What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WSL 2021 Draft Thread (1 Viewer)

Done. Thanks so much for sniping my predraft pick.  :hot:  

I'll probably regret passing on Thomas ... but I have zero confidence in Hill as a starting QB and zero confidence that Payton won't try to make it work regardless. Meanwhile I don't see too many destinations Jones could land where he wouldn't be a consensus top-10 RB. Now watch him become a Jaguar ...

Done. Thanks so much for sniping my predraft pick.  :hot:  

I'll probably regret passing on Thomas ... but I have zero confidence in Hill as a starting QB and zero confidence that Payton won't try to make it work regardless. Meanwhile I don't see too many destinations Jones could land where he wouldn't be a consensus top-10 RB. Now watch him become a Jaguar ...
my bad....I sniffed Thomas and Jones.....but on top of the things you said about Thomas, it sounds like he is also having pretty major ankle surgery....guess he has two things jacked up in the same ankle....not knowing where Jones could end up had me go with a pretty safe option in Metcalf who has a terrific QB....

1.09 Derrick Henry RB TEN

Looked at the RB's predraft and it didn't take too long to look down the list and start wrinkling my nose, so wanted to target one in the first cause if I wait till 3.09 or later to get an RB2 the pickens may get slim.  Wish Henry added a little more PPR pop but he is solid RB1 either way.  Pick came down to him or Elliot and I drafted Elliot a bunch last year and it didn't sit well with me.  I sometimes hold grudges to my detriment. Think Henry has hit his ceiling and I am actually expecting some regression, but a solid start.

2.08 DK Metcalf WR SEA

Mentioned above the other options and why DK here.  Heading into last year I almost had Metcalf pegged in my mind as one of those big body just toss it up to him a couple times a game guy.  I wasn't sure if he was going to be a high volume consistent week in week out guy.  But then he had a pretty solid game in the playoffs two years ago and I changed my view a little and had him on several teams last year.  He still isn't elite yet in terms of targets (WR16 last year) or receptions (WR19) but I think those could increase and he can get even better as a player. 

Was really pleased with the players available at the 2/3 turn. It was really difficult to make my decision, but went with Allen Robinson who averaged 100 receptions per season for the past two years as a highly targeted WR on a poorly quarterbacked team. Hoping for a heavy workload (perhaps less targets) but teamed with a more efficient QB.

Tyler Lockett is likely the #2 instead of the 1A in Seattle, but their run game and offensive line is such a hot mess that I expect perhaps the same number of targets in 2021 and hopefully still teamed with Russell Wilson.

Was really pleased with the players available at the 2/3 turn. It was really difficult to make my decision, but went with Allen Robinson who averaged 100 receptions per season for the past two years as a highly targeted WR on a poorly quarterbacked team. Hoping for a heavy workload (perhaps less targets) but teamed with a more efficient QB.

Tyler Lockett is likely the #2 instead of the 1A in Seattle, but their run game and offensive line is such a hot mess that I expect perhaps the same number of targets in 2021 and hopefully still teamed with Russell Wilson.
I know it's early - really early - but I'm shocked at the value available in the #40-50 overall range this year. Normally in the equivalent of the 4th round of a 12-teamer you're looking at committee backs and WRs with either lower ceilings or lots of question marks. But Dobbins? McLaurin? Both of the Bucs' stud WRs? If as a group the 3rd round of this draft outperforms the 2nd round I won't be the least bit surprised.

1.08 Saquon Barkley NYG RB4 - After Cook you can throw the next 6 names in a hat and draw one IMO. All the talent in the world and with almost a full year to recover from his ACL, the biggest question mark will be whether Jones can make a leap in Year 3.

2.09 Aaron Jones GB/UFA RB13 - Without a flex I don't love starting off RB-RB, but Jones was head and shoulders above the rest of the names on the board at this spot. Although IMO he's not likely to be back in green and gold, he should have his pick of destinations as the top all-around back on the FA market. Led the league in yards after contact last season, so his production shouldn't be dependent on the quality of OL at his new home.

