What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***** ALL-TIME NBA/ABA DRAFT ***** (Scoobus is Champion!) (2 Viewers)

higgins 90’s squad

This is a great team-blend of both offense and defense where you can actually visualize the how’s and why’s of their domination.

You remember the short-lived Run TMC, Don Nelson’s early Warriors squads.  A lot of scoring but not much defense, right?

They may have only played together for 2 years but their style of play is what my 90’s squad will emulate offensively.

Please allow me to introduce the new Run TMC…. [with D]

- PG Tim Hardaway

- SG Reggie Miller

- SF Eddie Jones

- PF Clifford Robinson

- C Dikembe Mutombo

Run Tim Hardaway, Reggie Miller, Clifford Robinson

Why wouldn’t I include Mutombo with an initial? He’s just there for his D and boards (blocks #2 & rebounds #21). Why wouldn’t I include Eddie with an initial (he is #32 in 3’s after all)? Well, we’ve got Reggie for the 3’s –and- we mainly need Eddie’s D (steals #31). So now that we’ve established the exponentially upgraded defense, let’s meet the re-vamped unit.

• Tim reprises his old role (a very good one at that).
  • Reggie M is an improvement on the original M.
  • And Chris Mullin vs. Cliff isn’t close. Let’s not focus on Cliff’s 6’10” height advantage -- following is the career-rankings-line for one of the most underrated basketball players ever (and he wasn’t even a starter lotta the time). #54 (pts), #167 (rebounds), #214 (assists), #59 (3-pointers), #60 (steals), #47 (blocks).
Individual career rankings per basketball reference

Run -- which one of these guys can’t run? You better hope your frontcourt can keep up the whole game

T – reprises his original role

M – new-and-improved version

C – new-and-improved version

….[with D]

You may or may not rank the revamped Run TMC as #1 for this decade in the draft….but two things to remember:

(1)    Don’t underestimate Cliff;

(2)    This is a great team-blend of both offense and defense where you can actually visualize the how’s and why’s of their domination.

scoobus said:
Name names! Controversy!
I gave myself 16 points. I stand by my decision and gave my reasons. I'm willing to take the heat from anyone and discuss it, but he didn't like my score and removed it. This was supposed to be a crowd sourced judging process with the top and bottom scores removed but it was changed along the way. There's a game within the game, but the organizer didn't want me to play it, so - oh well.

Have fun everyone.

i'll throw my 90's rankings up now. Sorry it is long, but when you have a team with studs like this they need some space. I don't see how this team would lose to be honest:

90s

Defensively i don’t know if we come in as top team without having a dominant big man in the paint, but my perimeter D with 3 ALl-NBA defensive guys in Stockton, MJ and Majerle could have like 14 steals a game. Think this team likely lands in top 5-7, thinking of Rebounds, DC and Grandmama both hold up well there, probably a little above average (if we are thinking of LJ before his big back injury)

Offensively: whew boy, this team would be something. I mean, i see other teams in this draft with things like 5 James Hardens, which is something, but how they would integrate is not always considered i think with judging. These guys would mix and match wonderfully. Majerle hanging around the 3 line would draw some people out, and he could hit tons of uncontested 3s. Stockton running pick and roll with pre-back injury LJ would be majestic (not as awesome as my pantheon team, but close). An Stockton did tons more as we know, had impressive basketball IQ and could see the entire halfcourt like a chess player. The assists he could compile on this team are off the charts. And i am sure MJ could get DC to play better as a pro basketball player and give him the motivation he needed to get closer to his potential. MJ would not be able to be doubled or tripled on every play, and man if we are considering these guy with current NBA rules MJ would have close to 50 ppg if he wanted to. Wouldn’t need to, but that guy could get points any time he wanted to. So i don’t think there is a chance that a team here could outscore this squad

Key with this team was what i had written up for Majerle  "Most importantly, fits like a glove on this 90s squad. not a hero ball guy who can have laudy stats, but that would hurt this team more than help it. That really is the essence of this 90s team, pieces that fit so well around MJ and Stockton"

PG   John Stockton

looking through all of these guys, i just couldn't get over Stockton's numbers. I think he may have even possibly been better then Magic. 

2nd overall in assists per game - and this is with really only having Karl Malone as a main guy to pass to. Pretty amazing considering his supporting cast

7th overall in steals/game:  i know Stockton had fast hands and was not a slouch on defense, but was surprised he averaged 2.2. steals/game over his career for 7th overall in NBA history. Never would have guessed he was that high

lot of stats that can be up up for this guy:

Per Game: 13.1 points, 10.5 assists, 2.7 rebounds, 2.2 steals

Per 75 Possessions: 15.7 points, 12.6 assists, 3.2 rebounds, 2.6 steals

Relative True Shooting Percentage: +7.6

Net Rating Swing: N/A

Box Plus/Minus: +3.5

i bet he would have scored more if he didn't facilitate so much, and think he is definitely a top 20 guy of all time. If he played in a bigger market he would be viewed like a top 10, top 15  

SG Michael Jordan - nothing else to write about this guy. The GOAT, and earned it more than others considered for this possible title. Put MJ in the NBA today with the rule changes and he may average 50 ppg a season

Simple stats:

14 All-stars, 10x scoring champ, 3x steal champ, 6x NBA champ, 11x All-NBA, 9x All-Defensive, MVP 5x, 6 Finals MVP, ROY, DPOY, etc., etc.

From JayRod in NBA thread (because MJ deserves something):  the NCAA was just experimenting with the 3-pt line and some conferences tried it out over a season or two.  They didn't go full time with it until the 1986-87 season.  Apparently, Jordan played some games his sophomore year ('82-83) with the 3-pt line in place.  According to basketball reference, he went 34 for 76 from three to shoot 44.7% for his NCAA career.  His NCAA career FG% was a stellar 54.0% as well.  I know his college career is a bit over-hyped due to his NBA success, but he was still a pretty dang good college player.

