What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why I believe in America (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Why I Believe In America

Sent this to our folks last night.

And note, this might be a bad idea posting here as some may be unable to keep this non political. But please try.

I'd like to wish you a happy Fourth of July.

For you non-US folks, I ask you to please indulge us here today (and I know there are a bunch of you - thanks for being a part of what we're doing). We Americans are celebrating a very important holiday for us in our Independence Day.

Here's 70 seconds celebrating some fun things about the USA. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYmV3N64ND4

You've probably seen all these images and scenes before. And maybe some made you smile.

But there's something serious here too. And timely.

Halfway through, there's audio from a speech that says, "There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured by what is right with America."

I may be naive. I may be hopelessly optimistic. But I believe that.

With my whole freakin' heart.

I'm not going to deny for a second that my heart hasn't sometimes been tired or anxious or angry or sad this past year. I'm going to guess your heart has too.

But I still believe in America.

And I believe in America because I believe in us.

And not to put too fine a point on it, but I believe in us because I believe in you.

We are what makes America. Regular people like you and me putting a greater good ahead of themselves and doing rad stuff. People showing kindness and generosity to each other. People doing their best to display empathy to one another and trying to understand when they see something differently. People assuming the best of each other.

I hope on this day today, you can be hopeful. Be encouraged.

As I do each year on this day, I won't be sending any Football news. Instead, I'm attaching the transcript of the Declaration of Independence. You can find lots more cool information about the document by clicking here.

And as there are every year, there will be some people who tell me I shouldn't send this and that I should just stick to football. We are about 99.99% football. This is that .01%.

If you're like me and haven't read through the document since last July 4, or if you haven't read through it in years, I'd urge you to take a couple of minutes sometime today and go through it. It's good stuff. Regardless of your political leanings.

Thanks for allowing us this non football email today. We'll be right back onto the news for you tomorrow with the update plus we've got lots of good stuff heading your way on the website.

I hope you have a great Fourth of July.

And Peace and Grace to you.

Let's go.

Happy 4th of July from your Friends at Footballguys.

J

The Unanimous Declaration of the Thirteen United States of America

When, in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bonds which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the laws of nature and of nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shown that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards for their future security. -Such has been the patient sufferance of these colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former systems of government. The history of the present King of Great Britain is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute tyranny over these states. To prove this, let facts be submitted to a candid world.

He has refused his assent to laws, the most wholesome and necessary for the public good.

He has forbidden his governors to pass laws of immediate and pressing importance, unless suspended in their operation till his assent should be obtained; and when so suspended, he has utterly neglected to attend to them.

He has refused to pass other laws for the accommodation of large districts of people, unless those people would relinquish the right of representation in the legislature, a right inestimable to them and formidable to tyrants only.

He has called together legislative bodies at places unusual, uncomfortable, and distant from the depository of their public records, for the sole purpose of fatiguing them into compliance with his measures.

He has dissolved representative houses repeatedly, for opposing with manly firmness his invasions on the rights of the people.

He has refused for a long time, after such dissolutions, to cause others to be elected; whereby the legislative powers, incapable of annihilation, have returned to the people at large for their exercise; the state remaining in the meantime exposed to all the dangers of invasion from without, and convulsions within.

He has endeavored to prevent the population of these states; for that purpose obstructing the laws for naturalization of foreigners; refusing to pass others to encourage their migration hither, and raising the conditions of new appropriations of lands.

He has obstructed the administration of justice, by refusing his assent to laws for establishing judiciary powers.

He has made judges dependent on his will alone, for the tenure of their offices, and the amount and payment of their salaries.

He has erected a multitude of new offices, and sent hither swarms of officers to harass our people, and eat out their substance.

He has kept among us, in times of peace, standing armies without the consent of our legislature.

He has affected to render the military independent of and superior to civil power.

He has combined with others to subject us to a jurisdiction foreign to our constitution, and unacknowledged by our laws; giving his assent to their acts of pretended legislation:

For quartering large bodies of armed troops among us:

For protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment for any murders which they should commit on the inhabitants of these states:

For cutting off our trade with all parts of the world:

For imposing taxes on us without our consent:

For depriving us in many cases, of the benefits of trial by jury:

For transporting us beyond seas to be tried for pretended offenses:

For abolishing the free system of English laws in a neighboring province, establishing therein an arbitrary government, and enlarging its boundaries so as to render it at once an example and fit instrument for introducing the same absolute rule in these colonies:

For taking away our charters, abolishing our most valuable laws, and altering fundamentally the forms of our governments:

For suspending our own legislatures, and declaring themselves invested with power to legislate for us in all cases whatsoever.

