What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will you get a Covid vaccine when available? (1 Viewer)

Will you get a Covid vaccine when available?

• Yes, as soon as it comes out

Votes: 236 55.4%
  • Yes, but not for a while until some time passes

Votes: 93 21.8%
  • No, I don't think it will be safe

Votes: 19 4.5%
  • No, I don't think it will be effective

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • No, I already had Covid

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Unsure, but leaning yes

Votes: 32 7.5%
  • Unsure, but leaning no

Votes: 28 6.6%

• Total voters
My 4 year old grandson had COVID in January. Along with his dad and mother. It was pretty mild. He was sick a couple days, even threw up one day. Was over it in I think 3 days max. 

Now he has been diagnosed with asthma. Which isn't surprising since his dad has it, grandma has it, etc. But now he is on full blown asthma inhalers, rescue inhalers, etc. He spent the night last night and had an attack at 4 am. Mom (who lives next door) had to bring over some kind of liquid rescue med because the inhaler was not enough. He was coughing so much he threw up. He has gotten sick a few times since COVID where he was pretty healthy and rarely got sick before COVID. The doc said because he had COVID, he is more susceptible to these other things now. Not sure if that is a temporary thing or if it is long term. I wasn't there when the doc told mom. 

Before COVID -> healthy, not diagnosed with asthma

Post COVID -> keeps getting sick and now has full blown asthma needing rescue inhalers, etc.

beer 30 said:
Moderna shot #2 yesterday at 10am. Like clockwork, around 8pm, started to feel like ####. Went to bed at 9pm, chills, achy, tired. Slept through till 8am, still feel lethargic and a little achy. About ready to go take another nap. Feel better than I did last night but not close to 100%.
Was back to normal on Friday so I guess everything worked as designed.

Two weeks and I frolic about again, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
belljr said:
School in Florida won't allow vaccinated teachers near students....
Could you at least add the huge part about it being a nut job anti-vaxxer that founded the school? That’s not a public or private school. Your post is completely misleading.

jobarules said:
Not sure why? If he gets covid at worst he has flu like symptoms. Why voluntarily give him flu like symptoms when there's a 99.9% chance he has very mild symptoms from covid?
It’s this type of thinking that leads people to not get their second shot and for us to continue to have to worry about what school in the Fall will be like. My 16 year old and 19 year old have already had both shots. My wife and I have already had both shots. My parents have also already had both shots. None of us had flu like symptoms. The only people who post that they had bad symptoms are people that had them. The people that maybe felt a little tired or had a sore arm don’t post as much.

If you had the vaccine and didn’t have much of a reaction, then your kid won’t. Personally, for my kids to be protected from the chance of having health problems that people have had with COVID, I’m fine with them feeling a little tired.

top dog said:
My 4 year old grandson had COVID in January. Along with his dad and mother. It was pretty mild. He was sick a couple days, even threw up one day. Was over it in I think 3 days max. 

Now he has been diagnosed with asthma. Which isn't surprising since his dad has it, grandma has it, etc. But now he is on full blown asthma inhalers, rescue inhalers, etc. He spent the night last night and had an attack at 4 am. Mom (who lives next door) had to bring over some kind of liquid rescue med because the inhaler was not enough. He was coughing so much he threw up. He has gotten sick a few times since COVID where he was pretty healthy and rarely got sick before COVID. The doc said because he had COVID, he is more susceptible to these other things now. Not sure if that is a temporary thing or if it is long term. I wasn't there when the doc told mom. 

Post COVID -> keeps getting sick and now has full blown asthma needing rescue inhalers, etc.
Yep, this is why my youngest (14) is scheduled for his shot on Thursday. He’s going to the beach with a friend (who he’s hung out with since the beginning) for a week while the rest of us go to a friend’s beach house just for the weekend. Knowing he’ll at least have already gotten his first shot before makes me feel better. After mid June, my family will be 100% vaccinated. That will be nice although we definitely having been hiding so to speak. 

Could you at least add the huge part about it being a nut job anti-vaxxer that founded the school? That’s not a public or private school. Your post is completely misleading.
Huh? First its a private school.  Second if you bothered to read the post I responded too. Someone posted that "friends" are afraid of getting breathed on by people who are vaccinated.  I simply replied to their post and they asked if I was serious 

I'd say my reply was pretty much on point 

See below

belljr said:
cap'n grunge said:
So maybe this belongs in the other Covid thread, but whatever. Apparently there is a conspiracy theory going around in the anti-vax crowd where they are worried that vaccinated people are gonna breath on them and make them sick with the government 5G and/or other things and are now embracing wearing masks to protect against the vaccinated. 
School in Florida won't allow vaccinated teachers near students

Huh? First its a private school.  Second if you bothered to read the post I responded too. Someone posted that "friends" are afraid of getting breathed on by people who are vaccinated.  I simply replied to their post and they asked if I was serious 

I'd say my reply was pretty much on point 

See below
I did read it, just don't like misleading titles/links. It'd be like having an article about the Westboro Baptist Church and saying that churches are protesting the military as if it remotely represents a normal church or as if this "school" remotely represents a normal school. Even the article in the link just says "Private School" as if it were a catholic school or other private school instead of leading with a title like "Private School run by a Loon who thinks unvaccinated women get miscarriages by standing close to vaccinated people won't allow teachers to be vaccinated."

