What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Charlie "Shining Path" Bosworth, RIP (2 Viewers)

This is a reminder to me that I should actually try and meet the people that I like here on the boards. Sp was one of those people I would have liked to meet most.

If any of you are ever passing through the Bay Area and want to meet up with me, let me know and we'll grab a drink.

Just saw this - horrible news. SP contributed so much to this online family of ours. Brilliant posts/conversation. And 37? Wow. RIP my friend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any thoughts on linking this, or at least posting about FBGs in the obit comments?
I believe some comments have been posted in the guest book of the obit, and one of shiney's good i-friends has made an attempt to contact the family. I know FBG was mentioned, so it might be best to let that attempt at contact run its course, and if any of the family wants to come here to read some of his stuff, let them do it on their own terms. I know shiney was kind of a private person, so I don't think it's a good idea to link to this thread in a public forum like the guestbook where anyone could see it and start looking through his posts. It's probably best to leave things where they are as far as trying to make contact with his B&M family and friends.

Also, I didn't associate with him much...he was too smart for me and in threads I wouldn't dare dip my feet into. But I know he was a huge UNC fan and was around the college hoops threads this year. And I know he was excited by UNC's championship this year. Just really sad. :goodposting: Maybe a good reminder to stop all the bickering around here.
Oh, shut up, you twit.
:goodposting: I love you too, buddy.

Also, I didn't associate with him much...he was too smart for me and in threads I wouldn't dare dip my feet into. But I know he was a huge UNC fan and was around the college hoops threads this year. And I know he was excited by UNC's championship this year. Just really sad. :goodposting: Maybe a good reminder to stop all the bickering around here.
Oh, shut up, you twit.
:goodposting: I love you too, buddy.
I think there's a little shining path in all of us. Some more than others. Scooby, I'm looking at you.

I'm guessing I'm not the only one who had a weird conversation with the spouse/gf/family member this weekend trying to explain how it's possible to be so moved by the passing of someone I'd never met in real life. Felt like I was trying to swallow an apple whole when I read this with my wife on the couch next to me.SP was irreplaceable. :goodposting:
:goodposting: I finally explained what happened to my wife after she kept asking me why I seemed so sad.

Also, I didn't associate with him much...he was too smart for me and in threads I wouldn't dare dip my feet into. But I know he was a huge UNC fan and was around the college hoops threads this year. And I know he was excited by UNC's championship this year. Just really sad. :( Maybe a good reminder to stop all the bickering around here.
Oh, shut up, you twit.
:thumbup: I love you too, buddy.
I think there's a little shining path in all of us. Some more than others. Scooby, I'm looking at you.
:goodposting: See, shiny's thread needs more of this. This is the the type of joke that would make him smile.

I'm guessing I'm not the only one who had a weird conversation with the spouse/gf/family member this weekend trying to explain how it's possible to be so moved by the passing of someone I'd never met in real life. Felt like I was trying to swallow an apple whole when I read this with my wife on the couch next to me.SP was irreplaceable. :thumbup:
:goodposting: I finally explained what happened to my wife after she kept asking me why I seemed so sad.
You see, dear. There's this amazing, irreverantly funny, smart dude that I've never met on the internet named after the Communist Party of Peru with an avatar of the gay Teletubby...

You ask me who are the funniest/smartest guys on the board and SP was up at the top.

RIP

I once asked on here about how to get rid of the termite problem in my garage. Heat treatment? Spray? Tenting?

SP response: "Get an aardvark"

classic. still tell that one to friends.

Terrible and shocking, one of my, if not the, favorite poster here. Always admired his patience and ability to find the humor in things.

I'm guessing I'm not the only one who had a weird conversation with the spouse/gf/family member this weekend trying to explain how it's possible to be so moved by the passing of someone I'd never met in real life. Felt like I was trying to swallow an apple whole when I read this with my wife on the couch next to me.SP was irreplaceable. :(
You see, dear. There's this amazing, irreverantly funny, smart dude that I've never met on the internet named after the Communist Party of Peru with an avatar of the gay Teletubby...
Pretty much. I don't mind mixing some RL in here but I hate mixing here in with RL.EG, I hear you. 38 here and too many times I find myself thinking about selling the business and staying home to raise my boys.<Dr. & DW, :thumbup: Good stuff.

