What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Biden Response to Coronavirus (1 Viewer)

For a while it did seem like we had beaten it,  even Dr OZ said so, and now he is blaming Washington for getting it wrong and closing schools.

Then came Delta and now Omicron.    It seems like covid doesn't give a crap about politics but people made it a political issue from the very beginning.
No one is shocked you are giving Biden a pass but thank you for confirming. So he didn’t know variants were possible, and you all thought Trump was unprepared? Why didn’t you give Trump a pass? 

No one is shocked you are giving Biden a pass but thank you for confirming. So he didn’t know variants were possible, and you all thought Trump was unprepared? Why didn’t you give Trump a pass? 
I am not giving anyone a pass.  Biden's response to Covid has been poor, so was Trump's.  I am not sure that helps our situation but apparently you think it is important.

Biden admin admitted to congress today that they have 50 million Covid tests just sitting in warehouses.  Wow.
Hey guys , there’s variants to this and Biden was just campaigning on regular Covid. We are only a couple years in, can’t expect him to get these tests out to our country yet. Enter But Trump here. 

the we didn't know there would be variants stance is poor.   not sure how one defends that.      

- had two shots, moderna booster soon. 

The Trump administration did a good job developing the vaccines. The Biden administration has done well getting the vaccine distributed. Almost everything else has been horrible.

I am not giving anyone a pass.  Biden's response to Covid has been poor, so was Trump's.  I am not sure that helps our situation but apparently you think it is important.

I find it hysterical that a certain poster is so obsessed with the laughing emoji that they cry at posts that they used to laugh at because they can't laugh at them.  I mean, I've had that person on ignore for a long time but we can't even ban the most obvious trolls.  Cool.

Anyway, to stay on track - Biden's response is basically to do what he did during the election - "hey, I'm not as bad at the other guy".  Testing is a disaster, hospitals are overrun and he spends time blaming other people.  He may luck in to Omicron being less severe but outside that I'm not sure what singular thing we can point to with Covid that he did really well. 

I find it hysterical that a certain poster is so obsessed with the laughing emoji that they cry at posts that they used to laugh at because they can't laugh at them.  I mean, I've had that person on ignore for a long time but we can't even ban the most obvious trolls.  Cool.

Anyway, to stay on track - Biden's response is basically to do what he did during the election - "hey, I'm not as bad at the other guy".  Testing is a disaster, hospitals are overrun and he spends time blaming other people.  He may luck in to Omicron being less severe but outside that I'm not sure what singular thing we can point to with Covid that he did really well. 
Biden has implored folks to get vaxxed from before he was POTUS.  If the country was more vaxxed, the issues we're seeing in the hospitals would be no where near as severe and we'd be able to live much more normally.  30% of our country is preventing us from getting back to normal life.  Luckily for the unvaxxed, this latest strain while super infectious appears to be milder so hopefully those who aren't vaxxed will get natural immunity and we'll be out of this nightmare. 

RavenFan said:
Biden has implored folks to get vaxxed from before he was POTUS.  If the country was more vaxxed, the issues we're seeing in the hospitals would be no where near as severe and we'd be able to live much more normally.  30% of our country is preventing us from getting back to normal life.  Luckily for the unvaxxed, this latest strain while super infectious appears to be milder so hopefully those who aren't vaxxed will get natural immunity and we'll be out of this nightmare. 
Sure and I have a few posts that put the unvaccinated by choice at #1 in the Covid “blame list”.  Doesn’t change my opinion that Biden could be doing more - more vaccine incentives and restrictions for those who don’t, better testing and contact tracing, more and free tests, better communication, having a plan for overwhelmed hospitals.  We’ve all known for over a year that there’s a lot of folks who in the current environment won’t get a vaccine.

Sure and I have a few posts that put the unvaccinated by choice at #1 in the Covid “blame list”.  Doesn’t change my opinion that Biden could be doing more - more vaccine incentives and restrictions for those who don’t, better testing and contact tracing, more and free tests, better communication, having a plan for overwhelmed hospitals.  We’ve all known for over a year that there’s a lot of folks who in the current environment won’t get a vaccine.
What exactly could Biden be doing different for hospitals?  Vaxx incentives were offered and he implored the unvaxxed to get vaxxed.  He tried mandates and gets called a dictator.  And this new variant just came about in the last few months.  Hospitals were fine dealing with the original covid and Delta thanks to those who did get vaxxed.  The most recent strain has pushed things to a level not seen before.  But once again, the vaxxed folks will save the rest of the country from a complete healthcare breakdown as soon as this burns through the country.  