We're entitled to our own opinions of whether your post was misleading or not, but too many people don't even bother to read the article. Here's his reply to you:

cap'n grunge said:
Wow. Just wow.
And another:

Judge Smails said:
It’s Florida 
So, basically some idiot anti-vaxxer (some of the most famous come from Cali, not Florida) is now being parroted as if he represents the school system in Florida. Heck, it wouldn't surprise me if it's not even a real school that's registered or whatever it needs to be with the state.

cap'n grunge said:
So maybe this belongs in the other Covid thread, but whatever. Apparently there is a conspiracy theory going around in the anti-vax crowd where they are worried that vaccinated people are gonna breath on them and make them sick with the government 5G and/or other things and are now embracing wearing masks to protect against the vaccinated. 
That's some Starbellied Sneetches type stuff right there. 

jobarules said:
My son isn't getting the shot. I don't see the point of voluntarily giving him the flu when covid is far majority of the time is mild for children.
I might be wrong but I think you said that your wife was initially reluctant to get the shot but was convinced by her doctor to get it.  If the same doctor said your kid should get the shot would you guys change your mind?

jobarules said:
The chances are so small they are incomprehensible. If I worried about that or every other little incomprehensible thing in life id drive myself nuts.
As someone who had the virus with mild symptoms, some of the longer term issues are concerning and I would have much rather not gotten it at all. It's a weird disease and I have no idea what I'm in for down the road.

As someone who had the virus with mild symptoms, some of the longer term issues are concerning and I would have much rather not gotten it at all. It's a weird disease and I have no idea what I'm in for down the road.
I mean if you start having heart problems 10 years from now are you gonna blame it on the COVID or are you gonna blame it on all the cheeseburgers you ate? I am talking generally not really about you in particular.

I mean if you start having heart problems 10 years from now are you gonna blame it on the COVID or are you gonna blame it on all the cheeseburgers you ate? I am talking generally not really about you in particular.
That depends if in 10 years from now there is a noticeable increase in heart problems in those that had mild symptoms from covid. I won't say I'd blame it on it, but it would be something I would regret catching if I had a vaccine available to me.

Look, I understand. I even asked the question earlier if anyone is having a hard time deciding on whether or not to have a child vaccinated. I know for some, it's a tough decision and probably would be for me if I had kids.

This is something that is easily tracked. In the coming months and years is the instance of *name your malady* greater in those who had Covid as opposed to those who did not? This can be extended to those who were vaccinated and still contracted Covid. A problem arises if people are asymptomatic and not tested.

However, I trust raw data over my armchair scientist theories.

cap'n grunge said:
I heard that vaccinated people were stealing the ant-vax's children and making them bake cookies in hollowed out oak trees. 

I heard that vaccinated people were stealing the ant-vax's children and making them bake cookies in hollowed out oak trees. 
Ah yes, the Gates/Rothschild/Keebler secret pact designed to use the pandemic to achieve global dominance via slave labor and delicious cookies. Diabolical.

Close to actual violence in my house last night.

I have Moderna and my wife had pfizer. My daughter just got pfizer #1 but I tried to jump her in to the Moderna crew but that was squashed quick.  The turf war is real

I have a buddy that is a rep for a food company that sells meat to restaurants.  He told me of his customers was the head chef of a prestigious restaurant in Pittsburgh that he's known for almost 20 years.   

The chef quit his job because he had Covid last year, lost his sense of smell and taste and hasn't gotten it back.   He told my buddy he tried getting by but found it impossible to continue cooking.  He decided to quit when his doctor said there is no way of knowing if or when he'll regain smell and taste and they may not be the same as they were pre-Covid.

Pretty crazy virus...

A little anecdotal update here in Washington State:  

Went to Costco this morning.

I wasn't sure what the mask protocol would be (I tried googling information for our state, but it was really clear as mud).  So I brought a mask in my pocket.  I asked the lady at the door check-in if I needed to wear a mask (pulled it out of my pocket), and she said if I was vaccinated I didn't need to.  So cool.   Put the mask back in my pocket.

While I was in the store (about 45 minutes), I didn't see one other person without a mask.  Probably about 40-45 people (not including employees).  Got a few 'looks' like, why aren't you wearing a mask? but no one said anything.

I'd say the overall age of the shoppers was 60+ so that probably has a lot to do with me being the lone maskless rebel.

I wasn't sure what the mask protocol would be (I tried googling information for our state, but it was really clear as mud).  So I brought a mask in my pocket.  I asked the lady at the door check-in if I needed to wear a mask (pulled it out of my pocket), and she said if I was vaccinated I didn't need to.  So cool.   Put the mask back in my pocket.