3.08 Chris Godwin TB/UFA WR15 - Unlike Jones, I do expect Godwin to be back with his current team in '21 as the Bucs try to run it back one more time. As an elite route runner he should mesh even better with TB12 in Year 2, and I expect some normalization of the TD gap between him and Evans.

There was a time when one waited on QBs. Those days are over. I don't care where Watson plays.

This two points per for TEs is a neat wrinkle.

I know it's early - really early - but I'm shocked at the value available in the #40-50 overall range this year. Normally in the equivalent of the 4th round of a 12-teamer you're looking at committee backs and WRs with either lower ceilings or lots of question marks. But Dobbins? McLaurin? Both of the Bucs' stud WRs? If as a group the 3rd round of this draft outperforms the 2nd round I won't be the least bit surprised.

1.08 Saquon Barkley NYG RB4 - After Cook you can throw the next 6 names in a hat and draw one IMO. All the talent in the world and with almost a full year to recover from his ACL, the biggest question mark will be whether Jones can make a leap in Year 3.

2.09 Aaron Jones GB/UFA RB13 - Without a flex I don't love starting off RB-RB, but Jones was head and shoulders above the rest of the names on the board at this spot. Although IMO he's not likely to be back in green and gold, he should have his pick of destinations as the top all-around back on the FA market. Led the league in yards after contact last season, so his production shouldn't be dependent on the quality of OL at his new home.

3.08 Chris Godwin TB/UFA WR15 - Unlike Jones, I do expect Godwin to be back with his current team in '21 as the Bucs try to run it back one more time. As an elite route runner he should mesh even better with TB12 in Year 2, and I expect some normalization of the TD gap between him and Evans.
5 TE's in the first 23 picks including 3 in the first 4 picks will contribute to stuff falling where it normally wouldn't.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Godwin in the 3rd is great value unless Brady retired tomorrow and the waterboy starts at QB.

I was hoping he'd fall but will gladly settle for Montgomery and hope the bears o line improves a bit. He started to look like a force in the last half of 2020. Hope that continues. 

Drafting 2 RBs early is so last decade but I'm good with Mahones, Zeke and Monty.

By position compared to 2020 WSL, QBs are the same, RBs one less, WRs one more and TEs the same. Very close to a year ago at this point.

1.10 Jonathan Taylor - I think at the very least the Rivers to Wentz switch is an even swap for the Colts and Taylor. Love Taylor behind arguably the best o-line in the NFL. Thought he really started showing his talents the last quarter of the season.

2.07 Kyle Pitts - too early for him just because of uncertainty of where he ends up. If he ends up with the right coach he will be a huge match up problem. With 2pts per reception I think I can still get value out of him. 

3.10 Terry McLaurin - as discussed there was a huge talent pool at this point in the draft. McLaurin has put up very good numbers with marginal qb talent. If WFT gets a QB that is above mediocre, I can him getting the numbers to put him as a top 7-8 WR

4.07 Lamar Jackson - Didn't think I would be going QB here, but feel Lamar, barring injury, is a lock for top 4 QB with his rushing numbers and I wasn't thrilled with the QB crop that would probably make it back in the 5th.

4.10 Norseman  Thomas, Logan WAS TE

Grrrr. I was probably going Kyler at 4.09 regardless, but it helped I was reasonably confident Thomas would make it back to me in the 5th. Nice pick.

1.13 - Ekeler, RB - At the time I was thrilled with this pick.  In hindsight he's never had that many rushing yards.  TDs could be a concern too.  The 80+ receipts were too good to pass up.  Gave strong consideration to Hill and Diggs here.  Problem is that I usually like the WRs available at the 3/4 turn in these leagues.  The start of the first round was shocking and something we've never seen before.  

2.4 - Andrews, TE - I was locked in on either Andrews or Ridley here.  Andrews+Lamb or Ridley+Hockerson.  In hindsight I don't have a preference.  Andrews had a crappy year and missed two games and still was the 4th best TE on a ppg basis.  Ridley could end up being the best WR. 