SF Dan Majerle

His numbers weren't as eye-popping as i had hoped for, but he was the man in NBA Jam. What i like best is his fit on my 90s team, an interesting group:

we know Majerle had a nice 3, but i didn't realize he made 2 All-defense teams too. Pretty convincing that this team will be nasty on the defensive end got a feisty defense with a lot of steals, can hit the 3 nicely, and can do a bit of transition offense and defense. Might stumble against some of the big guys, but can slow them down ano none of them could hit FTs like Embiid so can hack and shaq if needed

3x all star, 2x all defense

PF Larry Johnson

Grandmama

ALL-NBA, All-Rookie team, ROY, and 2x all star

Was held back because of injuries

Johnson came into the NBA with an impact as his rookie season was arguably his best along with his second season. He averaged 19 points per game, 1 steal per game, and 11 rebounds per game. These stats would stay similar to these numbers throughout the first five years of his career. Had a horrendous back injury around ‘93 which pretty much crushed his career. Went downhill after it and had to retire early because couldn’t get over it. Did develop a mid range game and tried to change his style to accommodate and built a bit there, just couldn’t keep it going because of his back

C. Derrick “DC” Coleman:

Could have been one of the best PF/C guys of all time because of his versatility

https://vault.si.com/vault/1995/10/23/derrick-coleman-the-controversial-forward-talks-about-the-raps-against-him-and-his-rap-on-the-nets

going with a small ball 5. ROY, was all-NBA 2x, 1x all star (that is a funny one, how a guy makes all-NBA, but not the all star game)

He was a good rebounder, had the advantage of being left-handed and he could shoot from beyond the three-point line. Standing in at six foot and ten inches, weighing two hundred and thirty pounds, he had a well-rounded skill set which many men his size didn’t possess at the time. He could score from the perimeter, he could finish at the rim, handle the ball and had great court vision. unfortunately, Colemans personal problems soon became a recipe for disaster. Attitude problems on and off the court, a long list of recurring injuries and an on-going alcohol abuse problem played a huge role in preventing Coleman’s 

* Under-rated stat:  According to the NBA Crime Library, Derrick Coleman is the all-time leader in “Career arrests” with seven. 

never reached his full potential, it’s clear that Derrick Coleman was, in fact, a solid player with a solid skillset at his disposal. A good modern-day comparison is perhaps, prime DeMarcus Cousins. 

So I ended up where I think I probably belonged for the 80s. But a 6 and a THREE?!
Liked the build you had for your 80s team Instinctive (had it with 12 points).  Alvin Robertson was the perfect player to fall to you for the 80s group. Draft value wise, he was excellent (you sniped him one pick before me), and like the rug in "The Big Lebowski", he tied the room together.  Robertson's defensive ability on the perimeter really would have been disruptive with Sampson and Laimbeer in back to clean up.  That big combo may have left the inside susceptible to aggressive inside offensive forces, but how many of those players were on these 80s teams?  Sadly, Micheal Ray Richardson would have left you high and dry at some point, but if he was clean that would have been a problem for defenses.  Maybe Marques Johnson could have helped by going to his glovebox and clearing the whole scene out?

gracias. my teams seem to not be aligned with the judges views, so hoping my later teams can bring it back. Was surprised with my 60s and 70s team being so low, cross-referenced it with basketball-reference and i had most of those guys in or near the top 200 (i think) 
You'll probably be just fine with Michael Jordan in the 90's bracket modogg. 😉 In addition to having the man himself, you also did a great job putting a complimentary team around him.  Stockton brings steady offense, doesn't need shots, and brings the toughness MJ would demand.  I like the positional flexibility Majerle adds with Jordan.  He's no Pippen but on the wing he and Jordan would be able to harass opponents much the same.  Larry Johnson is a nice board man that knows how to play with other great players (like he did at UNLV) while Derrick Coleman brings a lot of talent to the table.  He was lazy as all hell and isn't the ideal center, but he had a modern game and would either rise to a championship level with MJ riding his ### or he'd be out of modogg-town within 18 months.  Olajuwon, Barkley, Malone, and Robinson would probably give this team some real problems in a match-up, but MJ is MJ.  Nice squad my man.

Trader Jake – 1990’s

This is the team with my most draft equity, and I'm really pleased with the fit of these five players together.  In interviews Charles Barkley will mention how excited he was when the Sixers had the #1 pick and he envisioned playing alongside Brad Daugherty.  Then Philly traded the pick for Roy Hinson and cash and Barkley knew the 76ers had just cost him a title as a Sixer.  Said he always hated playing against Daugherty and it pissed him off that he never got to play with him.  Well, he gets that here on an All-time 1990s team, but this time he also gets to run with another Hall of Famer in Grant Hill and two defensively tough guards that absolutely can’t be left open from the outside.

PG Mark Price – All-time great shooter, put up 50/40/90% for his career and a classic pass first point guard in the John Stockton mold to boot.  Price was the very best player at splitting the high double-team when teams tried to get the ball out of his hands, and he was tough as hell on defense.
SG Hersey Hawkins – The Hawk may be the most underappreciated player of the 90s. He shot over 40% on 3’s in 8 of his first 10 seasons.  Besides being among the best 3pt shooters in the decade, he was consistently among the league leaders in free throws, FT%, steals, and true shooting.
SF Grant Hill – Hall of Famer eventually played 18 seasons, pre-injury he was among the very best players in the 90s finishing multiple seasons in the top 20 in points/rebounds/assists/steals/and player efficiency in the same season.  He took home Rookie of the Year, earned 7 All-Star appearances, and 5 All-NBA awards.
PF Charles Barkley – Hall of Famer played 16 seasons, finishing in the top5 in Box +/- in eight consecutive seasons.  He was a rebounding champ, league MVP in 1993, earned 11 All-Star appearances, and 11 All-NBA awards.  Was the best player (or 2nd to MJ) while playing on the 1992 Olympic Dream Team.
C Brad Daugherty – The #1 overall pick was a highly skilled 7’ footer that could beat smaller defenders with post moves and could step out to hit the jumper against the trees.  He put up 19pts and 10reb/game and retired as the Cavaliers all-time leading scorer and rebounder.

Ilov90s

I didn't put a lot of capital into this team so the result is a well rounded team that will play solid ball and tough defense but is clearly lacking in star power. The 90s were a very hard nosed defensive era so I built a team that I thought played the 90s way. 