Last edited by a moderator:
What exactly could Biden be doing different for hospitals?  Vaxx incentives were offered and he implored the unvaxxed to get vaxxed.  He tried mandates and gets called a dictator.  And this new variant just came about in the last few months.  Hospitals were fine dealing with the original covid and Delta thanks to those who did get vaxxed.  The most recent strain has pushed things to a level not seen before.  But once again, the vaxxed folks will save the rest of the country from a complete healthcare breakdown as soon as this burns through the country.  
For hospitals? Probably nothing. We are an unhealthy citizenry that makes uninformed decisions that align with what we want to hear.

In general? Testing and communication. I'm skeptical anything else would have been effective though. And even communication probably wouldn't have moved the needle. It'd just provide less gotcha traps. 

Mandates exacerbated healthcare worker shortages and now multiple states are experiencing critical shortages in up to 25% of their hospitals.  Those mandates did not better our country. 
The mandates were very successful at convincing a significant portion of hesitant folks to ultimately back down and get vaxxed.  That was a fantastic outcome for our country.

The mandates were very successful at convincing a significant portion of hesitant folks to ultimately back down and get vaxxed.  That was a fantastic outcome for our country.
And yet people are screaming that our hospitals are overwhelmed and healthcare staff is burnt out.  Success!

And yet people are screaming that our hospitals are overwhelmed and healthcare staff is burnt out.  Success!
The mandate was likely only a small contributor.  Much larger factor is the frustration of treating and watching people die that didn't need to if they had taken the vaccine.

AAABatteries said:

2000 dead yesterday and 1/3 of the states didn't report.  Even some that did had some interesting numbers like Florida reporting 3 deaths.

For hospitals? Probably nothing. We are an unhealthy citizenry that makes uninformed decisions that align with what we want to hear.

In general? Testing and communication. I'm skeptical anything else would have been effective though. And even communication probably wouldn't have moved the needle. It'd just provide less gotcha traps. 

I readily acknowledge I'm not in my lane when it comes to hospitals but let's be real - in the same way I firmly believe that most people would get a Covid vaccine if Covid were more deadly I also believe we would have a different reaction with something like hospitals if it were too.  China built a freaking hospital in like a week early in 2020.  We've had 2 years - things could have been done.  I'm not even suggesting specifics as I'm not knowledgeable to know what those should have been but I highly doubt in an even worse pandemic we would just throw up our hands and say, "sorry, hospital is full".  And don't get me wrong, I understand these things are complex and difficult but that's kind of the job when it comes to being POTUS.

I will say it again - COVID has threaded the needle to optimize deaths.  We have collectively just decided to accept the deaths we are getting.

The mandate was likely only a small contributor.  Much larger factor is the frustration of treating and watching people die that didn't need to if they had taken the vaccine.
Total speculation here.  Medical staff watch people die for faults of their own all the time. I know burnout is real, but removing staff isn't the answer.  I wish people could see that. Especially right now when covid positive staff is treating people in the hospitals. 

Stealthycat said:
second post of this thread ... can anyone say health and well being after hundreds of thousands more dead, tens of millions more sick, lack of testing, and covid surging ?

Its so weird to blame Biden for people not listening to him and getting vaxxed.

Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine, said a lack of federal orders for COVID-19 tests between January and September 2021 caused test manufacturers to begin reducing production. 

In Maine, she said, manufacturers laid off workers. 

“It appears the administration simply failed to anticipate our testing needs,” Collins told HHS official O’Connell, adding:

As a former assistant secretary of health recently pointed out, a lack of federal orders for tests between January and September of 2021 caused the manufacturers to start reducing their lines and lay workers off.

I don’t believe we are in the position we are in now due to a lack of funding, but rather a lack of planning. My question to you is, has any of this funding—this close to $83 billion that was supposed to be used for testing—been diverted for other purposes? 

“Testing remains a priority for this administration,” O’Connell replied. “All the work we’ve done on testing has been to promote the priorities of expanding the number of testing sites available, expanding the type of tests available for using in the United States, expanding the supply of tests in the United States, and [lowering] the costs of tests.”

O’Connell detailed government spending on state-based COVID-19 testing programs at schools, community testing sites for the uninsured, procuring testing supplies, and helping states to build and promote testing programs. 

“Some of the funds have been used for mitigation efforts,” she added. “For example, when children are crossing the [southern] border, one of our responsibilities that we have within HHS is to make sure that the children who are unaccompanied are cared for. And we used some of the funds to test those children and to separate them from COVID-negative children at the border.”

Appearing unsatisfied with O’Connell’s answer, Collins later pressed the HHS official over money “diverted from the testing budget to deal with the surge of people, including unaccompanied minors illegally crossing the southern border.” 

