What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2010 Shark Pool Mock Draft – v. 1 (2 Viewers)

Wow. Is Okung a sure thing LT in the NFL? I'm pretty sure McCoy is considered a sure thing but I've read that Okung may have been the 5th OT off the board if he'd been in the 2009 class.

Wow. Is Okung a sure thing LT in the NFL? I'm pretty sure McCoy is considered a sure thing but I've read that Okung may have been the 5th OT off the board if he'd been in the 2009 class.
Do I think he's a sure thing LT...absolutely not. I'm hoping as a fan that McCoy is hands down the pick here. I took the "what will Detroit do" scenario here. I believe the chances of Okung here are greater than we're all assuming right now.Hopefully I'm wrong

I understand it was a no brainer pick but.....2010 - #1 pick overall = DL2008 - #2 pick overall = DL2007 - #13 pick overall = DLWhat percentage of the Rams total team salary will be on the DL? 25%? :thumbup: As much crap as the Lions have taken about drafting WR's in the 1st round, the Rams deserve a little of that.
:)

I understand it was a no brainer pick but.....2010 - #1 pick overall = DL2008 - #2 pick overall = DL2007 - #13 pick overall = DLWhat percentage of the Rams total team salary will be on the DL? 25%? :unsure: As much crap as the Lions have taken about drafting WR's in the 1st round, the Rams deserve a little of that.
:bag:
I think Suh is the right choice at this point. None of the QBs strike me as #1 overall quality and Spags showed what he can do in 2008 with a defensive line that was loaded. I like the pick.

at 1.03 the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select

GERALD McCOY - DT - OKLAHOMA

Eric Berry is the best football player in the draft and we would have been happy to select him (even though safety usually isn't a position normally targeted in the top5). I also think he is the safest pick so it would be hard to argue taking the best/safest player in the draft. But you can't look a gift horse in the mouth and DT's of Suh's and McCoy's talent are not easy to find. So we took the one who dropped.

McCoy is the rare DT that can penetrate and disrupt the passing game yet still hold his own against the run - so it is a no brainer ... he may even be better than Suh when all said and done

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks to those who are taking the time to do the picking for this. very insightful and helpful thread here gang! greatly appreciated!

:football:

With the 4th pick in the 2010 NFL Draft, the Washington Redskins select.....

1.04 ERIC BERRY - S - TENNESSEE

A lot of people believe the Skins should take a QB here, I disagree....

I know Bradford says his shoulder is healthy, but I can not risk the future of the franchise and the waste of money on a guy who hurt the same shoulder twice in the same year, and almost as soon as he came back. Clausen is a very good prospect as well, but IMO, he is not better then any other of the top 5 QBs. I believe Campbell is very capable, and if they need to address this they will probably do so in the 2nd rd.

Eric Berry is a beast in the secondary, and after last year we all know that the Skins can use the help. Since the death of Taylor they lost a lot at safety, and with Rogers future with the Skins in the air, you need a versitle player like Berry who can also play corner and return the ball. He is quite possibly the safest pick in the draft.

Another option here is an OT, with Samuels leavin, Shanny might want to sure up that OL for his type of style offense. But when a great player is on the board that can change the face of the franchise on D, YOU TAKE HIM.

Landry and Berry in the deep secondary is scary, no?

I think that this is the worst case scenario for the Redskins. The have needs on both lines, and the best players from those positions are gone. I think Berry will be a mistake, as they would have too much money tied up with him and Landry. They would have one of the best young secondaries in the league, but I think that you have to build from the inside-out.

I think that this is the worst case scenario for the Redskins. The have needs on both lines, and the best players from those positions are gone. I think Berry will be a mistake, as they would have too much money tied up with him and Landry. They would have one of the best young secondaries in the league, but I think that you have to build from the inside-out.
Does this have anything to do with u hoping the Skins "won't" take him???Agreed for the most part, If McCoy or Okie-Kong was there, I would have taken them....A QB is a mistake, but Berry is a beast and I just cant see him being a "mistake".and to take a linemen, when the BPA could help the team, well I belive that could be a mistake. They missed Taylor deeply, and this will help them not get passed on "all day".But watch Shanny take Spiller or Dwyer anyways, lol

dang it....thought for sure Washington would go QB so I had my Eric Berry write up almost done.....give me a few....

i think most people are predicting (or would like to see) the skins to go QB in the first, but what if they dont!? i think it's great to spice things up with an against the grain pick in these mocks... nice work! keep it up!

With the 4th pick in the 2010 NFL Draft, the Washington Redskins select.....

1.04 ERIC BERRY - S - TENNESSEE

A lot of people believe the Skins should take a QB here, I disagree....

I know Bradford says his shoulder is healthy, but I can not risk the future of the franchise and the waste of money on a guy who hurt the same shoulder twice in the same year, and almost as soon as he came back. Clausen is a very good prospect as well, but IMO, he is not better then any other of the top 5 QBs. I believe Campbell is very capable, and if they need to address this they will probably do so in the 2nd rd.

Eric Berry is a beast in the secondary, and after last year we all know that the Skins can use the help. Since the death of Taylor they lost a lot at safety, and with Rogers future with the Skins in the air, you need a versitle player like Berry who can also play corner and return the ball. He is quite possibly the safest pick in the draft.

Another option here is an OT, with Samuels leavin, Shanny might want to sure up that OL for his type of style offense. But when a great player is on the board that can change the face of the franchise on D, YOU TAKE HIM.

Landry and Berry in the deep secondary is scary, no?
Shanahan knows how important it is to have a strong secondary; he traded Portis for Champ after all. If he feels Berry is that difference maker and the QB's don't float his boat taking a Safety isn't out of the question.

with the 5th selection the Kansas City Chiefs select..............

1.05 Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers

if it plays out this way but Washington ends up taking a QB.....Berry is the easy pick here.......but if not KC goes with Davis.....

there are some other lineman that could be taken here and some may be rated a little higher, but Davis is a beast at 6'6 and 325.....considered one of the best athletes period in the draft regardless of size....his stock will start to rise at the combine and should vault him ahead of the the other possible picks here......this pick allows KC to continue to build the oline that has been a disappointment for some time.....the oline did show some improvement towards the end of the year and Davis will only add to that.....this move gives them some flexability on the line and may allow them to move Albert to the inside....

this is tough for KC if the draft plays out this way, as I think they would have taken any of the 4 guys picked ahead of them over anybody else at this spot....if one of the four above fall, they will be the pick here....as a KC fan, I would love to see Berry fall to them in real life, but just don't think it will happen....almost threw a little wrench in things just for fun by taking Dez Bryant as KC could use another threat opposite of Bowe and after trading away Gonzo.....would be nice to have some toys to play with and keep Denver from getting him in our division, but the oline is a bigger need....

with the 6th selection the Seattle Seahawks select..............

1.06 Joe Haden, CB, Florida

The Seahawks start a new dynasty with Pete Carroll.....but which way will he go in the draft? Carroll is a defensive minded coach and he will try to resurrect a pass defense that ranked 30th in the league and total defense that ranked 24th in the league.

The core of that defense is Curry, Hill, and Tatupu. So building off of that strength could be easier than once thought.

Kelly Jennings is nothing more that a nickel CB and he isn't very good at that. Josh Wilson isn't the answer and Trufant isn't the player he once was.

This is an easy pick now that 2 OT's have already gone off the board.

-Joe Haden is experienced, played in big games, and will step in right away to start for Carroll. After Haden, this draft has a large drop off at the CB position. With another 1st round pick to go and an early second, the Seahawks can change focus to help on the other side of the ball.

1.05 & 1.06 are two great picks by their respective team's Draftmasters!

Some of the NFL organizations should take note of this!

Way to go guys.

lexus said:

Way to go guys.
I definitely think they're good picks, but NFL organizations can't be thinking the way we are on this board. They need to worry about ticket sales, who will be the face of the organization, and having a franchise QB. I think in a mock like this, Clausen and Bradford probably aren't real exciting picks, but in the real draft with real teams, they will need to consider many more things than us.

JMHO

lexus said:

Way to go guys.
I definitely think they're good picks, but NFL organizations can't be thinking the way we are on this board. They need to worry about ticket sales, who will be the face of the organization, and having a franchise QB. I think in a mock like this, Clausen and Bradford probably aren't real exciting picks, but in the real draft with real teams, they will need to consider many more things than us.

JMHO
:goodposting: While QB's are very risky...no matter what ticket sales, merch, and popularity/excitment surrounds a team when it happens.

lexus said:

Way to go guys.

JMHO
Well, if SLO and WAS and SEA are worried about getting franchise faces (read as franchise QBs for the future), then with 1 or 2 or 3 QBs getting drafted early rather than late the whole draft picture would change significantly.So how many QBs do you see going in the top 5, top 10, top 15, top 20, top 32?

lexus said:

Way to go guys.

JMHO
Well, if SLO and WAS and SEA are worried about getting franchise faces (read as franchise QBs for the future), then with 1 or 2 or 3 QBs getting drafted early rather than late the whole draft picture would change significantly.So how many QBs do you see going in the top 5, top 10, top 15, top 20, top 32?
I didn't mean so as a hit on what you said as I think Clausen and Bradford will probably drop farther in this mock than they will in the real draft because they probably aren't popular picks in a mock where football minded guys are trying to impress other football minded guys.Does that make any sense at all?

Anyway, pretty much everyone here probably thinks it's a no brainer pick for St. Louis to take Suh but I'm quite sure they are and will be studying Bradford and Clausen very hard because they're a crappy team that isn't giving their fanbase any reason for excitement. They need a franchise QB badly. How many ticket sales are those 3 first round defensive lineman going to bring in anyway?

Do I think he's a sure thing LT...absolutely not. I'm hoping as a fan that McCoy is hands down the pick here. I took the "what will Detroit do" scenario here. I believe the chances of Okung here are greater than we're all assuming right now.Hopefully I'm wrong
I'd be SHOCKED if the lions go Okung here. I would not be surprised to see Okung fall and be the 2nd OT taken off the board. The lions have a glaring weakness (actually, number of glaring weaknesses) at the one position that has the two elite prospects. If they pass on one of them for a tackle who is not a top prospect it'll go against all that the lions F.O has preached since he who's name should not be spoken was fired.

I'd be SHOCKED if the lions go Okung here. I would not be surprised to see Okung fall and be the 2nd OT taken off the board. The lions have a glaring weakness (actually, number of glaring weaknesses) at the one position that has the two elite prospects. If they pass on one of them for a tackle who is not a top prospect it'll go against all that the lions F.O has preached since he who's name should not be spoken was fired.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Jeff Backus graded out pretty well last year, no? Not sure I see the need for Okung over McCoy either.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Jeff Backus graded out pretty well last year, no? Not sure I see the need for Okung over McCoy either.
Yeah, coaches had said that he graded out well. I think the argument has been raised that drafting Okung (or another LT) would essentially fill two roles -- either he plays LG or RT while Backus winds down his career or he is better than BAckus and Backus moves to one of those positions and improving it.I think they need a LT to protect Stafford, but not this year when Suh and McCoy are available to help the 2 time worst defense in the league champs. :no:

lexus said:

Way to go guys.

JMHO
I didn't mean so as a hit on what you said as I think Clausen and Bradford will probably drop farther in this mock than they will in the real draft because they probably aren't popular picks in a mock where football minded guys are trying to impress other football minded guys.Does that make any sense at all?

Anyway, pretty much everyone here probably thinks it's a no brainer pick for St. Louis to take Suh but I'm quite sure they are and will be studying Bradford and Clausen very hard because they're a crappy team that isn't giving their fanbase any reason for excitement. They need a franchise QB badly. How many ticket sales are those 3 first round defensive lineman going to bring in anyway?
I did not take your comment as a hit, in any manner, way, shape, or form. I agree with you 100%.And now I would like some discussion on how the drafting of 1 or 2 or 3 QBs could impact the first round of the NFL draft itself.

We are on the same side of the street on this issue/matter!

:rolleyes:

Sorry for the delay, didn't know when this was going to start. My pick will be submitted in a couple of minutes........................

With the 7th overall pick in the 2010 NFL draft the Cleveland Browns select:

ROLANDO McCLAIN LB ALABAMA

The Browns need to hit on all of their draft selections and McClain is a pretty solid pick. No one is a "can't miss" but a talent linebacker like McClain is pretty close. So it would behoove them to add a fast-rising prospect like McClain, an amazing tackler that can cover a lot of ground from the middle linebacker spot. He’s got great fundamentals and has a knack of shedding blockers to make big tackles.

I really wanted Haden. This would definetly be the worse case scenario for Cleveland

With the 7th overall pick in the 2010 NFL draft the Cleveland Browns select:

ROLANDO McCLAIN LB ALABAMA

The Browns need to hit on all of their draft selections and McClain is a pretty solid pick. No one is a "can't miss" but a talent linebacker like McClain is pretty close. So it would behoove them to add a fast-rising prospect like McClain, an amazing tackler that can cover a lot of ground from the middle linebacker spot. He’s got great fundamentals and has a knack of shedding blockers to make big tackles.

I really wanted Haden. This would definetly be the worse case scenario for Cleveland
Knowing the Browns, I'm sure that they will pull off something worse than this at their pick! And I'm 100% serious!

With the 8th overall pick the OAKLAND RAIDERS select....

CARLOS DUNLAP DE UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA

Hard to pass up on a QB especially in the situation the Raiders are in but they were already burned by Russell. Hoped for one of those tackles to slide to this pick so that Oak could finally make a smart choice with their first. But what would a draft be without Al Davis reaching for a player based off of his talent. Dunlap is exactly that. He is a 6'6" 293lbs freak of an athlete. I think he is really going to turn heads in his skill drills and Davis will fall in love with him. Even will all the other needs, Davis once again reaches for talent and athleticism and drafts Carlos Dunlap with the eighth overall pick.

With the 9th selection the Buffalo Bills select...

Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma Sooners

I was really surprised to see both of the QB’s available and was almost dreading having to decide between the two. But I guess I would rather have the problem of picking which one I wanted as to not having either one available. I think the Buffalo Bills need a franchise QB more than any other team in the NFL right now. The options the Bills have on the roster are pure cannon fodder.

When trying to decide between the two I chose to go with the one I felt would be better for the Bills offense. Not really knowing what the offense is going to be like I tried to think of Chan Gailey while in K.C. He was able to open up the passing attack and use a more agile QB. So I guess that’s why I went with Bradford. I feel his running ability is not great but much better than people seem to think. His shoulder is going to test out just fine and the Bills will fall in love with his accuracy and intelligence. When Bradford was healthy his freshman and sophomore years he was in my opinion hands down the best QB in the NCAA. The Buffalo Bills get themselves the franchise QB they have been searching for since Jim Kelly. Now all we have to do is protect him…

With the 9th selection the Buffalo Bills select...

Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma Sooners

I was really surprised to see both of the QB’s available and was almost dreading having to decide between the two. But I guess I would rather have the problem of picking which one I wanted as to not having either one available. I think the Buffalo Bills need a franchise QB more than any other team in the NFL right now. The options the Bills have on the roster are pure cannon fodder.

When trying to decide between the two I chose to go with the one I felt would be better for the Bills offense. Not really knowing what the offense is going to be like I tried to think of Chan Gailey while in K.C. He was able to open up the passing attack and use a more agile QB. So I guess that’s why I went with Bradford. I feel his running ability is not great but much better than people seem to think. His shoulder is going to test out just fine and the Bills will fall in love with his accuracy and intelligence. When Bradford was healthy his freshman and sophomore years he was in my opinion hands down the best QB in the NCAA. The Buffalo Bills get themselves the franchise QB they have been searching for since Jim Kelly. Now all we have to do is protect him…
If not, his shoulder will just pop out again. :mellow: So hope you get some OL help in the 2nd.

With the 10th pick the Jacksonville Jaguars select:

Jimmy Clausen - QB - Notre Dame

I'll do a write up later. Just popped on so as not to hold things up too much.

EDIT: I would have been happier with the pick if Bradford had fallen one more spot. While I'm personally not excited about Clausen's NFL potential, this pick would be by far the fan choice in this spot. The Jags biggest need is a pass rusher but none come close to need meeting value at this spot. Dez Bryant gets strong consideration here and if it was really my call he would likely be the pick. But Gene Smith has proven that he is committed to avoiding players with character concerns and in spite having a mostly clean record I think the D. Sanders situation coupled with Eugene Parker's recent history of demands with Crabtree at the 10th pick last season would be enough to encourage the Jags to look elsewhere. Clausen's value likely doesn't match the 10th pick either, but QBs always go at inflated values and there's certainly a need for a young QB to replace the eternally average Garrard.

Wadsworth said:
With the 10th pick the Jacksonville Jaguars select:Jimmy Clausen - QB - Notre DameI'll do a write up later. Just popped on so as not to hold things up too much.
That must be one long write up :excited: I think someone fell asleep. Nice job on getting in the pic.Let's get this thing going again this morning, sorry for the delay yesterday (I didn't know it had started to be honest.)Looking forward to today and getting alot of submissions.

1.11 Denver selects DT Dan Williams Tennessee

Denver gave up over 200 yards rushing to the Raiders and Chiefs toward the end of the year. They gave up at least 173 yards in 5 of their final nine games. NT Ronnie Fields was decent but wore down as the year wore on. At 6'2", 327 Dan Williams is a big run stuffer who impressed at the Senior Bowl and he should be able to work his way into the defensive rotation from day one. He's a big dude who can take up blockers and fills probably the biggest need for the Broncos. Some draft sites have him ranked as the #1 NT prospect in the draft.

Well there goes my theory that QB's wouldn't be popular in this mock. Shows what little I know. :popcorn:
:wall: If Clausen does drop down to the Jags (which I find highly unlikely), I can't see them going any other way. He's not Mr. Gator, but they're looking for a new QB, and he should help sell some tickets too.

1.12 Miami selects WR Dez Bryant, Oklahoma State

We all know Tuna does not select Wrs in the first round but the phins were not able to fill the void in FA and Dez is too good a talent to pass.

They know they cannot go into another season with a bunch of number 2's and 3's at WR (Love you to death Bess but you are not a 1). Dez will give Miami the true #1 allowing Bess to fill the 2 and Ginn to go to the slot and handle kickoff returns.

I know this is a Shark Pool draft, but 2 things have happened in here that will not happen on draft day.

1) A QB will go in the top 5. Someone will probably trade up.

2) The Jags will not take a QB in round 1. Not that I think Garrad is a long term answer, but he somehow made it to the Pro Bowl. Why would you take a QB in the 1st after that?

I know this is a Shark Pool draft, but 2 things have happened in here that will not happen on draft day.1) A QB will go in the top 5. Someone will probably trade up.2) The Jags will not take a QB in round 1. Not that I think Garrad is a long term answer, but he somehow made it to the Pro Bowl. Why would you take a QB in the 1st after that?
That's three things :loco:

2) The Jags will not take a QB in round 1. Not that I think Garrad is a long term answer, but he somehow made it to the Pro Bowl. Why would you take a QB in the 1st after that?
I'm not saying they definitely will, but both the team owner and coach have all but said that Garrard is not the answer. As for the Pro Bowl, he was one of three alternates for the AFC team, but that says more about the lack of consistent QB play in the conference than it does about him.

I know this is a Shark Pool draft, but 2 things have happened in here that will not happen on draft day.2) The Jags will not take a QB in round 1. Not that I think Garrad is a long term answer, but he somehow made it to the Pro Bowl. Why would you take a QB in the 1st after that?
QB is not the biggest position of need for the Jaguars, but the Garrard experiment has run it's course. While he did sneak into the Pro bowl, he was the 4th QB from his own division offered an invitation, much less the entire AFC. His 4th quarter QB rating during the latest late season collapse of the Jaguars was somewhere around 50. Pro Bowl or not, he's is not a QB to rebuild around and the Jaguars are in full on rebuild mode.

I know this is a Shark Pool draft, but 2 things have happened in here that will not happen on draft day.

Well I do hope so. If KC is sitting there like they are in this mock, then I pray someone wants to jump in front of Seattle to pick the QB of their choice. And I would further hope it would be Buffalo, to keep us in front of Denver for a pass rusher or NT Williams. :hifive: As is, I would hope KC would take Dez Bryant over Davis. Albert fills LT adequately, and we can get RT/G/C later in 2nd round, but we won't get another Dez Bryant. Don't get me wrong tho, I am ok with Davis, but just ok. Stinkin Ref was definitely put in a tough spot, all 4 of the logical picks for KC were gone.

Good work so far gang! Only pick I truly dislike is Jacksonville, just can't see them NOT taking Dez Bryant at that point. He and MSW would improve that team much more than Clausen, imo. But the ticket sales angle is a big one, and it's not my $ we're talkin about. Best pick in top baker's dozen - Miami nabbing the consensus top WR @12, a true steal!

Thanks for the mock, I'm enjoyin it!

Well I do hope so. If KC is sitting there like they are in this mock, then I pray someone wants to jump in front of Seattle to pick the QB of their choice. And I would further hope it would be Buffalo, to keep us in front of Denver for a pass rusher or NT Williams. :goodposting: As is, I would hope KC would take Dez Bryant over Davis. Albert fills LT adequately, and we can get RT/G/C later in 2nd round, but we won't get another Dez Bryant. Don't get me wrong tho, I am ok with Davis, but just ok. Stinkin Ref was definitely put in a tough spot, all 4 of the logical picks for KC were gone.

Good work so far gang! Only pick I truly dislike is Jacksonville, just can't see them NOT taking Dez Bryant at that point. He and MSW would improve that team much more than Clausen, imo. But the ticket sales angle is a big one, and it's not my $ we're talkin about. Best pick in top baker's dozen - Miami nabbing the consensus top WR @12, a true steal!

Thanks for the mock, I'm enjoyin it!
I agree with a lot of what you said.....I could see KC's phone ringing off the hook and them very easily trading down out of this pick.....especially on draft day if STL and WASH pass on a QB....personally I think as the draft gets closer, there will be quite a few teams looking to move up to the 5th slot in front of several of the teams right behind KC who may be looking at QB or Spiller.....KC could still get quality picks later in the first and adding picks in later rounds would be nice....the true winner may be the team that ends up with Bryant after all the smoke clears....would love to see KC add Bryant, but if they do, I don't think it will be with the 5th pick....it might happen if they trade down a few slots.....if/when Marshall leaves Denver, they immediatley jump into the Bryant equation because any deal involving Marshall probably means another high pick coming Denver's way......and that would allow them to use their first pick on Bryant and fill some other holes with the pick/s they get for Marshall......

With the 14th selection the Seattle Seahawks select Bryan Bulaga OT Iowa

What happened the last time the Seahawks drafted a Big Ten lineman in the first round? They went to the Super Bowl....then let Hutchinson go.

Bulaga is 6'6 311 and is versatile. Iowa lineman come out very polished and he can fill a void that will be left with Walter Jones retiring.

Bulaga and Max Unger is a great start to the rebuild of this offensive line. Keeping Hasselbeck upright is the upmost concern, especially at his age.

With how the draft was going, I was truely hoping that one of the two QB's would fall here. But either way I have two immediate starters that are polished players....no busts here in Seattle.

Users who are viewing this thread