What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 (now 2021) Summer Olympics in Tokyo. Closing ceremonies 8/8 | USA finishes with most gold, silver, bronze AND overall medals (1 Viewer)

This is great to watch but every time they show a new fancy arena with no fans I just die inside for the Japanese people who paid for this monstrosity. Do they just bulldoze all these arenas afterwards so they don’t have to remember this?
Based on their vaccination numbers, my guess is they are converted to field hospitals. 

Greedy punks at NBC. They pull the same crap with the premiere league.

I dont care if Peacock is 10 cents a month. I refuse out of principle.
Yea I love the nbc Olympics app and even peacock for all the extra stuff that can’t make it into the main telecasts. It’s awesome. Relegating the basketball team there, which is definitely one of the most popular teams in the games, is super lame. 

FIBA has the same traveling rule as the NBA. I'd guess 90% of this board has no idea what the rule entails. 
I knew you'd have to defend that.  I got your "euro" step and will raise you a shuffle step (or two, easy) and no matter how insistent you remain on defending the purity of the game you ref/oversee, it doesn't make the violation change.  They were walking all over the joint. 

It's interesting, you are not the only ref on this board I've seen constantly go to the mat for "their" sport.  It's like it's part of the "being a ref" manual.  

I don't want to clutter this thread so I'm done with this here, but if you'd be interested in starting a thread and show how 90% of us do not understand the rules of traveling, please do, I would love to learn.

France is good, but yeah, gonna be an uphill battle to medal. Tough to believe with this level of talent. 

They ought to send the DJ home for beach volleyball, it’s just depressing. We don’t need to hear club music in between points, it’s bad enough looking at the 10k empty seats. 

France is good, but yeah, gonna be an uphill battle to medal. Tough to believe with this level of talent. 
They’ll win the next 2 games and make the quarterfinals. Only difference is they’ll play a 5 seed or whatever instead of an 8. I don’t think it matters much for that purpose, they have more talent than all of these teams combined. If they shoot well they’ll win, if not they’ll get bounced. 

I knew you'd have to defend that.  I got your "euro" step and will raise you a shuffle step (or two, easy) and no matter how insistent you remain on defending the purity of the game you ref/oversee, it doesn't make the violation change.  They were walking all over the joint. 

It's interesting, you are not the only ref on this board I've seen constantly go to the mat for "their" sport.  It's like it's part of the "being a ref" manual.  

I don't want to clutter this thread so I'm done with this here, but if you'd be interested in starting a thread and show how 90% of us do not understand the rules of traveling, please do, I would love to learn.
I'm not a ref

They’ll win the next 2 games and make the quarterfinals. Only difference is they’ll play a 5 seed or whatever instead of an 8. I don’t think it matters much for that purpose, they have more talent than all of these teams combined. If they shoot well they’ll win, if not they’ll get bounced. 
We need to be the best second place team so we can get put in the first pot for the QF draw. Not sure if they’ll use point differential to determine that. If we were to be in pot 2 and draw the Aussies in the quarters that might be curtains. 

edit: the draw for the quarters is random, so no seeding. The three group winners plus the best second place team go into a pot, the other two second place teams plus the two best third place teams go into another pot. 

Last edited by a moderator:
So US basketball and women's soccer now suck?  
The Women's team is more or less they need to integrate younger players and the world is becoming better but the US are still a top 3 team. 

The Men is an entirely differently story. World is getting better with the two best Young Players not even American in Giannis (Greece) and Doncic (Slovenia). The US lacks good player development. They focus too much on Athleticism and not enough on Basketball IQ etc and not on the fundamentals. I actually started calling this a few yrs back maybe during the last summer games the US is gonna be in trouble soon when they were dominating as much. We lack poor player development these days 

The Rules for international are different and what the rest of the world plays by. Hero AND1 gets you no where and a nice a seat on the bench. The US players are too much AND1 1V1 herbal guys not enough team. As individuals great players but they don't play as a team. I predicted back then if he US doesn't get their act together I wouldn't be shocked if they don't medal come the Games in the US. 