PG Kenny Anderson- playground legend turned NBA All Star, quick floor general who can score and facilitate the offense, pick pocket on defense

SG Joe Dumars- provides me with a 2nd ball handling option, mid range and deep threat scoring ability plus his famous perimeter defense. 

SF Sean Elliott- He was often positioned as the 3rd option on his teams and so he knew how to contribute in ways other than scoring. On this team, we will need him step up and play a bigger role on offense. Along with Dumars, he gives me two 38% 3 point shooters and the long ball will be a staple of our game. 

PF Juwan Howard- This is a smart team that knows basketball. Evidenced by Howard's coaching success and Dumar's GM success. Howard provides size, interior scoring and rebounding. 

C Rony Seikaly- Fairly nimble big body who could rebound and had some game on offense

Peak 3  per game year averages: pts/boards/dimes/steals/blocks

PG Anderson 18/4/9/2

SG Joe Dumars 21/2/5/1

SF Elliott 16/4/3/1

PF Howard 20/8/4/1

C Seikaly 17/12/1/1/1

Trader Jake – 1990’s

This is the team with my most draft equity, and I'm really pleased with the fit of these five players together.  In interviews Charles Barkley will mention how excited he was when the Sixers had the #1 pick and he envisioned playing alongside Brad Daugherty.  Then Philly traded the pick for Roy Hinson and cash and Barkley knew the 76ers had just cost him a title as a Sixer.  Said he always hated playing against Daugherty and it pissed him off that he never got to play with him.  Well, he gets that here on an All-time 1990s team, but this time he also gets to run with another Hall of Famer in Grant Hill and two defensively tough guards that absolutely can’t be left open from the outside.

PG Mark Price – All-time great shooter, put up 50/40/90% for his career and a classic pass first point guard in the John Stockton mold to boot.  Price was the very best player at splitting the high double-team when teams tried to get the ball out of his hands, and he was tough as hell on defense.
SG Hersey Hawkins – The Hawk may be the most underappreciated player of the 90s. He shot over 40% on 3’s in 8 of his first 10 seasons.  Besides being among the best 3pt shooters in the decade, he was consistently among the league leaders in free throws, FT%, steals, and true shooting.
SF Grant Hill – Hall of Famer eventually played 18 seasons, pre-injury he was among the very best players in the 90s finishing multiple seasons in the top 20 in points/rebounds/assists/steals/and player efficiency in the same season.  He took home Rookie of the Year, earned 7 All-Star appearances, and 5 All-NBA awards.
PF Charles Barkley – Hall of Famer played 16 seasons, finishing in the top5 in Box +/- in eight consecutive seasons.  He was a rebounding champ, league MVP in 1993, earned 11 All-Star appearances, and 11 All-NBA awards.  Was the best player (or 2nd to MJ) while playing on the 1992 Olympic Dream Team.
C Brad Daugherty – The #1 overall pick was a highly skilled 7’ footer that could beat smaller defenders with post moves and could step out to hit the jumper against the trees.  He put up 19pts and 10reb/game and retired as the Cavaliers all-time leading scorer and rebounder.
Good team, I still remember the snipe on Price. I really thought he was going to last longer. 

I gave myself 16 points. I stand by my decision and gave my reasons. I'm willing to take the heat from anyone and discuss it, but he didn't like my score and removed it. This was supposed to be a crowd sourced judging process with the top and bottom scores removed but it was changed along the way. There's a game within the game, but the organizer didn't want me to play it, so - oh well.

Have fun everyone.
I just didn’t see any way you could say your team was anywhere close to being the top team in the decade. Your picks for the decade were in the 13th, 22nd, 24th, 25th, and 27th round (and most of those players accomplishments were in the 70s). Did you really think that team would compete with the likes of Magic, Bird, Isiah, etc, or was the “game within the game” to over inflate your own ranking to game the system. I understand people liking their teams more than others do, but a 16 when the average of everyone else’s ranks is 4 (3 if we exclude the 11 point outlier) is just crazy.  It’s just not fair to the people who are being more realistic with their own team self-rankings.  Sorry I changed you score, but I gave you a chance to see if you really felt that way and the 11 I changed it to (to match the highest score someone else gave) was more than generous. 

I just didn’t see any way you could say your team was anywhere close to being the top team in the decade. Your picks for the decade were in the 13th, 22nd, 24th, 25th, and 27th round (and most of those players accomplishments were in the 70s). Did you really think that team would compete with the likes of Magic, Bird, Isiah, etc, or was the “game within the game” to over inflate your own ranking to game the system. I understand people liking their teams more than others do, but a 16 when the average of everyone else’s ranks is 4 (3 if we exclude the 11 point outlier) is just crazy.  It’s just not fair to the people who are being more realistic with their own team self-rankings.  Sorry I changed you score, but I gave you a chance to see if you really felt that way and the 11 I changed it to (to match the highest score someone else gave) was more than generous. 
:goodposting:

i'll throw my 90's rankings up now. Sorry it is long, but when you have a team with studs like this they need some space. I don't see how this team would lose to be honest:

90s

Defensively i don’t know if we come in as top team without having a dominant big man in the paint, but my perimeter D with 3 ALl-NBA defensive guys in Stockton, MJ and Majerle could have like 14 steals a game. Think this team likely lands in top 5-7, thinking of Rebounds, DC and Grandmama both hold up well there, probably a little above average (if we are thinking of LJ before his big back injury)

Offensively: whew boy, this team would be something. I mean, i see other teams in this draft with things like 5 James Hardens, which is something, but how they would integrate is not always considered i think with judging. These guys would mix and match wonderfully. Majerle hanging around the 3 line would draw some people out, and he could hit tons of uncontested 3s. Stockton running pick and roll with pre-back injury LJ would be majestic (not as awesome as my pantheon team, but close). An Stockton did tons more as we know, had impressive basketball IQ and could see the entire halfcourt like a chess player. The assists he could compile on this team are off the charts. And i am sure MJ could get DC to play better as a pro basketball player and give him the motivation he needed to get closer to his potential. MJ would not be able to be doubled or tripled on every play, and man if we are considering these guy with current NBA rules MJ would have close to 50 ppg if he wanted to. Wouldn’t need to, but that guy could get points any time he wanted to. So i don’t think there is a chance that a team here could outscore this squad

Key with this team was what i had written up for Majerle  "Most importantly, fits like a glove on this 90s squad. not a hero ball guy who can have laudy stats, but that would hurt this team more than help it. That really is the essence of this 90s team, pieces that fit so well around MJ and Stockton"

PG   John Stockton

looking through all of these guys, i just couldn't get over Stockton's numbers. I think he may have even possibly been better then Magic. 

