What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2010 Shark Pool Mock Draft – v. 1 (1 Viewer)

I love how people think this, and think that....or know what teams will and won't do.

Did anyone see the Raiders taking DHB or Lions drafting WR 4 years in a row?

The fact of the matter is no one knows what will happen, whats why they call this a mock. :thumbup:

With the 15th pick, the New York Giants select Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma

I know there are a lot of needs on defense, but there are some good free agents available and the Giants will pursue some fixes that way, particularly at LB. This team has needed a LT upgrade for a couple of years now so IMO the need argument applies to OT as much as any position on defense. Beatty will probably be the long term replacement for McKenzie at RT but the left side of this line is still weak. Diehl is an all-pro caliber Guard but average at best as a LT. Getting his replacement in Williams improves 2 positions since it allows Diehl to move back to LG so it not only fills an important need, but also has a bigger overall impact than other positions.

I can understand the need for the Lions to draft an O-lineman, but you do NOT pass up on McCoy. I was leery at first in drafting him, but after reading/watching him a good bit the last month, I am convinced that whichever one is available (Suh or McCoy), you take him! Their defense needs more work than their offense. Trade or draft O-linemen after that pick, I don't care. Maybe shop the 2.02 pick and move up into the 1st round and take one of the top O-linemen too? That would make my day... :shrug:

1.13 49ers select Derrick MorganSorry, on the road, write up laterPlease PM next
Worst pick so far, IMO, just from a reality standpoint.Don't understand where he'd fit in that 49ers D with his skill set.He doesn't have the agility to be an OLB, and he'll get run over as a 3-4 DE.

vandyt said:
1.13 49ers select Derrick MorganSorry, on the road, write up laterPlease PM next
Worst pick so far, IMO, just from a reality standpoint.Don't understand where he'd fit in that 49ers D with his skill set.He doesn't have the agility to be an OLB, and he'll get run over as a 3-4 DE.
Oof. Seems to me like you passed on two RTs and took a guy that doesn't fit the system.Looking forward to your explanation.

Last edited by a moderator:
1.16 Bruce Campbell, Maryland, OT

With the number of quality OTs that were available at my last pick, I took a player that I felt was falling and was BPA. Could have been a mistake with OTs now flying off the board. With Campbell, I get that last one in this tier.

With the 1.17 pick of the Draft, the Titans select.........

Sergio Kindle

Where the Titans go here really depends on the best player available, but the Titans need a DE since VandenBosch and Kearse are FA’s/old, a CB to play opposite Finnegan and a LB to take over for Bulluck who is a FA (coming off a torn ACL, if they bring him back).

They are also desperate for a PR/KR since they tried out everyone with a pulse last year in that position. I would be surprised if Fisher went OL right here since it looks like they are going to be able to re-sign Amano at LG.

One of the biggest liabilities for the Titans this past year was the ability to get to the QB. I don't think they will take a DT early unless they think the value is tremendous, since it's not as big of a need as DE, CB, or OLB.

One possibility that I would not rule out is for the Titans to trade out of the first round and pick up more picks/players, since Fisher has been known to stock up on picks, and they also currently don’t have a second. Especially with Spiller sitting right there at this time. I think they would seriously be working the phones right now.

That being said, the Titans take Sergio Kindle DE/OLB at the 17th pick. I think this would be the most versatile pick for them since he can either play at the DE with a little more weight or at the OLB spot at his current weight. At 6-4 255 he played great at the BCS title game with 8 tackles and 2.5 sacks. Plus anyone that plays for Texas will get plenty of consideration from the Titans.

A lot of Mocks I have seen have Pierre-Paul in this spot for the DE. Although he is freak of nature, he has not played much football and considered somewhat of a project, and the Titans don't have time for that.

Look for the Titans to try to find a CB/KR in the 3rd round since they don’t have a 2nd. I like Javier Arenas from Alabama or Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, Indiana of Penn(mainly because of his name).

