What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The “Woke” thread (4 Viewers)

I’m guessing that any kid who refers to himself as “superstraight” is doing a little more than simply professing an attraction to girls. I’m guessing there’s some bigoted anti-gay stuff in there somewhere. 
That's an interesting way of excusing death threats (which I know you didn't do per se, but the fact that you responded this way indicates that you are looking for a way to do so).  

That's an interesting way of excusing death threats (which I know you didn't do per se, but the fact that you responded this way indicates that you are looking for a way to do so).  
I’m not. Death threats are always terrible. But I also felt the way the guy was described “how he’s attracted to girls” was probably misleading. 

And the point of this thread isn’t death threats but so-called “cancel culture”. Death threats are always wrong, but if someone posts anti-gay bigotry online I have no problem with it being removed. That’s a good thing, and certainly not a part of some contrived plot against conservative values, as has been contended here many times now. 

I’m not. Death threats are always terrible. But I also felt the way the guy was described “how he’s attracted to girls” was probably misleading. 
Maybe, maybe not, but the normal human reaction to death threats towards someone who has done nothing wrong is to call them out for what they are (terrible) without any asterisks or "yeah but"s, but in today's woke culture, the urge for many is to assume those making the threats were provoked in some way and to try and excuse their behavior, as you so brilliantly just illustrated.  It is everything that is wrong with the discourse in 2021. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe, maybe not, but the normal human reaction to death threats towards someone who has done nothing wrong is to call them out for what they are (terrible) without any asterisks or "yeah but"s, but in today's woke culture, the urge for many is to assume those making the threats were provoked in some way and to try and excuse their behavior, as you so brilliantly just illustrated.  It is everything that is wrong with the discourse in 2021. 
No. This is a thread about cancel culture, not death threats. That was the issue I was responding to. 

And your term “today’s woke culture” is meaningless to me. It doesn’t exist. 

No. This is a thread about cancel culture, not death threats. That was the issue I was responding to. 

Wtf...is there a cancellation worse than death?

Wtf...is there a cancellation worse than death?
I don’t think it’s really necessary to stipulate that there are extremists on both left and right who threaten death to anyone who they dislike. Such people are awful, in the extreme minority, and don’t deserve serious discussion. 

I don’t think it’s really necessary to stipulate that there are extremists on both left and right who threaten death to anyone who they dislike. Such people are awful, in the extreme minority, and don’t deserve serious discussion. 
That’s interesting because that’s not what your first reaction was...that it was wrong.  You basically tried to justify what you now claim is not even necessary to say is wrong because it is  unjustifiable.

Why is your first reaction to excuse cancel culture or even worse death threats?

And that's the point of the liberal cancel culture - label anyone who doesn't bend the knee to the lefty orthodoxy as "extreme" and that way you've justified eliminating them from the conversation, from their job and everything else. 

It makes you feel good, sure, but it's very, very wrong.  The same wrong it was during the 50's and McCarthy when the left was running scared.  Now, they're doing the same thing they had done to them.

That’s interesting because that’s not what your first reaction was...that it was wrong.  You basically tried to justify what you now claim is not even necessary to say is wrong because it is  unjustifiable.

Why is your first reaction to excuse cancel culture or even worse death threats?
My first reaction was to suspect that your characterization of the guy as simply “being attracted to women” is false, amd that perhaps he deserves having his post removed. I didn’t make any comment about the death threats because it should be unnecessary for me to do so. 

And that's the point of the liberal cancel culture - label anyone who doesn't bend the knee to the lefty orthodoxy as "extreme" and that way you've justified eliminating them from the conversation, from their job and everything else.
Bigotry against homosexuals should be regarded as extreme and wrong. If that’s what you regard as “lefty orthodoxy” then I must admit I’m for that. 

My first reaction was to suspect that your characterization of the guy as simply “being attracted to women” is false, amd that perhaps he deserves having his post removed. I didn’t make any comment about the death threats because it should be unnecessary for me to do so. 
Sounds a lot like the "what was that woman wearing that made that man want to rape her?" victim blaming nonsense that needs to go the hell away.  

If he expressed anti-gay bigotry (and again I don’t know, just guessing) he had being banned coming, sure why not?
The video is available several posts down in the link. He coined the term as describing someone like himself who is attracted to women, but not trans-women. Whether this is anti-trans, or perhaps is just toxic masculinity or machismo, the threats and attempts to destroy a kid’s mother’s business is the very type of cancel culture I would think we could all agree is problematic. 

The video is available several posts down in the link. He coined the term as describing someone like himself who is attracted to women, but not trans-women. Whether this is anti-trans, or perhaps is just toxic masculinity or machismo, the threats and attempts to destroy a kid’s mother’s business is the very type of cancel culture I would think we could all agree is problematic. 
OK fair enough. I couldn’t find it initially but I’ll take your word for it. 
And I agree with you that such behavior is problematic, 

His post wasn’t removed because of the content. He took it down himself because of the threats and attempts to ruin his mother’s business. 