3.13 - Harris (R), RB - If he is the first back taken and doesn't go to someone stupid like Cleveland, he's a 2nd round pick in SSL.  If you can get the best rookie RB in the late 3rd you end up with a leg up on most everyone else.  Could very well finish in the same area as Taylor or Swift OR I could end up passing on Edename.  Woods, Dobbins, and Edwards would have been a consideration if available and were excellent picks.    Only other consideration here was Lamb.

4.4 - Lamb, WR - Blew away my expectations last year.  I thought Cooper and Gallup and Elliot and no training camp would nueter him.  74 receipt as a rookie in that situation was strong, especially with Dak out.  I think he's the top dog in Dallas this year and it's not even close.  Sorta of considered QB here but meh...it's survivor, I just need some to post a double digit score each week.

Was hoping to make turn, but have outdoor work to do now for a friend with tree limbs down. Considering multiple positions so I can’t really pre-draft. Back when job complete.

Team rzrback77 after five rounds

RB - Melvin Gordon RB24 - decent receiving back who finished as RB13 in this league a year ago. 

WR - I love to get several top tier players at the WR position in this league, even though it is a deep position and best-ball. I love my top three players here:

1. WR11 Alvin Robinson has produced admirably with terrible QBs the past two seasons and hopefully gets signed on a team with an improved QB and continues to receive lots of targets
  2. WR12 Tyler Lockett has always produced even without the high targets, hoping that Russell stays in Seattle and would have considered Russell at the 4/5 turn but he was gone
  3. WR25 Juju Smith-Schuster is my second free agent and along with Robinson should get nice deals.
TE1 Travis Kelce - top targeted TE with Mahomes at QB, sign me up at two ppr. Shunned taking an RB as injuries occur more often with RBs than with receivers

I am happy with this start and looking forward to the continuation of this draft

I think @Aaron Rudnicki got a steal with Henry.
Possibly but Hooper’s 2020 is a floor for him given the uncertainty of free agency. He could always end up somewhere with a low wattage or more crowded passing game. If the Chargers sign him long term that’s probably a win for Aaron but Henry didn’t have a high weekly ceiling last year even though Ekeler was out for a good part of the year

I think @Aaron Rudnicki got a steal with Henry.
I (obviously) am a huge fan of Hunter Henry’s talent, but he also has a long list of injuries, missing games every year and one entire season. In the past three seasons that he has played, he has not yet produced equal to his ADP. I am hopeful that he signs a nice contract, has a good fit, and finally puts it all together.

4.09 Kyler Murray ARI QB5 - Past experience in survivors has taught me that it's fine to wait on QB or TE, but rarely on both - and there's no one who stands out at the latter position at all for me here. Kyler finished QB5 last season despite spending the last few weeks as obviously hobbled as Kirk Gibson in the '88 World Series. At his size, injury is more than likely an ongoing risk, but at full health he's one of a small handful of names with overall QB1 upside.

5.08 Tee Higgins CIN WR27 - Another thing survivors have taught me: don't worry too much about rankings or ADP this early on ... go get your guys. Jefferson's raw numbers overshadowed the rest of the 2020 draft class, but Higgins finished WR28 as a rook despite half a season spent with luminaries like Brandon Allen and Ryan Finley. With a year of experience and a full 16 from Burrow, I see Higgins with top-15 upside and would be surprised if he's not consistently drafted as a WR2 by August.

Sigmund Bloom said:
Possibly but Hooper’s 2020 is a floor for him given the uncertainty of free agency. He could always end up somewhere with a low wattage or more crowded passing game. If the Chargers sign him long term that’s probably a win for Aaron but Henry didn’t have a high weekly ceiling last year even though Ekeler was out for a good part of the year
Yeah. I’m not even that high on him but felt he was close to BPA and a bit safer than my RB2 options. 

rzrback77 said:
  1. WR11 Alvin Robinson has produced admirably with terrible QBs the past two seasons and hopefully gets signed on a team with an improved QB and continues to receive lots of targets
I think a franchise tag/holdout is a strong possibility here. 

