What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who will be this year's Keenen Allen? (1 Viewer)

ponchsox

Footballguy
Or will there one? Guys that we drafted like Benjamin don't count. Someone flying under the radar that will be a good WR2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Second Hurns

Keenan Allen is such a pure route-runner, which is a strong asset -- I think the best bet to put up similar numbers Mike Evans, but he's been on radars.

When I look for potential breakout WR's, I like to look at return men, specifically PR. Guys like Edelman and G.Tate started primarily as punt returners before getting a piece of the offense. Here you can find PPR future WR2-3 guys

The guy that is closest in that role right now is Bruce Ellington

could be jordan mathews who is just an injury away from being on the field every play
My pick as well. Just like Allen last year, he seemed to be the most "NFL ready" WR coming out of this year's draft. All it takes is a Maclin injury or Cooper being ineffective and Matthews becomes a starter for one of the top offenses in the league. He's already been moved up to their WR3 after Week 1.

Surprised there isn't a mention of John Brown for Arizona yet.
I don't think he qualifies. At best he'll be a WR3 in PPR leagues, as he's still behind Floyd and Fitzgerald.

Allen last year became an every week must start and the top target in his team.

I think Justin Hunter is the best bet. He also happens to play for Whisenhunt, just like Allen did.

Not with the stiffs throwing him the ball
Who was throwing Josh Gordon the ball last season when he led the league in receiving?
Quick is the next Josh Gordon? LOL NOPE!
Yeah, because that's exactly what I wrote. For you and perhaps the only other person on the planet not quick enough to get the point*, the point is that a receiver doesn't necessarily need an elite or even respectable QB throwing him the ball for that receiver to put up respectable numbers. It certainly helps, but it's not an absolute requisite. Using the example that Josh Gordon put up league leading receiving numbers with arguably the worst QB situation in the league last year does not equal saying that Brian Quick is the next Josh Gordon.

(* pun intended)

Until something changes in the Josh Gordon situation--I'll go Andrew Hawkins. Ben Tate and Jordan Cameron are both dinged up--and I can see Cleveland falling behind in a lot of their games. I could see this kid being a target monster for a while.

Not with the stiffs throwing him the ball
Who was throwing Josh Gordon the ball last season when he led the league in receiving?
Quick is the next Josh Gordon? LOL NOPE!
Pleas explain your reasoning for why tian quick can't be like josh Gordon?

No one thought that Gordon would be as good as he is now when he was taken in the 2nd round of the supp draft by Cleveland in 2013. Everyone knew he was talented, but no one knew he would dominate in his second year.

Quick was a raw but talented player coming into the league and he has terrific measurables. Those of a wr1. He is also a physical specimen.

He had a mini breakout in week 1 as the focal point of the rams passing game and his coaches have been raving about him.

So tell me why you know for certain that quick can't become an elite wr?

I'm not saying he WILL. I have no idea. But I'm saying I see no reason why he can't develop into that this year if the stars align properly for him.

Justin Hunter

Pros: Everyone pretty much agrees he's a stud in waiting

Cons: I don't see him on the wire in my leagues; he was drafted.

Brian Quick

Pros: 6'4", 25 yrs. old, 4.55 40, poor offense might be throwing a lot to catch up/keep up, no great competition for targets outside of maybe Austin and Cook (for now)

Cons: Plays in a division with tough defenses, below average QB, defense is supposedly strong and might mitigate need to come back, Stedman Bailey coming back after Week 4 bye to make WR corps more crowded.

Allen Hurns

Pros: 4.55 40, 31" vertical, could be thrown to a lot due to need to keep up/catch up, competition for targets beat up atm, knows system, strong preseason and opening to game 1

Cons: Poor QB, supposed to be a running team, two other good WRs vying for few targets (Lee, Shorts), undrafted WRs usually don't have big seasons even after a good game 1, disappeared in 2nd half, only 6'1" so not a huge RZ target

Jordan Matthews

Pros: Talent, guys in front of him are a little creaky health wise, great system, good QB, 4.44 40, draws comparisons to Colston, played on 57/87 snaps (66%) -- Maclin was in on 80, Cooper 78, and after Matthews next highest was just 10 for Jeff Maehl

Cons: Only 3rd on depth chart (but just moved up), few targets (4) in game 1, plays in the slot

John Brown

Pros: Team will throw a lot, coach will use like TY Hilton, already caught a RZ TD, in on 43-of-74 (58 percent) snaps

Cons: #3 WR on team, only 5'11", QB's arm is not what it used to be

How can you not include Benjamin in this conversation, but include guys that were mostly drafted ahead of him in rookie drafts and even in regular drafts like Cooks, Mathews, and Hunter

I am very tempted to drop Riley Cooper for Brian Quick. Did anyone watch the STL game? What did you think of his performance?

I am very tempted to drop Riley Cooper for Brian Quick. Did anyone watch the STL game? What did you think of his performance?
Looked good. Had as many targets as Britt, Givens and Austin combined. Worked the middle well. Looked good.

Users who are viewing this thread