What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone familiar with exercise bikes? (1 Viewer)

jm192

Footballguy
My wife has a Pro-form studio bike. 

She's hinted she wants shoes for the bike and pedals that she can clip the shoes to.  I guess the current pedals don't allow for clipping the shoes in.  I've searched google/amazon/proform's website.  There don't seem to be any specific pedals.  Are exercise bike pedals/shoes pretty universal?  Or what am I missing?

Appreciate any help.

With most bikes you can switch pedals for clip on shoes.  What kind of cleats/shoes does she have?  

With most bikes you can switch pedals for clip on shoes.  What kind of cleats/shoes does she have?  
She doesn't have any.  I was going to get it all for her birthday.  Just didn't understand compatibility.  If all pedals work with all bikes, it's a lot easier.  

For a home exercise bike, I think SPD is probably the best system (unless the tech has changed substantially in the past 10-15 years or so).  Buying and installing a set of SPD pedals is easy - lots out there in a wide variety of price ranges.  You may want to get a "dual platform" pedal which can be used with normal shoes or cleated shoes.  For shoes - also lots of great options.  I bought these last year for city biking and they work great --> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NEX3VM4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(edit - just noting, with these shoes you need to buy a set of SPD cleats separately.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that SPD is probably the way to go.  I was also going to second @CletiusMaximus's suggestion to get dual platform pedals.  I run the Crankbrothers Doubleshot on my hybrid bike with Giro Berm shoes.  Both are pretty low cost and work well.  I like the ability to clip in if I feel like maximizing my fitness, or just casually ride flats when doing family rides.  I realize you aren't putting these on an actual bike, but if you wanted to get some exercise in it would still be comfortable for you to do so without investing in new shoes.

Edit to add, these pedals come with the cleats, so no need to purchase the cleats seperately

Personally, I prefer Look’s pedal interface, but dual SPD/platform pedals are more popular and definitely offer more versatility.

You can buy the shoes and get a bike store to install the cleats - but it isn’t rocket science to do yourself either. The pedals are even easier, typically screwing in with a wrench, preferably a dedicated pedal wrench. You may need hex wrenches as well, especially if you install the cleats yourself. The pedals will be asymmetric, so make sure you’re installing them on the correct side (usually labeled L/R).

As someone who recently went through this change, I think the naming of all of these things suck.  Clipless pedals actually clip you in.  The leading platforms are SPD or SPD-SL.  So stupid. 

Once I bought the pedals and shoes, the install is  easy and intuitive if you've ever used a wrench or hex key. 

Tiem Shoes

Shimano PD-M520 SPD Pedals

Shimano-SH51 SPD Cleat

Keep in mind SPD is a type of pedal that the shoes and cleat would have to match. Also there are lots of type of them so you can pick whichever pedal you want depending on price. Also make sure the thread size on the pedal FITS your specific bike model. This is what the wifey got to upgrade our bike and I got some less stylish shoes as they only make dude ones fugly.

Lastly, Amazon sporting gear is often marked up right now so if you can find them on a biking stores websites you will usually get a better deal.

If she's also planning on using them on a real bike, consider waterproof and/or grippy tread versions - I use my cleats for mountain biking and having decent traction makes a big difference when you stop to pee or carry your bike over a log.

I use Crank Bros eggbeaters pedals and cleats and am happy with them - they're especially good for getting clipped in immediately to start on an incline for MTB.

Thanks for all the replies everyone.  

After I figured out the triad of pedal/cleats/shoes that had to be compatible, it was pretty easy.  It's like it's own little science haha.  Thanks for all that feedback/suggestions!

Thanks for all the replies everyone.  

After I figured out the triad of pedal/cleats/shoes that had to be compatible, it was pretty easy.  It's like it's own little science haha.  Thanks for all that feedback/suggestions!
You take the plunge?  If so, what did you end up with?

Gave her the stuff a month ago.   She loved both.  Says it totally improved the rides.  Thanks again for all of your help everyone

If you have to walk around in them there are shoes that have cleats sort of built in to the soles.  They are fine for spin class. 

Users who are viewing this thread