What he expressed isn't any of the bolded, but the typical heterosexual male view of their sexual predelictions.  In other words, he's a typical male teen.  

To turn sexual drive into something "anti" or "toxic" is what's problematic here.

I’m guessing that any kid who refers to himself as “superstraight” is doing a little more than simply professing an attraction to girls. I’m guessing there’s some bigoted anti-gay stuff in there somewhere. 
Why would someone who is gay go on someone’s straight topic video outside of looking to be offended ?  

What he expressed isn't any of the bolded, but the typical heterosexual male view of their sexual predelictions.  In other words, he's a typical male teen.  

To turn sexual drive into something "anti" or "toxic" is what's problematic here.
Well, I didn’t mean to suggest that it was any of those. I watched the video and what I thought it was was a stupid kid thinking he was being clever. But my point was that it was irrelevant to the point being discussed even if you did think it had those overtones. 

Why would someone who is gay go on someone’s straight topic video outside of looking to be offended ?  
Not defending any death threats or business cancelling...

But to respond to this...can the opposite also be asked?

Why would anyone make such a video if not trying to offend?

Good god.  So when gays have a gay rights parade their intention is to offend.  Got it. 

Or are we saying only straight people can offend.  

Good god.  So when gays have a gay rights parade their intention is to offend.  Got it. 

Or are we saying only straight people can offend.  
Why is context such a problem for some? It always seems to tie back to a need to reduce complex issues to binary. As if the world is beginning anew on an absolutely level playing field for all right now.

Why is context such a problem for some? It always seems to tie back to a need to reduce complex issues to binary. As if the world is beginning anew on an absolutely level playing field for all right now.
Because its how it is. 

I find it funny someone standing up for his or her hererosexuality is now offensive 

Why is context such a problem for some ? It always seems to tie back to a need to reduce complex issues to binary. As if the world is beginning anew on an absolutely level playing field for all right now.
When you write “some”, I think you really mean certain white people, and especially certain white men. They’re the only ones who seem to have a problem whenever any minority or badly treated group seeks a certain amount of dignity. 

When you write “some”, I think you really mean certain white people, and especially certain white men. They’re the only ones who seem to have a problem whenever any minority or badly treated group seeks a certain amount of dignity. 
Congratulations, you have won today's prize.

Seriously, Tim.  You read in a ton there that is not in evidence.

Why would anybody be offended that some random guy on the internet is straight?
I think what far too many people have forgotten is that being offended is one of the consequences of free speech. 

Now, that does not mean I am in favor of going out of your way to offend people, but when you give an opinion on something, there is a good chance you will offend someone...and that is okay. 

That won’t help his case one bit, playing wannabe Rambo.  I didn’t hear what his tie to that city was.  I know both towns and they are close by.  

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Every topic.   It's racism and sexism.  Every.  Damn  One.  Even posted by the guy that has swung and missed terribly in this thread already.   Just walk away and shut up sometimes.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Every topic.   It's racism and sexism.  Every.  Damn  One.  Even posted by the guy that has swung and missed terribly in this thread already.   Just walk away and shut up sometimes.
I mean it’s jumped the shark at this point, but the kid in the video isn’t even white.  Not that Tim bothered to read anything before responding.

Woke culture fully exists these days. I love to make fun of it because those people take themselves far too seriously.

Look with regards to me bringing up race: it’s not my fault that Republican Party, which used to be about preserving capitalism and freedom, is now about promoting white grievance. I can’t help the fact that you guys went from Ronald Reagan and the Wall Street Journal to Donald Trump and Gateway Pundit; it happened, and I can only comment about it. If you guys want to spend your time complaining about being the victim and seeing insidious patterns like “cancel culture” that don’t exist, I’m going to spend mine pointing out that it’s a losing political struggle because it’s based on fantasy. And I’m going to keep hoping that you guys return to providing a reasonable, respectable alternative  to the Democratic Party, as you once did in the days of old. 

Look with regards to me bringing up race: it’s not my fault that Republican Party, which used to be about preserving capitalism and freedom, is now about promoting white grievance. I can’t help the fact that you guys went from Ronald Reagan and the Wall Street Journal to Donald Trump and Gateway Pundit; it happened, and I can only comment about it. If you guys want to spend your time complaining about being the victim and seeing insidious patterns like “cancel culture” that don’t exist, I’m going to spend mine pointing out that it’s a losing political struggle because it’s based on fantasy. And I’m going to keep hoping that you guys return to providing a reasonable, respectable alternative  to the Democratic Party, as you once did in the days of old. 
You jumped into this thread to say that the 16 year old kid had it coming because he said [checks notes] that he's straight.  Does that sound reasonable to you?

The kid is 16.  He was expressing his truth.  Don't assume the worst of people, especially our children.
Fair enough...I still think that attitude is very prevalent in society.  To push back the other way to get a rise out of people.  Even from 16 year olds.

Users who are viewing this thread