He has abdicated government here, by declaring us out of his protection and waging war against us.

He has plundered our seas, ravaged our coasts, burned our towns, and destroyed the lives of our people.

He is at this time transporting large armies of foreign mercenaries to complete the works of death, desolation and tyranny, already begun with circumstances of cruelty and perfidy scarcely paralleled in the most barbarous ages, and totally unworthy the head of a civilized nation.

He has constrained our fellow citizens taken captive on the high seas to bear arms against their country, to become the executioners of their friends and brethren, or to fall themselves by their hands.

He has excited domestic insurrections amongst us, and has endeavored to bring on the inhabitants of our frontiers, the merciless Indian savages, whose known rule of warfare, is undistinguished destruction of all ages, sexes and conditions.

In every stage of these oppressions we have petitioned for redress in the most humble terms: our repeated petitions have been answered only by repeated injury. A prince, whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people.

Nor have we been wanting in attention to our British brethren. We have warned them from time to time of attempts by their legislature to extend an unwarrantable jurisdiction over us. We have reminded them of the circumstances of our emigration and settlement here. We have appealed to their native justice and magnanimity, and we have conjured them by the ties of our common kindred to disavow these usurpations, which, would inevitably interrupt our connections and correspondence. They too have been deaf to the voice of justice and of consanguinity. We must, therefore, acquiesce in the necessity, which denounces our separation, and hold them, as we hold the rest of mankind, enemies in war, in peace friends.

We, therefore, the representatives of the United States of America, in General Congress, assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, do, in the name, and by the authority of the good people of these colonies, solemnly publish and declare, that these united colonies are, and of right ought to be free and independent states; that they are absolved from all allegiance to the British Crown, and that all political connection between them and the state of Great Britain, is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as free and independent states, they have full power to levy war, conclude peace, contract alliances, establish commerce, and to do all other acts and things which independent states may of right do. And for the support of this declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our fortunes and our sacred honor.

New Hampshire: Josiah Bartlett, William Whipple, Matthew Thornton

Massachusetts: John Hancock, Samual Adams, John Adams, Robert Treat Paine, Elbridge Gerry

Rhode Island: Stephen Hopkins, William Ellery

Connecticut: Roger Sherman, Samuel Huntington, William Williams, Oliver Wolcott

New York: William Floyd, Philip Livingston, Francis Lewis, Lewis Morris

New Jersey: Richard Stockton, John Witherspoon, Francis Hopkinson, John Hart, Abraham Clark

Pennsylvania: Robert Morris, Benjamin Rush, Benjamin Franklin, John Morton, George Clymer, James Smith, George Taylor, James Wilson, George Ross

Delaware: Caesar Rodney, George Read, Thomas McKean

Maryland: Samuel Chase, William Paca, Thomas Stone, Charles Carroll of Carrollton

Virginia: George Wythe, Richard Henry Lee, Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Harrison, Thomas Nelson, Jr., Francis Lightfoot Lee, Carter Braxton

North Carolina: William Hooper, Joseph Hewes, John Penn

South Carolina: Edward Rutledge, Thomas Heyward, Jr., Thomas Lynch, Jr., Arthur Middleton

Georgia: Button Gwinnett, Lyman Hall, George Walton

Last edited by a moderator:
". . . We are what makes America. Regular people like you and me putting a greater good ahead of themselves and doing rad stuff. People showing kindness and generosity to each other. People doing their best to display empathy to one another and trying to understand when they see something differently. People assuming the best of each other. . . ."

X 1,000

a lot about your country is great. a lot about your country is garbage. 

like mine. and like anyone else's. it's cool to be proud of where you're from, it's pretty natural behaviour. i always find it odd when it needs to be justified. 

like mine. and like anyone else's. it's cool to be proud of where you're from, it's pretty natural behaviour. i always find it odd when it needs to be justified. 
Because more than most countries, America started as an Enlightenment ideal, a democratic republic that hadn't been seen since the Greeks and Romans, and we were on different footing than them -- our nation was founded with natural rights stemming from God in mind.

