What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Top 100 Heavy Metal and glam rock acts from the MTV era - it's still real to me (1 Viewer)

Billy Squier -- also an influencer, got canceled back in the day because of tight pants, was on my list for a while, but same as Heart, the sound isn't right

We'll see a few classic rock, AOR acts though
Never saw Squier as a '"glam" rock act, but his Hear and Now album was released in that heyday, and I have a hard time separating it.  That is one fantastic album though, and the 1-2-3- opening punch of Rock Out/Punch Somebody, Stronger, and Don't Say You Love Me was great. 

99. Nelson

As for Nelson, well, sure, they're awful. They're phony.  They're wannabes.  Yet, even if you can't bring yourself to call them by any form of the metal genre.. the ingredients were there - slippery little guitar hooks, hard hitting drums - and they certainly made a cultural impact.  Their ridiculousness was a black mark on the whole scene.  There would be more black marks to come..

I heard a studio technician interviewed on the radio awhile back and this band came up as a subject. He said the vocals on Love And Affection were not sung organically but were edited together, and then double-tracked. It gave the song a sound that could never be replicated live and they quickly got a reputation for being awful in concert. 

I heard a studio technician interviewed on the radio awhile back and this band came up as a subject. He said the vocals on Love And Affection were not sung organically but were edited together, and then double-tracked. It gave the song a sound that could never be replicated live and they quickly got a reputation for being awful in concert. 
Their sister Tracy would probably term them square pegs in a round hole. #obscure80sreference

Last edited by a moderator:
98. King Diamond / Mercyful Fate

Copenhagen's third or fourth finest.  Former punks/ thrash metal genre shapers.  PMRC Bad List credibility.  Homey walks the talk and is a real life Satanist too.. although in these less mysterious times we've all figured out that really just means an atheist with a grudge.

I don't love the screaming, and we'll have a bit more of that soon, but all in all not too much.

KD would always pop up late on Headbangers Ball.  15 year old me found the music a little out of reach and I'd mostly just roll my eyes at the shtick.  But I cannot deny the man his place in history.

Melissa
Abigail

Welcome home Grandma

Slumming it with some stans

Fans of "real" metal aren't gonna like that I drop in bands like this behind the Wingers of the world, but I guess that's how the cookies crumble in the mostly-hair-metal ranking biz

98. King Diamond / Mercyful Fate

Copenhagen's third or fourth finest.  Former punks/ thrash metal genre shapers.  PMRC Bad List credibility.  Homey walks the talk and is a real life Satanist too.. although in these less mysterious times we've all figured out that really just means an atheist with a grudge.

I don't love the screaming, and we'll have a bit more of that soon, but all in all not too much.

KD would always pop up late on Headbangers Ball.  15 year old me found the music a little out of reach and I'd mostly just roll my eyes at the shtick.  But I cannot deny the man his place in history.
He always seemed very black and white.

97. Love/Hate

LET ME TOUCH YOUR COOKIES!  LET ME EAT YOUR COOKIES!

These guys showed up toward the tail end of the party; I remember when this hit and a few people I knew were really into it.  The production is tight, in your face, but the music hasn't aged super well.  I don't find these songs to be particularly inspiring or fleshed out.. and I don't think this band had much in the way of chops.

Fact is, by 89/90 just about anybody who called themselves a metal band were getting signed, flooding the market and flaming out.  More on this soon when I get to Salty Dog.

Jizzy Pearl is a monster singer, all the same, and he's gone on to work with probably half a dozen retreads, including bands we'll be talking about later here, out on the crusty rocker circuit.  

Rock Queen

Blackout in the Red Room

No love for the King, huh? OK back to sleezers
King Diamond legit scared me as a young kid. They were the easy softball tossed to my church elders who taught on Wednesdays that rock music was the devil's music. We didn't have to play Beatles records backwards or look at secret messages on album art or claim what K.I.S.S. stood for or listen to One by Three Dog Night and discuss how it was about pulling away from Jesus. King Diamond had a true, legit Satan worshipper in the band and painted faces and quoted Anton LeVey. Plus, they were darn foreigners. 

Like a lot of these bands, I didn't get a good listen until later on. Metallica's 11 minute cover on Garage, Inc. had me flocking to Half Price Books to pick up super cheap King Diamond/Mercyful Fate CDs. Thanks Lars!!

96. Vixen

Sadly there were more guys with fake girl names than there were actual girls in this scene.  Vixen were pretty lame, but they were all woman and they wore it well.

Fascinating facts about Vixen: 
They're from Minnesota like Prince and the Hold Steady
Richard Marx cowrote and produced their biggest stuff
Their lineup has been a revolving door and none of the classic lineup are still in the band.  Founder Jan Kuehnemund has passed.  T&P
Current singer Lorraine Lewis fronted another 80's glam metal group, Femme Fatale.  They were just plain bad and belong nowhere near this list.

Edge of a Broken Heart

Three more lady-led acts on the list.  Can't see myself adding more.  No Joan, no Great Kat

96. Vixen

Sadly there were more guys with fake girl names than there were actual girls in this scene.  Vixen were pretty lame, but they were all woman and they wore it well.