“Again, all of the funds, as they were appropriated to the American Rescue Plan, were for testing, contact tracing, and mitigation efforts,” O’Connell said. 

She said funds “were used to test unaccompanied children at the border and then to mitigate the COVID-positive cases so they wouldn’t enter the community and spread COVID.” 

“You’re still not answering my question,” Collins said. “I will tell you that our staff’s investigation found that $850 million out of the testing budget and another $850 million out of the allocation for the stockpile [of tests] were instead used to deal with the crisis at the southern border.” 

The Maine Republican drew a direct connection between the border crisis and the shortage of COVID-19 tests, saying: 

The fact remains that if we had the southern border under control, we would be using the $850 million designated for testing to buy more rapid tests. We would be using the money out of the stockpile, the $850 million, for the purposes for which it was intended. So I think that this is a problem that has contributed to the shortage of testing, the uncontrolled crisis at the border.

So they diverted testing funding for the border crisis, but didn't even use it to test those coming across the border.  You can't make this stuff up.  :doh:

😄

RavenFan said:
yep he did IMPLORE people to get vaxxed, except for the 900,000 illegal immigrants he let in our country.  

my cousin and fam is double shotted/boosted , had covid, they all got it again 2 days back

but Biden has promised / said multiple times that his administration was going to beat covid, that shots = low low chance to get the virus, you'd not have to wear a mask ... even went so far as to say

"During a July 2021 CNN town hall, U.S. President Joe Biden falsely stated that "You’re not going to get COVID if you have these vaccinations," and "If you’re vaccinated, you’re not going to be hospitalized, you’re not going to be in the ICU unit, and you’re not going to die."

so yeah ... this President has lied over and over .... he's got a lot to be blamed for

It's always amazing how certain posters are so familiar with the medical histories of their friends and family members, and that their medical histories just so happen to support the preconceived talking points that they hammer us with day in and day out.  It's really a remarkable coincidence.  

It's really not.  All of us have a large network of family, friends, and colleagues.  All of those people will have stories and histories.  Me bringing up one or four of those people is a very small subset of the group of people I know.  So it's not surprising that people can bring up anecdotal stories of people's experience with this virus.  We would be better served looking at data and overall trends though.

It's the same posters making the same stupid, tired points over and over again.  He'll be back tomorrow making the same argument no matter how times you explain it.

This is exactly why I labeled it the t-word like 2 years ago.  It's kind of one of only 2 explanations.

I readily acknowledge I'm not in my lane when it comes to hospitals but let's be real - in the same way I firmly believe that most people would get a Covid vaccine if Covid were more deadly I also believe we would have a different reaction with something like hospitals if it were too.  China built a freaking hospital in like a week early in 2020.  We've had 2 years - things could have been done.  I'm not even suggesting specifics as I'm not knowledgeable to know what those should have been but I highly doubt in an even worst pandemic which would just throw up our hands and say, "sorry, hospital is full".  And don't get me wrong, I understand these things are complex and difficult but that's kind of the job when it comes to being POTUS.

I will say it again - COVID has threaded the needle to optimize deaths.  We have collectively just decided to accept the deaths we are getting.
I share your 'not in my lane' perspective and don't flatly disagree with anything you wrote. You're probably more right than wrong, which is a good place to be when expressing a relatively uninformed opinion. And to provide my own uninformed perspective - I am highly skeptical that even if capital resources were thrown at something akin to the mobile hospital China built on essentially a whim that we'd then have human resources to utilize said facility. 

I know you were not replying to me but while I agree that is weird, I do think we can "blame" him for not anticipating that people wouldn't listen to him and have better contingency plans in place.  I could come up with some inexact analogy right now but will save you all from the pain of that.  Let's just say I personally think there's some blame that should go his way for that.

I share your 'not in my lane' perspective and don't flatly disagree with anything you wrote. You're probably more right than wrong, which is a good place to be when expressing a relatively uninformed opinion. And to provide my own uninformed perspective - I am highly skeptical that even if capital resources were thrown at something akin to the mobile hospital China built on essentially a whim that we'd then have human resources to utilize said facility. 
I hesitate taking this discussion too much further as it may come across that our healthcare folks have been negligent.  These guys have spent 2 years dealing with this #### and IMO are heroes.  Full stop.

Now to reply to your thoughts - I know gian and Term have expressed that about lack of human resources - but to me that kind of falls in to my qualifier of eventually accepting the deaths if we assume that nobody else will get vaccinated.  Granted, I don't know if any of us will know how many deaths can be directly attributed to overrun hospitals but it seems we've done very little (that I'm aware of) to ensure that wouldn't happen. 