Now you can say the US is missing players but this was a problem when Lebron and those guys were out there too. The US Is getting too full of themselves and ego driven. Spend less time recruiting your buddies to play with you and less time on your branding. 

Whatever you are, since you've got some FIBA license and purport to be an expert every time it comes up, educate the "90% of us" that don't know what you know about traveling. 

We'd love to know what we're not missing.  In another thread.
If you wanted to learn, you'd do so.  I've explained it numerous times in the other threads and you continue to be willfully ignorant.

If you wanted to learn, you'd do so.  I've explained it numerous times in the other threads and you continue to be willfully ignorant.
You mean willfully disagreeing.  Look, I'm just asking for you to go over what your booklet says on traveling (IN ANOTHER THREAD).  You claim 90% of us don't know.  Nobody here realizes we're not seeing traveling.  You're the authority, please help.

Last post, see you in the "Why 3 steps (sometimes 4) isn't traveling anymore; and shuffling your pivot foot doesn't count" thread.

You mean willfully disagreeing.  Look, I'm just asking for you to go over what your booklet says on traveling (IN ANOTHER THREAD).  You claim 90% of us don't know.  Nobody here realizes we're not seeing traveling.  You're the authority, please help.

Last post, see you in the "Why 3 steps (sometimes 4) isn't traveling anymore; and shuffling your pivot foot doesn't count" thread.

Hey nerds, you both have the option to not reply to the other. It's time to consider that.

Tuning in just now to something I don't understand.

Common for me.
All you really need to know for a basic viewing experience is:

• Match is first to 15.  3 rounds of 3 minutes each.  If no one has 15 at the end of that time, it'll end or have overtime if it's tied.  But if someone gets to 15 before that time limit, it's over.
  • The colored light means the fencer scored a valid touch.  Point awarded to scoring fencer.
  • The white light means the fencer has scored an off-target touch.  Play stops and resets, no scoring.
  • If both fencers land hits within a fraction of a second, both lights will go off.  Referees determine who had "right of way" or "priority" (a concept in foil and sabre), whoever had priority, their touch will be the one that counts.
  • For foil specifically, the valid scoring area is the silver "lame", on the torso, back, and bottom of the mask.

This French guy in epee is fun to watch. 
Pretty impressive to watch.  He looks comparatively small for an epee fencer - epee fencers tend to be taller, lankier.

Epee is a lot slower, more defensive than foil.  Main differences are that the entire body including the head is target area (hence why fencers with a longer reach tend to be epee fencers and why controlling the distance is so important) and that there is no concept of right of way.  If two fencers land "simultaneous touch", they both get a point rather than the referees determining who had right of way.

Pretty impressive to watch.  He looks comparatively small for an epee fencer - epee fencers tend to be taller, lankier.

Epee is a lot slower, more defensive than foil.  Main differences are that the entire body including the head is target area (hence why fencers with a longer reach tend to be epee fencers and why controlling the distance is so important) and that there is no concept of right of way.  If two fencers land "simultaneous touch", they both get a point rather than the referees determining who had right of way.
Wow, that was exciting!  The difference in height was crazy between the two, but the Frenchman was just in constant motion.

Watching the Women's Tae Kwon Do 57kg gold medal final right now, and one of the announcers, when describing the lengthy relationship between the American competitor and her coach said, "They go back like pimps and pinky rings." 🤣   

ETA:  Anastasija Zolotic becomes the first American woman to win gold in Tae Kwon Do.  Not bad for an 18 year-old.

Last edited by a moderator:
Watching the Women's Tae Kwon Do 57kg gold medal final right now, and one of the announcers, when describing the lengthy relationship between the American competitor and her coach said, "They go back like pimps and pinky rings." 🤣   

ETA:  Anastasija Zolotic becomes the first American woman to win gold in Tae Kwon Do.  Not bad for an 18 year-old.
This was awesome to watch

Synchronized diving is just mesmerizing to watch.  Turned it on and an hour later I was still glued to the couch.  I meant to go fetch my iced tea from outside and just forgot about it.  So good. 

Users who are viewing this thread