It's partly why belief in the country is so important to Americans. Our patriotism is tied to neither land nor crown, but a system of governance that stems from the aforementioned natural rights believed by Enlightenment authors to exist self-evidently in mankind. It takes a whole lot of belief in the face of all evidence to the contrary that natural rights exist, for we see them denied so often in so many other places, to such an extreme that killing amongst men seems standard rather than peaceable relations between them. To believe in the concept, or core idea, of natural rights given by God takes a belief in rights at all, rights not divined by kings (very important), but by God as extended to each and every man, writ large. 

Whatever the deist tendencies of the Founders were, and objections given by revisionists along the way about religion in an increasingly secular world, this is what we were founded upon and why belief in the American project is so important to Americans. It is our only source of edification and patriotism, these ideas.

I just read a NY Times Article addressing waving the US Flag these days. Seems some associate the flag with conservatism and MAGA.

I'm flying Old Glory in front of my house today. I'm wearing a RWB tshirt. 

I am not a fan of MAGA. In fact, I've always believed America has always been great!

Happy 4th Everybody!
This is a symptom of a bigger problem. 

I'm a proud American. I've dedicated my professional life to national security. And I'm not a huge flag guy. But I put our flag out for our national holidays partly to counter this narrative. No one has any right to claim ownership of the symbol or the narrative. 

Happy 4th!

Great write up @Joe Bryant. We Canadians typically do not have the same level of overt patriotism but I appreciate how our American neighbors display theirs, especially when it comes with the positive perspective conveyed in the opening post.

Happy 4th to my American friends!

Whatever the deist tendencies of the Founders were, and objections given by revisionists along the way about religion in an increasingly secular world, this is what we were founded upon and why belief in the American project is so important to Americans. It is our only source of edification and patriotism, these ideas.
I don't find a huge disparity between what the "american project" is (or is meant to be) and what basically most 1st world countries subscribe to. 

Just out of curiousity, what do you believe is - and this may be far too broad a question in scope - are the fundamental differences between the american project and let's say Canadian (or others)? I've lived in a few countries and spent a LOT of time in the US (I can ALMOST throw a baseball over the niagara river and hit the US... not a joke), and I feel at the core, the ideals and beliefs are near identical for the most part, even if worded differently in the "charters" of all these places

New Hampshire: Josiah Bartlett, William Whipple, Matthew Thornton

Massachusetts: John Hancock, Samual Adams, John Adams, Robert Treat Paine, Elbridge Gerry

Rhode Island: Stephen Hopkins, William Ellery

Connecticut: Roger Sherman, Samuel Huntington, William Williams, Oliver Wolcott

New York: William Floyd, Philip Livingston, Francis Lewis, Lewis Morris

New Jersey: Richard Stockton, John Witherspoon, Francis Hopkinson, John Hart, Abraham Clark

Pennsylvania: Robert Morris, Benjamin Rush, Benjamin Franklin, John Morton, George Clymer, James Smith, George Taylor, James Wilson, George Ross

Delaware: Caesar Rodney, George Read, Thomas McKean

Maryland: Samuel Chase, William Paca, Thomas Stone, Charles Carroll of Carrollton

Virginia: George Wythe, Richard Henry Lee, Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Harrison, Thomas Nelson, Jr., Francis Lightfoot Lee, Carter Braxton

North Carolina: William Hooper, Joseph Hewes, John Penn

South Carolina: Edward Rutledge, Thomas Heyward, Jr., Thomas Lynch, Jr., Arthur Middleton

Georgia: Button Gwinnett, Lyman Hall, George Walton
From Wikipedia

...when it was Carroll's turn to sign the Declaration of Independence, he rose, went to John Hancock's desk where the document rested, signed his name "Charles Carroll" and returned to his seat. At this point another member of the Continental Congress, who was prejudiced against Carroll because of his Catholicism, commented that Carroll risked nothing in signing the document, as there must be many men named Charles Carroll in the colonies, and so the King would be unlikely to order Carroll's arrest without clear proof that he was the same Charles Carroll who had signed the Declaration. Carroll immediately returned to Hancock's desk, seized the pen again, and added "of Carrollton" to his name.

I don't find a huge disparity between what the "american project" is (or is meant to be) and what basically most 1st world countries subscribe to. 