2nd overall in assists per game - and this is with really only having Karl Malone as a main guy to pass to. Pretty amazing considering his supporting cast

7th overall in steals/game:  i know Stockton had fast hands and was not a slouch on defense, but was surprised he averaged 2.2. steals/game over his career for 7th overall in NBA history. Never would have guessed he was that high

lot of stats that can be up up for this guy:

Per Game: 13.1 points, 10.5 assists, 2.7 rebounds, 2.2 steals

Per 75 Possessions: 15.7 points, 12.6 assists, 3.2 rebounds, 2.6 steals

Relative True Shooting Percentage: +7.6

Net Rating Swing: N/A

Box Plus/Minus: +3.5

i bet he would have scored more if he didn't facilitate so much, and think he is definitely a top 20 guy of all time. If he played in a bigger market he would be viewed like a top 10, top 15  

SG Michael Jordan - nothing else to write about this guy. The GOAT, and earned it more than others considered for this possible title. Put MJ in the NBA today with the rule changes and he may average 50 ppg a season

Simple stats:

14 All-stars, 10x scoring champ, 3x steal champ, 6x NBA champ, 11x All-NBA, 9x All-Defensive, MVP 5x, 6 Finals MVP, ROY, DPOY, etc., etc.

From JayRod in NBA thread (because MJ deserves something):  the NCAA was just experimenting with the 3-pt line and some conferences tried it out over a season or two.  They didn't go full time with it until the 1986-87 season.  Apparently, Jordan played some games his sophomore year ('82-83) with the 3-pt line in place.  According to basketball reference, he went 34 for 76 from three to shoot 44.7% for his NCAA career.  His NCAA career FG% was a stellar 54.0% as well.  I know his college career is a bit over-hyped due to his NBA success, but he was still a pretty dang good college player.

SF Dan Majerle

His numbers weren't as eye-popping as i had hoped for, but he was the man in NBA Jam. What i like best is his fit on my 90s team, an interesting group:

we know Majerle had a nice 3, but i didn't realize he made 2 All-defense teams too. Pretty convincing that this team will be nasty on the defensive end got a feisty defense with a lot of steals, can hit the 3 nicely, and can do a bit of transition offense and defense. Might stumble against some of the big guys, but can slow them down ano none of them could hit FTs like Embiid so can hack and shaq if needed

3x all star, 2x all defense

PF Larry Johnson

Grandmama

ALL-NBA, All-Rookie team, ROY, and 2x all star

Was held back because of injuries

Johnson came into the NBA with an impact as his rookie season was arguably his best along with his second season. He averaged 19 points per game, 1 steal per game, and 11 rebounds per game. These stats would stay similar to these numbers throughout the first five years of his career. Had a horrendous back injury around ‘93 which pretty much crushed his career. Went downhill after it and had to retire early because couldn’t get over it. Did develop a mid range game and tried to change his style to accommodate and built a bit there, just couldn’t keep it going because of his back

C. Derrick “DC” Coleman:

Could have been one of the best PF/C guys of all time because of his versatility

https://vault.si.com/vault/1995/10/23/derrick-coleman-the-controversial-forward-talks-about-the-raps-against-him-and-his-rap-on-the-nets

going with a small ball 5. ROY, was all-NBA 2x, 1x all star (that is a funny one, how a guy makes all-NBA, but not the all star game)

He was a good rebounder, had the advantage of being left-handed and he could shoot from beyond the three-point line. Standing in at six foot and ten inches, weighing two hundred and thirty pounds, he had a well-rounded skill set which many men his size didn’t possess at the time. He could score from the perimeter, he could finish at the rim, handle the ball and had great court vision. unfortunately, Colemans personal problems soon became a recipe for disaster. Attitude problems on and off the court, a long list of recurring injuries and an on-going alcohol abuse problem played a huge role in preventing Coleman’s 

* Under-rated stat:  According to the NBA Crime Library, Derrick Coleman is the all-time leader in “Career arrests” with seven. 

never reached his full potential, it’s clear that Derrick Coleman was, in fact, a solid player with a solid skillset at his disposal. A good modern-day comparison is perhaps, prime DeMarcus Cousins. 
I didn't even need to read who your front court players even were. I think MJ and Stockton alone might outscore the best team from the 80s. 

Little strapped for time today, so a shorter write up for Instinctive's middle of the road 90s squad. I think this will be the most interesting squad I have ranked, as my 70s was obviously near the bottom, 60s obviously near the top, and 80s obviously the top of tier two. This team, I think has a very wide range and will heavily depend on Drazen's evaluation by folks. I think there are 6-7 teams very clearly better. I think there are 4 teams clearly worse. Won't be surprised by anything in between, and depending on your flavor (I mean, have you seen Petrovic play?! Heard other players speak of him with reverence?!), maybe I catch someone's favor and get a bump or two.

Summary - Team with offense on the wings, killer instinct on the wings, a defensive distributor at the point, and two bruisers at the big spots. Among the weakest frontcourts in all the 90s teams, among the stronger pairs of wings, and a middle of the pack point.

PG - Nate McMillan: multiple all defensive selections, low usage, low turnover, high assist percentage floor general, cerebral

SG - Drazen Petrovic: Absolute killer. Kobe before Kobe. Before Dirk's retirement, he was acknowledges as the best European player in basketball history. Look it up - seriously. EuroBasket and FIBA both have him up there, so as much as we love Sabonis and hear all about him, when the votes came down, Petrovic was the guy. He was an incredible shooter (44% on 3.5 attempts per game in the early 90s?!?!?!?!) who would be absolutely dominant today, and WAS absolutely dominant in the early 90s. As much as folks compare Kobe to Michael, he was really an evolutionary Petrovic. Cold-blooded assassin, extremely hard worker. Petrovic was basically the European version of Michael (just ask MJ).