This was one of my favorite Sp posts ever. It combined science, history, and some humor....

shining path said:
Doctor Detroit said:
shining path said:
McBokonon said:
I've found wiping thoroughly to be, well, pretty great.
:goodposting: If you're leaving regular skid marks, you're nasty. Sharts happen, but a daily smudge? Gross.
You've obviously never used government issue TP. I was on the DL for a week one time with an ###### tear. No way you can clean your pooper correctly with that stuff. Afghan/Eastern European TP, and your hand in Africa fall into this category as well.
A little chafing is well worth it. I have a strategy for maximal cornhole cleanliness. When you fold the TP and go for the final few swipes, use the second knuckle (from the tip) of your middle finger to wedge the paper up there a tad. Then clench up and use the power of your own sphincter to blot on the paper. You can have everything clean up to a full quarter inch into the poop channel. Better a little blood shed with pre-emptive aggression than a brownish mess later. The Western powers learned this valuable lesson at Munich in 1938.
This is the one I'll always remember. Freaking hilarious...

Any thoughts on linking this, or at least posting about FBGs in the obit comments?
:goodposting: While I'm sure his family knows what a great guy he was, I'm guessing they would be touched to know the breadth of impact he had on people's lives. RIP
people open themselves up online...and while i can't verify every post SP made, he's likely got nothing to hide on here...it might make it easier to see what SP shared with the world when it was just him and his computer...i'd also think that with the amount of time he spent in discussions here his fiance likely knows about this place..probably just takes time

:headbang: While I'm sure his family knows what a great guy he was, I'm guessing they would be touched to know the breadth of impact he had on people's lives. RIP
people open themselves up online...and while i can't verify every post SP made, he's likely got nothing to hide on here...it might make it easier to see what SP shared with the world when it was just him and his computer...i'd also think that with the amount of time he spent in discussions here his fiance likely knows about this place..probably just takes time
Shiny specifically mentioned a few times here and at LABS his interest in privacy. That cat's out of the bag now as several people have posted FBG related comments at his obituary page. A close friend of his has reached out to the family. I really hope people can be cool about this.

:headbang: While I'm sure his family knows what a great guy he was, I'm guessing they would be touched to know the breadth of impact he had on people's lives. RIP
Shiny specifically mentioned a few times here and at LABS his interest in privacy. That cat's out of the bag now as several people have posted FBG related comments at his obituary page. A close friend of his has reached out to the family. I really hope people can be cool about this.
:thumbup:Friends and family will find their way here, should they choose to. And if they do, they will see how highly regarded their son/fiance/friend is.

I'm guessing I'm not the only one who had a weird conversation with the spouse/gf/family member this weekend trying to explain how it's possible to be so moved by the passing of someone I'd never met in real life. Felt like I was trying to swallow an apple whole when I read this with my wife on the couch next to me.SP was irreplaceable. :thumbup:
:headbang: I finally explained what happened to my wife after she kept asking me why I seemed so sad.
well, when you put it like that...

Well, we've tried to let them know that. With that said, many of the things we're remembering about Shiny might seem a bit strange to the uninitiated. When I read a joke like Mr. Pickles' on this thread, I smile. But how do you explain something like that to someone not prepared for it? I'm not sure I'd want my mother discovering that without some advance explanation, and I certainly don't think I'd want her explaining it to her church social group who followed the same link. All of the comments here have been very nice, but that doesn't preclude the possibility of some information being disclosed in a way that Shiny wouldn't have wanted it to.That's the reason we decided to try to contact the family in a specific way. I hope you can trust us on this. We would like the people who loved Shiny to know how much we loved him as much as any you does. But we just want to be careful.

Friends and family will find their way here, should they choose to. And if they do, they will see how highly regarded their son/fiance/friend is.
I sure hope so. I'd imagine it's a bit confusing that we're all idolizing him for his amoeba art, his taste in russian mail order brides, and his apparently questionable advice on airline safety, termite removal, and restroom cleanliness. If any friends or family are reading this, sign up for the board, and let us know. We'd love to hear from you. I'm sure you know Shining Path/Charlie/Breed was one of the all time greats in real life. He obviously meant a lot to us here. We'd be happy to extend any courtesy possible to help you read and understand years of his contributions that have been preserved here. You can see from the outpouring of support here that he had a tremendous history here and was really just one of the great guys. We're thankful to have had him around and are really going to miss him.

I'm guessing I'm not the only one who had a weird conversation with the spouse/gf/family member this weekend trying to explain how it's possible to be so moved by the passing of someone I'd never met in real life. Felt like I was trying to swallow an apple whole when I read this with my wife on the couch next to me.