- Another thing survivors have taught me: don't worry too much about rankings or ADP this early on ... go get your guys. Jefferson's raw numbers overshadowed the rest of the 2020 draft class, but Higgins finished WR28 as a rook despite half a season spent with luminaries like Brandon Allen and Ryan Finley. With a year of experience and a full 16 from Burrow, I see Higgins with top-15 upside and would be surprised if he's not consistently drafted as a WR2 by August.
I'll say the same about Aiyuk

Higgins, Aiyuk, and Mostert were some disappointing snipes this round. And I don't like the RB situation at all but I'm not going to chase/reach either.

1.16 - Hopkins, DeAndre ARI WR: Here's hoping for one more year!

2.1 - Swift, D'Andre DET RB: He appears to be hooked up to the right coaching staff.

3.16 - Goedert, Dallas PHI TE: The Colts' scheme used TEs pretty effectively, and hopefully Ertz is out of the picture.

4.1 - Watson, Deshaun HOU QB: As good as he is, he's still underrated.

5.16 - Cooks, Brandin HOU WR: All he does is produce.

6.1 - Chark, D.J. JAC WR: Hopefully Lawrence will finally unlock the potential.

Lots of hope on the roster. But whatcha gonna do? :shrug:

Snipped by BNB!   :hot:    Wanted to stack Stafford with Woods.

Have to settle for Ryan with Ridley.

One of the best, and worst, aspects of this early draft is the murkiness around many players once we get outside the studs.  It's one thing to know the situation and expect a rebound year, it adds another layer to project a trade or release after a down year.

Yet there i go with Ertz. I think he's a LOT better player than he showed last year and fully expect him to not be in Philly next year. It seems likely that he'll get a better QB and offense (Seattle or green bay?), but we don't know. 

Yet there i go with Ertz. I think he's a LOT better player than he showed last year and fully expect him to not be in Philly next year. It seems likely that he'll get a better QB and offense (Seattle or green bay?), but we don't know. 
Buffalo?

5.10 Cortland Sutton - Homer pick but I still love his talent and if Denver gets a QB that can distribute then the WR and TE talent could present some serious issues 

6. 07 Will Fuller - hope Watson stays or this could be a fairly worthless pick

1.09 Derrick Henry RB5 TEN

Looked at the RB's predraft and it didn't take too long to look down the list and start wrinkling my nose, so wanted to target one in the first cause if I wait till 3.09 or later to get an RB2 the pickens may get slim.  Wish Henry added a little more PPR pop but he is solid RB1 either way.  Pick came down to him or Elliot and I drafted Elliot a bunch last year and it didn't sit well with me.  I sometimes hold grudges to my detriment. Think Henry has hit his ceiling and I am actually expecting some regression, but a solid start.

2.08 DK Metcalf WR6 SEA

Mentioned above the other options and why DK here.  Heading into last year I almost had Metcalf pegged in my mind as one of those big body just toss it up to him a couple times a game guy.  I wasn't sure if he was going to be a high volume consistent week in week out guy.  But then he had a pretty solid game in the playoffs two years ago and I changed my view a little and had him on several teams last year.  He still isn't elite yet in terms of targets (WR16 last year) or receptions (WR19) but I think those could increase and he can get even better as a player. 

3.09 Clyde Edwards-Helaire RB KC19

Talent and opportunity. As kind of indicated in this draft his disappointing season will lead most to have more questions than anything else, but I believe he will establish himself as the lead dog and represent value if he stays in the RB19 area.  His return/response in the SB was encouraging. No other real considerations here.

4.08 Kenny Golladay WR22 DET

Uber talented. Off season should be interesting but his skills translate. Injuries in rearview. Liked this pick here as WR22.

5.09 Antonio Brown WR28 TBB

Talent is kind of my theme so far so that continues here. Not a huge fan of the person but his talent as a player cannot be ignored, especially considering where he landed, the fact that they want him back, and having Brady in your corner can't be underestimated when it comes to keeping him in check. If one of the other WR's leave, that's gravy as I like him even as the WR3 on this team, as Brady should dial him up and get him involved weekly. Sniffed Sutton here but injury and unsettled QB situation scared me off.

6.08 Tyler Boyd WR36 CIN

Was having a great start with Burrow and expect that to resume next fall.  