SF - Michael Finley: Beloved Maverick and 20ppg scorer in the late 90s and early 2000s, I placed him here because his 5-year peak was 97-02 and he had more great seasons before that than after. Another great shooter at 38% for his career, Finley was a long wing who was really good at everything, bad at nothing, and not really great at anything beyodn being a person you wanted on your team.

PF - Dale Davis: Glue guy big fella, Double D made an all-star in the 90s with the Pacers while averaging a near-double double through most of the 90s. Dirty work, defends well, another unspectacular but solid guy with a team ethic.

C - Elden Campbell: Spent the 90s averaging around 14/8. Another solid but unspectacular guy who is great at nothing, but has no holes and you'd want on your squad.

This team is built to grind, to let Drzen take you down and allow Finley to pour in buckets. We'll keep your monster posts from going for 30, but they'll all get 20/10 against us. This team is like the Pacers and Trailblazers of today's NBA - a consistent 4-5 seed, not pushing for the title, extremely well built and cohesive.

Yo Mama's All-90s Team

PG - Damon Stoudamire

Peak (3 Years) - 19p, 4r, 9a, 2stl, 2 threes

Recognition - ROY

SG - Latrell Sprewell

Peak (9 Years) - 20p, 4r, 4a, 2stl, 1 three

Recognition - 1 all nba, 4 all star, 1 all d

SF - Glenn Robinson

Peak (9 Years) - 21p, 6r, 3a, 1stl, 1 three

Recognition - 1 champ, 2 all star

PF - Otis Thorpe

Peak (6 Years) - 18p, 10r, 3a, 1stl

Recognition - 1 champ, 1 all star

C - Vlade Divac

Peak (8 Years) - 13p, 9r, 4a, 1stl, 2blk

Recognition - HOF, 1 all star

Not gonna lie, this isn’t my strongest group. Offensively, I have a lot of scoring punch that will help me compete - four high volume scorers in their primes, three shooting threats from distance to space the floor, and solid passing out of point and center to keep everything moving. Defensively, I’ll be leaning on Sprewell on the perimeter, Thorpe for his muscle inside, and Vlade for his cigarette smoking and rim protection.  All five of my players average at least a steal per game in their primes. 

Have fun everyone.
I mean sure, I'll bite, why do you think you had the best 80s team?

Also what does the bolded mean?

Team Frosty 90s

PG - Terry Porter: 16.8ppg, 4.0rpg, 9.2apg, 1.9spg. 2x All-Star

SG - Doug Christie: 13.1ppg, 4.6rpg, 4.0apg, 2.2spg, 4x All-Defense

SF - Glen Rice: 22.2ppg, 4.8rpg, 2.3apg, 1.1spg, 2x ALL-NBA, 2x All-Star

PF - Shawn Kemp: 18.1ppg, 10.5rpg, 2.1apg, 1.4sppg, 1.6bpg, 3x ALL-NBA, 6x All-Star

C  - Alonzo Mourning: 21.1ppg, 10.1rpg, 1.5apg, 3.1bpg, HOF, 2x ALL-NBA, 7x All-Star, 2x DPOY, 2x All-Defense

This team is perfect.  Accolades? How about 7x All-NBA, 6x All-Defense, and 17x All-Star with 2 DPOYs. Scoring? 3 guys over 18ppg at their peak, with 2 over 20ppg and two unstoppable weapons in Rice and Mourning. Defense? Christie locks up the perimeter with Mourning patrolling the paint protecting the win. Top PG? Two time all-Star Porter over 9 assists per game and the leader/distributor of the high flying Blazers teams. Rebounding? Try getting a board with Kemp and Mourning in the game. Shooting? Rice is one of the best shooters of all-time, Christie will have plenty of open chances which he always excelled at knocking down, and Porter is 54th all-time in made 3 pointers despite playing before the whole 3-point explosion thing. Not to mention Mourning was one the best perimeter shooting centers ever (again, until the 3-point explosion/stretch 5 thing happened). 

This team can run with the best of them, or play a half court game. They'll lock you down inside and outside and control the boards. Mourning's ability to step out let's Kemp overate without crowding, and if you sag in to help all three of my perimeter guys are sharp shooters. There are better individual players than my guys out there, but I can't find a better constructed team. 

wikkid 90s:

SOMEBODY CALL AN AMBULANCE (pronounced AM-bew-LANCE)!!

PG - Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf

Wing - Clyde Drexler

Wing - Reggie Lewis

PF - Danny Manning

C -  Arvydas Sabonis

Y'all didnt buy what i was sellin' w my 60s & 70s team, so y'ain't gonna go for this Island of Broken Toys, but i purely love this bunch. Poor Clyde - the most perfectly-constructed basketball player i've ever seen gets to lead the Muslim OG Kaepernick w Tourette's and the quickest trigger this side of Curry; a dead guy, killed when the end of Auerbach's Leprechaun rainbow fell on him on his rise to being Pierce before Pierce; a 1st-team All-Injured (Penny, McGrady, Hill, Manning, Walton) PF who was the prototype of the 21stC 4; and the greatest Euroballer of all time who, as i recounted when i picked him, the doctors that gave him his physical said qualified for handicapped parking @ Memorial. Ow!

Last edited by a moderator:

Have fun everyone.
So by giving yourself 16, you thought it would get counted as the high score and removed to help your judging? My objective measure that just looks at awards and accolades had your team as the 3rd worst. I have to side with Yo Mama here, your team didn't deserve anywhere close to a 16 whether that score was being counted or tossed as the outlier. 

90s team

PG Mookie Blaylock- "...his work in other areas, such as rebounding (4.3 per game) and assisting (6.9) helped him shine as a player. Even more impressive than that, however, was his sturdiness on the less glamorous side of the ball. He led the league in steals twice (2.7 nightly in 1996-97 and 2.6 in the following season), averaging 2.4 takeaways per game for the decade. His abilities on that end earned him the nickname “The Thief”, along with six All-Defensive berths (two on the first team, four on the second)."

SG John Starks- All-star team, all-defensive team, sixth man of the year. Forms a pretty great defensive backcourt with Mookie, and also great assist numbers for a SG.

