Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Updated Forum Software From Invision 1.11.21


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, shades said:

 

Y'all need to use the new URLs

@Joe Bryant needs to update the links in the nav bar, and in the automated forum messages, as well.

Not sure. I asked Keith and he said:

If they're unable to get to specific forums even after clicking the links, they probably tried to load that page while the bookmarks/Google links/remembered address bar links were not working correctly and got an error message. They should work OK after clearing their cache, but they can test in Incognito mode without making any cache changes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Two things to check  1) scroll to the bottom of the page and choose Theme footballguys dark. I was using it before and it reset to light during the upgrade  2) click on the three lines menu

Hey Folks, We've installed the update from Invision and you can see the forums look slightly different. Hopefully better.  Mainly hope this helps with stability issues. We'd had trouble ther

This is like when New Coke came out.  People will adapt and forget about the old style.

15 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

Not sure. I asked Keith and he said:

If they're unable to get to specific forums even after clicking the links, they probably tried to load that page while the bookmarks/Google links/remembered address bar links were not working correctly and got an error message. They should work OK after clearing their cache, but they can test in Incognito mode without making any cache changes.

 

No... at the top of this page, in the Footballguys banner, your links were wrong. That is, if you mouse over to "Community" and get the drop down list, the links there that take you to the different forums are incorrect. They all have "/forum/forum/" instead of just "/forum/"

 

It looks like Keith or someone has added redirects so that the error resolves to the correct address rather than the error page now.


 

Link to post
Share on other sites

the only  address i have book marked  is fbg home page 
i just use the community link at the top to get into the forums  
been getting into shark pool and idp ok
3/4 of the time into ffa
cant get into psf 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This thing is a mess. I clean all cookies and history. Do a google search for FBG FFA and I can get in, but most times as soon as I sign in, I get an error message.

After messing with this way more than I should have to, I managed to log in and post one thing, Go to a new thread and I am logged out and I can't do anything else. 

I have tried Edge/Chrome---just frustrating. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IvanKaramazov said:

This site is really awful now.  I can't even post without going into incognito mode.

Come on, guys.

Apologies for the trouble.

Can you elaborate in more detail exactly what you're seeing and what is the problem? It's working perfectly for me now after clearing cache and I'd been having the 500 errors last week. 

Please let us know what type of operating system and device your posting and what browser and exactly what you're seeing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

After I got that screen that said you can't reach the site yesterday afternoon,  I deleted my old book mark, emptied cache and browser history, created a new nookmark and its worked great since then.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Ivan, if the site works in incognito mode but not in regular mode, your browser most likely has a forums error screen stuck in its browser cache.

If you're not sure where that menu option is, this site will give you precise instructions on how to clear the cache on your browser:

https://clear-my-cache.com/

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Memphis Foundry said:

Hey Ivan, if the site works in incognito mode but not in regular mode, your browser most likely has a forums error screen stuck in its browser cache.

If you're not sure where that menu option is, this site will give you precise instructions on how to clear the cache on your browser:

https://clear-my-cache.com/

Thanks Buddy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Memphis Foundry said:

Hey Ivan, if the site works in incognito mode but not in regular mode, your browser most likely has a forums error screen stuck in its browser cache.

If you're not sure where that menu option is, this site will give you precise instructions on how to clear the cache on your browser:

https://clear-my-cache.com/

That did it, at least for now.  Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Search function is really bad.  

Also another annoyance.  If I sort the thread in the FFA to custom/topics I've posted in, it only gives me one page of results.  I don't see an option to look at additional pages.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, shuke said:

Search function is really bad.  

Also another annoyance.  If I sort the thread in the FFA to custom/topics I've posted in, it only gives me one page of results.  I don't see an option to look at additional pages.

I'm not sure there.

I understand the search to be working as designed for:

Search in:

    Topics

    This forum

    Status updates

    Events

    Members

Find Results that contain:

     Any the term words

     All the term words

Find results in:

     Titles and body

     Titles only

 

It's working perfectly for me on all that. I've never tried to search for just things I've posted in and not sure how to do that from our search interface.