SP was irreplaceable. :(
:thumbdown: I finally explained what happened to my wife after she kept asking me why I seemed so sad.
Even in a thread that honors him STILL educates.(I was wondering the origin of his screen name)

:thumbdown: While I'm sure his family knows what a great guy he was, I'm guessing they would be touched to know the breadth of impact he had on people's lives. RIP
Well, we've tried to let them know that. With that said, many of the things we're remembering about Shiny might seem a bit strange to the uninitiated. When I read a joke like Mr. Pickles' on this thread, I smile. But how do you explain something like that to someone not prepared for it? I'm not sure I'd want my mother discovering that without some advance explanation, and I certainly don't think I'd want her explaining it to her church social group who followed the same link. All of the comments here have been very nice, but that doesn't preclude the possibility of some information being disclosed in a way that Shiny wouldn't have wanted it to.That's the reason we decided to try to contact the family in a specific way. I hope you can trust us on this. We would like the people who loved Shiny to know how much we loved him as much as any you does. But we just want to be careful.
I agree. I don't know Shiny nearly as well as others here. Perhaps they don't need to see all his posts, I just think it would be a travesty if his family never knew that he was loved and admired by hundreds or thousands here.

I'm guessing I'm not the only one who had a weird conversation with the spouse/gf/family member this weekend trying to explain how it's possible to be so moved by the passing of someone I'd never met in real life. Felt like I was trying to swallow an apple whole when I read this with my wife on the couch next to me.

:thumbdown: I finally explained what happened to my wife after she kept asking me why I seemed so sad.
Even in a thread that honors him STILL educates.(I was wondering the origin of his screen name)
That isn't the origin of his screen name.

That isn't the origin of his screen name.
Not the origin, but it is what it is.

Shiny always maintained that he never intended a reference to the Sendero Luminoso. He was in a league and he emailed a friend that he would taking the "shining path to FF dominance" or something like that. It stuck.These are the types of things we're happy to explain. For instance, Shiny's avatar was the result of a contest at LABS to give each other the most embarrassing avatar when we moved to the blue board. Mine came from Beckster. GM's "Me Eat ALL the ..." came from the comedic genius of Happy Schnapps. Shiny's came from me, but he quickly made it his own.

Shiny always maintained that he never intended a reference to the Sendero Luminoso. He was in a league and he emailed a friend that he would taking the "shining path to FF dominance" or something like that. It stuck.These are the types of things we're happy to explain. For instance, Shiny's avatar was the result of a contest at LABS to give each other the most embarrassing avatar when we moved to the blue board. Mine came from Beckster. GM's "Me Eat ALL the ..." came from the comedic genius of Happy Schnapps. Shiny's came from me, but he quickly made it his own.
:thumbup:

Don't really know what to say. How terrible. Was recently wondering what happens around here when something so terrible happens. Now I know...alot of wonderful posts in remembrance.

RIP Shiny.

Wow, didn't notice this until now. Very sad news. Didn't know shining like many of you, many of the threads you are all reflecting on predate when I started paying attention to these boards. But he was always one of the cooler and more memorable posters around here. Will definitely be missed. :thumbup:

This is awesome.What happened to Happy?

:thumbdown: That makes it all even funnier. Thanks for the explanation.

If nothing else, this thread has been great for someone like me who used to spend way too much time here. There are a lot of "familiar faces" in this thread I don't normally see when I happen to stop by this little place on the internet. I hope you are all doing well. Having SP's death be the calling card to get so many such posters to gather here is not what anyone would want, but it was kind of cool to see the gathering of those old user accounts here. I mentioned the unfortunate event to a couple of people who no longer post much here like me and their reaction was much of the same as expressed already.

I thought for a second about posting on his obit page, but came to the conclusion I did not know him that well. While many on here feel loss, it's nothing compared to those who really knew him. From what I know about Labs members, outside of your Mr. Pickles alias, you are a pretty tight group and I naturally defer to you on expressing everyone's condolences to his family.

If any family member or friend stops by here, I hope you realize how many will miss him in their own way. He was a truly great member of this little community.

Edit: For those that don't know, my avatar was chosen a long time ago by JoeT as a dare and later needing an edit as this board changed. It's a bit funny to know how Labs members came by the pictures many people recognize as theirs.

Very sorry to hear this. He was a clever, intelligent dude. Seemed like he was always the first to reply in my threads.

BTW, Christo, if you'll allow it, I'd like to alter my Crouchy avatar to include a remembrance of SP. Nothing major, but I think it'd be a nice touch.

Users who are viewing this thread