SF Chris Mullin- Dream-Teamer stud that will lead the offense. Averaged over 25 a game in 5 straight seasons while bombing it from downtown en route to his 5 all-star games, 4 all-NBA teams, and HOF induction.

PF Vin Baker- 4x All-Star and 2x All-NBA, average around 20/10 for a 4 year stretch. Will help pace the offense as well while also snagging rebounds.

C Kevin Willis- made the All-Star team and an All-NBA team in his monstrous 92 season where he averaged a whopping 18/15. Really just a double-double machine in the early 90s.

Just a solidly put together team. Blaylock and Starks form an excellent defensive backcourt that can also dish it and provide some scoring. Mullin leads the offense, with the help of Vin Baker. And Kevin Willis does the dirty work down low, playing defense and gobbling up rebounds, again along with help from Baker.

Have fun everyone.
:lmao:

Get a load of this guy.  There is no universe, alternative or real, whereby your group of thrown together scrubs would have beaten any of the top 6 teams in a single game, much less any kind of real competitive endeavor.  Your best player was an ABA guy who was clearly placed in the wrong decade and your second best was a PG who wasn't even the best PG on his own team through most of his prime.

:lmao:

Get a load of this guy.  There is no universe, alternative or real, whereby your group of thrown together scrubs would have beaten any of the top 6 teams in a single game, much less any kind of real competitive endeavor.  Your best player was an ABA guy who was clearly placed in the wrong decade and your second best was a PG who wasn't even the best PG on his own team through most of his prime.
Close call between his team and mine. All I have is a HOF C, one of only 3 players with 20,000 points not in the HOF, the leading scorer in the history of the Suns franchise, an official top 50 NBA player of all time, and the guy with a statue of himself outside the Atlanta Hawks stadium. 

Close call between his team and mine. All I have is a HOF C, the only player with 20,000 points not in the HOF, the leading scorer in the history of the Suns franchise, an official top 50 NBA player of all time, and the guy with a statue of himself outside the Atlanta Hawks stadium. 
Yeah but those guys all suck.

How serious am I supposed to take this?
Our fake basketball teams drafted on a fantasy football message board are serious business

If you’re interested, shoot me a pm with how you rank the teams 1-16 and I consolidate all the lists into a combined ranking. 

We’ll be doing 00s and 10s next week. 

Doug B's 1990s squad

PG Micheal Williams: 1X All-Defense, 1X NBA Champion

Taking Williams' early-90s prime with Indiana and Minnesota. His peak years were his age 25 & 26 seasons -- 15 ppg, 8.5 apg, and 2.5 steals per game. He fell maybe 10% off those stats the following year for the Timberwolves when foot injuries began taking their toll. After his 28th birthday--from the 1994-95 season until his 1999 retirement--he played in only 37 games, including missing the entire 1996-97 season.

Williams was an all-timer in free throw shooting (36th all-time in career FT%). He still holds the NBA record for consecutive free throws made (97). He also made the All-NBA Defensive team with the Pacers in 1991-92.

SG Mitch Richmond: HOF, 5X All-NBA, 6X All-Star, 1X NBA Champion, 1989 Rookie of the Year, 20,000 Point Club, 50th all-time in 3-pointers made

This 90s squad needs a shooting guard with size (6'5", 220) to pair with Williams. Richmond had a versatile offensive game -- being able to create off the dribble, post up smaller guards, and drop back with an effective modern 3-ball against slower defenders (38.8% career from deep). Highly prolific for what were then lower-tier franchises (Golden State and Sacramento), Richmond averaged 21.9+ ppg in each of his first ten seasons in the league. And unlike many high-volume scorers, Richmond was a plus defender (ask Michael Jordan).

SF Detlef Schrempf: 1X All-NBA, 3X All-Star, 2X Sixth Man of the Year

In the 1990s, I get both the Indiana Pacers' Schrempf who played a more traditional power forward role AND the Seattle Sonics' Schrempf who developed a 3-ball (41.6% over six seasons in Seattle) and turned into a huge matchup problem at small forward. At both stops he was a fantastic passer and an all-around heady player. A great guy to have in roto, he was typically good for 4-6 assists and a steal every night. Weirdly for a 6'10" guy, he had over double the number of steals over his career than blocks.

PF Antonio McDyess: 1X All-NBA, 1X All-Star, 1996 All-Rookie team

Need a filthy inside guy to pair with the sometimes-too-nice David Robinson. McDyess could score as well as defend, but in the 90s I get his best defensive stats season (1.5 steals & 2.3 blocks per game in 98-99) in which he still scored 21 and grabbed 10 boards a night.

A freak knee injury ended his days as an NBA starter at age 28, though he came back after a year off and played a bench role in the league until he was 36.

C David Robinson: HOF, 10X All-NBA, 10X All-Star, 8X All-Defense, 2X NBA Champion, 1995 MVP, 1992, DPOY, 1989 Rookie of the Year, 1X scoring leader, 1X rebounding leader, 1X blocks leader, 20,000 Point Club

David Robinson and Michael Jordan have virtually identical Win Shares per 48 minutes over their careers -- MJ at .2505 (#1 all-time) and The Admiral at .2502 (#2 and most among frontcourt players). Robinson's career numbers per 36 minutes: 21.8 ppg, 11.0 rpg, 2.6 apg, 1.5 spg, 3.1 bpg. Robinson was the third player in NBA history to rank among the league’s top 10 in five categories in 1992, joining Cliff Hagan (1959-60) and Larry Bird (1985-86). Robinson was seventh in scoring (23.2), fourth in rebounding (12.2), first in blocks (4.49), fifth in steals (2.32) and seventh in field-goal percentage (55.1%). On February 17, 1994 against the Pistons, Robinson became the fourth NBA player in history to record a quadruple-double (34 points, 10 rebounds, 10 assists and 10 blocks).

