What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Greenwald : The Masking of the Servant Class (1 Viewer)

Dr_Zaius

Footballguy
https://greenwald.substack.com/p/the-masking-of-the-servant-class

Long opinion piece that hits on an aspect of the pandemic that really gnaws at my sensibilities :  places where masks are almost exclusively worn by workers and not patrons.  It bothered me at an outdoor concert that I attended last month, and of course it is ubiquitous in restaurants.  Greenwald focuses on celebrities and the powerful, but you see it with basically any business that interacts with the general public.  Logically, I can understand why it happens, as businesses want to reassure customers and be seen to be taking things seriously, and yet are loathe to mandate that guests mask in order to not lose revenue, but the end result just has too much of a whiff of dystopia to me.  Curious if folks here feel similarly or not.

the server is interacting with dozens of people a day

the servee is possibly interacting with one.

Long opinion piece that hits on an aspect of the pandemic that really gnaws at my sensibilities :  places where masks are almost exclusively worn by workers and not patrons.  It bothered me at an outdoor concert that I attended last month, and of course it is ubiquitous in restaurants.  Greenwald focuses on celebrities and the powerful, but you see it with basically any business that interacts with the general public.  Logically, I can understand why it happens, as businesses want to reassure customers and be seen to be taking things seriously, and yet are loathe to mandate that guests mask in order to not lose revenue, but the end result just has too much of a whiff of dystopia to me.  Curious if folks here feel similarly or not.
That sounds like an utter reach. I follow Greenwald on Twitter, so I'm not averse to his stylings, but I think he's really missing it here.

I think it would be for them as much as the people they are serving.

I have notice since this started how much people spit when they talk. It happens a lot  :X

the server is interacting with dozens of people a day

the servee is possibly interacting with one.
I mean, it depends, does it not?  At the aforementioned concert, basically a whole bunch of people are gathered [outside] for several hours, and only the tiny subset that are employed by the venue are masked.  Not planning on attending any sporting events, but I imagine the story is similar there.  At a restaurant, if you have a party of 10 people that are there for an hour, to the extent that aerosolized spread is a thing they could be leaving behind a whole cloud of coronavirus for everyone else to breathe in.  Of course, you can't really eat with a mask on, so :shrug:   Regardless, like I said in the OP, I'm curious to see if I'm on an island here, as it seems to bother me on an egalitarian, visceral level, rather than necessarily on a logical level.

I've noticed this too, and it's kind of gross.  Obviously these class differences have existed for a very long time, but the mask thing takes it in a more disturbing direction by making the servant class literally faceless.  It's the kind of the thing that a hack novelist would use as a metaphor and get chastised by his editor for being too on-the-nose.

has it REALLY ever been about safety ? 

google has many example from Pelosi and her hair to Newsom and his dinners to Obama and his parties where the ones demanding people were masks are not wearing masks

why?  simply put - they're not scared/afraid of covid ... not of getting it, not of spreading it

but they demand everyone else be

that people STILL put up with the hypocrisy instead of calling it what it is baffles me 

has it REALLY ever been about safety ? 

google has many example from Pelosi and her hair to Newsom and his dinners to Obama and his parties where the ones demanding people were masks are not wearing masks

why?  simply put - they're not scared/afraid of covid ... not of getting it, not of spreading it

but they demand everyone else be

that people STILL put up with the hypocrisy instead of calling it what it is baffles me 
While there's plenty of hypocrisy to go around, I was trying to get at something different, where you're not actually breaking the rules but the rules themselves are somewhat tied to status.  The sports leagues where the officials are the only ones running around masked would be a good non-political example of this.  Why not just test them like the players and give them an exemption?  The only explanation I can come up with is they are lower in the pecking order than the players.  Along the same lines, I believe Australia has some exemptions to its closed borders that just so happen to allow powerful people to leave and return to the country, unlike the hoi polloi.