Just out of curiousity, what do you believe is - and this may be far too broad a question in scope - are the fundamental differences between the american project and let's say Canadian? I've lived in a few countries and spent a LOT of time in the US (I can ALMOST throw a baseball over the niagara river and hit the US... not a joke), and I feel at the core, the ideals and beliefs are near identical for the most part, even if worded differently in their "charters"
There isn't anymore, really. There was until WWI and WWII, though. Don't forget you still had monarchies all over Europe, failing democracies out of Empires, etc. Everything from monarchies to communism to fascism was still on the table in Europe until about 1989. Europe is still in its infancy with democracy, really.

I think America is unique in our establishment of the first effective modern democracy. Other nations followed the model to varying degrees after WWI and WWII, but before then, most places were still monarchical. Canada is a constitutional monarchy rather than a democratic republic. We have different types of legislatures. We have a different conception of what federalism should be. We also have a different sense of a separation of powers.

But project? Yes, the projects are similar. There seems to be an agreement about human rights and the dignity of man among most industrialized European states, Canada, and America.

One big difference between us and other countries like yours and European ones is that we have an absolute set of rights codified almost from our Constitution's origin, extended to people against encroachment by first the federal, and now mostly the state governments. European states and Canada do not have such an absolutist views of say, freedom of speech that America has. Nor are there constitutional protections for things like guns, self-incrimination, the list goes on. Those have been adopted by Human Rights Commissions and Canada, but they're not bedrocks, nor set in stone.

Also, few nations mention God at all in their founding, because their religious impulses are different and their founding was much later than ours. To whatever degree their democracies look like the United States, they are different in that character. Americans are more religious than their Canadian and European counterparts.

This is a symptom of a bigger problem. 

I'm a proud American. I've dedicated my professional life to national security. And I'm not a huge flag guy. But I put our flag out for our national holidays partly to counter this narrative. No one has any right to claim ownership of the symbol or the narrative. 

Happy 4th!
This is it.

Happy 4th all. Enjoy some grilling, hanging with your people.

Don’t blow off any fingers or start any fires. 

European states and Canada do not have such an absolutist views of say, freedom of speech that America has. Nor are there constitutional protections for things like guns, self-incrimination, the list goes on. Those have been adopted by Human Rights Commissions and Canada, but they're not bedrocks, nor set in stone.
tbf, Canada does have the Charter of Rights and Freedoms (Canada's "SUPREME LAW"). A federal 'document', part of our constitution, which obv came MUCH later than yours...

It outlines: Fundamental freedoms. Democratic rights. Mobility rights. Legal rights. Equality rights. Official Language rights. Minority language educational rights.

These are set in stone... But yes, I do get your jist.

tbf, Canada does have the Charter of Rights and Freedoms (Canada's "SUPREME LAW"). A federal 'document', part of our constitution, which obv came MUCH later than yours...

It outlines: Fundamental freedoms. Democratic rights. Mobility rights. Legal rights. Equality rights. Official Language rights. Minority language educational rights.

These are set in stone... But yes, I do get your jist.
I agree. I tried to convey that a bit, but instead pointed out the age and absolutism of our rights. Canada has the Charter, but the rights are clearly different, as are the concerns. They're more up for modern interpretation. Take the First Amendment. Our political speech is pretty absolute. Canada seems to have a stream of cases whereby the speech that some make is considered "hate speech" that isn't protected by any law. In fact, you can be sanctioned.

But yes, you have the Charter and most members of the European Union have the ECHR, or the European Commission on Human Rights to fall back on. They cover a lot of the same things the Bill of Rights does, just as I said, less absolutely than ours. Actually, I just looked at the Charter, and the first sentence in Wiki is about the differences between the U.S. Constitution and the Charter, and it focuses on American absolutism regarding rights versus Canadian qualification of rights. That's what I was always led to believe and apparently that is the case.

So there are differences, but the overall project is very similar.

Because more than most countries, America started as an Enlightenment ideal, a democratic republic that hadn't been seen since the Greeks and Romans, and we were on different footing than them -- our nation was founded with natural rights stemming from God in mind.

It's partly why belief in the country is so important to Americans. Our patriotism is tied to neither land nor crown, but a system of governance that stems from the aforementioned natural rights believed by Enlightenment authors to exist self-evidently in mankind. It takes a whole lot of belief in the face of all evidence to the contrary that natural rights exist, for we see them denied so often in so many other places, to such an extreme that killing amongst men seems standard rather than peaceable relations between them. To believe in the concept, or core idea, of natural rights given by God takes a belief in rights at all, rights not divined by kings (very important), but by God as extended to each and every man, writ large. 

