What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Home Audio (1 Viewer)

RC94

Footballguy
I did a search but didn't find any threads on this.  We can use this to talk about buying products, setting them up, and anything else involving home audio.  

My question is that I'm looking to buy a new stereo.  I'd like something small but still sounds good.  I kind of liked that Bose system, even though I remember many here don't like Bose that much.  I'm not set on any particular brand, but that's basically what I'm looking for - something small with built in speakers but still sounds good.  Any recommendations?

Get a Marantz 2238B, Dynaco A25 speakers, and a decent bluetooth converter and you are ready to go.  You should be able to find them for under 1k.  They are small and sound really good.  

You can get a cool old school Boom Box if you want attached speakers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the CheapAudioMan channel on YouTube.  I just stumbled upon this over the weekend.  I think he has a sub $500 system he recommends but here's the $350 or less video which I watched : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkIjvasMAA8 

My thing is, is that I have an odd situation.  Originally, I had a stereo only setup in my office along with an oversized L shape desk.  Then, about 3 years ago or so our main Sony TV in our living room failed.  I really loved the picture on that TV, it's an old LCD Sony but I was torn b/c even though it was only a 52-inch TV and I didn't want to throw it in the trash I also wanted to get a 4K TV with a larger picture for the living room so I bought a bigger, nicer TV for the living room and put the old Sony in my office and researched the issue until I finally figured out what was wrong with that old Sony, fixed it and put it in my office. 

So, the issue I kind of struggle with is, is that I watch a bit of TV in my office but I want to mainly listen to music in my office again.  I have some lovely headphones but I also have some wonderful speakers I've had for years and I fight myself with this quandary of do I build a system out (I mean piece and part it together) for both audio and video or just make it audio only?  So far for the past 3 years, I've chosen to just research it, put it off and work on other projects.

In my old audio only set up, I have a really nice cassette deck (still works) but I don't use it, I have a really nice CD changer but it's 25+ years old and it no longer works and I don't have an allowance for blue tooth, no DAC, nothing for CD's nor FLAC/WAV/MP3, nor over the air nor satellite audio and the biggest issue is that I don't listen to audio much but I miss it and I really don't want to pour a ton of money into it.  However, I also don't want to paint myself into a corner by spending a lot of money on something and then regretting that I didn't account for this or that later so I'm kind of cozying up to the idea of just buying inexpensive audio only gear (skip accounting for video for now) to just get it up and running and then worry about something more permanent later, maybe see about adding video in at that time, maybe not.

Sorry for the long response! :)

I like the CheapAudioMan channel on YouTube.  I just stumbled upon this over the weekend.  I think he has a sub $500 system he recommends but here's the $350 or less video which I watched : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkIjvasMAA8 

My thing is, is that I have an odd situation.  Originally, I had a stereo only setup in my office along with an oversized L shape desk.  Then, about 3 years ago or so our main Sony TV in our living room failed.  I really loved the picture on that TV, it's an old LCD Sony but I was torn b/c even though it was only a 52-inch TV and I didn't want to throw it in the trash I also wanted to get a 4K TV with a larger picture for the living room so I bought a bigger, nicer TV for the living room and put the old Sony in my office and researched the issue until I finally figured out what was wrong with that old Sony, fixed it and put it in my office. 

So, the issue I kind of struggle with is, is that I watch a bit of TV in my office but I want to mainly listen to music in my office again.  I have some lovely headphones but I also have some wonderful speakers I've had for years and I fight myself with this quandary of do I build a system out (I mean piece and part it together) for both audio and video or just make it audio only?  So far for the past 3 years, I've chosen to just research it, put it off and work on other projects.

In my old audio only set up, I have a really nice cassette deck (still works) but I don't use it, I have a really nice CD changer but it's 25+ years old and it no longer works and I don't have an allowance for blue tooth, no DAC, nothing for CD's nor FLAC/WAV/MP3, nor over the air nor satellite audio and the biggest issue is that I don't listen to audio much but I miss it and I really don't want to pour a ton of money into it.  However, I also don't want to paint myself into a corner by spending a lot of money on something and then regretting that I didn't account for this or that later so I'm kind of cozying up to the idea of just buying inexpensive audio only gear (skip accounting for video for now) to just get it up and running and then worry about something more permanent later, maybe see about adding video in at that time, maybe not.

Sorry for the long response! :)
I"m in an almost identical setup as you are in my office, down to the oversize L shape desk.  I have a stereo setup in there, that I always had a big old surround sounder receiver powering.  i'd wanted to go down to a smaller receiver, but still wanted Video, and that was just hard to find.  Pioneer just recently put out a new stereo receiver w/ video switching that has worked really nicely for me.  It's not inexpensive, but I think it does a good job of bridging the stereo and video worlds.

https://www.pioneerhomeusa.com/product/sx-s30-2/

Last edited by a moderator:
You can add blue tooth to almost anything for like $40.  As long as it has that aux input   

I"m in an almost identical setup as you are in my office, down to the oversize L shape desk.  I have a stereo setup in there, that I always had a big old surround sounder receiver powering.  i'd wanted to go down to a smaller receiver, but still wanted Video, and that was just hard to find.  Pioneer just recently put out a new stereo receiver w/ video switching that has worked really nicely for me.  It's not inexpensive, but I think it does a good job of bridging the stereo and video worlds.

https://www.pioneerhomeusa.com/product/sx-s30-2/

Thank you very much for the response and recommendation.  Unfortunately, as I'm sure you're probably already aware, this is pretty much sold out everywhere.  Hopefully, this whole wonky supply chain issue will get resolved or reconciled soon!

Users who are viewing this thread