What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 (now 2021) Summer Olympics in Tokyo. Closing ceremonies 8/8 | USA finishes with most gold, silver, bronze AND overall medals (1 Viewer)

Great comeback story!  The guy who won today had broken his collarbone earlier this year, so that was a nice story, too.
Was the helicopter audio this obnoxious during the live broadcast? I'm watching on the app now and I can barely hear the announcers over the helicopter noise.

Was the helicopter audio this obnoxious during the live broadcast? I'm watching on the app now and I can barely hear the announcers over the helicopter noise.
Nah, it was fine during the live broadcast.  That sucks about the app version.

The US Rugby 7s held their own against South Africa but just aren’t quite up to the task.  I think tomorrow’s game against England will be a one-sided affair, not in a good way. Still a pretty good showing to win two games in the tournament. Meanwhile, Fiji look fantastic. I don’t expect they will lose to anyone. 

I don't follow Women's hoops...is Griner still the best frontcourt player on the globe?  She's looking pretty dominant vs Nigeria.

NBC might as well cancel the Olympics

@craigmelvin: Simone Biles is out of the team competition here in Tokyo bc of an injury. More info right now on @TODAYshow

@ALaboutSports: A Team USA coach said that Simone Biles' exit from the gymnastics team event "is not injury related." Coach said it is a "mental issue she is having," per NBC broadcast.

@ChrisJansing: “Physically she is fine,” Simone Biles’ coach writes to NBC.  “But she is done for tonight”

Disappointing to say the least if Biles is out for mental health issues.  If she's truly injured, that's one thing.  If shes bailing on her team mates and her country cause of the pressure, well that's not good.

You cannot continue to be marketed as the greatest of all time(As NBC has said so many times it's hard to count) if you bail on everybody when things get a bit tough.  

Disappointing to say the least if Biles is out for mental health issues.  If she's truly injured, that's one thing.  If shes bailing on her team mates and her country cause of the pressure, well that's not good.

You cannot continue to be marketed as the greatest of all time(As NBC has said so many times it's hard to count) if you bail on everybody when things get a bit tough.  
Awful.

I was browsing around Sunday afternoon and caught a little kayaking.  Now that was unexpectedly fun to watch and man does that look hard.  So that was cool.   Not sure who led that.

Yesterday while waiting through the endless overproduced yadda yadda that NBC was jamming down my throat instead of showing events, I turned to surfing, which I thought might be interesting.  Well, not so much.  

Also found myself liking syncronized diving a lot(especially the ladies).

When does track and field start?

I have a question. I try to be supportive of folks with mental health issues. Sunday, I was watching golf and Cameron Tringale was tied for lead. It would have been his first title in 307 events. 307!. He had a disastrous hole and carded a 6 on a Par 3. 

Is it fair to criticize Tringale for his inability to handle pressure while giving Simone Biles space?

I have a question. I try to be supportive of folks with mental health issues. Sunday, I was watching golf and Cameron Tringale was tied for lead. It would have been his first title in 307 events. 307!. He had a disastrous hole and carded a 6 on a Par 3. 

Is it fair to criticize Tringale for his inability to handle pressure while giving Simone Biles space?
Did Cameron throw down his club, and quit the rest of the round?  Just asking.

In my opinion, part of the Olympics, and heck any competition is learning how to lose gracefully. Taking your beating like a true competitor.   Right now, again IF the mental health thing is true, it doesn't seem to me like Biles is representing this country as effectively in defeat as she does when she's successful.

Additionally, I have a strong suspicion her mental health issues won't preclude her from endorsements and other money making enterprises that are a result of her success.

Last edited by a moderator:

I think it’s very hard for any of us to form a meaningful opinion and pass judgment in either instance due to the extremely limited information available. 

Mental health is as much of a disability as any other injury. Jesus Christ man. 

I feel terrible for her. But she didn't look happy at Nationals and didn't look happy yesterday. Maybe one of her reps or coaches should have asked if she wanted counseling or something. I dunno.

Mental health is as much of a disability as any other injury. Jesus Christ man. 
Add in her interview where she talks about how hard it is has been to compete post abuse scandal with Nasser. I can only imagine being back at the Olympics drove that home.

Idk man, how many have succumbed to this type of pressure in the past? Mental toughness is part of the gig. 
Used to be.  Not anymore.  Now we just make up a zillion reasons.  Not like past athletes didn't have these issues.  But now, I guess it's too much for our poor athletes.

Shame...More and more those that are in the Olympics are representing less and less of what I want to see.  Not that it matters, maybe this is what the new America wants.  Kneeling for the anthem, dropping out when things get tough, etc etc.   That's not what I want, but I'm old.

Used to be.  Not anymore.  Now we just make up a zillion reasons.  Not like past athletes didn't have these issues.  But now, I guess it's too much for our poor athletes.

