What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"Activists" take control of a motel (1 Viewer)

That's absurd, I did like this line from the article.   "THN has called on its army of supporters (think: vegan Avengers but in homemade defensive gear, lame nicknames, and superpowers that mostly involve playing victim on Twitter."

Motel owner should cut all power.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is insane

It is just the beginning. This will start happening all over. Especially as they decriminalize stuff like this. We have already seen this in Oregon, San Fran, and Seattle. 
That’s ridiculous. Must be great to be an entitled loser that thinks you can create your own rules at the expense of a business owner that relies on income to pay their mortgage. 

I dont negotiate with ultimatums and I'm not recommending any do so now.

That said, is anyone really surprised by this?  The delta from the have and have-nots is growing at an exponential rate.  If something isnt done, we will see more of this.
Exactly.  We need to address the root cause.

Exactly.  We need to address the root cause.
Lack of affordable housing and a lack of mental health resources. I’m not sure there’s too much more to it.

Although I think the other factor which isn’t as tangible is the fact that it is incredibly hard to improve your situation in this country if you’ve made a few bad mistakes in a row. Once you get behind the 8 ball, so to speak, you have an incredibly hard task ahead of you to succeed.  

Lack of affordable housing and a lack of mental health resources. I’m not sure there’s too much more to it.

Although I think the other factor which isn’t as tangible is the fact that it is incredibly hard to improve your situation in this country if you’ve made a few bad mistakes in a row. Once you get behind the 8 ball, so to speak, you have an incredibly hard task ahead of you to succeed.  
Agreed. Fixing those root causes (I’d throw in substance abuse along with mental health issues) is not always easy, especially when the individuals don’t willingly take the help available.

Unfortunately, groups like this one here are often a mess and do more harm than good. They have ill defined goals and unreasonable expectations. A group in Philly setup a couple of encampments in highly trafficked highly visible areas during the turmoil this summer. The City began to work with and negotiate with them to try to find some housing and provide some other services. But what they found is that the group just kept continually moving the goal posts. No option was acceptable to them and every time a request was met they simply asked for more. The City, run by real deal bleeding heart types, finally realized that they’d never be able to satisfy the group and simply went in and cleared them out.

Agreed. Fixing those root causes (I’d throw in substance abuse along with mental health issues) is not always easy, especially when the individuals don’t willingly take the help available.

Unfortunately, groups like this one here are often a mess and do more harm than good. They have ill defined goals and unreasonable expectations. A group in Philly setup a couple of encampments in highly trafficked highly visible areas during the turmoil this summer. The City began to work with and negotiate with them to try to find some housing and provide some other services. But what they found is that the group just kept continually moving the goal posts. No option was acceptable to them and every time a request was met they simply asked for more. The City, run by real deal bleeding heart types, finally realized that they’d never be able to satisfy the group and simply went in and cleared them out.
That is exactly what happened here. Somehow 16 motel rooms were enough to house them, but 10 permanent tiny homes somehow was only enough for 1/4 of them. 

People are jerks. Homeless people definitely not going to be an exception. 

This is insane

It is just the beginning. This will start happening all over. Especially as they decriminalize stuff like this. We have already seen this in Oregon, San Fran, and Seattle. 
There was a lot of this in the 60s and early 70s. Universities, public parks...a group of native Americans seized Alcatraz. 
I don’t think it portends wider disorder. 

There was a lot of this in the 60s and early 70s. Universities, public parks...a group of native Americans seized Alcatraz. 
I don’t think it portends wider disorder. 
I think it portends something and bespeaks and harkens back to the asininity that was the late 60s and 70s. Armed students taking over university buildings, people thugging about with bags full of piss to throw at cops during demonstrations in many areas, the whole shebang of Boomer lawlessness that came to pass as simple idealism but was really armed revolution resulting in a lawlessness never quite seen before. Now, was the opposition deserving of it, especially the Deep State (yes, the real deep state that was the FBI under Hoover)? Possibly. But the commandeering of private and public property for a group's own ends is always attention-getting, at least to me. 

And if you think it doesn't portend further calls from the right for more and more drastic law and order, you'd be wrong. 

Last edited by a moderator:
And the people chiming in that we need to feed and rehabilitate the homeless over and above all as a concern miss the very real threat to the fabric of our nation that private property has and is. It's a simplistic, often simpering and worthless sentiment, to the problem of property commandeered. 

And the people chiming in that we need to feed and rehabilitate the homeless over and above all as a concern miss the very real threat to the fabric of our nation that private property has and is. It's a simplistic, often simpering and worthless sentiment, to the problem of property commandeered. 
I am not sure i get what you are saying here? It reads that private property is a threat. I think you meant to say the threat to private property, but I dont know. 

I am not sure i get what you are saying here? It reads that private property is a threat. I think you meant to say the threat to private property, but I dont know. 
Because of the very real threat to the fabric of our nation that threats to our private property are.

Some are desperate.....some are taking advantage of no repercussions......if someone is inclined to criminal activity, and they know they likely won't have to pay the piper, they become emboldened......I feel bad for hard working small business owners......they seem to be the ones who are being totally screwed.

Tacoma Housing has a history of this type of thing.  Last year they took over an abandoned school that was unsafe for any use and was about to be demolished.   Tacoma and Pierce County are horribly run and corrupt.  Tacoma has an empty jail that could be converted to temporary housing for homeless, but they won’t do it, despite community support.  No clue why they oppose it.

Tacoma Housing has a history of this type of thing.  Last year they took over an abandoned school that was unsafe for any use and was about to be demolished.   Tacoma and Pierce County are horribly run and corrupt.  Tacoma has an empty jail that could be converted to temporary housing for homeless, but they won’t do it, despite community support.  No clue why they oppose it.

https://www.traveller.com.au/what-happens-to-old-cruise-ships-scrapped-sunk-or-turned-into-hotels-and-museums-h1280l

https://www.recycleandrecoverplastics.org/consumers/kids-recycling/plastics-can-become/

Put them on retired ships near land in a mostly remote coastline area. Give them jobs to repair and maintenance the "ships" and to work on farms nearby to grow their own food. Use it as a depot to deal with plastic waste in the US. Adidas has turned old plastic bottles into shoes. Many of those old cruise ships when they age aren't worth that much, the scrap value is worth more than whatever could be made running and repairing the ship. Build a large recycling hub and give the homeless jobs and a  clean place to live. On ships, you don't have issues with them on land. Let them form their own community. Anyone who can't or won't put in the work will have their citizenship stripped and deported out of the US.

Look up the reviews for this hotel pre November.

You will get a better understanding of the owner's willingness to abandon the property.

Put them on retired ships near land in a mostly remote coastline area. Give them jobs to repair and maintenance the "ships" and to work on farms nearby to grow their own food. Use it as a depot to deal with plastic waste in the US. Adidas has turned old plastic bottles into shoes. Many of those old cruise ships when they age aren't worth that much, the scrap value is worth more than whatever could be made running and repairing the ship. Build a large recycling hub and give the homeless jobs and a  clean place to live. On ships, you don't have issues with them on land. Let them form their own community. Anyone who can't or won't put in the work will have their citizenship stripped and deported out of the US.
Real problems, real solutions.

Users who are viewing this thread