What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2010 Shark Pool Mock Draft – v. 1 (1 Viewer)

1.23 - The Green Bay Packers select Charles Brown, OT, USC

The Packers are reeling after the New England pick of Spiller at 22. Ted Thompson is furiously calling teams in an attempt to trade down. But since trades aren't happening here, Green Bay decides to take a chance on the extremely athletic OT from USC. Brown is a converted TE with great footwork and excellent pass blocking skills. He's a decent run blocker and his athleticism would translate well to Green Bay's zone blocking run game. Brown has a ton going for him but he needs to gain weight in a big way to make it at the next level. At 6'5" he's definitely tall enough, but at 290 pounds he needs to add weight. With most of the elite talent off the board the Packers decide to fill a need.

I hate this pick because I don't think Brown is a 1st round talent. I was hoping for the splash with Spiller because Green Bay is a team that could win now and a guy like Spiller could add enough to get them to where they want to go. Brown may be more of a future pick.....paying dividends 2-3 years down the road. It is a need though for Aaron Rodgers sake and if Brown beefs up, he could be a good one.

Other considerations: Jahvid Best, Jared Odrick

ETA: If Brown shows up at the combine and weighs in at 300+ pounds, then we may have something here. He's been compared to Jason Smith who was taken #2 overall by the Rams in 2009 and if Brown puts on about 15 more pounds without losing his speed, he could move up in the draft.
What about Cody? Not that OT isn't a need....but put Cody at NT....then Raji at LE and Jenkins at the other with Pickett and Harrell backing....that would certainly let the LB's roam freely.Just a thought......especially with Jolly's case coming up this offseason.
I'm afraid I'm not a fan. Cody is good at being fat and gets a push in the rush defense from what I've read. He's nothing special against the pass. Ryan Pickett is plenty good at NT and the Packers were #1 against the run this year allowing only 3.6 ypc. I would have considered Odrick over Cody because he could play DE leaving Green Bay with options along the DL. Since OT is such a need and Brown may fit what GB requires out of a LT, I'll take him over Cody.Does that make sense or do you think Cody is a special talent?

Last edited by a moderator:
1.12 Miami selects WR Dez Bryant, Oklahoma State

We all know Tuna does not select Wrs in the first round but the phins were not able to fill the void in FA and Dez is too good a talent to pass.

They know they cannot go into another season with a bunch of number 2's and 3's at WR (Love you to death Bess but you are not a 1). Dez will give Miami the true #1 allowing Bess to fill the 2 and Ginn to go to the slot and handle kickoff returns.
I didn't make a comment when this 1st hit, but Buffaloes taking Dan Williams at 1.11 hurts. I don't believe Denver will take him and I do believe Miami will jump all over him at 1.12
If Denver passes on one of the 3 guys I have tabbed as a good NT prospects in the 1st, I'll be confused as to what they are doing. Dan Williams seems like the best option for Denver there. What direction do you see Denver going at 1.11? I suppose they could go ahead and trade Marshall for a 1st and go another direction with 1.11 and then NT later in the 1st but absent that route, they would pretty dumb not to take Williams or another NT prospect there imo.

1.23 - The Green Bay Packers select Charles Brown, OT, USC

The Packers are reeling after the New England pick of Spiller at 22. Ted Thompson is furiously calling teams in an attempt to trade down. But since trades aren't happening here, Green Bay decides to take a chance on the extremely athletic OT from USC. Brown is a converted TE with great footwork and excellent pass blocking skills. He's a decent run blocker and his athleticism would translate well to Green Bay's zone blocking run game. Brown has a ton going for him but he needs to gain weight in a big way to make it at the next level. At 6'5" he's definitely tall enough, but at 290 pounds he needs to add weight. With most of the elite talent off the board the Packers decide to fill a need.

I hate this pick because I don't think Brown is a 1st round talent. I was hoping for the splash with Spiller because Green Bay is a team that could win now and a guy like Spiller could add enough to get them to where they want to go. Brown may be more of a future pick.....paying dividends 2-3 years down the road. It is a need though for Aaron Rodgers sake and if Brown beefs up, he could be a good one.

