What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Civilization V announced. :nerd:^10000 (3 Viewers)

If anyone is interested in Demon's Souls for the PS3, I'd gladly trade that for a copy of this gifted to me on Steam. PM if interested!

Drifter said:
So far I don't like the City States. The only way to get them on your side seems to be to bribe them and your reputation with them degrades very quickly.
Yeah, they've definitely taken out a lot of the micro-management-y stuff (pollution, roads to resources, religion, etc.), but city-states right now have a feel of being a bit too much on that annoying side. I really like the concept of city-states and more personalities/situations to deal with diplomacy-wise, but right now it feels like trying to constantly fill a bucket with a hole in the bottom. Like I said, there are certainly a few things that will need to be tweaked, optimized, and cleaned up, but I really like the game so far. I think they have set themselves up with an awesome base which will be a lot of fun adding more layers to via expansions or mods. I really like that there are less units you have so each one is really important/startegic versus just throwing 40 units in a SOD blob and setting it out on the countryside. I went back and played Civ 4 Vanilla and I really didn't remember nor believe how much they had added on by the time they released BTS. In general, how do you like the game?
It's Civ so I like it. I think my next game will be on normal length instead of Epic. Epic took too long to produce building and units and such. I used to like the epic/marathon settings in Civ IV but here it feels too slowed down.Combat is also obviously a big change. The AI definitely has an advantage here because they always maintain such large armies (largely through script written cheating unfortunately - a Civ crutch I wish they would do away with). Flanking and ranged attacks are so effective that a large force is a must have. You can no longer get by keeping your cities well defended and raising an army quickly when you have to.

There are so many reasons I should not buy this game.

1. I need to buy a video card to play it

2. I don't have time to play it

3. Wife got me Ultimate Alliance 2 for my birthday a month ago and I haven't even had time to play it yet

Only one reason to get it.....

1. It is CIV

Damn it, I will probably stop in to buy it after work. :lmao:

What's the best (legit) deal for purchasing the physical media?

Newegg has it for $49.99 and I'll have a $10 gift card for them in a couple of days. Anyplace have it for less than $40?

Drifter said:
So far I don't like the City States. The only way to get them on your side seems to be to bribe them and your reputation with them degrades very quickly.
My biggest gripe so far is that you can't raze city-states. I'm hoping someone mods that restriction out.

Drifter said:
My biggest gripe so far is that you can't raze city-states. I'm hoping someone mods that restriction out.
You can't raze a civilization's capital city either. I can't figure out the reason for that.

Drifter said:
You can't raze a civilization's capital city either. I can't figure out the reason for that.
You need the original capitals for a domination victory, that's the only thing I can think of.

Drifter said:
You need the original capitals for a domination victory, that's the only thing I can think of.
That's not a very good reason. Why would that be needed for domination?

Have always been interested in these games, but never pulled the trigger on them. Are they kinda like Sim City meets Age of Empires?

Have always been interested in these games, but never pulled the trigger on them. Are they kinda like Sim City meets Age of Empires?
That is a decent description, but those games were both real time, Civilization is turn based.
Is there a time limit on taking your turns?
In single player no. In multiplayer you can set time limits, in Civ 5 multiplayer all moves are done at the same time by the players and those moves are only processed when everyone is "done" with their turn.

That is a decent description, but those games were both real time, Civilization is turn based.
Is there a time limit on taking your turns?
No.Addictive to say the least.
:goodposting: In Civ IV in single player games later wars would take me 15 to 30 minutes per turn! attack, check city's, adjust production, move new troops in, then watch and wait after your turn to see how much damage the other side inflicts. Rinse and repeat..

Last edited by a moderator:
So, should we give everyone until the end of the month to learn the ropes and then coordinate a PBEM game?

So, should we give everyone until the end of the month to learn the ropes and then coordinate a PBEM game?
I'm interested but I've never done any Civ multiplayer. How does pbemail work? How much time between turns etc?Also I don't know how soon I'll be getting the game - I might want to wait out some of the bugs (and figure out how to sneak it past my wife :lmao: ).

I'm interested but I've never done any Civ multiplayer. How does pbemail work? How much time between turns etc?Also I don't know how soon I'll be getting the game - I might want to wait out some of the bugs (and figure out how to sneak it past my wife :goodposting: ).
Since it work different, I'd say that you submit your turn as soon as you are able and we put some sort of reasonable max limit on it.