The irony is that this has been corrupted by the Christian Nationalist movement who, through revisionist history, have claimed the nation was founded under their god.  This thinking ultimately led to the insurrection on January 6th where they attempted to silence the votes of the majority of their fellow Americans.  Not exactly what the founding fathers had in mind.

Like a handsome swashbuckler in Hollywood, our country does have an interesting and impressive past, but what about the present?  Patriotic feelings are great, similar to familial, we are born into both.  

edit: I only now digested your post about the religious angle to America.  I don't know enough of other countries to say what role religion played. Are we more religious or agnostic relative to other countries now?  I'm sure religion helped shape some societal guidelines and I am grateful for that. 

I know we have our problems, but when the chips are down, we’ll work together and get the job done. The problem is that it too often takes a major disaster to bring this reaction out of people. Still, I’ll be glad to help my neighbor out with something, and I’m still proud to be an American.

I know we have our problems, but when the chips are down, we’ll work together and get the job done. The problem is that it too often takes a major disaster to bring this reaction out of people. Still, I’ll be glad to help my neighbor out with something, and I’m still proud to be an American.
This has not been my experience since March 2020.  

This has not been my experience since March 2020.  
In fairness, this was an entirely new experience for all of us, and it didn’t help that the threat was invisible. I won’t go into politics, because the response should have been common sense anyway no matter what the empty suits in government think. That said, I would like to think that this will be a lesson learned, but we’ll see.

In fairness, this was an entirely new experience for all of us, and it didn’t help that the threat was invisible. I won’t go into politics, because the response should have been common sense anyway no matter what the empty suits in government think. That said, I would like to think that this will be a lesson learned, but we’ll see.
I hope I'm wrong, but I think social media and cable 'news' has changed our ability to come together forever.  

I hope I'm wrong, but I think social media and cable 'news' has changed our ability to come together forever.  
We just got back from a walk. 

Back during the last election I noticed two neighbors with very different political beliefs expressed with strident signage. 

Today during our walk I noticed one of those neighbors hailing the neighbor with the very different political beliefs. 

They greeted each other warmly and took up with a conversation that flowed freely and enthusiastically, both turned and warmly said hello to us with genuine smiles.

I thought that was great.

Good neighbors, good people, creating a good community.  Political beliefs be damned.  They get what really matters.  

Back during the last election I noticed two neighbors with very different political beliefs expressed with strident signage. 

Today during our walk I noticed one of those neighbors hailing the neighbor with the very different political beliefs. 

They greeted each other warmly and took up with a conversation that flowed freely and enthusiastically, both turned and warmly said hello to us with genuine smiles.

Good neighbors, good people, creating a good community.  Political beliefs be damned.  They get what really matters.  
No doubt.  The world is vastly different when we step away from our TV and phones and engage with people directly.  The problem lies in our inability to compromise or work together on things that the aforementioned media and our politicians have politicized.  

We can put politics aside for non-political stuff.  It's becoming tougher and tougher to find non-political things though.  One would have thought we'd come together to fight the pandemic.  Instead it became just another reason to be opposed.  

Thanks for sharing. I love this. And I think it's reality. 

The phone and social media and being agitated and disturbed by the latest website or voice that is primarily invested in keeping your attention is not the reality for lots of people. 

I think we have some say in that. I think we can encourage the neighborly interactions like you describe. We can have those ourselves and we can encourage others to have them. 

Like most things, it comes back to Mr. Rogers and looking for the good. Instead of letting the bad sweep us along. 

Not sure what you think is "justified". I was making a statement that I believe in America. And why. Not a lot deeper than that. 

I'll disagree in "a lot" about the country is great and "a lot" about the country is garbage. I think the good far outweighs the bad. But we still have a lot to improve upon. And I think we're doing that. Which leads back to the original point of why I believe. 

I think the good far outweighs the bad. 
as a white, upper middle class male, of course you do. 

i dont mean that as a dig... i am also that exact profile, and feel the same way as you. but, there are many a person who would disagree with us.

hope you had a rockin' 4th though... looking forward to crossing thr border again 🥳

as a white, upper middle class male, of course you do. 

i dont mean that as a dig... i am also that exact profile, and feel the same way as you. but, there are many a person who would disagree with us.

hope you had a rockin' 4th though... looking forward to crossing thr border again 🥳
We'll disagree there. 