Other considerations: Jahvid Best, Jared Odrick

ETA: If Brown shows up at the combine and weighs in at 300+ pounds, then we may have something here. He's been compared to Jason Smith who was taken #2 overall by the Rams in 2009 and if Brown puts on about 15 more pounds without losing his speed, he could move up in the draft.
What about Cody? Not that OT isn't a need....but put Cody at NT....then Raji at LE and Jenkins at the other with Pickett and Harrell backing....that would certainly let the LB's roam freely.Just a thought......especially with Jolly's case coming up this offseason.
I'm afraid I'm not a fan. Cody is good at being fat and gets a push in the rush defense from what I've read. He's nothing special against the pass. Ryan Pickett is plenty good at NT and the Packers were #1 against the run this year allowing only 3.6 ypc. I would have considered Odrick over Cody because he could play DE leaving Green Bay with options along the DL. Since OT is such a need and Brown may fit what GB requires out of a LT, I'll take him over Cody.Does that make sense or do you think Cody is a special talent?
I'm not a big fan of Cody either....just the concept in GB to....make the rich richer I guess should be the saying. With all of the young talent in the front 7...to upgrade it....could help hide the secondaries issues.But I agree OT is the biggest priority.....however the talent dropoff in front of you and not being able to trade down(ted thompsons IMO) handcuffed you.

It is no big secret and widely known that the Baltimore Ravens primary need is at the wideout position, and they can only hope & pray that their dependable 1000 yard man again, Derrick Mason, does indeed stay with them for one more season while they focus their off-season efforts to significantly improve the overall talent and depth at this position via multiple paths - and especially thru the 2010 NFL Draft. And thusly, the Ravens announce their Day One First Round draft selection at 1.25 to be1.25 - Arrelious Benn WR from IllinoisBehind Dez Bryant, the acknowledged #1 talented WR in the Draft Class of 2010 - in spite of not be able to demonstrate his talent on the field during the 2010 NCAA season due to a questionable NCCA suspension, there is a small handful of WRs slated to go at the bottom of this 1st round or in the top part of the 2nd round - and Benn is definitely right there with (and in no special order) Tate of Notre Dame, Thomas of GA Tech (who suffered a foot injury while training in Arizona for some nebulous promotional event), Williams of USC, and La Fell of LSU plus another grouping right behind in this handful of NFL wannabe successful WR stars in the NFL. Now for some background on Arrelious Benn:Arrelious Benn is one of the many juniors leaving the collgegame to make it in the NFL. He is from Washington D.C.'s Dunbar High, so he would sort of be coming home to this area. Built like the big wide receiver the team covets, Benn stands 6'2" and weighs in at a solid 220 pounds. While he seemed to have a down season in 2009 with only 38 receptions for 490 yards and two TD's, his 2008 season is probably what is attracting the Ravens scouts, as he grabbed 67 balls for 1,055 yards and three TD catches. Almost 100% of all pro scouts are attributing this drop-off in performance to the QB and overall situation at Illinois this past season. So forget about any highlight reels from this past collegiate season, and go back to those from the 2008 collegite season to see the real talent that Benn will bring to the Baltimore Ravens franchise.As a freshman, Benn was named Big Ten Freshman of the Year. As a sophomore he was a 4th team All-American, named as such by some media source, and the media named him 1st team All-Big Ten. We are all somewhat aware of the type of hard-nose football played in the Big 10, especially on the defensive side of the ball.Time will certainly tell if WR Arrelious Benn is the right selection here for the Ravens, and both they and yours truly is putting his money on this talented WR from the U of Illinois.
I do also believe that most people forget that Benn was injured during the first quarter in the first game vs Missouri(I went to the game) and stumbled in a bit late to the start and didn't even get to see Benn play. The buzz in the crowd was that he broke his ankle....it turned out to be a high ankle sprain....however that severely affects players for a long time. That along with Juice's inabilities are the reason for Benn's down numbers.

1.26 - Arizona Cardinals select Brandon Spikes ILB Florida

This was a tough pick for me considering that there were 3 guys here, at 3 different positions, that the Cards could use, and if this scenario were to actually play out, I would be extremely happy.

But I went with Spikes considering Dansby is as good as gone. There are a few solid DE/OLB's out there to be drafted that the Cardinals could have some interest in especially considering Okeafor is probably walking, Berry retiring and Haggans not getting any younger. But they do have 2 young guys that they drafted last year in their 2nd round pick of Cody Brown and 6th round pick Will Davis, who showed a lot of promise this year. But with Dansby, a defensive captain and play-maker, leaving in free agency, the Redbirds need to add another playmaker at the inside LB position. They have absolutely noone of value behind Dansby to play next to Hayes, and Spikes would be an instant starter.

Decent in pass coverage and a force inside, I think the Cards will have to take a look at this guy if he's still on the board and I would be extremely happy if he is there.

Other guys I was looking at were:

Gresham, because I do think that they will draft a solid recieving TE to help Leinart progress a little, but his run blocking is just not good enough.

