What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why do some crimes get ignored and some get massive coverage? (1 Viewer)

parasaurolophus

Footballguy
There was a car theft near me Wednesday. Then the thief flipped the stolen car. A woman stopped to help and he threw her to the ground and stole her car. He crashed her car and broke into multiple homes trying to steal another car. Killed two elderly people, assaulted another elderly woman, tried to shoot another one but something went wrong with the gun. Both killings were done with the victims own guns.

A deputy eventually exchanged gunfire and shot the suspect. The suspect fled to the woods. The police used a drone to then look for him and found him dead in the woods. 

Link

The link I gave doesnt include some of these details that I got from a local paywalled site. I first heard about this story today and I live nearby. Finding detailed information about it is pretty much impossible. So much here to me that should have made this a huge story. Car thefts right now are at insane rates. There is a gun control argument in there(good guys with guns led to poorer outcome here). There is the technology aspect. But basically radio silence. 

I was watching the HBO show The Undoing. There was a murder in that show and in the show it became a huge story. Reporters lined up outside the school that victim's child attended. I commented to my wife how fake it was. That people get murdered all the time and there isnt coverage like this. She pointed out though how every once in a while the media does latch onto a random crime that becomes a massive story. 

Why does this happen? 

Usually when the victim is an attractive white lady or a cute little kid.
This explains some, but plenty of stories become big national stories that dont fit that. 

Even removing religious motivation, racial issues, etc. There are still plenty. 

Doe sthe reliance on the AP cause this? Is there a long checkist of big hit items? Is it an algorithm? 

Not being a smart-###. Why is this inherently political? Why has nobody asked that question yet? I think I know the answer.

Not being a smart-###. Why is this inherently political? Why has nobody asked that question yet? I think I know the answer.
Is it?  I would assume sometimes it is...depending on the publication.  But often its more...what does the reader/viewer want to see.  What will get more clicks...sell more ads...?

Hmmm...those are not a big deal these days.  Oh sure some pretty girl with some seedy backstory were once the thing, now what the media focuses is on a minority victim from a police officer/white male.   That is about all we here about.  It use to be about using sex to sell, now it is highly political. 

Hmmm...those are not a big deal these days.  Oh sure some pretty girl with some seedy backstory were once the thing, now what the media focuses is on a minority victim from a police officer/white male.   That is about all we here about.  It use to be about using sex to sell, now it is highly political. 
The media almost never focuses on a minority victim. For that rare event to happen, either black leaders in the community in question need to draw attention to it by a protest of some sort (and the media attention is attracted by the protest) or the crime by police needs to be clearly captured on video, and even then there probably needs to be some kind of major protest or angry reaction before the media ever gets involved. 

Otherwise crimes against minorities remain almost completely invisible in our society. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually thought about this, but then figured if I have to think about it, best to put it in the PSF. The first two replies mentioning skin color sealed the deal that I made the right choice(not saying I disagree with them nevessarily, just saying if something is going to get a skin color reply, probably belongs here)

Also if a black person shoots a white or hispanic say in in a road rage headlines are "Man shoots another man in road rage incident"  If a white shoots a black person "White man shoots black man in road rage"  Same thing with police.  A black cop shot a black guy last year in my town.  It was a blurb on the local news. White cop does the same and it is national news.

Not sure why the media does that.   

The media almost never focuses on a minority victim. For that rare event to happen, either black leaders in the community in question need to draw attention to it by a protest of some sort (and the media attention is attracted by the protest) or the crime by police needs to be clearly captured on video, and even then there probably needs to be some kind of major protest or angry reaction before the media ever gets involved. 

Otherwise crimes against minorities remain almost completely invisible in our society. 
Google News search of generic "shooting victim"

The first 8 results, 7 blacks and 1 mass shooting.

‘I want my son back’: Mother of shooting victim in Suffolk seeks answers

-          Black child who was shot

Dorchester shooting victim identified as Brandon Williams

-          Black male victim

Shooting victim found dead inside Orlando apartment, police said

-          Black male victim

Bloomingdale shooting at Indian Lakes Hotel leaves 1 dead, several hurt; James McGill Jr identified as victim

-          Mass shooting at hotel, one dead white male

Riverdale shooting victim Nicholas Dukes' family seeks help; FBI offers award for information leading to arrest of Joshua Bobbitt, Nicholas Morris

-          Victim black male

Police investigate shooting death in downtown Springfield, victim identified

-          Black male

CBS Boston

32-Year-Old Man Identified As Victim In Fatal Dorchester Shooting On Thursday

-          Repeat, Black male

-           

Candlelight Vigil for Shooting Victim

-          Black teenage child

How many local shootings make national news? I couldn’t tell you when there was a shooting in my home town honestly. 

Regarding the OP's story, my guess is that the status of the deceased victims (elderly) and the suspect (dead) were large factors in the story's lack of prominence.

I was thinking about this when I saw Jemele Hill’s tweet this morning about the victims involving Andy Reid’s son.  It’s a tragedy no matter who’s involved,  Knowing Hill though, I knew the way she was spinning it.

Here's the News Flowchart (post 2016):

Can it be politically driven and make people choose a side?

