What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official*** Dashcam thread (1 Viewer)

gianmarco

Footballguy
This was mentioned in the recent State Farm thread and I thought it might make sense to invest in one now as the price point is reasonable and it could end up saving a good bit in the event of an accident or dispute.

So, anyone have one that they like or don't like and can share any experiences?  Things to look for?

I'm wondering if I want cloud capability to make sure anything being recorded is safe in the event of destruction or an accident.  Front or front/back?  Anything else that is needed or things that aren't necessary?

Last edited by a moderator:
BlackVue seems to be well-regarded with all the features you are looking for. 

I have two older models from them.  One in my wife's car, one in my car (up north).  

Front & back on both cars.  No cloud features activated (I'm cheap and don't like monthly subscriptions), but the company does provide the option.

It's nice to have for peace of mind.  I've recorded a close call on my car, as well as some wildlife sightings.  

But when it mattered more, it didn't help much.  My wife was intentionally forced onto the shoulder of a freeway by a road-raging driver.  I called the cops, showed them the video, but because the video wasn't clear enough to get the full plate of the car, they "couldn't" do anything.  You could see some letters of the plate, and the car make/model/colour was apparent, so I figured the partial plate would be enough to search the database for a fit and go after the driver.  The cop said that without the full plate they couldn't do anything.  Which is total BS.  

But anyways, the camera is good, but don't expect CSI-level clarity/zoom if you need it for detail.

Finally, I like these models of cameras because they sit behind the rearview mirror quite nicely and most passengers don't even notice that I have a dashcam.

Can provide some tips with wiring if you don't want cables hanging down from them.

The concept of dashcams is interesting, but why would anyone want one?  In the event of an accident?  Police pulls you over?   I've never had an accident involving another car and haven't been pulled over in 15 years (speeding ticket).

The concept of dashcams is interesting, but why would anyone want one?  In the event of an accident?  Police pulls you over?   I've never had an accident and haven't been pulled over in 15 years.

Well if you're as safe a driver as your post suggests, if you do get into an accident, it will likely be the other person's fault.  So having a dashcam can help to prove that in the event of a dispute.

Well if you're as safe a driver as your post suggests, if you do get into an accident, it will likely be the other person's fault.  So having a dashcam can help to prove that in the event of a dispute.
I suppose it depends on the cost, because the event of an accident is so rare, it has to justify the cost IMO.  Even then it's probably a non-issue.

I suppose it depends on the cost, because the event of an accident is so rare, it has to justify the cost IMO.  Even then it's probably a non-issue.
"A report by Esurance found that 77% of drivers have been in at least one accident. Your chances of getting into a car accident during a 1,000-mile trip are 1 in 366.

Car insurance estimates that the average driver will file an insurance claim for an auto collision once every 17.9 years. This means that if you obtain your driver’s license at age 16, you will likely have a crash by the time you are 34. This means the average person has 3-4 vehicle accidents over the course of their lifetime."

You could be the best, safest driver in the history of history... but if someone else around you ####s up, you're likely going to be in an accident. 

Average cost for each death in a motor vehicle accident: $1,130,000
Average cost for each nonfatal disabling injury: $61,600
Average cost for each property damage crash (includes non-disabling injuries): $7,500
Average economic cost for incapacitating injury crash: $65,000
Average economic cost for non-incapacitating evident injury crash: $21,00
Average economic cost for possible injury crash: $11,900”

Dash Cam: $3-400ish installed

Of course, if you drive a POS beater of a car and live in the boonies, no, you probably don't need a dash cam. 

The concept of dashcams is interesting, but why would anyone want one?  In the event of an accident?  Police pulls you over?   I've never had an accident involving another car and haven't been pulled over in 15 years (speeding ticket).
I recently spoted a gal walking down hwy 98 in her bra and panties.

Id like to get another look at that.

Rare?  Hardly, I would say. (Anecdotal no data)

The biggest thing for me (and like Johnny U) is the misconception that because you are a safe driver with no at fault accidents that you can breeze thru insurance #### without getting whacked.  Not true and I'm sure many know it but even if it is the other person's fault, they will still raise your raise your rates.  And if they are raising your rates on no fault accidents, you think they aren't bumping them higher  even higher on accidents that are your fault?  

For a hundred bucks a camera, you get peace of mind from an unnecessary stressor.

Plus, you can sometimes find neat #### around your vehicle when you ain't around lol.  

My parked Dashcam actually did solve a crime (well, minor crime).  It was a shoplifting event where they could see the perp's car but not the plate and saw my dashcam on my car with a full view of plate.  Binga-banga-bonga... I did my passive civic duty as they snagged the items and the guy.

30 reasons to get a dash cam

Users who are viewing this thread