1.18 Steelers select Mike Iupati, G, Idaho

Guy proved at the senior bowl that he's a road grader of the highest order. Plugging him in with Starks - Kemo - Hartwig - Iupati - Colon instantly upgrades the Steelers' o-line from mediocre to solid.

Take that, IB. :lmao:

Guy proved at the senior bowl that he's a road grader of the highest order. Plugging him in with Starks - Kemo - Hartwig - Iupati - Colon instantly upgrades the Steelers' o-line from mediocre to solid.

Take that, IB. :shrug:
I was pondering him with the Pats pick at 22. He certainly seems like a player right out of the Steelers central casting department. With Neal not retiring, according to his agent, it doesn't seem to be as much of a pressing need with the young depth behind him; he is a Free Agent though and plans to test the water. The cat just can't seem to stay healthy so that may hurt his prospects.

Just an FYI - if it gets to the Colts pick tomorrow, go ahead and pick for me. I won't be around until Friday evening - maybe lunch if I'm lucky.

With the 1.17 pick of the Draft, the Titans select.........

Sergio Kindle

Where the Titans go here really depends on the best player available, but the Titans need a DE since VandenBosch and Kearse are FA’s/old, a CB to play opposite Finnegan and a LB to take over for Bulluck who is a FA (coming off a torn ACL, if they bring him back).

They are also desperate for a PR/KR since they tried out everyone with a pulse last year in that position. I would be surprised if Fisher went OL right here since it looks like they are going to be able to re-sign Amano at LG.

One of the biggest liabilities for the Titans this past year was the ability to get to the QB. I don't think they will take a DT early unless they think the value is tremendous, since it's not as big of a need as DE, CB, or OLB.

One possibility that I would not rule out is for the Titans to trade out of the first round and pick up more picks/players, since Fisher has been known to stock up on picks, and they also currently don’t have a second. Especially with Spiller sitting right there at this time. I think they would seriously be working the phones right now.

That being said, the Titans take Sergio Kindle DE/OLB at the 17th pick. I think this would be the most versatile pick for them since he can either play at the DE with a little more weight or at the OLB spot at his current weight. At 6-4 255 he played great at the BCS title game with 8 tackles and 2.5 sacks. Plus anyone that plays for Texas will get plenty of consideration from the Titans.

A lot of Mocks I have seen have Pierre-Paul in this spot for the DE. Although he is freak of nature, he has not played much football and considered somewhat of a project, and the Titans don't have time for that.

Look for the Titans to try to find a CB/KR in the 3rd round since they don’t have a 2nd. I like Javier Arenas from Alabama or Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, Indiana of Penn(mainly because of his name).
:rolleyes: I'm just wondering how well he fits in here. Your analysis is spot on, so you're probably right that he's a good pick. Trading down would be ideal, I wonder if Cromartie and 1.28 would be worth it.

I hate to do this but since things are running so slow I have to have someone take over for my Cleveland pick.

I'm leaving for Vegas :wall: ;) :thumbup: tommorrow afternoon and won't be around a computer.

Sorry, I didn't know it was going to take this long.

Good luck to all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Take that, IB. :lmao:
I was pondering him with the Pats pick at 22. He certainly seems like a player right out of the Steelers central casting department. With Neal not retiring, according to his agent, it doesn't seem to be as much of a pressing need with the young depth behind him; he is a Free Agent though and plans to test the water. The cat just can't seem to stay healthy so that may hurt his prospects.
Pondering him for the Pack as well.

With the 19th pick, the Atlanta Falcons select......

1.19 Brandon Graham - OLB (DE) - Michigan

I was torn between Graham and Griffen (DE), but with the ability of this Senior Bowl MVP to bring an explosive pass rush to a team that needs the speed from the outside desperatly, Atlanta chooses Graham. He is a big physical player who may be moved to DE, which was why they took him over Griffen. Atlantas pass rush only had 28 sacks this past year and also is in need of someone who can stop the run outside, Graham can do that. IMO, Graham should not be here based of Senior Bowl performance alone, Atlanta jumps on this before the clock starts at pick 19.