On February 17, 1994 against the Pistons, Robinson became the fourth NBA player in history to record a quadruple-double (34 points, 10 rebounds, 10 assists and 10 blocks).
Quadruple-double is just such a ridiculous thing to accomplish. I remember reading about this one in a Sports Illustrated Kids issue :bag:

Kev's 90s

PG - Kevin Johnson - There was a 5-6 year period where Kevin Johnson may have been the second best backcourt player in the NBA this side of Jordan. He has that otherworld athleticism mixed with the reckless abandon of recent PGs like Derrick Rose, Russell Westbrook, and Ja Morant, but he was both more efficient and a better passer. Other than Stockton, it's hard to argue there was a better point guard, especially offensively, in the 90s. He made the All-NBA team 5 out of 6 years at the turn of the decade and twice finished in the top 8 in MVP voting. The Malone-Johnson PnR will be nasty.

SG - Jeff Hornacek - Rather than patrolling the high schools with JK, Mase, and Malone, Hornacek will be drinking warm milk after the games with Smits. I think he is remembered more as the dude raining jumpers on those title contending Jazz teams (43% from 3 in his jazz career), but he was much more dynamic in his younger years. Should have good synergy with Johnson from his Suns days and Malone from his Jazz days. He is #68 all time in WS, ahead of guys like Allen Iverson, Grant Hill, Alex English, and Tracy McGrady. A perfect offensive third banana.

SF - Anthony Mason - Eskimo Brothers with Biggie. Mase could do a little bit (or a lot defensively) of nearly everything on the court. He could bang down low defensively with Shaq or Hakeem and take Pippen or Jordan all over the court. Nobody else like him really existed in the 90s other than Scottie - he could run an offense, score a bit, defend like nobody’s business, and crash the glass. He's my Draymond - the glue guy that does everything and defends his ### off against the best players in the league no matter the position.

PF - Karl Malone - Built like Adonis with a game to match. Other than being a good person, he did everything you could ask of from a PF.  All time ranks: #2 points, #8 rebounds,  #12 steals, #4 WS, #4 VORP, and #2 turnovers (eat ####, Lebron). He won two MVPs (#8 all time in MVP Award Shares), including one at 35 years old (oldest player ever). His offensive exploits are well remembered, but many forget he was a defensive force as well, landing on 4 All-Defense teams, including a 2nd team selection all they way back in 1988, and three 1st team selections from 96-97 to 98-99. Underappreciated greatness.

C - Rik Smits - The Dutch are the tallest population in the world and Smits is still ####### tall when he goes home. But of all the super giants the NBA has had, he was probably the best other than Yao (sorry, Ralph Sampson). He had a legit post game with good footwork and moves/counter moves/turnaround, a nice jumper, and some decent D. His biggest weakness is on the defensive boards, but Malone and Mason are elite at their positions.

Assistant Coach - Chris Hanson

I think this team kind of combines the best of the early 90s Suns with the best of the late 90s Jazz. We’ll pick and roll you to death in the half court, get out and run on the break (KJ, Mason, and Malone could run). The KJ led Suns were constantly one of the top offenses in the league- from his first year as full time starter in 88-89 to 94-95 they never finished worse than 5th in offensive rating and the Hornacek-Malone led (I might be forgetting somebody) Jazz from 94-95 to 00-01 never finished worse than 6th. We’ll put up some points.

Defensively, Mason and Malone are the stars here, but there are no liabilities. Mase will be defending the best player on the court most of the time, unless it's a PG (Stockton) or a PF (Barkley) because Malone has that. The rest of the roster has all played part in top 5 defenses (Hornacek, like a lot), so they know what they need to do.

I was very surprised by the way my 90s rankings system shook things out but I stuck with it. I used it for the 70s and 80s and they lined up well with the overall results. 

hmm ranking these teams is a little trickier than i thought. going back and forth on quite a few, only have a few locked in. Will get them to Yo Mama tonight though

boooooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggggg
LOL.  Going through this draft I've learned a lot of stuff from the info everyone has been posting - love the writeups.  The biggest surprise on my own 90s team was Grant Hill.  He's one of my favorite players from the era, but I had no idea he ended up playing 18 seasons.  Being a Bucks fan, a player like Big Dog (Glenn Robinson) played 9 and it seemed like he was around forever. 

Shows how some of these players could have had vastly different careers if they had just landed with a different team. Once Hill got to Phoenix (and their forward thinking medical staff) he could all of a sudden stay on the court.  Hill had such a complete game, it was refreshing to watch at a time where way too many ballers thought they were the next Michael Jordan.  The days of the Magic/Bird passing influence was a bit lost on some of the new players entering the Association, and the game was just less entertaining to watch some nights in the late 90s/early 00s.

Also, when Glenn Robinson, Jason Kidd, and Grant Hill were in college my buddies and I got into some heated debates about who would be the best pro (I had Grant Hill).  Over the course of the next 20 years the "winner" would switch and the debate would continue, ultimately being declared Jason Kidd when we realized he could actually shoot to go along with everything else. 

One guy not involved in the main debate got sucked in when he picked California to win the NCAA tournament, and they lost their opening game on the first Thursday afternoon.  We had 75-100 brackets all over the walls of our place and we put his on a wall all by itself with a huge red X through it.  Even after the rest of them came down...his stayed up until that Fall. 😆 That guy hated Kidd for the rest of his career because of it, but he had to look at that solo bracket on our wall for six months.  Even random 'party girls' that would always be around would give him #### about it, and it was funny every. single. time.

Team Gally 1990's:

This is going to be a short write up because, well it's the weekend and I have other things to do.  I didn't put a lot of draft capital into this team other than Pippen.  This was a lot like the 80's where every time I thought about picking up an 90's guy there was always someone better available so it got pushed aside.  

Regardless I do like the makeup of this team and hope that Dino Radja gets a fair shake.  At the time I took him there was virtually nothing left for C's and he was an great passer and scorer (ok maybe not a great scorer but great for the time of the draft.

I figure Pippen shuts down the best non C and Gugliotta and Radja can be adequate.  Brandon at point is good but not great defensively (I really wanted Mookie in this spot and got sniped and had to settle for Brandon).  Isaiah Rider can score from anywhere and Gugliotta and Radja were solid scorers as well.

Again, like all my teams thus far it isn't flashy but is a very complimentary team that will compete and be trouble for the middle tier group.

