vaccinate 12-15 years "hasn't come down from Corporate yet" :kicksrock:

Can't be much longer now.

Dangit -- none of the local places are budging yet on scheduling 12-15 year olds. The close-by grocery store pharmacy that has been doing walk-ins for over a month told me that permission to vaccinate 12-15 years "hasn't come down from Corporate yet" :kicksrock:

Can't be much longer now.
Same... They all say coming soon. I guess you could lie and say 16 and make an appointment for like Friday. But I'd feel like a doosh 

Georgia is already giving shots to 12-15 year olds this morning. Not waiting on the CDC. I guess it's up to each state.
I think it depends on the setting giving the shot. It’s the ACIP specifically that we are waiting on. My understanding is that the FDA approves it to be given, the ACIP then gives the authorization of who it can be given by, specifically in this case, pharmacies.

Generally pharmacies can give certain vaccines without prescription and that’s determined by ACIP recommendations for each vaccine and age group. Other vaccines are approved but can only be given with a prescription from a doctor.

In this case it’s just needless semantics. Technically until that recommendation comes in, pharmacists don’t have the prescriptive ability to give the shot without a prescription, at least that’s how I understand AZ’s law. Some states may have just given pharmacies the thumbs up or the pharmacies just started doing it anyway without authorization.

Officially green lit for 12-15s
Unfortunately, the only pharmacy with a searchable vax appointments tool where I am seems to have gone all in on Moderna (Thrifty White). CVS/Walgreens are a joke... all you see is no appointments available. Walmart was maddening searching for my 16 Y.O. in that you get to end of a maze and find out you aren't eligible (code for 'we only have Moderna' without saying that). It's like trying to buy a PS5. For Thrifty White, I can see 1800+ openings and each of its stores listed have only Moderna options. Was not the case 4 weeks ago when I found a Pfizer option for my 16 year old.  

Just booked for Saturday for my 15 year old.  

Could have done Thursday but she has softball games Thursday, Friday, Saturday morning.   I don't think the 2 days will matter. :)

I think it depends on the setting giving the shot. It’s the ACIP specifically that we are waiting on. My understanding is that the FDA approves it to be given, the ACIP then gives the authorization of who it can be given by, specifically in this case, pharmacies.

Generally pharmacies can give certain vaccines without prescription and that’s determined by ACIP recommendations for each vaccine and age group. Other vaccines are approved but can only be given with a prescription from a doctor.

In this case it’s just needless semantics. Technically until that recommendation comes in, pharmacists don’t have the prescriptive ability to give the shot without a prescription, at least that’s how I understand AZ’s law. Some states may have just given pharmacies the thumbs up or the pharmacies just started doing it anyway without authorization.
Do you think the Pfizer will be widely available in AZ for 12-15 year olds in 2 weeks? Would like to get their two shot regimen done as soon as possible. Maybe looking at a road trip or plane ride (still makes me a little skittish even vaccinated) this summer after they are dosed up.

Do you think the Pfizer will be widely available in AZ for 12-15 year olds in 2 weeks? Would like to get their two shot regimen done as soon as possible. Maybe looking at a road trip or plane ride (still makes me a little skittish even vaccinated) this summer after they are dosed up.
It will be widely available the moment we get the thumbs up. My boss is picking up doses for every Safeway/Albertsons in the metro area for walk-in doses. If you have any problems finding it, let me know, we plan on having it readily available at our pharmacy.

Georgia is already giving shots to 12-15 year olds this morning. Not waiting on the CDC. I guess it's up to each state.
Must be. Louisiana is STILL holding off. Just called around to the usual places and none of them are scheduling young teens yet, even after the CDC recommendation. :kicksrock:  

Ohio is using a raffle to help get people vaccinated.  5 vaccinated people 17 and under will win a full 4 year scholarship to any state university.  5 vaccinated people 18 or older will win $1,000,000.  
This is pure genius.  Can’t love it enough.  If Wisconsin does this, my cousins might actually get vaccinated.

I preface this by saying that I don't have kids but are parents concerned with getting their kids vaccinated? I've gotten my first shot so far and am willing to take the risk, no matter how small it might be, but I imagine it can't be an easy decision for some to vaccinate a child.

I preface this by saying that I don't have kids but are parents concerned with getting their kids vaccinated? I've gotten my first shot so far and am willing to take the risk, no matter how small it might be, but I imagine it can't be an easy decision for some to vaccinate a child.
No qualms here.  My 16 year old has already has his first shot, and my 14 year old will be scheduled ASAP. 

They both enjoy not having polio, and are looking forward to also being protected from COVID. 

If they were younger it may trigger more discussion for my wife and I, but probably not as long as all the trials go well. 

Helz no.  I was just wondering if there was some kind of drive through we could hit for them today.  They are 12 and 15.  Can't wait.

Easiest decision ever. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday my sister had already posted a picture of my 13 year old nephew getting his first.  Today my wife forwarded me all the forms my 13 year old daughter will need for her first shot on the 26th.  A pharmacy is partnering with the school district, and the shots will be given at the high school.

Must be. Louisiana is STILL holding off. Just called around to the usual places and none of them are scheduling young teens yet, even after the CDC recommendation. :kicksrock:  
Got my son in -- next Tuesday, he'll have his first dose  :headbang:

Users who are viewing this thread