Pierre-Paul, because, like I said before, they could become very thin at this position in the next few months and Paul is a freak and could be that constant pass rush that the Cards defense needs.

Dallas Cowboys

1.27 - Brian Price, DT, UCLA

This is really a BPA pick. I was hoping that one of the elite OTs or Ss would have fallen here, but it just didn't happen. Price is a penetrating DT that would fit well at either tackle or end in Wade Phillips' one-gap scheme. In fact, he reminds me quite a bit of Jay Ratliff. Defensive linemen are always premium picks and if Price is as good as advertised, he could be a steal at 27. At the very least, he'll eat up snaps part time in the DL rotation. At best, he'll be starter from day 1 if Spears leaves.

Other Players Considered:

1. Maurkice Pouncey © - Second best interior lineman in draft; had trouble pulling the trigger on a non-elite C/G prospect with a 1st round pick.

2. Nate Allen (S) - 4th best S in this class; another position where a 1st round pick is tough to spend on a non-elite prospect.

1.28 - San Diego SUPER Chargers - Terrance Cody - DT - Alabama

What??? What??? no RB?? Nope not this round, and frankly these Rbs dont do much for me.

Terrance Cody however is the replacement for Jamal the Wall Williams. Mount Cody will be plunked right in the middle of the chargers front line.

The chargers biggest weakness IMO is the ability to stop the run up front. And Im gambling that either Sd can address the RB position via trade or in round2.

Other consideration:

Jonathan Dwyer - RB - GT

Ras-I Dowling - CB -Virginia

What??? What??? no RB?? Nope not this round, and frankly these Rbs dont do much for me.

Terrance Cody however is the replacement for Jamal the Wall Williams. Moutn Cody will be plunked right in the middle of the chargers front line.

The chargers biggest weakness IMO is the ability to stop the run up front. And Im gambling that either Sd can address the RB position via trade or in round2.

Other consideration:

Jonathan Dwyer - RB - GT

Great Pick. Guy is NT in the mold of Casey Hampton. As a Denver fan, I would be pretty disappointed if SD came away with Mount Cody this April.

Terrance Cody however is the replacement for Jamal the Wall Williams. Mount Cody will be plunked right in the middle of the chargers front line.

Other consideration:

Jonathan Dwyer - RB - GT

Liked Dwyer here, but good pick none the less. :thumbup:

Terrance Cody however is the replacement for Jamal the Wall Williams. Moutn Cody will be plunked right in the middle of the chargers front line.

Other consideration:

Jonathan Dwyer - RB - GT

Great Pick. Guy is NT in the mold of Casey Hampton. As a Denver fan, I would be pretty disappointed if SD came away with Mount Cody this April.
QUestion is why did he slide to 28? Too fat?? heck pre college season he was being talked about top 10. Why did the Cowboys guy take Price over him? More atheletic?

treat88 said:
Wouldn't be surprised if the pick is Pouncey instead of Iupati. He can play any IOL position but will be a natural replacement for Hartwig if Legs flames out. (Hartwig was easily the weak link on the line.) He's a better prospect than Mack was, and IIRC he's barely 20 years old. 2012 All Pro C potential.As much as I want the OL shored up, it's tough for me to value IOL as a mid-1st round value.That said, my pick at this point would have been Earl Thomas. Starts over Gay in Year 1 or even Clark if he walks. CB/S is easily the thinnest position on the Steelers roster and it would do wonders to add some ball skills to this group.
I wouldn't be surprised if Pittsburgh has taken a shine to Pouncey either. I'd hope if they wanted him they'd explore a trade down.As much as I agree with you about DB being extremely thin, the most important spot on the defensive side of the ball has a couple of 33 year olds manning it. I'm not advocating they take Cody at 18, but I certainly will not be able to fault them for addressing NT if they chose to go that direction. Either with a trade down or possibly considering Williams with their original pick if available(I know he wasn't in this mock). It's easy to say "Oh, they can get a NT in round 2." Yeah, well, they can probably get an OG in round 2 easier. The Steelers aren't only one of 2-3 teams running the 3-4 any longer. Sitting at 18, if they're not taking a tackle that's too high for an OL unless you are almost certain he's going to pan out. I like the big Samoan kid okay.....but he feels a bit overhyped to me. The talk of him being able to play tackle, etc.....I dunno. IMO, if he could play OT he'd be playing OT. I guess we'll see. I'd prefer a trade down if their draft scenario played out like it has here. Get extra picks and see which of Pouncey or Cody are available(or even Iupati if he falls). If none of those players are, explore DB options and then load up on both lines after that.That all said, I wouldn't be "upset" with them taking Iupati at #18, I will just be wondering if they made the best decision.
I wasn't going to try to trade down here, but if I were the Steelers IRL, I would have. I'm just very very high on Iupati. I think he's a multi-year Pro Bowler waiting to happen. I think he could be Hutchinson/Faneca good.