Just spent my first couple of hours playing. I built a new rig a few months ago, so I'm having no issues @ 1920x1080.

Gameplay definitely is an adjustment from IV, but not a huge one. Definitely it's old addictive self.

Parasailer said:
Tigerbot Hesh said:
Parasailer said:
Tigerbot Hesh said:
Drifter said:
That's not a very good reason. Why would that be needed for domination?
From the guide:How to win ---> Domination

If you are the last player in possession of your own original capital you win. So if you capture all other civs’ capitals and hang onto your own, you’ve achieved victory. However, this can be tricky. Suppose you’re in a five-player game and you capture three of your opponents’ original capitals, but the fifth player sneaks in and captures your capital while you’re not paying attention – then he would win immediately. In other words, it doesn’t matter who captures what: it’s the last player holding onto his original capital who gets the victory.

There's also a mention of you must control your original capital to win a conquest victory.

It sounds like domination is built around the capitals now instead of total land mass like it was in Civ4. Since another city automatically becomes a new capital once an old is captured, I guess they had to make the originals raze-proof so owners would have something to capture.

FWIW, I never like how another city would automatically get a Palace and just magically become a civ's new capital when the old one was sacked. In Civ2 a lot of corruption and happiness were tied into how near/far a city was from the capital, and you could really do some damage by taking an AI's capital, razing it, and then forcing them to rebuild a Palace admist huge amounts of corruption and unhappiness.

Played a bit of the demo and so far it seems to be Civ Lite. Looks pretty, but I'm not seeing the meat yet.

Seems like as more people get ahold of it more people say it plays thin.

Probably they'll release more layers in expansions, or leave it for mods.

The stuff people did with Civ4 with mods was nothing short of amazing. I'll never understand where people get that much time.

Seems like as more people get ahold of it more people say it plays thin. Probably they'll release more layers in expansions, or leave it for mods. The stuff people did with Civ4 with mods was nothing short of amazing. I'll never understand where people get that much time.
My opinion was based on the demo, so it was a pretty shallow look. My official vote at the moment is to wait for Fallout Vegas and see what Civ V looks like in a year.

Seems like as more people get ahold of it more people say it plays thin. Probably they'll release more layers in expansions, or leave it for mods. The stuff people did with Civ4 with mods was nothing short of amazing. I'll never understand where people get that much time.
Some people don't have real people they interact with. Frees up a lot of time.

Well my second civilization turned out much better than my first. I'm in the midst of crushing my enemies under my heel. I jacked down the number of city-states and that has seemed to help a lot. Instead of 12 city-states on a small map I cut it in half to six.

Played a second game last night. Reduced the world size and game time to normal and it was a little more enjoyable. I've always liked the extended huge world games but it doesn't seem to be the same in V.

Played as the Egyptians this time. Burial chambers, war chariots and quickly expanding the Liberty tree makes for some fast expansion. I've got 3 of my own cities going and just made the closest city state a puppet regime (cool feature).

Taking a city is a ##### early on. You really need lots of units to quickly take down its defenses and spread out the damage it does with the the city ranged attacks. Warfare is definitely the biggest change in the game.

Played a second game last night. Reduced the world size and game time to normal and it was a little more enjoyable. I've always liked the extended huge world games but it doesn't seem to be the same in V.Played as the Egyptians this time. Burial chambers, war chariots and quickly expanding the Liberty tree makes for some fast expansion. I've got 3 of my own cities going and just made the closest city state a puppet regime (cool feature).Taking a city is a ##### early on. You really need lots of units to quickly take down its defenses and spread out the damage it does with the the city ranged attacks. Warfare is definitely the biggest change in the game.
Siege weapons are a must.

Yeah, I could see that going from CIV 4 Beyond the Sword to CIV V. I really, really like the game and how it plays. Like I said, once they tweak a few things and smooth a few edges and like you said once the modders get ahold of it...its really going to shine. Its got a great base.

Two questions:

1) How exactly are you guys attacking cities in the ancient era?

2) If anyone gets this and doesn't want to keep it, please let me know. I'm on a strict game budget, so I'm hoping to trade for it :rolleyes:

Two questions:1) How exactly are you guys attacking cities in the ancient era?2) If anyone gets this and doesn't want to keep it, please let me know. I'm on a strict game budget, so I'm hoping to trade for it :lmao:
1.) I try to go with a layered approach. A front line of spearmen/swordmen with archers at the outside flanks, then a back row with catapults and archers for ranged attack.2.) Not a chance. :)

Beat Civ5 for the first time yesterday in a Domination Victory using Gandhi. So far so good, liking it a little more than Civ4.