Another possibility here other then Griffen could have been Mays as well.

Take that, IB. :)
:confused:

Graham's going to make for a pretty small 4-3 DE for Atlanta at 6'1", 268 lbs. A little surprised by this choice.Great football player though. Green Bay has to cross another guy off their big board. :homer:

Take that, IB. :wub:
:lmao:
I want this guy badly. I wanted him badly before the Senior Bowl, I wish he hadn't played because his stock went up. He's 6'6" 330 lbs and fast as hell - reminds me of a better Kemo. Nasty and strong as an ox. Only downside is that he's still raw - he didn't start playing football until age 14 and didn't learn English until that time either, so he hasn't been as easy to coach. He still has some footwork flaws and can get caught reaching, but he has all the tools and as much upside as anyone in the draft (along with Davis.) He can play G right away and has all the tools to be a LT down the road if they can get his feet right.However, when the actual draft rolls around, don't be shocked if the Steelers take a NT. I think they want a guy in soon that can be Hampton's successor and those types of guys are hard to find. Hampton's 33 and has a history of weight issues, I see a tag in his future rather than a 4-year megabucks deal.

The Houston Texans select Earl Thomas DB University of Texas

The ability of Thomas to be a cover safety and/or potential even play corner makes him the pick here. The need is a defensive back with ball skills from either position. If Dunta Robinson goes via free agency then Thomas has the cover skills to play CB. If Robinson returns, then the okay, but not special Eugene Wilson becomes quality veteran depth. Earl's weakness is against the run, but paired with Pollard he would not be placed in a run support situation very often.

However, when the actual draft rolls around, don't be shocked if the Steelers take a NT. I think they want a guy in soon that can be Hampton's successor and those types of guys are hard to find. Hampton's 33 and has a history of weight issues, I see a tag in his future rather than a 4-year megabucks deal.
So is Big Moobs Cody on the Pitt big board in the 1st?

The Houston Texans select Earl Thomas DB University of Texas

The ability of Thomas to be a cover safety and/or potential even play corner makes him the pick here. The need is a defensive back with ball skills from either position. If Dunta Robinson goes via free agency then Thomas has the cover skills to play CB. If Robinson returns, then the okay, but not special Eugene Wilson becomes quality veteran depth. Earl's weakness is against the run, but paired with Pollard he would not be placed in a run support situation very often.
Exactly the pick I was expecting and would have made here for the Texans. Fills a need and could be considered a value at this point in the draft. Well done. :lmao:

However, when the actual draft rolls around, don't be shocked if the Steelers take a NT. I think they want a guy in soon that can be Hampton's successor and those types of guys are hard to find. Hampton's 33 and has a history of weight issues, I see a tag in his future rather than a 4-year megabucks deal.
So is Big Moobs Cody on the Pitt big board in the 1st?
It's possible.

1.21 - Bengals Select - Taylor Mays, S, USC

I think this is a good year for the Bengals to drop down a few spots. They have plenty of spots they need upgrades(WR, TE, G, DE, DT, LB, Nickel, S) so they have a lot of freedom with this pick. Most mocks have them taking Gresham, and I hear Mike Brown is interested, but I can't make that pick. Bratkowski would have no idea what to do with him. Hopefully they resign Kelly who is an excellent blocker, and they can take one later in the draft. I don't like the value of WR here either.

I don't know if Mays will still be here after the Combine. He's a freak and someone will fall in love with him if he runs a 4.4 at 6'3 230. I know there is a lot of Mays hate for his disappointing play this year. Everyone loved him at this time last year... what changed? He lost 3/4 of the guys around him, he play a different role, and had a knee injury. A disappointing season where he led the team in tackles, and earned first-team All-American. I believe Zimmer can get the most out of kid... he did with Roy, and Mays has more physical tools to work with. Seems like a good way to reward Zimmer for staying. :rolleyes:

eta: Also doesn't hurt to add a 5th USC guy.