Dallas Cowboys

This is really a BPA pick. I was hoping that one of the elite OTs or Ss would have fallen here, but it just didn't happen. Price is a penetrating DT that would fit well at either tackle or end in Wade Phillips' one-gap scheme. In fact, he reminds me quite a bit of Jay Ratliff. Defensive linemen are always premium picks and if Price is as good as advertised, he could be a steal at 27. At the very least, he'll eat up snaps part time in the DL rotation. At best, he'll be starter from day 1 if Spears leaves.

1. Maurkice Pouncey © - Second best interior lineman in draft; had trouble pulling the trigger on a non-elite C/G prospect with a 1st round pick.

2. Nate Allen (S) - 4th best S in this class; another position where a 1st round pick is tough to spend on a non-elite prospect.
Can't argue with DL too much, especially if they lose some of their RFAs. It fits the organizational profile. And if he's BPA, then all the more reason.I personally would have favored Pouncey given his versatility. Getting a guy who can play all 3 interior OL spots would be huge. They could then groom him to take over a spot in 2011 when some contracts are expiring. Thats how good organizations work.

But its easy to argue for and against a lot of different positions and players going to Dallas this year.

Other consideration:

Jonathan Dwyer - RB - GT

QUestion is why did he slide to 28? Too fat?? heck pre college season he was being talked about top 10. Why did the Cowboys guy take Price over him? More atheletic?
I wouldn't hold it against any team to take him well before the 20s. We hear the same thing about DTs every year, too fat, takes plays off, no pass rush, blah blah blah. Here's there to take up 2 or more interior OL so the ILBs can do their job. He's a 2-time All American who is seasoned as a NT in the 3-4. I thought about taking him at 11.

Why did the Cowboys guy take Price over him? More atheletic?
I'd want no part of Cody in round 1. Way, way too much of a character risk. Risk of eating himself out of the league. Its hard to argue that a guy with his history really loves the game. He's never been in shape! Giving him a few mil is going to motivate him to actually do that? Maybe he will. Maybe a light will go on for him. He's most definitely got the physical ability and talent. I'm not questioning that. But I'd have serious, serious doubts about his committment to the game. High high risk, only moderate reward. I'd be pleased to see the Cowboys pass.Edit: Further, Dallas doesnt need a starting NT. They already have an elite one in Ratliff. Despite what some folks say about moving Ratliff to DE, its not happening. He's proven to be a top flight NT. He could not break the starting lineup at DE. So if Dallas does take a DL early, it better be at DE. Because its wasteful to spend a 1st on a guy you know is only going to be a backup for a few years, unless injury strikes.

Dallas Cowboys

Price is an interesting pick. Not sure he has the length to play 5 tech or the stoutness to play 0 tech. Good player, but he will be an interesting fit in a 3-4.I am stunned that Pierre-Paul has lasted. After the combine, IMO, he will be a 100% lock for the top 10 if not top 5. Would be a nightmare coming off the edge opposite Ware.

Pouncey is probably the best IOL in the class (Iupati included) and is absolutely elite. Better prospect than Mack or Khalil. Arguably better than Mangold.

Other consideration:

Jonathan Dwyer - RB - GT

I wouldn't hold it against any team to take him well before the 20s. We hear the same thing about DTs every year, too fat, takes plays off, no pass rush, blah blah blah. Here's there to take up 2 or more interior OL so the ILBs can do their job. He's a 2-time All American who is seasoned as a NT in the 3-4. I thought about taking him at 11.
yeah no way in hell hes there at 28 anyway. But under this scenario Id grab him. Maybe Sign CHester or Snelling at RB and see whos there in round2.