Yes = National

No = Local

I just learned that conversation hearts candies are no longer the conversation hearts I've loved for years.  What Brach's is trying to do should be a crime.  Yet this too will be ignored.  :kicksrock:

Because generally it's minority on minority crime. And thats why it isn't covered. 

Completely false.  The BLM/Antifa riots alone prove you wrong.

Regarding the OP's story, my guess is that the status of the deceased victims (elderly) and the suspect (dead) were large factors in the story's lack of prominence.
The suspect being dead often has a magnifying effect when killed by police. 

To your first point though that might ne true the more I think about it. Especially as I think more about how so many gun deaths are elderly suicides and I bet most people dont even know that seniors are the highest rate of suicide. 

I actually thought about this, but then figured if I have to think about it, best to put it in the PSF. The first two replies mentioning skin color sealed the deal that I made the right choice(not saying I disagree with them nevessarily, just saying if something is going to get a skin color reply, probably belongs here)
I agree that it belongs in the PSF even if on first blush it doesn't. The question is how did the media get that way? How did we let ourselves get that way?

Well, certainly part of that is because of the unprecedented, massive increase in overall murders in both big cities and small towns in 2020.  At least here you don't get big headlines out of a typical murder, unless it's a child, then it gets big news.  Other crimes like carjackings have gone through the roof.  Seems to be the new popular sport in Chicago.

When these things become ubiquitous and you villainize those who prevent these crimes all these crimes become part of the normal tableau in these places.  It's sad and infuriating.

media is very picky about what they report

they have to ask questions like "does it meet agenda" and "does it play to our core audience"

you can't report negative things depending on gender, race, sexual preference, color of skin, nationality, religious affiliation etc ..... its all subject to who'd reporting

news isn't based on reporting what's happening - its to generate a response now, to feed an agenda etc

Well, certainly part of that is because of the unprecedented, massive increase in overall murders in both big cities and small towns in 2020.  At least here you don't get big headlines out of a typical murder, unless it's a child, then it gets big news.  Other crimes like carjackings have gone through the roof.  Seems to be the new popular sport in Chicago.

When these things become ubiquitous and you villainize those who prevent these crimes all these crimes become part of the normal tableau in these places.  It's sad and infuriating.
This should be its own topic. Crime is one of the biggest issues facing our country today, if not the biggest. 

There was a car theft near me Wednesday. Then the thief flipped the stolen car. A woman stopped to help and he threw her to the ground and stole her car. He crashed her car and broke into multiple homes trying to steal another car. Killed two elderly people, assaulted another elderly woman, tried to shoot another one but something went wrong with the gun. Both killings were done with the victims own guns.
BTW, if he'd have done it like this it would be all over the news.  And he'd have never flipped it to begin with.

Hey theres one guy who said he couldn't see it from his back window so therefore it didnt happen
I remember that guy too!  In fact, pretty sure there were TWO of them who said similar things.  I think one went for a walk around his neighborhood and didn't see anything so that means there were no riots.

Already 200+ in Chicago in '21.  

There were no BLM/Antifa riots. 
Link

At least eight people were arrested in Portland on Wednesday after rioters damaged both federal and private property, police said.

Dozens of protesters took to the streets of Oregon's largest city following the inauguration of President Joe Biden. Some people were seen carrying Black Lives Matter signs, while others held banners with anti-Biden or anti-police slogans.

There were no BLM/Antifa riots. 
This position is indefensible after watching video of what happened in grant park. Coordinated attack on police. Protesters changing clothes, dumping out bags of frozen water bottles, and fireworks, yeah, sorry. These groups work together. 

I am sure though it will be dismissed as just a few bad apples or completely unrelated. 

Even the mayor and police superintendant couldnt wait to blame outside agitators, vigilantes, etc. Even though you can clearly see what is happening. 

This position is indefensible after watching video of what happened in grant park. Coordinated attack on police. Protesters changing clothes, dumping out bags of frozen water bottles, and fireworks, yeah, sorry. These groups work together. 

I am sure though it will be dismissed as just a few bad apples or completely unrelated. 

Even the mayor and police superintendant couldnt wait to blame outside agitators, vigilantes, etc. Even though you can clearly see what is happening. 
There remains no evidence whatsoever that the Black Lives Matter organization has led any rioting. There remains no evidence  whatsoever that there is any connection between BLM, which has become a large scale movement, and Antifa, which may be as tiny as a few thousand people nationwide. 

Therefore, labeling any riots as “BLM/Antifa”, is a deliberate fabrication. 

There remains no evidence whatsoever that the Black Lives Matter organization has led any rioting. There remains no evidence  whatsoever that there is any connection between BLM, which has become a large scale movement, and Antifa, which may be as tiny as a few thousand people nationwide. 

Therefore, labeling any riots as “BLM/Antifa”, is a deliberate fabrication. 
BLM would never put their name on a riot situation. It would ruin the cause if they endorsed what happened last summer in US cities. I stated this before. There are 2 facts though. Anifta is too loosely run and has many lone wolf types that can do whatever.

1. BLM does not  sanction any riots, looting or destruction and burning of property.

2. People who have attended BLM movements have rioted, looted and burned property.

Like anything those who caused the problems under the guise of any type of movement will be linked to that movement.  90% of the people on Jan 6 were probably there for a peaceful protest, yet they get linked to the people who caused the problems. When problems get attached to a movement that is what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread