What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NE Running Game - 2 dozen threads merged (1 Viewer)

I think Fred Taylor was just being nice in the interview. The NE backfield is too crowded for Law Firm to have any significant impact this season, unless a LOT of people ahead of him get injured.

I don't think that he is a FF starter unless the Patriots had many injuries at RB and he was the last guy standing. That said I bet he has 4-5 games this year with 14+ Fantasy points.

It's doubtful he will ever have a meaningful role in NE. He is what he is . . . a lunch pail guy that runs hard but isn't very fast and has no moves. IMO, he's a dime a dozen as far as RBs go. If lots of other Pats backs get banged up, he could step in and do ok (like he's done in the past). He looks like an NFL depth guy to round out the roster. I doubt he will make a splash.
Then who will step up in NE? Maroney is injured, Taylor is old, Faulk and Sammy Morris are almost as old as Taylor. People like to talk about how New England was RBBC last year, but the fact is that Maroney had an 800 yard season with 9 TDs. The Patriots rushed for nearly 2000 yards last season (12th in the league) and someone is going to get the bulk of those yards this year.

It's doubtful he will ever have a meaningful role in NE. He is what he is . . . a lunch pail guy that runs hard but isn't very fast and has no moves. IMO, he's a dime a dozen as far as RBs go. If lots of other Pats backs get banged up, he could step in and do ok (like he's done in the past). He looks like an NFL depth guy to round out the roster. I doubt he will make a splash.
Then who will step up in NE? Maroney is injured, Taylor is old, Faulk and Sammy Morris are almost as old as Taylor. People like to talk about how New England was RBBC last year, but the fact is that Maroney had an 800 yard season with 9 TDs. The Patriots rushed for nearly 2000 yards last season (12th in the league) and someone is going to get the bulk of those yards this year.
Until Taylor gets hurt, he's the only one with any semblance of value. Maroney only got that many yards because both Taylor and Morris were hurt for a large chunk of the season.

Until Taylor gets hurt, he's the only one with any semblance of value.
That may have been true in years past, but Taylor is 34 1/2 years old. Only 2 players in the last 25 years have rushed for 800 yards at that age (Marcus Allen and Emmitt Smith). It doesn't matter if Taylor can stay healthy because father time waits for no one.

I did not see a thread on this yet... "New England traded running back Laurence Maroney to Denver. Compensation not know yet. More details at ESPN.com."

Interesting..As a Fred Taylor owner I like this, although I fully expect Taylor to be hurt in a week or two..

Its amazing to me the large quantity of people on here that still refuse to believe that Fred Taylor is the man in NE.

If BB got anything of value for Maroney he pulled off another genious trade. This guy is a first round bust.

Just in case you didn't hate the RB carousels of Belichick, Shanahan or McDaniels enough...

I mean, seriously, could Maroney have at least been traded to a team where his role would be a little better known? It's like Maroney was traded to the same exact situation that he was already in talent wise and coach wise.

If you didn't watch the game, Taylor looked dynamite on Sunday.

Green-Ellis didn't look too bad either. He took 4 straight carries from the 19 and rumbled down to the 1 before Brady hit Gronkowski.

I know the Patriots pass most of the time, but with the Maroney situation out of the way, Green-Ellis becomes a solid backup to a 34 year old starter.

I won't get Jackson, I might be able to snag Taylor from the WW. (everyone avoided the NE RBs like the plague in our league).

So...Are the patriots confident enough in Taylor/Green-Ellis that they just traded Maroney away.

Figured I give this thread a bump.

Keep an eye on BenJarvus midseason.

Its amazing to me the large quantity of people on here that still refuse to believe that Fred Taylor is the man in NE.
I would like to believe this, I just don't think a 34 year old fresh off of ankle surgery with no real burst can get it done very long in the NFL.

I stil think BJGE is low man on the totem pole. Taylor, Morris, Faulk, BJGE. Maybe they bring back Chris Taylor if they need a body. They also have Javarris James on the practice squad (although I don't know much about him).

Last edited by a moderator:
Maroney just didn't get the job done in New England...after a pretty strong rookie year he never seemed to get out of neutral with the exception of a few good stretches.

I have felt this is a divorce that needed to happen...one thing I don't like is he's going to McDaniels. While I am not a fan of Maroney's at all I don't think he was not used properly in New England...they ran him like Corey Dillon and that's just not his strength...the kid needs open space. Is mcDaniels going to use him differently than he did in Foxboro? If not than he has no chance of being anything more than he was with the Patriots.

Adam_Schefter

For RB Laurence Maroney, New England gets Denver's fourth-round pick in 2011 and Denver gets New England's sixth-round pick in 2011.

For RB Laurence Maroney, New England gets Denver's fourth-round pick in 2011 and Denver gets New England's sixth-round pick in 2011.

Per Schefter

Adam_Schefter For RB Laurence Maroney, New England gets Denver's fourth-round pick in 2011 and Denver gets New England's sixth-round pick in 2011.
So Maroney = the trade-up value from a low to a middle round next year, roughly a 5th round pick, or lower due to it being a deferred payoff.

I stil think BJGE is low man on the totem pole. Taylor, Morris, Faulk, BJGE. Maybe they bring back Chris Taylor if they need a body. They also have Javarris Green on the practice squad (although I don't know much about him).
R U kidding. do they have a Ben Ellis also?

As a Maroney dynasty owner who has been stashing him in hopes of him finding a more productive home next year as a potential starter, this is truly disappointing.

Users who are viewing this thread