I am guessing this squad finishes right around 10-12 ish with an outside shot of 8/9 if judges don't kill Radja for his short NBA life and take into consideration how good he actually was.  Look no further than him carrying the Croatia team to a silver medal in the 1992 Olympics vs the Dream Team.  After all he is in the Hall of Fame.

PG - Brandon

SG - Rider

SF - Pippen 

PF - Gugliotta

C - Radja 

1990s Rankings

Judging

I took all the rankings provided to me (9 total judges) and averaged all the scores for an overall ranking.  Ties will be broken based on which team had the most judges ranking it higher (we had one tie again this time).  

Just like the 90s, our decade had some really solid top tier teams kept from the very top by dominance at the peak of the standings.

On to the rankings. . .

1990s Rankings, continued

VANCOUVER GRIZZLIES DIVISION

The 90s were a period of expansion for the NBA.  Two teams were added in 88-89 (Heat and Hornets), two were added in 89-90 (Magic and Timberwolves), and two were added in 95-96 (Grizzlies and Raptors).  We’ll focus on some of those teams in our bottom tiers and start off with the lowly Grizzlies.  In their short six year history in Vancouver, the Grizz never made the playoffs, finished in last place in their division five times, and ended up with an overall record of 101-359 (.220 winning %) and were only 56-240 for the decade (.189 winning %).  They and Toronto were screwed in the first draft (not allowed a high pick), and the Grizz selected Bryant “Big Country” Reeves with their first ever draft pick.  To show how awesome he ended up, he wasn’t taken at all in our draft.  They also weren’t allowed to use their full salary cap space the first two seasons either.  Anyway, this team never got off the ground in the 90s and was sold/relocated to Memphis in 2001.

The team in this tier wishes he could relocate to another tier, but he is just that bad he can’t escape the bottom.

16th place - 1 point

Jayrod  - Kenny Smith, Steve Smith, Derrick McKey, Christian Laettner, Hot Rod Williams

Average Score: 1.89   Best: 4   Worst: 1

MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES DIVISION

The Timberwolves also struggled in their early years as an expansion team.  In their first seven years as a franchise, the T-Wolves went 152-422 (.330 winning %), with an average of over 60 losses a season.  The highlight of those years on Wikipedia was the Isaiah Rider dunk contest win.  The Timberwolves turned things around at the end of the decade with the selection of Kevin Garnett in 1995 and made the playoffs the last three years of the 90s, but it wasn’t enough to get them out of our bottom tiers.

The teams in this massive tier could have used a high school freak of nature to pull them out of this division, but alas.

15th place - 2 points

EYLive  - Mark Jackson, Alan Houston, Toni Kukoc, Charles Oakley, Jayson Williams

Average Score: 3.11   Best: 6   Worst: 1

14th place - 3 points

Instinctive  - Nate McMillan, Drazen Petrovic, Michael Finley, Dale Davis, Elden Campbell

Average Score: 4.00   Best: 10   Worst: 1

13th place - 4 points

Ilov80s  - Kenny Anderson, Joe Dumars, Sean Elliott, Juwan Howard, Rony Seikaly

Average Score: 4.78   Best: 8   Worst: 3

12th place - 5 points

Gally - Terrell Brandon, Isaiah Rider, Scottie Pippen, Tom Gugliotta, Dino Radja

Average Score: 5.00   Best: 10   Worst: 1

11th place - 6 points

Timschochet  - Nick Van Exel, Penny Hardaway, Bryon Russell, Dennis Rodman, Shawn Bradley

Average Score: 5.78   Best: 9   Worst: 1

10th place - 7 points

Yo Mama  - Damon Stoudamire, Latrell Sprewell, Glenn Robinson, Otis Thorpe, Vlade Divac

Average Score: 6.00   Best: 9   Worst: 3

ORLANDO MAGIC DIVISION

One of the success stories for expansion teams in this era who paid off David Stern enough to win a couple prime lottery spots in a row, transform their team into an almost instant contender, and ultimately change the NBA lottery process because enough owners whined about it (I’m going to assume it was the Mavs and Cavs because its always them).  The first couple years, they drafted well getting Nick Anderson and Dennis Scott their first two years, but it was in 92 and 93 where the Magic happened and they won the draft lottery in back to back years and took Shaq and Penny (via swap with Warriors) to set the franchise up for instant success.  After a couple lean early years, the Magic made the playoffs five time in the decade and made the finals in 95, going for an overall win % of .504 for the season.

Scoobus had a very well balanced team (of B+ players) and Wikkid used some slight of hand to get the judges to rank based on the could-have-been of his should-have-been team, but they still didn’t have the juice to move higher in the standings.

9th place - 8 points

Scoobus  - Mookie Blaylock, John Starks, Chris Mullin, Vin Baker, Kevin Willis

Average Score: 7.78   Best: 12   Worst: 5

8th place - 9 points

Wikkidpissah  - Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf, Clyde Drexler, Reggie Lewis, Danny Manning, Arvydas Sabonis

Average Score: 7.89   Best: 13   Worst: 4

SEATTLE SUPERSONICS DIVISION

The Sonics were my favorite non-Lakers team of the decade.  The drafting of Kemp in 89 and Payton in 90 set them up for an exciting, trash talking, poster dunking, awesome team for most of the decade.  Their finals team of 1995-96 that went 64-18 was stacked – Payton, Kemp, Schrempf, Perkins, Hawkins, and McMillan!!! Only the juggernaut Bulls were able to keep these guys from a title.  The Sonics had the third best winning % for the decade at .648.

These teams are all well-balanced with some excellent players here, but the judges couldn’t rank them up with the all-time greats in the top tiers.

7th place - 10 points

Kev4029  - Kevin Johnson, Jeff Hornacek, Anthony Mason, Karl Malone, Rik Smits

Average Score: 11.11   Best: 12   Worst: 9

6th place - 11 points

Doug B  - Micheal Williams, Mitch Richmond, Detlef Schrempf, Antonio McDyess, David Robinson

Average Score: 11.78   Best: 14   Worst: 10

5th place - 12 points

(Frosty won the tiebreaker 5 judges to 4 over Doug)

Frosty  - Terry Porter, Doug Christie, Glen Rice, Shawn Kemp, Alonzo Mourning

Average Score: 11.78   Best: 15   Worst: 8

Users who are viewing this thread