I'd want no part of Cody in round 1. Way, way too much of a character risk. Risk of eating himself out of the league. Its hard to argue that a guy with his history really loves the game. He's never been in shape! Giving him a few mil is going to motivate him to actually do that? Maybe he will. Maybe a light will go on for him. He's most definitely got the physical ability and talent. I'm not questioning that. But I'd have serious, serious doubts about his committment to the game. High high risk, only moderate reward. I'd be pleased to see the Cowboys pass.
NTs generally dont need to be "In shape"

I'd want no part of Cody in round 1. Way, way too much of a character risk. Risk of eating himself out of the league. Its hard to argue that a guy with his history really loves the game. He's never been in shape! Giving him a few mil is going to motivate him to actually do that? Maybe he will. Maybe a light will go on for him. He's most definitely got the physical ability and talent. I'm not questioning that. But I'd have serious, serious doubts about his committment to the game. High high risk, only moderate reward. I'd be pleased to see the Cowboys pass.
NTs generally dont need to be "In shape"
Perhaps true. But, as I mentioned in my edit to my previous post, Dallas doesnt need an NT. They have an elite one already in Ratliff.

Other consideration:

Jonathan Dwyer - RB - GT

yeah no way in hell hes there at 28 anyway. But under this scenario Id grab him. Maybe Sign CHester or Snelling at RB and see whos there in round2.
People see the moobs and make some poor assumptions. Kid squats over 800 lbs. His bench can be average and he'll still hold the POA.Kid's going to be a more productive player for a longer time than Dan Williams. Especially if Williams is miscast as a NT.

That said, it's reasonable for a 2 down player like him to fall into the second. Happens regularly. Shaun Rodgers, Jamal Williams, and Kris Jenkins leap to mind.

He's not elite like Hampton or Wilfork were coming out. I think 28 is exactly right from a value perspective.

1.29- Jerry Hughes, DE/OLB, TCU

A fast hybrid that can play OLB in the 3-4 and can rush the passer. Hughes fits exactly what they need. I thought about Pierre Paul and had him ready to type in but I feel its my USF connections that have more to do with that. TCU took the country by storm and usually when teams that don't normally go 12-0 do so, you can be sure there are some real diffrence makers on thsoe teams. TCU fits the bill for me and I think there will be other players from that school over the next couple years that make a big splash in the NFL. Hughes is a little short at 6 foot 2 but he makes up for that in exlposive speed that can get up field and rush the passer, collapse the pocket, and make an already talented secondary look even better.

Other consideration:

Jonathan Dwyer - RB - GT

That guy is one big heap of fat...anytime you have multiple or lots of picks coming form one position, usually means at least half of them are not all that great. DT and OL seem to fit that bill this year. No way all these DT can pan out and I think Cody would be on the risky side because of his weight issues. Guys playing at close to 400 lbs won't last long in the NFL.

With the 30th pick in the first round the Minnesota Vikings select...

Maurkice Pouncey, OG, Florida

The popular pick here in most mocks is on the defensive side of the ball. Pat Williams is nearly as old as Brett Favre but appears to be coming back for another year or two and is still playing at a high level. That paired with the fact that all the elite DT's just got taken eliminated the position from our board. With the nasty injury to Ced Griffin in the playoffs and Antoine Winfield turning 33 the Vikings also have a big need at CB. It was tough to pass up the position since there are a few elite CB's still on the board. Still, Benny Sapp held his own with Winfield out late in the season and Griffin should be able to come back at some point. The aging defense will have to hold on for a little longer with the Vikes in a definite "win now" mode.

Instead, the Vikes decide to shore up the interior offensive line and give AP every opportunity for success. They didn't run the ball as effectively as they'd hoped last season and that needs to change ASAP. With Favre being uncertain to come back All Day will need to carry this team sooner or later and this will help that happen. Pouncey is an elite prospect at guard or center and the Vikings could use him at either position in replacement of Sullivan or Herrera. He'll help the struggling interior of that line excel. With the twin peaks (Mount McKinnie and Loadholt) on the outside and Hutchinson at LG this line will be a force to be reckoned with. Stick ADP behind that and the Vikings reclaim their identity as a run-first smashmouth football team with or without #4.

SKOL!

Dallas Cowboys

Total waste of a pick. It's fine that he's the BPA in your opinion but with Ratliff a 2 time Pro Bowler now and firmly the anchor for this 3-4, where does Price fit in? Dallas has a chance to get really good if they do this right and Price IMO would make a lousy End in a 3-4, certainly I could be worng but I haven't seen anything there that screams DE. If I were picking I might have gone DE, that would have been OK and perhaps looked at Everson Griffin from USC or Jason Pierre Paul who is a 6 foot 6 DE that hasn't fully developed yet but is coming on like a freight train. He is working at about 260 but I could see him adding 15-20 lbs and settling in as a DE in a 3-4 or they keep him at about 250-260 and turn him loose opposite DeMarcus Ware, but a better situation would be him crashing in at DE in front of Ware and alowing Ware a lot of 1 on 1 time with RBs, yummy.