While there's plenty of hypocrisy to go around, I was trying to get at something different, where you're not actually breaking the rules but the rules themselves are somewhat tied to status.  The sports leagues where the officials are the only ones running around masked would be a good non-political example of this.  Why not just test them like the players and give them an exemption?  The only explanation I can come up with is they are lower in the pecking order than the players.  Along the same lines, I believe Australia has some exemptions to its closed borders that just so happen to allow powerful people to leave and return to the country, unlike the hoi polloi.

I mean yeah, but idiocy and knee jerk abounds in this nation. We keep everyone apart at airports 6' for protection ... them cram them 6" apart on planes for a 3 hour flight

that's just stupid but they do it right ?

same with things like the ceremony on 9-11 .... or the MET Gala event etc

practice what they preach isn't a rule anymore it seems 

Happy to see that Reason picked up on this one too.

On Monday, the annual Met Gala brought celebrities, athletes, and politicians to the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City for a fancy fundraiser. This year, much attention was paid to Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D–N.Y.), who wore a dress with the message "tax the rich" written on it.

The irony of AOC demanding higher taxes on the rich while partying with them at a celebrity-filled extravaganza that costs $30,000 a ticket wasn't lost on anyone; the congresswoman addressed the criticism by noting that it was her responsibility as a New York City official to help keep "cultural institutions open to the public," and the fundraiser helps pay for the museum.

AOC's right that the discord between the message on her dress and her attendance at the event shouldn't be making people upset. That's because the real issue here isn't inconsistency on wealth inequality—it's rank hypocrisy on pandemic restrictions.

In photos from the event, neither AOC nor any of the other famous invitees—Megan Rapinoe, Billie Eilish, Lil Nas X, Rep. Carolyn Maloney (D–N.Y.), Dan Levy,  and on and on—wear masks. (The same cannot be said of the staff members attending to the celebrities' needs.) Why do the rich and famous get a pass?

For what it's worth, the museum's policy couldn't be clearer: All visitors ages two years and older are required to wear masks at all times, regardless of vaccination status. They are also expected to maintain six feet of distance from other people at all times. AOC said she was working to keep the museum open to the public, but when the public visits the museum, they are obligated to follow irritating and (in the case of masks for the vaccinated) largely pointless procedures. Yet the city's elite are exempted from such requirements.

In fact, the law treats non-celebrities like second-class citizens. Hypocrisy is written into New York City's official COVID-19 policies. The city's mandate requires vaccination in a wide variety of circumstances: restaurant customers, gym employees, and museum visitors can all be asked to show their vaccination cards. Visiting celebrities, though, are exempt. The law specifically excludes out-of-town athletes, performance artists, and their entourages. (Last year's quarantine orders similarly exempted the same groups of people.)

New Yorkers who object to the vaccine for their own reasons, or have robust immunity following a prior infection, are still obligated to obey the mandate. Nationally, the federal government has grown increasingly willing to push vaccination and masks. Most students sitting inside a classroom at present are probably forced to wear a mask, whether they have been vaccinated or not. But when the elites get together for a party, the rules appear to go out the window.

This has been a recurring theme of the pandemic, of course. California Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) imposed brutal restrictions on California residents and demanded extreme social distancing, but had no compunction about attending a private dinner with a lobbyist at the luxurious French Laundry. At the start of the pandemic, Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot told city residents that they should delay getting haircuts. "Getting your roots done is not essential," she said. When she said "your roots," she really did mean your roots, because the mayor absolutely went and got a haircut anyway. She justified it by saying: "I'm the public face of this city. I'm on national media and I'm out in the public eye."

If the pandemic is over for the aristocracy, it should be over for the commoners too—particularly those who got the shot. AOC and her friends should feel free to get dressed up and go to the ball, but maybe the rest of us vaccinated folks don't need to wear masks in gyms, residence halls, or while walking from the entrance of the restaurant to the table.

https://reason.com/2021/09/15/met-gala-aoc-covid-pandemic-hypocrisy/

Users who are viewing this thread