My 4th here wasn't what I'd describe as "rockin'". Mostly quiet at home as we lost someone close that night after a long bout with cancer. No worries on your part. There was no way you could have known that. But it's a good reminder to me most of us here haven't a clue what's going on with other people. 

If you prefer to continue turning what I said about believing in America because I believe in the people into a race issue, please take it the July 4th thread in the Political Forum. Thanks. 

I was watching some Netlfix documentaries over the weekend, and one was about China's one-child policy.  It was quite eye-opening.

But what really stuck with me is that there seem to be so few countries where one can openly criticize the government without fear of reprisal.  I take that for granted, but am reminded that I shouldn't.  What if I lived in a country where I had to toe the line?  Could I just stay on the sidelines or in the shadows?  What if the mob/government showed-up at my door and demanded that I do/say something horrible?  Would I do what they demanded in order to preserve my way of life and family (I fear that I would)?

I'm so thankful that I don't have to make that choice.  

I have spent half of my adult life in Canada, and half in the United States.  There are differences, for sure.  And I always thought each country would be better if it could learn from the other.  But the core tenet of being able to call your leaders "[insert disparaging remark here]" is present in both, and I too frequently forget how valuable that is.

Anyways, Canada Day and Independence Day are only three days apart.  In Detroit/Windsor, the two are merged into "Freedom Festival".  I always joke that while the US gained its independence through struggle and violence, Canada's independence was like that day you move out of your parents' house:  Canadians achieved roughly the same result, but far less dramatically.  And that "same result, less fire" approach seems to have stuck as a difference between the two countries.  Perhaps the lessons the UK learned in 1776 benefited Canada in 1867?

Anyways, happy Canada Day and happy Independence Day.  Here's to sharing "best practices" and making one another better as a result.

Like a handsome swashbuckler in Hollywood, our country does have an interesting and impressive past, but what about the present?  Patriotic feelings are great, similar to familial, we are born into both.  

edit: I only now digested your post about the religious angle to America.  I don't know enough of other countries to say what role religion played. Are we more religious or agnostic relative to other countries now?  I'm sure religion helped shape some societal guidelines and I am grateful for that. 
I am not sure what to say about the past and the present. Our impressive past comes from the ideas behind the sanctity and rights of man; it was never been rightfully extended in America to all qualified parties until the franchise to vote was recognized for women. And while extended to blacks, there have been enough games and problems to say that the American dream hasn't been fully extended yet, but Joe doesn't want to make this political, and neither do I.

I would say that we are more religious compared to other Western countries with the exception of theocracies in the Middle East, Asia, and Africa, and who knows how those people would react if religion wasn't forced upon them and they freely chose their lot. I know that we're way more churchgoing and religious than the rest of the West. Here's a link from Pew Research Center, which I believe is a study and abstract. 

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2018/07/31/americans-are-far-more-religious-than-adults-in-other-wealthy-nations/

Thanks @rockaction  And to be clear, I'd rather not make this FFA thread on this political. I posted the same thing in the Political Forum and if folks would prefer to take it in a political direction, I'd rather they do it in the political forum. Thanks. 

We'll disagree there. 

My 4th here wasn't what I'd describe as "rockin'". Mostly quiet at home as we lost someone close that night after a long bout with cancer. No worries on your part. There was no way you could have known that. But it's a good reminder to me most of us here haven't a clue what's going on with other people. 

If you prefer to continue turning what I said about believing in America because I believe in the people into a race issue, please take it the July 4th thread in the Political Forum. Thanks. 
Sorry the hear that, that's a real bummer. 

And no, I don't prefer to make it political or about race. I just think it's much easier for you or I to "believe" in our countries, is all. 

But I'm done. Hopefully things just improve in general, everywhere. 

As Dave Chappelle said, everyone in America is racist, and everyone in China is Chinese.

All patriotism, pride aside, everything tangible in this county is getting worse and will continue to get worse.  Too much "pick a side" going on that only grows and grows.  Too much greed.  The government is a suck a cesspool of crap to the point where it would be an impossible task to right that ship.  

At least there are a lot of rich people.  

Happy 4th!!!!!

Where's that Jeff Daniel's rant from that one show a decade ago when ya need it.

Users who are viewing this thread