While I was in the store (about 45 minutes), I didn't see one other person without a mask.  Probably about 40-45 people (not including employees).  Got a few 'looks' like, why aren't you wearing a mask? but no one said anything.

I'd say the overall age of the shoppers was 60+ so that probably has a lot to do with me being the lone maskless rebel.
Costco by my house in Washington was about 50/50 last weekend.   

I'd probably just put a mask on. It's pretty painless. I'm fully vaccinated but will probably keep masking up when around others for a bit longer. Once my youngest is vaccinated that may start changing. I'm an outlier though, I still wipe things down or quarantine them for a couple days and until just recently would heat pizza and fast food for a few minutes in the oven. Overkill? Probably. But I was going to do everything I could to avoid the Rona for myself and the family.

I'd probably just put a mask on. It's pretty painless. I'm fully vaccinated but will probably keep masking up when around others for a bit longer. Once my youngest is vaccinated that may start changing. I'm an outlier though, I still wipe things down or quarantine them for a couple days and until just recently would heat pizza and fast food for a few minutes in the oven. Overkill? Probably. But I was going to do everything I could to avoid the Rona for myself and the family.
There was a couple times I almost put it on.

But I powered through, heh.

I tend to treat my mask as a second hat in terms of displaying my favorite team. I kind of like having the mask when around a lot of people, but then again, I hated being around a lot of people well before the pandemic.

I intend to continue wearing a mask in high risk areas, like planes, schools, crowds, and public transit.  Not because I'm scared of COVID (I got it last March and have been fully vaccinated), but because of catching all of the other germs out there.  I haven't been sick in over a year and it's been pretty nice.  There are a lot of filthy people out there.

identikit said:

I’ve noticed the same thing in places that I’ve gone since the guidance change. In my store we still have signs up requiring masks and really haven’t seen much uptick. The ones not wearing masks weren’t wearing them before and probably aren’t vaccinated. The gym where by daughter goes for Ninja Warrior class sent out an email saying masks are no longer required. In class today most were still wearing masks.

I will continue wearing a mask at work and traveling. I’ll also wear one where they require it as well as when we’re with our girls. They are likely to still be unvaccinated and wearing masks when school starts in August. It’s a minor inconvenience to set a good example for them and make sure that they will continue good habits when school starts. So really not much has changed for me.

For those who've had at least one shot - did you feel anything - I mean ANYTHING - when getting the shot?

Nothing, nada, nope for me.  If it wasn't for the sore arm later in the day, you could have convinced me nurse wiped the arm with alcohol and then went straight to the band-aid.   

For those who've had at least one shot - did you feel anything - I mean ANYTHING - when getting the shot?

Nothing, nada, nope for me.  If it wasn't for the sore arm later in the day, you could have convinced me nurse wiped the arm with alcohol and then went straight to the band-aid.   
I had the same exact experience with the first Moderna shot. My son reported similarly after his first Pfizer.

The second shot I felt, but it wasn't painful. Probably some slight movement as the needle was going in, something subtle.

I had the same exact experience with the first Moderna shot. My son reported similarly after his first Pfizer.

The second shot I felt, but it wasn't painful. Probably some slight movement as the needle was going in, something subtle.
Same for me. First Moderna nothing. Second Moderna almost nothing.

Same here with my first Pfizer.  Second Pfizer I felt a pinch, but that was it. 

As someone who has regularly prepped injections in the past, and also seen how the Moderna vaccine was prepped behind-the-scenes, I can tell you that how it is handled can make a big difference in the sharpness of the needle.

I got my 2 shots from different places. On my 1st shot I felt almost nothing, but the ham-fisted brute who prepped my 2nd shot caused it to feel like I was getting stabbed with dull steak knife.

Vaxxed two months ago but still had to get a Covid test yesterday for a colonoscopy tomorrow. Freaking hate the nasopharyngeal swab test, I know it’s a little different for everyone but always painful for me.

Good luck - Asthma sucks especially at that age.  I will say that once probably treated he has a very good chance of it not being an issue.  At least that is true for my son and I, where you have real dificulties but can be controlled well.  Honestly, my wife and I never look forward to the fall and respiratory virus season as it always hits my son the hardest.  This year he didn't catch anything in the fall and winter due to masks, distancing, etc.

identikit said:

Silverdale Costco checking in with 100% mask-wearing yesterday minus one dude.  Wait, was that you?   :lol:   The one guy without a mask was shopping with a woman who was wearing one, which seemed odd.  Anyway, I was surprised at the near-complete usage, especially with the big sign up front saying you don’t have to if vaxxed.

Silverdale Costco checking in with 100% mask-wearing yesterday minus one dude.  Wait, was that you?   :lol:   The one guy without a mask was shopping with a woman who was wearing one, which seemed odd.  Anyway, I was surprised at the near-complete usage, especially with the big sign up front saying you don’t have to if vaxxed.
I do not know that masked woman!

I was in a Costco south of there, so I have an airtight alibi (my receipt).

First one, nothing. Second, normal shot. 

I think that’s a skill set thing with the shot giver. 

Users who are viewing this thread