For what we're offering it seems to be working properly. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know there are some google tricks to help on search too. Some of you guys may know those.

Search is one of the more painful features we have as it's consistently something everyone seems to hate but whenever I need it, it works exactly as it's intended to. So not sure. 

May be best to just assume search is not available if we're not able to get it going. Sorry. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/16/2021 at 1:00 PM, Memphis Foundry said:

Hey Ivan, if the site works in incognito mode but not in regular mode, your browser most likely has a forums error screen stuck in its browser cache.

If you're not sure where that menu option is, this site will give you precise instructions on how to clear the cache on your browser:

https://clear-my-cache.com/

I didn't have any problems until yesterday, but then started getting the "This page isn't working" error on Windows 10 using both Chrome and Brave browsers (working fine with Brave on my phone, though).

Clearing the cache seems to have worked with Chrome, but not Brave.  With Brave, I can open the page after clearing the cache, but once I sign in again, it goes back to the error.  I thought maybe my cache wasn't clearing properly for some reason, but found the Windows folder and it did empty out. I'm not sure if there's another place Brave might put something that's sticking around and causing the error?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Joe Bryant said:

I'm not sure there.

 

 

For instance, I tried searching for the thread on the TV show "Dark" in the FFA.  I searched for "dark" and checked "content titles only".  The results were worthless.  

I realize you probably have little control over this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, shuke said:

For instance, I tried searching for the thread on the TV show "Dark" in the FFA.  I searched for "dark" and checked "content titles only".  The results were worthless.  

I realize you probably have little control over this.

Thanks. You're right in I have zero control. I just get the negatives of paying for this every month.

But when I searched, I got no results with Dark in the title but 251 posts with dark in the content including several about the TV show on the first page.

https://forums.footballguys.com/search/?&q=dark&type=forums_topic&nodes=4&search_and_or=or&sortby=relevancy

Did you not get that?

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Raging weasel said:

Yes

I'm out of ideas then Buddy. Sorry. Can you try it with other browsers and see?

And the problem is only on your android phone, right? 

Works on desktop?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2021 at 8:00 AM, AcerFC said:

Is there any way to take the top posters and active days stuff and move that to a rectangle at the top instead of on the right hand side. It makes reading the stuff tougher for me. 

If you are using AdBlock Plus or similar... you can have it block forums.footballguys.com##.ipsLayout_sidebarright

That'll remove that little bugger...

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Joe Bryant said:

Thanks. You're right in I have zero control. I just get the negatives of paying for this every month.

But when I searched, I got no results with Dark in the title but 251 posts with dark in the content including several about the TV show on the first page.

https://forums.footballguys.com/search/?&q=dark&type=forums_topic&nodes=4&search_and_or=or&sortby=relevancy

Did you not get that?

I only got two results when I searched titles only and neither were for that thread.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, shuke said:

I only got two results when I searched titles only and neither were for that thread.

That's weird. I get zero results when searching for "dark" and titles only.

But there is a thread here that should have been returned. https://forums.footballguys.com/topic/764323-dark-netflix-series/page/3/.   Thanks @Mister CIA

I get 251 results if you expand to titles and content body. Including several posts talking about the TV show (from threads without dark in the title)

Not sure why it's working for me but not you.

What browser are using and what device or computer?

Edited by Joe Bryant
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Joe Bryant said:

I know there are some google tricks to help on search too. Some of you guys may know those.

Search is one of the more painful features we have as it's consistently something everyone seems to hate but whenever I need it, it works exactly as it's intended to. So not sure. 

May be best to just assume search is not available if we're not able to get it going. Sorry. 

I've gotten used to relying on google for seaching the forums.  In Shuke's case, the following string sorted the thread he was looking for to the top of the list:  site:forums.footballguys.com tv show dark ... I'm not familiar with the show, but now I'm intrigued.

Because I use it somewhat regularly, as soon as I type "si" into the seach bar it autopoputates my last three or so forum searches, so all I have to do then is tap the end key and back over the most recent search and type in my new search criteria.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mister CIA said:

I've gotten used to relying on google for seaching the forums.  In Shuke's case, the following string sorted the thread he was looking for to the top of the list:  site:forums.footballguys.com tv show dark ... I'm not familiar with the show, but now I'm intrigued.