Dallas Cowboys

Total waste of a pick. It's fine that he's the BPA in your opinion but with Ratliff a 2 time Pro Bowler now and firmly the anchor for this 3-4, where does Price fit in? Dallas has a chance to get really good if they do this right and Price IMO would make a lousy End in a 3-4, certainly I could be worng but I haven't seen anything there that screams DE. If I were picking I might have gone DE, that would have been OK and perhaps looked at Everson Griffin from USC or Jason Pierre Paul who is a 6 foot 6 DE that hasn't fully developed yet but is coming on like a freight train. He is working at about 260 but I could see him adding 15-20 lbs and settling in as a DE in a 3-4 or they keep him at about 250-260 and turn him loose opposite DeMarcus Ware, but a better situation would be him crashing in at DE in front of Ware and alowing Ware a lot of 1 on 1 time with RBs, yummy.
Who would you have picked for them in this mock; please select a player and provide your analysis.For the Cowboys defensive scheme, all three down lineman essentially have the same responsibility. Man a single gap and apply pressure on the QB in passing situations. it is not a Pit or NE style 3-4 where the D-line's job is to first occupy space and let the LBs roam free. Also, in nickel and dime situations, the Cowboys would often go to 4 down lineman.

Look at the starting three from lat season:

DE - Igor Olshansky: 6'6, 315

DT - Jay Ratliff: 6'4, 303

DE - Marcus Spears: 6'4, 309

The same strategy worked out pretty well for the Giants when the drafted Umenyiora , Tuck and Kiwanuka all fairly close together.

Dallas Cowboys

Who would you have picked for them in this mock; please select a player and provide your analysis.For the Cowboys defensive scheme, all three down lineman essentially have the same responsibility. Man a single gap and apply pressure on the QB in passing situations. it is not a Pit or NE style 3-4 where the D-line's job is to first occupy space and let the LBs roam free. Also, in nickel and dime situations, the Cowboys would often go to 4 down lineman.

The same strategy worked out pretty well for the Giants when the drafted Umenyiora , Tuck and Kiwanuka all fairly close together.
I knew you didn't read much when you lash out on occasion in threads I start but this proves it :banned:

FUBAR isn't going to be around until tomorrow night so if any Colts fans want to make his pick, please let me know. If I don't hear from anyone in a while I will just make the pick myself. Feel free to PM me to discuss what you think the pick should be, Colts fan or not.

Total snooze-fest on the draft guys(myself included).....The draft never plays out like this. I want some skill positions drafted. Something to get the fans in the seats. I did a little research on the last 6 drafts, and in the first round there seems to be a lot more RB,WR, and TE's drafted in the first round than what we have. There is always gonna be a team or two that will fall in love with a few guys and go ahead and take them in the first round. Right now we have a WR, RB, and a WR with 2 picks left in the draft. Does everyone feel that this is gonna be a bad draft for skill positions or are the needs just not there for teams?

Draft -----# of WR,TE,RB's taken in the first round of the draft

2009------ 10

2008------ 6

2007------ 9

2006------ 8

2005 ----- 10

2004 ------ 12

2010 shark draft------3

I hope in the actual draft, some skill position players show out during the combine and sneak in to the first round. Nothing against everyones picks because they all seem to be good picks, but I think we will be in for a surprise this draft.

Total snooze-fest on the draft guys(myself included).....The draft never plays out like this. I want some skill positions drafted. Something to get the fans in the seats. I did a little research on the last 6 drafts, and in the first round there seems to be a lot more RB,WR, and TE's drafted in the first round than what we have. There is always gonna be a team or two that will fall in love with a few guys and go ahead and take them in the first round. Right now we have a WR, RB, and a WR with 2 picks left in the draft. Does everyone feel that this is gonna be a bad draft for skill positions or are the needs just not there for teams?

2009------ 10

2008------ 6

2007------ 9

2006------ 8

2005 ----- 10

2004 ------ 12

2010 shark draft------3

I hope in the actual draft, some skill position players show out during the combine and sneak in to the first round. Nothing against everyones picks because they all seem to be good picks, but I think we will be in for a surprise this draft.
Mock drafts tend to be need heavy. Even for those who have a good feel for an organization, don't know what exactly their board looks like. Also, even with a weak FA class like this one, teams will resolve a couple of needs so mockers will be more willing to think BPA. The closer to the draft the more that some general rankings become accurate to what scouts and organization are really thinking.