Shame...More and more those that are in the Olympics are representing less and less of what I want to see.  Not that it matters, maybe this is what the new America wants.  Kneeling for the anthem, dropping out when things get tough, etc etc.   That's not what I want, but I'm old.
How many have on the current US Women's Olympic team have multiple sexual abuse incidents tied to the team and the Olympics? Hint it's only 1, and her name is Simone Biles.

Helmets on most, no pads though I think. 
There was an age requirement for women's skateboarding helmets, they said.  If you were under 18 (I believe), you had to wear a helmet.  Over 18, it was optional.  The announcers even made a point about it, saying that anyone you see in the event wearing a helmet is under 18, anyone without a helmet is over 18.

I feel terrible for her. But she didn't look happy at Nationals and didn't look happy yesterday. Maybe one of her reps or coaches should have asked if she wanted counseling or something. I dunno.
At the trials she looked distracted and seemed to lose focus at times (falling off the beam on a fairly easy maneuver, for her).  The comments at the time were "get these out of your system here and be ready for Tokyo."  So far it looks like she's having the same issues this week. But because of her degree of difficulty, even if she has a slip she usually scores well.

Her "weight of the world" comments may be telling.  If she's injured, she's injured.  I'm sure she's stressed.  She's great and maybe she puts undo pressure on herself to be perfect.  Because of her degree of difficulty, even if she has a slip she usually scores well. She doesn't have to be perfect.

She may have some of the things that are bothering Naomi Osaka. 

I just hope that it isn't her thinking that she has to be perfect and if she can't be... then she doesn't want to 'look human' or something like that. Even at less than herself, she's still better than the rest of the girls on the US team and I hope (* if she is not injured) that she overcomes the issue and helps the team as best she can. 

I saw an interview with her as she talked about the different perspective, now, of competing at age 24 vs. 19.  She admitted to some of the mental challenges …more fear of injury or failure than in the past.  I’m not totally surprised by this news, therefore.  The incredible pressure probably amped up when the US came out of prelims in second place.  NBC’s stats guy was talking about where the US could make up points, and he only talked about Biles getting back to her excellence.  With the other team members being new, Biles probably has felt the burden was fully on her.  So what happens?  She comes out and flubs her first vault.  Without being scientific or judgmental, it seems she “cracked.”  Tough for her, as this will always hang over her.

Wonder what sponsor's contracts will look like going forward?  I don't have the slightest clue who her sponsors are or what she's worth, but you have to think those companies are furious.  

Seems like if she "cracked" in team competition she might not stand a chance in individual competition.  

Wish her the best though.  Hope she can bounce back.  

At the trials she looked distracted and seemed to lose focus at times (falling off the beam on a fairly easy maneuver, for her).  The comments at the time were "get these out of your system here and be ready for Tokyo."  So far it looks like she's having the same issues this week. But because of her degree of difficulty, even if she has a slip she usually scores well.

Her "weight of the world" comments may be telling.  If she's injured, she's injured.  I'm sure she's stressed.  She's great and maybe she puts undo pressure on herself to be perfect.  Because of her degree of difficulty, even if she has a slip she usually scores well. She doesn't have to be perfect.

She may have some of the things that are bothering Naomi Osaka. 

I just hope that it isn't her thinking that she has to be perfect and if she can't be... then she doesn't want to 'look human' or something like that. Even at less than herself, she's still better than the rest of the girls on the US team and I hope (* if she is not injured) that she overcomes the issue and helps the team as best she can. 
Agreed.   If she's physically hurt, then that's out of her control.  But if she's quitting cause she can't be perfect, well that's 100% NOT what should happen.  Take the loss, put in your very best effort, and be humble.   Being the "GOAT" means more than winning.  Set good examples for the young gymnasts out there.   How far would that go if she went to interviews and said she wasn't on her game but she gave it her all and congratulations to "Insert name here" for her awesome performance.

Nope...Instead, she just quit.  Bad message.

The whole gymnast thing is uncomfortable. You know it wrecks their bodies physically and the mental side of it with all the rapey coaches.   Plus they give up so much of their young life to it. More thn the skaters as there isn't the rink time issues.

The bad internet will cancel her which is tough.  Maybe it happening in the middle of the night helps. 

Agreed.   If she's physically hurt, then that's out of her control.  But if she's quitting cause she can't be perfect, well that's 100% NOT what should happen.  Take the loss, put in your very best effort, and be humble.   Being the "GOAT" means more than winning.  Set good examples for the young gymnasts out there.   How far would that go if she went to interviews and said she wasn't on her game but she gave it her all and congratulations to "Insert name here" for her awesome performance.

Nope...Instead, she just quit.  Bad message.
Wouldn't you like to have like, even some minimal knowledge of the situation before this kind of statement?  

Users who are viewing this thread