5.10 Cortland Sutton - Homer pick but I still love his talent and if Denver gets a QB that can distribute then the WR and TE talent could present some serious issues 

6. 07 Will Fuller - hope Watson stays or this could be a fairly worthless pick
Think Fuller is a free agent.....so it may not matter about Watson

Would not be the worst place, he has done well even with the Bears’ poor QB play.
more concerned about the holdout than the team. lot could happen between now and September though. he's proven that he can produce no matter who is at QB, i agree.

more concerned about the holdout than the team. lot could happen between now and September though. he's proven that he can produce no matter who is at QB, i agree.
Doh, you are absolutely correct. His best hope is that the Bears let him go in FA, but a tag is a real possibility and after reading a bit, a holdout is almost a certainty with the tag. 

Snipped by BNB!   :hot:    Wanted to stack Stafford with Woods.

Have to settle for Ryan with Ridley.
I have to ask as I am not one who is keen on stacking in early off-season drafts. In this most odd QB off-season, is it a given that Ryan stays in Atlanta? Would you have drafted Ryan regardless or did you select him primarily for the stack?

Update on the comparison of this year to last year --- through the 89th pick

1. QBs in 21 = 13, four more than a year ago
  2. RBs in 21 = 27, four less than a year ago
  3. WRs in 21 = 36, same as a year ago
  4. TEs in 21 = 13, same as a year ago 

I have to ask as I am not one who is keen on stacking in early off-season drafts. In this most odd QB off-season, is it a given that Ryan stays in Atlanta? Would you have drafted Ryan regardless or did you select him primarily for the stack?
Yes, for the stack.   Like Stafford he is a good player that might benifet from a change in OC's.

Team rzrback77 after seven rounds

QB15 Kirk Cousins drafted at 7.1 - lots of questions in this tier and the ones below here, so I wanted to get a QB on board at the 6/7 turn, considered going back to back and then avoid this position going forward, but I really needed another RB as I had waited too long there and forgot about Gordon's DUI that is likely to get him suspended for a few games.

RB - Melvin Gordon RB24 drafted at 5.1 - Going heavy receiver led me down the path of hoping for RB2 types. Gordon is a decent receiving back who finished as RB13 in this league a year ago, but as I stated above I forgot about the DUI.

RB - Kenyan Drake - RB30 who finished at RB15 in 2020, but now is a free agent. His career path greatly improved in the desert, but not sure of the direction the arrow is pointing now. He was third on my wish list here, but Ronald Jones and then Fournette were both taken just ahead of me.

WR - I love to get several top tier players at the WR position in this league, even though it is a deep position and best-ball. I love my top three players here:

WR11 Alvin Robinson drafted at 2.16 has produced admirably with terrible QBs the past two seasons (WR9 last season) and hopefully gets signed on a team with an improved QB and continues to receive lots of targets. He could be franchised and since Chicago has little cap room, they are not likely to sign him long term. As @Aaron Rudnicki reminded me, Robinson is a potential hold-out and that is not what you want with a top pick in a survivor draft.

WR12 Tyler Lockett drafted at 3.1 has always produced in Seattle (WR8 last season), even without the high targets, hoping that Russell stays there and would have considered drafting Russell at the 4/5 turn but he was gone

WR25 Juju Smith-Schuster is my second free agent and hopefully will be signed with a quality QB, He is a strong WR with excellent hands and a decent route runner. If Robinson gets on the field early, I really like this trio, but they came at a high cost, ignoring QB a while and being low on the RB quality among this league.

TE1 Travis Kelce - top targeted TE with Mahomes at QB, sign me up at two ppr. Shunned taking an RB as injuries occur more often with RBs than with receiver

Here's to hoping AJ Dillon gets the Packers RB job! :suds:
:kicksrock:  totally meant to draft him at 7.11. Then kinda spaced and took my rook. 

In best ball I think Smith could be really good. I'm not sure I'll trust him in dynasty enough to take him where he will go.

1.10 Jonathan Taylor 

2.07 Kyle Pitts 

3.10 Terry McLaurin 

4.07 Lamar Jackson 

5.10 Courtland Sutton 

6.07 Will Fuller

7.10 Marquise Brown - wasn't a big fan of the talent available to me here. Decided on taking a chance with pairing QB and big play WR. Brown has flashed so hopefully he is one of those semi-mythical third year breakout stars.

8.04 Derek Carr - had completely different plans for this pick when it was approaching. Considered a couple other guys and positions. After looking at what was still available at QB, I see Carr who definitely doesn't have the upside of a couple guys still on the board, but is the last of the guys that has a getter than 75% chance to start all 16 games. Plus added bonus is it feels like there will be a team or two that has less than ideal QB production this year in WSL now. 

1.08 Saquon Barkley NYG RB4 - After Cook you can throw the next 6 names in a hat and draw one IMO. All the talent in the world and with almost a full year to recover from his ACL, the biggest question mark will be whether Jones can make a leap in Year 3.

2.09 Aaron Jones GB/UFA RB13 - Without a flex I don't love starting off RB-RB, but Jones was head and shoulders above the rest of the names on the board at this spot. Although IMO he's not likely to be back in green and gold, he should have his pick of destinations as the top all-around back on the FA market. Led the league in yards after contact last season, so his production shouldn't be dependent on the quality of OL at his new home.

3.08 Chris Godwin TB/UFA WR15 - Unlike Jones, I do expect Godwin to be back with his current team in '21 as the Bucs try to run it back one more time. As an elite route runner he should mesh even better with TB12 in Year 2, and I expect some normalization of the TD gap between him and Evans.

4.09 Kyler Murray ARI QB5 - Past experience in survivors has taught me that it's fine to wait on QB or TE, but rarely on both - and there's no one who stands out at the latter position at all for me here. Kyler finished QB5 last season despite spending the last few weeks as obviously hobbled as Kirk Gibson in the '88 World Series. At his size, injury is more than likely an ongoing risk, but at full health he's one of a small handful of names with overall QB1 upside.

5.08 Tee Higgins CIN WR27 - Another thing survivors have taught me: don't worry too much about rankings or ADP this early on ... go get your guys. Jefferson's raw numbers overshadowed the rest of the 2020 draft class, but Higgins finished WR28 as a rook despite half a season spent with luminaries like Brandon Allen and Ryan Finley. With a year of experience and a full 16 from Burrow, I see Higgins with top-15 upside and would be surprised if he's not consistently drafted as a WR2 by August.
6.09 Mike Gesicki MIA TE13 - I'll probably wait on TE in most of my drafts this year, so a good chance I'll wind up with multiple shares of this guy. The lightbulb finally seemed to go on for Gesicki in the back half of 2020, and with his freakish physical gifts and continued growth from Tua (spoiler alert!) he's got as good a chance at a top-5 season as anyone else at this God-forsaken position.

7.08 Jerry Jeudy DEN WR42 - Another bet on the WR youth movement. He went five picks later than in last year's WSL despite recording 53/764 at age 21 with the barely competent Drew Lock at QB, and looked good enough on-field for PFF to tag him as their top second-year breakout candidate. If Denver somehow pulls off a deal for Watson, Jeudy's ADP shoots into the top-30 overnight.

8.09 Tua Tagovailoa MIA QB25 - Six of the 7 teams behind me in this round don’t yet have a QB2, so either I’m cliff-diving here with the rest of the lemmings or hoping a 5’10” guy who loves to run makes it through a full 17 games. I think it’s a virtual certainty Tua is the Week 1 starter - where things go from there, who knows of course, but he’s got the talent and scheme to put up QB1 numbers if he gets another playmaker or two on the roster.

Really like what@Shadowfax and @BassNBrew have done so far. And for being a zero-hour parachute drop into the 16-hole, @Andy Dufresnehas acquitted himself very nicely as well, IMO.

Just an FYI, I am with my wife who is having oral surgery. Not sure when I will be back home, so I could be causing a slight delay this morning/afternoon.

Sniped twice, top of my list was Waddle and J. Smith.

So I changed my focus and added two solid receiving backs to my inadequate running back position,

Was cued up to take one player here and old Milwaukee just trash that idea. Currently driving for a business trip, will find someone to pick when I stop for coffee

Users who are viewing this thread