And obviously, the number one thing that individuals can do is get vaccinated and it fixes most everything else.  I just think contingency plans could have been improved upon.  Let's say nobody else gets vaccinated and we continue to have spikes in cases/hospitalizations and deaths.  At some point we would reach a time where somebody with no knowledge could be trained to take care of Covid patients. 

And this just addresses hospitals.  We also have issues with quality masks, ventilation and testing that are issues we could have address if we anticipated having a stubborn part of the populace that wouldn't get vaccinated.  I've never worked in any medical field but I've worked triage in technical areas.  One question that is key is "what happens if we don't do X."  Somebody should have been asking - What happens if this 30-40% of our population NEVER gets vaccinated?  What do we do then?

I'm sorry for your loss.  I hope they had their affairs in order.

no loss  - they're younger (40's) and active, they'll get it, get over it, it'll be like a bad flu and they'll move on

if they were over 60 years old, very obese, pre-existing conditions ... they'd be at a risk absolutely

but all the above happens with or without the shots ... they thought Biden was telling the truth

he wasn't

and also probably made-up.

I'd guess everyone on here knows vaxxed people who've gotten covid - even though Joe promised we wouldn't

Funny how people resort to grasping for anything to justify a position (even accusing people of making things up) because the truth (in this case, shots haven't worked) is too hard to realize

more shotted we've ever had .... and more covid than we've ever had ... hmmmmmmmm

so again my company is sending out all these emails on covid - free masks, free testing, tracing etc etc

all of my company's employee's are supposed to be shotted - lets pretend 95% are

why then should we worry about covid? we have the vaccines - the shots - we're protected against the virus aren't we ? We won't get covid bad, that's been promised over and over 

so why the freak out? worst case I get covid and am sick for a day or two, right ?  

so again my company is sending out all these emails on covid - free masks, free testing, tracing etc etc

all of my company's employee's are supposed to be shotted - lets pretend 95% are

why then should we worry about covid? we have the vaccines - the shots - we're protected against the virus aren't we ? We won't get covid bad, that's been promised over and over 

so why the freak out? worst case I get covid and am sick for a day or two, right ?  
Listen you.   I don't know how many times I have to tell you to stop showing total disregard for the grandmas out there.  Why are you against old people?   Sheesh

Listen you.   I don't know how many times I have to tell you to stop showing total disregard for the grandmas out there.  Why are you against old people?   Sheesh

so getting the shots don't stop me from getting or transmitting covid ?

and grandma has the shots and boosters too so she's not going to get sick either .... so ..... why are we worried about her ?

I mean really everyone shotted should be ok - right ? I mean we might get a little sick but not bad sick, right ?

It's always amazing how certain posters are so familiar with the medical histories of their friends and family members, and that their medical histories just so happen to support the preconceived talking points that they hammer us with day in and day out.  It's really a remarkable coincidence.  
It’s equally crazy how posters who actually work in hospitals uniformly discredit those same talking points. Must be a conspiracy.

Where I work at least, nobody is lamenting the loss of the few anti-vax stalwarts. We’re much more enthusiastic about overcoming barriers to vaccination amongst healthcare workers and patients.

I hesitate taking this discussion too much further as it may come across that our healthcare folks have been negligent.  These guys have spent 2 years dealing with this #### and IMO are heroes.  Full stop.

Now to reply to your thoughts - I know gian and Term have expressed that about lack of human resources - but to me that kind of falls in to my qualifier of eventually accepting the deaths if we assume that nobody else will get vaccinated.  Granted, I don't know if any of us will know how many deaths can be directly attributed to overrun hospitals but it seems we've done very little (that I'm aware of) to ensure that wouldn't happen. 

And obviously, the number one thing that individuals can do is get vaccinated and it fixes most everything else.  I just think contingency plans could have been improved upon.  Let's say nobody else gets vaccinated and we continue to have spikes in cases/hospitalizations and deaths.  At some point we would reach a time where somebody with no knowledge could be trained to take care of Covid patients. 

And this just addresses hospitals.  We also have issues with quality masks, ventilation and testing that are issues we could have address if we anticipated having a stubborn part of the populace that wouldn't get vaccinated.  I've never worked in any medical field but I've worked triage in technical areas.  One question that is key is "what happens if we don't do X."  Somebody should have been asking - What happens if this 30-40% of our population NEVER gets vaccinated?  What do we do then?
Your point is well taken, but I think you’re underestimating  how dysfunctional our healthcare system was before the pandemic. Covid has exposed many of the problems with medical care operating like a business, and added several layers of complexity through failings of our public health infrastructure. Nobody went into healthcare expecting this sh!t show.

Users who are viewing this thread