2009------ 10

2008------ 6

2007------ 9

2006------ 8

2005 ----- 10

2004 ------ 12

2010 shark draft------3

Mock drafts tend to be need heavy. Even for those who have a good feel for an organization, don't know what exactly their board looks like. Also, even with a weak FA class like this one, teams will resolve a couple of needs so mockers will be more willing to think BPA. The closer to the draft the more that some general rankings become accurate to what scouts and organization are really thinking.
Agreed. And I think we'll see that once some of these WRs and RBs post impressive combine #s, we'll likely have more skill guys in the 1st.

Other consideration:

Jonathan Dwyer - RB - GT

Other than playing the same position, how are these two similar?

Well the Walter Football mock has 2 QBs, 1 RB, 2 WRs, and 1 TE going in round 1. True they were short a lot of the skill guys that went in '09, but in '08 they were pretty spot on. We'll see. Part of this might have to do with the shape of this particular draft as well.

-QG

Other consideration:

Jonathan Dwyer - RB - GT

Other than playing the same position, how are these two similar?
Both have had weight issues. Tomlin sat him out of training camp due to weight issues. Neither is a great force in the pass rush. They are basically big bodies there to occupy blockers and get a push against the running game. I think both are natural big-bodied NTs. I don't think he will have the impact of Hampton right away but I do think he has the ability to do so down the line.

I think a lot of times these drafts go in runs. This one might turn into a DT/OT run. They will start going off the board in a hurry. However some teams draft strictly on BPA needs or not and I think a few of these RB,WR will be ranked pretty high after the combine. We only have a few scratch your head picks so far here. The actual draft there will be more, because we just don't know the needs of these franchises like they do.

Dallas Cowboys

I knew you didn't read much when you lash out on occasion in threads I start but this proves it :mellow:
:shrug: I think you might have me confused with someone else.My problem is that first you criticize the pick I made as being bad because you don't think Price fits in the Dallas scheme. It seems you don't even know what type of defensive scheme they run. They essentially roll out 3 penetrating DT sized down linemen in their base 3-4. Aside from McCoy, Price might be the best upfield DT in this class, and with Spears possibly on his way out, he could fill an immediate need.

Second, you suggest two guys that really don't fit their scheme. Griffin definitely doesn't have the size to play any of the three line positions and isn't moving to LB. As far as Pierre-Paul goes, you're talking about a raw, one-year Division 1 player whose game is best suited to be a Jared Allen type rush end in a 4-3. Making him add weight would most likely negatively impact his game, and trying to move him to linebacker would be a waste considering Ware and Anthony Spencer are two top outside rushers in their prime.

I have no issue with anyone disagreeing with my pick. However, I would at least expect your contradictory opinion to be accurate, and not some garbage you just pulled out of your ###.

With the 31st pick, the Colts select Jason Pierre-Paul, DE, South Florida

IMO this is a great combination of BPA and filling a need. I have seen mock drafts with Pierre-Paul getting selected in the top 5 and would be surprised if he falls this far in the real draft. The glaring lack of pass rush when Freeney was injured combined with the fact that Freeney and Mathis will be 30 and 29 respectively, I think it's time they added an elite prospect to help now and into the future.

:shrug: I think you might have me confused with someone else.

My problem is that first you criticize the pick I made as being bad because you don't think Price fits in the Dallas scheme. It seems you don't even know what type of defensive scheme they run. They essentially roll out 3 penetrating DT sized down linemen in their base 3-4. Aside from McCoy, Price might be the best upfield DT in this class, and with Spears possibly on his way out, he could fill an immediate need.

Second, you suggest two guys that really don't fit their scheme. Griffin definitely doesn't have the size to play any of the three line positions and isn't moving to LB. As far as Pierre-Paul goes, you're talking about a raw, one-year Division 1 player whose game is best suited to be a Jared Allen type rush end in a 4-3. Making him add weight would most likely negatively impact his game, and trying to move him to linebacker would be a waste considering Ware and Anthony Spencer are two top outside rushers in their prime.

I have no issue with anyone disagreeing with my pick. However, I would at least expect your contradictory opinion to be accurate, and not some garbage you just pulled out of your ###.
I defintiely have you pegged right, good luck

IMO this is a great combination of BPA and filling a need. I have seen mock drafts with Pierre-Paul getting selected in the top 5 and would be surprised if he falls this far in the real draft. The glaring lack of pass rush when Freeney was injured combined with the fact that Freeney and Mathis will be 30 and 29 respectively, I think it's time they added an elite prospect to help now and into the future.
SOD.Top 10 talent and the only elite edge rusher in this class.

:football: Good pick; Indy runs the perfect style of D for Pierre-Paul's skillset and with Freeneny and Mathis, they can take the time to develop him.

:football: I think you might have me confused with someone else.

My problem is that first you criticize the pick I made as being bad because you don't think Price fits in the Dallas scheme. It seems you don't even know what type of defensive scheme they run. They essentially roll out 3 penetrating DT sized down linemen in their base 3-4. Aside from McCoy, Price might be the best upfield DT in this class, and with Spears possibly on his way out, he could fill an immediate need.

I defintiely have you pegged right, good luck
You're right, that last comment was unnecessary.Seriously, I would like to hear your response to the points I brought up in the rest of post though.

With the 32nd pick, the Saints select Jahvid Best, RB, California

With a few picks left, was looking at both Spikes as well as Cody for this pick thinking one might fall. Then, as I was set to take Pierre-Paul, he went 1 pick ahead. While the need is at the DE/DT/LB spots for NO, Emerson may still be a reach here as would Sapp at LB. Odrick was another consideration, but again, seems to be a guy being graded out as a 2nd round talent. Best is a 1st round guy and could fill the shoes vacated by Reggie Bush. As much as I'd love to see Pierre Thomas take the lead role, Payton loves his RBBC and Best would fill in nicely over the next 2-3 years (if not sooner).

We've already had 30 SOD. Why not add another? Looking forward to the Saint's SOD too.Apparently you are infatuated with this guys athleticism and skillset. How is he and his 1 year of college and 6.5 sacks the only elite edge rusher in this class?

gianmarco said:

With a few picks left, was looking at both Spikes as well as Cody for this pick thinking one might fall. Then, as I was set to take Pierre-Paul, he went 1 pick ahead. While the need is at the DE/DT/LB spots for NO, Emerson may still be a reach here as would Sapp at LB. Odrick was another consideration, but again, seems to be a guy being graded out as a 2nd round talent. Best is a 1st round guy and could fill the shoes vacated by Reggie Bush. As much as I'd love to see Pierre Thomas take the lead role, Payton loves his RBBC and Best would fill in nicely over the next 2-3 years (if not sooner).
A RB? I'm not sold!

Just gimme a second as I review the round one picks and figure out which of the Rams' many needs I'll address.

gianmarco said:

A RB? I'm not sold!
I actually kinda like the pick.....I don't know which of the three will be there Bush, Thomas, or Bell, but I think at least one of those three will be missing next year. Best would do very well in Paytons system.

With the first pick in the second round (#33 overall) of the 2010 Shark Pool Mock Draft, the St. Louis Rams select...

2.01 Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma

It's been a long time since the Rams had a tight end who could be used as a receiving threat and properly utilized him. Tight ends are supposed to have a prominent role in the Rams offensive scheme, but all the team had was inconsistent Randy McMichael, Daniel Fells and Billy Bajema, and even McMichael likely won't be with the team next season.

The team has a nice collection of promising wide receivers who should develop nicely, but they need a playmaker who can use his size or get actual separation to make the catch. Seems simple, but it's been sorely lacking, and I believe Gresham is the most polished, versatile receiving option available here. The other options all have bigger question marks or resemble what the Rams already have.

Really hoped Weatherspoon dropped a little further, 'cause the Rams' starting OLBs make me sad. A defensive end could work here too, but Gresham has far more value.

Nice Gresham pick there at the top of the second. Obviously the injury concerns as well as the lack of blocking ability is concerning, but in terms of a versatile, matchup nightmare weapon, he's certainly a player the Rams can build around. How do you/how would you like to see the Rams address the QB position? Make a play for a free agent (Pennington, Campbell etc) take a later round QB and hope for the best? Try and build the rest of the team with the Boller/Null/other combination and take care of QB next year? Good first two picks in Suh and Gresham.

scrumptrulescent said:
treat88 said:
RC94 said:

We've already had 30 SOD. Why not add another? Looking forward to the Saint's SOD too.Apparently you are infatuated with this guys athleticism and skillset. How is he and his 1 year of college and 6.5 sacks the only elite edge rusher in this class?
What's up with the antagonistic tone?I believe Paul is a rare, rare athlete who combines length, elite burst, and bend like no prospect has since Julius Peppers.

I recognize the risk a 1 year player has and the lack of elite production is duly noted.

He's got a chance to be a very special player. I can't say the same about Morgan, Griffen, Dunlap, Graham, Hughes, or Sapp. They can be very good players, but if Paul realizes his upside he is a franchise talent.

I take it you disagree?

Users who are viewing this thread