Because I use it somewhat regularly, as soon as I type "si" into the seach bar it autopoputates my last three or so forum searches, so all I have to do then is tap the end key and back over the most recent search and type in my new search criteria.

Thanks. I always just use the regular search from Invision but I thought lots of people used google for searching the forums. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2021 at 5:46 AM, Joe Bryant said:

I did see the popup asking to sign up for the email update that is on the main site and we'll get that removed. I know people won't like that. 

 

Any update on this? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, John123 said:

Any update on this? 

No. It'll likely be a February thing at soonest to dig into it. May wind up having to stay and be consistent with all the rest of the site. Which I'm sure everyone will hate. 

Edited by Joe Bryant
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Joe Bryant said:

That's weird. I get zero results when searching for "dark" and titles only.

But there is a thread here that should have been returned. https://forums.footballguys.com/topic/764323-dark-netflix-series/page/3/.   Thanks @Mister CIA

I get 251 results if you expand to titles and content body. Including several posts talking about the TV show (from threads without dark in the title)

Not sure why it's working for me but not you.

What browser are using and what device or computer?

Laptop/Chrome

Home/static

Link to post
Share on other sites

By the way Joe, I appreciate you looking into this even though you have little control. 

This is definitely "first world problem" kind of stuff.  If the worst thing that happens to me today is I can't find a topic about a TV show on my imaginary football message board, I'm pretty well off.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, shuke said:

By the way Joe, I appreciate you looking into this even though you have little control. 

This is definitely "first world problem" kind of stuff.  If the worst thing that happens to me today is I can't find a topic about a TV show on my imaginary football message board, I'm pretty well off.

Thanks. And you're welcome. I hear you on the first world problem and don't disagree. It's just frustrating to pay for stuff and it not work properly. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had some similar issues with none of the pages coming up in Chrome on W10 machine today. I cleared the cache and it took a little while, but the “New Content” did finally come up. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/18/2021 at 8:24 AM, Keerock said:

If you are using AdBlock Plus or similar... you can have it block forums.footballguys.com##.ipsLayout_sidebarright

That'll remove that little bugger...

 

Looks like this is back, at least for me :hot:

Not sure if my browser settings changed, or, if the site changed the layout ID to block.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Shatner! said:

Did anyone ever figure out  how to get rid of the circle of life logo?

So far as I can tell, it's permanent. Not bad on a laptop/desktop, but a mite large on a phone.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Doug B said:

So far as I can tell, it's permanent. Not bad on a laptop/desktop, but a mite large on a phone.

 

This forum is atrocious on phones because of the junk like this. It's too bad Joe has decided to abandon usability.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The recaptcha thing is not that bad. Just a little annoyance. I do still wish they could turn the default text size up a bit. I would think that would be a common setting but maybe it isn't. I can turn the screen zoom up on my phone but then most everything else is too big. That's the one thing to me that is pretty annoying. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2021 at 7:30 PM, Shatner! said:

Did anyone ever figure out  how to get rid of the circle of life logo?

If you have AdBlockPlus or similar, you can suppress the rendering of both the sidebar and the CAPTCHA logo thingy

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Keerock said:
On 2/8/2021 at 7:30 PM, Shatner! said:

Did anyone ever figure out  how to get rid of the circle of life logo?

If you have AdBlockPlus or similar, you can suppress the rendering of both the sidebar and the CAPTCHA logo thingy

https://forums.footballguys.com/topic/741380-board-upgrade-tips-faq-in-first-post/?do=findComment&comment=23203721

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Keerock said:

If you have AdBlockPlus or similar, you can suppress the rendering of both the sidebar and the CAPTCHA logo thingy

On Android chrome?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, shades said:

 

A little birdie told me that whoever sets up the forums ( @Joe Bryant ?) can go into Global Forum Settings, then, Topic Summary Settings, and change the position from "Sidebar" to "Under the First Post".

 

But that would require someone to actually care.

ouch man. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...