Take that, IB. ;)
:sadbanana:
I want this guy badly. I wanted him badly before the Senior Bowl, I wish he hadn't played because his stock went up. He's 6'6" 330 lbs and fast as hell - reminds me of a better Kemo. Nasty and strong as an ox. Only downside is that he's still raw - he didn't start playing football until age 14 and didn't learn English until that time either, so he hasn't been as easy to coach. He still has some footwork flaws and can get caught reaching, but he has all the tools and as much upside as anyone in the draft (along with Davis.) He can play G right away and has all the tools to be a LT down the road if they can get his feet right.However, when the actual draft rolls around, don't be shocked if the Steelers take a NT. I think they want a guy in soon that can be Hampton's successor and those types of guys are hard to find. Hampton's 33 and has a history of weight issues, I see a tag in his future rather than a 4-year megabucks deal.
I don't see how they can pass Iupati up if he's there. As you said, a strong RG can bring our OL from poor to stable with potential. No doubt they need an NT, but they can get one in Rd 2.

Graham's going to make for a pretty small 4-3 DE for Atlanta at 6'1", 268 lbs. A little surprised by this choice.Great football player though. Green Bay has to cross another guy off their big board. :thumbup:
He will play OLB, but has the versitility to play DE, I dont think he will fully evolve to a DE, but as a OLB he should help the core of the Defense out for years to come.

:thumbup:
I don't see how they can pass Iupati up if he's there. As you said, a strong RG can bring our OL from poor to stable with potential. No doubt they need an NT, but they can get one in Rd 2.
Wouldn't be surprised if the pick is Pouncey instead of Iupati. He can play any IOL position but will be a natural replacement for Hartwig if Legs flames out. (Hartwig was easily the weak link on the line.) He's a better prospect than Mack was, and IIRC he's barely 20 years old. 2012 All Pro C potential.As much as I want the OL shored up, it's tough for me to value IOL as a mid-1st round value.

That said, my pick at this point would have been Earl Thomas. Starts over Gay in Year 1 or even Clark if he walks. CB/S is easily the thinnest position on the Steelers roster and it would do wonders to add some ball skills to this group.

1.22 New England Patriots select C. J. Spiller RB Clemson

The Patriots need impact players on both sides of the ball. Spiller would be a great addition to the offense. Moss is in the last year of his contract, Edelman looks as though he can fill the role somewhat for Welker but it would be a lot to expect for him to match Wes's production and the RB's are largely on the other side of 30 with Maroney providing little in the way of a consistent punch. Spiller will not have to completely carry the load in the backfield and his return ability will provide a dynamism the team has lacked since Hobbs went to Philly. Spiller can also learn from K Faulk and slide into his role when he leaves after another year or so.

The Patriots need impact players on both sides of the ball. Spiller would be a great addition to the offense. Moss is in the last year of his contract, Edelman looks as though he can fill the role somewhat for Welker but it would be a lot to expect for him to match Wes's production and the RB's are largely on the other side of 30 with Maroney providing little in the way of a consistent punch. Spiller will not have to completely carry the load in the backfield and his return ability will provide a dynamism the team has lacked since Hobbs went to Philly. Spiller can also learn from K Faulk and slide into his role when he leaves after another year or so.
Of course in real life, some team will have a huge one for Spiller or some player at this point and overpay for the pick while NE moves down and accumulates more wealth. But, this is a mock :sadbanana:

You just crushed me! I was typing up my Spiller post. I did not see this coming with all of NE's defensive needs.
Believe me, it wasn't an easy decision. The Pats have issues/uncertainties with their front seven for sure. Maroney's inability to produce with any kind of consistency really hurts the team. The older guys just can't stay healthy and Faulk is the only reliable RB from week to week.

Of course in real life, some team will have a huge one for Spiller or some player at this point and overpay for the pick while NE moves down and accumulates more wealth. But, this is a mock ;)
Yeah, I doubt Spiller drops all the way to 22, but the Patriots would have to be thrilled. This still leaves their three picks in the second round to take care of the defense, and Spiller would provide an immediate spark for the offense and return game. As you said, it also helps that he can probably slide into the Faulk role in time. I love the guy, but the clock's ticking for him and New England could sure use a replacement.

Wouldn't be surprised if the pick is Pouncey instead of Iupati. He can play any IOL position but will be a natural replacement for Hartwig if Legs flames out. (Hartwig was easily the weak link on the line.) He's a better prospect than Mack was, and IIRC he's barely 20 years old. 2012 All Pro C potential.As much as I want the OL shored up, it's tough for me to value IOL as a mid-1st round value.That said, my pick at this point would have been Earl Thomas. Starts over Gay in Year 1 or even Clark if he walks. CB/S is easily the thinnest position on the Steelers roster and it would do wonders to add some ball skills to this group.
I wouldn't be surprised if Pittsburgh has taken a shine to Pouncey either. I'd hope if they wanted him they'd explore a trade down.As much as I agree with you about DB being extremely thin, the most important spot on the defensive side of the ball has a couple of 33 year olds manning it. I'm not advocating they take Cody at 18, but I certainly will not be able to fault them for addressing NT if they chose to go that direction. Either with a trade down or possibly considering Williams with their original pick if available(I know he wasn't in this mock). It's easy to say "Oh, they can get a NT in round 2." Yeah, well, they can probably get an OG in round 2 easier. The Steelers aren't only one of 2-3 teams running the 3-4 any longer. Sitting at 18, if they're not taking a tackle that's too high for an OL unless you are almost certain he's going to pan out. I like the big Samoan kid okay.....but he feels a bit overhyped to me. The talk of him being able to play tackle, etc.....I dunno. IMO, if he could play OT he'd be playing OT. I guess we'll see. I'd prefer a trade down if their draft scenario played out like it has here. Get extra picks and see which of Pouncey or Cody are available(or even Iupati if he falls). If none of those players are, explore DB options and then load up on both lines after that.That all said, I wouldn't be "upset" with them taking Iupati at #18, I will just be wondering if they made the best decision.

1.23 - The Green Bay Packers select Charles Brown, OT, USC

The Packers are reeling after the New England pick of Spiller at 22. Ted Thompson is furiously calling teams in an attempt to trade down. But since trades aren't happening here, Green Bay decides to take a chance on the extremely athletic OT from USC. Brown is a converted TE with great footwork and excellent pass blocking skills. He's a decent run blocker and his athleticism would translate well to Green Bay's zone blocking run game. Brown has a ton going for him but he needs to gain weight in a big way to make it at the next level. At 6'5" he's definitely tall enough, but at 290 pounds he needs to add weight. With most of the elite talent off the board the Packers decide to fill a need.

I hate this pick because I don't think Brown is a 1st round talent. I was hoping for the splash with Spiller because Green Bay is a team that could win now and a guy like Spiller could add enough to get them to where they want to go. Brown may be more of a future pick.....paying dividends 2-3 years down the road. It is a need though for Aaron Rodgers sake and if Brown beefs up, he could be a good one.

Other considerations: Jahvid Best, Jared Odrick

ETA: If Brown shows up at the combine and weighs in at 300+ pounds, then we may have something here. He's been compared to Jason Smith who was taken #2 overall by the Rams in 2009 and if Brown puts on about 15 more pounds without losing his speed, he could move up in the draft.

treat88 said:
Idiot Boxer said:
Evilgrin 72 said:

:kicksrock:
Wouldn't be surprised if the pick is Pouncey instead of Iupati. He can play any IOL position but will be a natural replacement for Hartwig if Legs flames out. (Hartwig was easily the weak link on the line.) He's a better prospect than Mack was, and IIRC he's barely 20 years old. 2012 All Pro C potential.As much as I want the OL shored up, it's tough for me to value IOL as a mid-1st round value.

That said, my pick at this point would have been Earl Thomas. Starts over Gay in Year 1 or even Clark if he walks. CB/S is easily the thinnest position on the Steelers roster and it would do wonders to add some ball skills to this group.
I think Essex was weaker than Hartwig.

The Packers are reeling after the New England pick of Spiller at 22. Ted Thompson is furiously calling teams in an attempt to trade down. But since trades aren't happening here, Green Bay decides to take a chance on the extremely athletic OT from USC. Brown is a converted TE with great footwork and excellent pass blocking skills. He's a decent run blocker and his athleticism would translate well to Green Bay's zone blocking run game. Brown has a ton going for him but he needs to gain weight in a big way to make it at the next level. At 6'5" he's definitely tall enough, but at 290 pounds he needs to add weight. With most of the elite talent off the board the Packers decide to fill a need.

I hate this pick because I don't think Brown is a 1st round talent. I was hoping for the splash with Spiller because Green Bay is a team that could win now and a guy like Spiller could add enough to get them to where they want to go. Brown may be more of a future pick.....paying dividends 2-3 years down the road. It is a need though for Aaron Rodgers sake and if Brown beefs up, he could be a good one.

Of course in the real world of the NFL the Patriots are still hurting from their trade with the Packers and the Jackson/Jennings swap!!!

Of course in the real world of the NFL the Patriots are still hurting from their trade with the Packers and the Jackson/Jennings swap!!!
In the real world of the NFL I'll bet Ted Thompson will be calling NE inquiring about all those 2nd round picks to see if the Pats are interested in trading up into the 1st giving them b2b 1st round picks. In this draft that may give you Spiller and........Odrick?

Btw, :thumbdown: to Kirby on the Mays pick. Doubt the kid will land there but even with the issues at WR, I think the Bengals should take the superior talent. There will be guys to get that can stretch the field in round 2.

-QG

With the 24th pick in the NFL Draft the Philadelphia Eagles select

1. 24 Seah Weatherspoon, OLB, Missouri

Great Senior Bowl.

Solid Pass Rusher

Playmaking and Athleticism the Eagles need at this position. He is durable, charasmatic.

With the 24th pick in the NFL Draft the Philadelphia Eagles select

1. 24 Seah Weatherspoon, OLB, Missouri

Great Senior Bowl.

Solid Pass Rusher

Playmaking and Athleticism the Eagles need at this position. He is durable, charasmatic.
Saints Front Office: :ph34r:

scrumptrulescent said:
munchkin said:
You just crushed me! I was typing up my Spiller post. I did not see this coming with all of NE's defensive needs.
If you take a glance at the Patriots offseason thread, the offense in the second half of games let them down much more than that young defense.

1.12 Miami selects WR Dez Bryant, Oklahoma State

We all know Tuna does not select Wrs in the first round but the phins were not able to fill the void in FA and Dez is too good a talent to pass.

They know they cannot go into another season with a bunch of number 2's and 3's at WR (Love you to death Bess but you are not a 1). Dez will give Miami the true #1 allowing Bess to fill the 2 and Ginn to go to the slot and handle kickoff returns.
I didn't make a comment when this 1st hit, but Buffaloes taking Dan Williams at 1.11 hurts. I don't believe Denver will take him and I do believe Miami will jump all over him at 1.12Bryant bounces around a lot of boards but I have seen him going as late as the early part of the 2nd round. Very few skill position guys going in round 1 this year.

This is fine for fantasy drafts but I don't believe Miami will go WR in the 1st, maybe the 2nd but they seem optimistic about the development of Brian Hartline to go with Camarillo, Bess, and whatever they bring in at WR thru FA, something I expect them to be active in. Why can't they go and trade a 2011 1st for Boldin? Just do it and be done with WR for now. It would open them up to possibilities in this year's draft.

Or maybe send a 2nd this year and a 2nd next year, that might be enough for AZ who right now are going to lose him after the season...and if they try and slap a franchise tag on Boldin all hell is going to break loose.

ETA: If Brown shows up at the combine and weighs in at 300+ pounds, then we may have something here. He's been compared to Jason Smith who was taken #2 overall by the Rams in 2009 and if Brown puts on about 15 more pounds without losing his speed, he could move up in the draft.
What about Cody? Not that OT isn't a need....but put Cody at NT....then Raji at LE and Jenkins at the other with Pickett and Harrell backing....that would certainly let the LB's roam freely.Just a thought......especially with Jolly's case coming up this offseason.

Btw, :yes: to Kirby on the Mays pick. Doubt the kid will land there but even with the issues at WR, I think the Bengals should take the superior talent. There will be guys to get that can stretch the field in round 2.-QG
Also would like to add that they are trying to build their version of Pitt/Balt, and a good impact Safety is just what they need. At least try and find your Polomalu, or Reed even though that is a tall order to fill. Loved the pick Kirby, one of the best so far honestly.

It is no big secret and widely known that the Baltimore Ravens primary need is at the wideout position, and they can only hope & pray that their dependable 1000 yard man again, Derrick Mason, does indeed stay with them for one more season while they focus their off-season efforts to significantly improve the overall talent and depth at this position via multiple paths - and especially thru the 2010 NFL Draft. And thusly, the Ravens announce their Day One First Round draft selection at 1.25 to be

1.25 - Arrelious Benn WR from Illinois

Behind Dez Bryant, the acknowledged #1 talented WR in the Draft Class of 2010 - in spite of not be able to demonstrate his talent on the field during the 2010 NCAA season due to a questionable NCCA suspension, there is a small handful of WRs slated to go at the bottom of this 1st round or in the top part of the 2nd round - and Benn is definitely right there with (and in no special order) Tate of Notre Dame, Thomas of GA Tech (who suffered a foot injury while training in Arizona for some nebulous promotional event), Williams of USC, and La Fell of LSU plus another grouping right behind in this handful of NFL wannabe successful WR stars in the NFL. Now for some background on Arrelious Benn:

Arrelious Benn is one of the many juniors leaving the collgegame to make it in the NFL. He is from Washington D.C.'s Dunbar High, so he would sort of be coming home to this area. Built like the big wide receiver the team covets, Benn stands 6'2" and weighs in at a solid 220 pounds. While he seemed to have a down season in 2009 with only 38 receptions for 490 yards and two TD's, his 2008 season is probably what is attracting the Ravens scouts, as he grabbed 67 balls for 1,055 yards and three TD catches. Almost 100% of all pro scouts are attributing this drop-off in performance to the QB and overall situation at Illinois this past season. So forget about any highlight reels from this past collegiate season, and go back to those from the 2008 collegite season to see the real talent that Benn will bring to the Baltimore Ravens franchise.

As a freshman, Benn was named Big Ten Freshman of the Year. As a sophomore he was a 4th team All-American, named as such by some media source, and the media named him 1st team All-Big Ten. We are all somewhat aware of the type of hard-nose football played in the Big 10, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

Time will certainly tell if WR Arrelious Benn is the right selection here for the Ravens, and both they and yours truly is putting his money on this talented WR from the U of Illinois.

Benn is a guy who certainly hasn't had the chance to shine at Illinois - unfortunately Juice Williams was a big part of that IMO (Illini fan.)

He was a top-5 prospect coming out of high school and it was a huge deal when Illinois landed him.

Good pick and a reasonably realistic one at that. Between Mendenhall and Benn being in the division, the Illini-fan in me would be getting grumpy :goodposting:

-QG

Users who are viewing this thread