What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Amy Palcic fired for 'cultural' reasons (1 Viewer)

Should have added, and before they let them go.   Google people fired for social media posts..  It is never ending.  As I stated before this was probably a the last straw as most likely there were underlying issues. 

But hey at least some people know who she is now.  I had never heard of her.
You made up a scenario where they have justification so you are making things up.

We don't have to make things up, we know people in the NFL knew of her, just a few hours ago Peter King did an entire segment on her in the MMQB and many others have come forward praising her work.  Not just word of mouth, of the 32 people in her position in the league she was recognized as the best and was awarded by the league.

Who fired her?

A person who shared tweets supporting a losing candidate.

Fired three days after an election for sharing a post on her personal account.  One no one in the league would have reason to check personal social accounts or if they had they would discover posts that are far from controversial.  

The issue is the abuse of power, the creep factor.  

• Love
Reactions: JAA
You made up a scenario where they have justification so you are making things up.

We don't have to make things up, we know people in the NFL knew of her, just a few hours ago Peter King did an entire segment on her in the MMQB and many others have come forward praising her work.  Not just word of mouth, of the 32 people in her position in the league she was recognized as the best and was awarded by the league.

Who fired her?

A person who shared tweets supporting a losing candidate.

Fired three days after an election for sharing a post on her personal account.  One no one in the league would have reason to check personal social accounts or if they had they would discover posts that are far from controversial.  

The issue is the abuse of power, the creep factor.  
Hey she has a hired a lawyer.  If things work out for her she will get a nice severance check.   :thumbup:

Why is it okay to refuse to hire somebody for their social media posts but not okay to fire them for their social media posts?  Either their social media posts are relevant to their job performance or they aren't.

Why is it okay to refuse to hire somebody for their social media posts but not okay to fire them for their social media posts?  Either their social media posts are relevant to their job performance or they aren't.
I think its pretty easy to see the difference.

One has been hired and performed well enough to gain a great reputation within their field and won a prize for being the best at their job who gets fired days after posting something in their personal social media about an election by a person whose personal social media page is rife with the losing side tags.

VS

Not hiring someone for any reason.

I think its pretty easy to see the difference.

One has been hired and performed well enough to gain a great reputation within their field and won a prize for being the best at their job who gets fired days after posting something in their personal social media about an election by a person whose personal social media page is rife with the losing side tags.

VS

Not hiring someone for any reason.
That's not a difference.  If social media postings don't stop someone from performing well on the job, then there's no justification for using them in the hiring process.

That's not a difference.  If social media postings don't stop someone from performing well on the job, then there's no justification for using them in the hiring process.
Verified good to excellent performance over nothing add employer gainfully employing someone till they act out from a non-job related emotional outburst due to an election is a BIG difference.

If you can see and are just trolling or if you can't see I'm not all that interested.

Verified good to excellent performance over nothing add employer gainfully employing someone till they act out from a non-job related emotional outburst due to an election is a BIG difference.

If you can see and are just trolling or if you can't see I'm not all that interested.
I think you're just making up an arbitrary distinction to support not hiring someone for "cultural" reasons while still opposing firing someone for "cultural" reasons.  I don't think the Texans should deny someone employment just because they happen to be Biden supporters and said so on social media.  I'm sorry that you disagree, and also kind of surprised since you're the one who started this thread.

I think you're just making up an arbitrary distinction to support not hiring someone for "cultural" reasons while still opposing firing someone for "cultural" reasons.  I don't think the Texans should deny someone employment just because they happen to be Biden supporters and said so on social media.  I'm sorry that you disagree, and also kind of surprised since you're the one who started this thread.
We have no idea what was going on behind the scenes.  Maybe she was poisoning other employees, bad mouthing her bosses views.  Nobody really knows.   I looked it up and yes you can be let go for cultural reasons.

Some employees miss deadlines, avoid hard work, are perpetually late, and just don’t keep up with their responsibilities, and these are all universally understood performance-related behaviors that can lead to an employee’s termination.

But what about cultural fit issues? Can culture problems be a basis for firing an employee? The short answer is yes.

We have no idea what was going on behind the scenes.  Maybe she was poisoning other employees, bad mouthing her bosses views.  Nobody really knows.   I looked it up and yes you can be let go for cultural reasons.

Some employees miss deadlines, avoid hard work, are perpetually late, and just don’t keep up with their responsibilities, and these are all universally understood performance-related behaviors that can lead to an employee’s termination.

But what about cultural fit issues? Can culture problems be a basis for firing an employee? The short answer is yes.
Somebody like @bigbottom would know this far better than me, but is Texas an at-will state? If so, and if it operates like AZ does in that regard, a person can be let go for almost anything that doesn't have to do with them being in a protected class. 

Somebody like @bigbottom would know this far better than me, but is Texas an at-will state? If so, and if it operates like AZ does in that regard, a person can be let go for almost anything that doesn't have to do with them being in a protected class. 

Yes

Users who are viewing this thread