Their lineup has been a revolving door and none of the classic lineup are still in the band.  Founder Jan Kuehnemund has passed.  T&P
Current singer Lorraine Lewis fronted another 80's glam metal group, Femme Fatale.  They were just plain bad and belong nowhere near this list.

Edge of a Broken Heart

Three more lady-led acts on the list.  Can't see myself adding more.  No Joan, no Great Kat

Finally one I remember!

VHI had a show where they brought back the band to reperform their hit 20 years later....Vixen was one of those bands.

96. Vixen

Edge of a Broken Heart

Teenage me remembers her being extremely pleasing to the eye in Femme Fatale's "Falling In and Out of Love" video though.  :wub:

96. Vixen

Edge of a Broken Heart

Saw Vixen open for Bad Company in 1989. Buddy of mine won front row tickets and took me. 15 year old me thought this chicks were hot! :wub:

plinko said:
97. Love/Hate

LET ME TOUCH YOUR COOKIES!  LET ME EAT YOUR COOKIES!

These guys showed up toward the tail end of the party; I remember when this hit and a few people I knew were really into it.  The production is tight, in your face, but the music hasn't aged super well.  I don't find these songs to be particularly inspiring or fleshed out.. and I don't think this band had much in the way of chops.

Fact is, by 89/90 just about anybody who called themselves a metal band were getting signed, flooding the market and flaming out.  More on this soon when I get to Salty Dog.

Jizzy Pearl is a monster singer, all the same, and he's gone on to work with probably half a dozen retreads, including bands we'll be talking about later here, out on the crusty rocker circuit.  

Rock Queen

Blackout in the Red Room
Another '89 band that hit the tail end of it, as you point out. I actually thought they had tons of songwriting skills, if not chops, compared to bands that were coming out around that time. 

Owned both albums they put out. They were a proficient band, all things considered. 

My roommate Bob the Dragon had a Great Kat tape.  So terrible.
Oh my. I think a link is needed. Great Kat? Who the...

Bob the Dragon, though. That makes me almost laugh and I've never met the guy. Perhaps I laugh too easily? Nah, anybody whose mother asks for the dragon...  :lmao:

Nah, anybody whose mother asks for the dragon...  :lmao:
One night we were all taking one of those purity tests, and the question "Have you ever made out with a relative?" came up.  Bob was the only one to answer yes (even though I'm pretty sure The Dragon had never kissed anyone).  Our buddy Perk asked "What Bob, like your cousin?"  Bob deadpanned, "Mother, cousin...what's the difference?"  Still don't know if he was kidding.

Sorry to sidetrack - Plinko should be back to posting any second now.  He stopped by earlier for some Judge Smails' Legendary Chili but headed home about 10 minutes ago.

JFC, this is definitely your wheelhouse if you owned both of their albums.
Very into metal and glam at that point in my life, for sure. I would say that in '87 it was punk and glam/sleaze, '88 was continued glam/glam roots, actually, '89 was thrash and more thrash, and '90 was Sonic Youth/Sub Pop bands. That's how my musical direction went through high school, really. 

So this is right there. Prime years, wheelhouse. And the music was, um, well we'll let this list be a guide. Besides pop in the TRL era, it was probably the worst era. That was something else, too. Perhaps TRL and Dial MTV (remember that daily countdown show?) have a lot to do with music dilution. 

Anyway, I'm spilling the beans and taking names and prisoners among the innocent. 

Hammers and sickles sound like something I have an inkling about...

I graduated HS in ‘89, joined the Air Force and was in tech school for a couple of years. By the time i shipped off to the other side of the world, let’s just say I cared much more about Seattle than LA

So I’m sure there are some hidden gems post ~92 that I’ve never given a fair shake.  

Or have I? :shrug:

People ask me, they say hey you weary old stoner, how do you remember so much about music of yore and men who dressed up like ladies, when you can’t even remember what floor you live on half the time?

Teen brains man .. gotta give a #### though..

BANG!
Say да, да да да
Tell me yes and let's feed the fire!
BANG! BANG!
Say да да да
Nothing less
I wanna hear a YES

94. Gorky Park

BANG

Try to Find Me  Nice little slow ditty
Cover of My Generation that nobody asked for
Moscow Music Peace Festival set

1989's Moscow Music Peace Festival brought together five acts in our top twenty, and these guys.  Together they singled-handedly ended perestroika, and the friendships between our two countries have gotten so strong that today half our government now reports directly to the Russian Premier.

Oh yeah, one other guy showed up to help.. there we are, me and the boys, late at night and we've been glued to this pay-per-view.. all the artists come back out at the end for the big all star encore jam, and there's this fleshy young man on a drum kit who I've never seen before.  If they even introduced him I missed it, because we were like "Who dis?"

Of course, and for some reason, it was none other than...

93. Bonham

John's son Jason put a band together in his early twenties and all due respect, they wrote this stuff and it ain't half bad.

In my research I found that sadly singer Daniel McMaster passed away from sepsis due to a strep infection.  No bueno :(

Predictably, Jason now tours the world playing Zeppelin stuff

Wait For You
Guilty

Users who are viewing this thread