Gandhi's War Elephants are quite the powerful early game ranged unit. I only needed two and some other soldier to take out a Civ or fulfill City-State requests.

Man, though, hammers can be difficult to come by! And a cultural victory looks to me to be all but impossible (so I think that's my next try!).

Played this on Warlord. After some more putzing to get used to what the Wonders do (basically to stop thinking in Civ4 terms) and working more with my economy building, I'll be stepping up to Noble and hoping it doesn't punch me in the face like it did earlier in the week.

Time to go watch some football. Cheers to all.

Wife surprised me with this Friday!

Gonna get into it whole hog this evening. Is there an 'Idiot's Guide on how to improve tiles' anywhere? ie. do you build a farm or trading post etc.

Word of warning. Watch your tech tree if you enter into s research pact. If you have some dinky tech left that the ai generally does not like, you will end up with it. Big waste of coin.

I haven't had much of a chance to play. Still on my 2nd game at prince level and doing ok at the bc ad mark. I prefer to subjugate city states as puppet regimes rather than build up my rep with them

Wife surprised me with this Friday!Gonna get into it whole hog this evening. Is there an 'Idiot's Guide on how to improve tiles' anywhere? ie. do you build a farm or trading post etc.
Early on farms are only +1 food. Later, if they are near a river they are +2. I prefer trading posts if it doesn't have wheat or is near a river since gold can be used in so many ways

Just played the demo and got pissed it cut me off after 100 turns...downloading full game now off steam. Also, this looks great with graphics maxed out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wife surprised me with this Friday!Gonna get into it whole hog this evening. Is there an 'Idiot's Guide on how to improve tiles' anywhere? ie. do you build a farm or trading post etc.
Early on farms are only +1 food. Later, if they are near a river they are +2. I prefer trading posts if it doesn't have wheat or is near a river since gold can be used in so many ways
So if no wheat or if they're not near a river, it's best to go the TP route vs farms? Noted, thanks.What about hills? Farms vs mines...what makes that decision for you? And is it best to settle a city NEAR resources, or what about if there is a resource on a hill, next to a river? Would it be best to build that city on top of the resource since you're next to the river & on a hill?

I'm going to hold out on this one until I complete my last season in Football Manager. It's a soccer simulation game and I'm on my 15th year. I'm one trophy away from being the top of the Hall fo Fame list, above Sir Alex. I'll try and eek out a Champion's League win for the title.

So if no wheat or if they're not near a river, it's best to go the TP route vs farms? Noted, thanks.What about hills? Farms vs mines...what makes that decision for you? And is it best to settle a city NEAR resources, or what about if there is a resource on a hill, next to a river? Would it be best to build that city on top of the resource since you're next to the river & on a hill?
I prefer to build farms for growth and then convert them to TP later. I generally end up with excess workers anyway.

Beat Civ5 for the first time yesterday in a Domination Victory using Gandhi. So far so good, liking it a little more than Civ4.Gandhi's War Elephants are quite the powerful early game ranged unit. I only needed two and some other soldier to take out a Civ or fulfill City-State requests.Man, though, hammers can be difficult to come by! And a cultural victory looks to me to be all but impossible (so I think that's my next try!).Played this on Warlord. After some more putzing to get used to what the Wonders do (basically to stop thinking in Civ4 terms) and working more with my economy building, I'll be stepping up to Noble and hoping it doesn't punch me in the face like it did earlier in the week.Time to go watch some football. Cheers to all.
Ghandi's perk that decreases unhappiness from population at the expense of city unhappines seems really nice now that I see how difficult population unhappines can be to handle.

I've found that social policies can really lessen a lot of the problems you face. Which you go for will depend on the type of civilization you have and your opponents or number of city/states near you.

I've found that the AI sucks at naval exploration (at least on Prince level)

Anybody have laptop use experience with this? I only have onboard graphics on this laptop, and would be interested to know of anyone else with low end laptop experience. I'd rather not buy a computer just for Civ, but I do know that's been known to happen....

Anybody have laptop use experience with this? I only have onboard graphics on this laptop, and would be interested to know of anyone else with low end laptop experience. I'd rather not buy a computer just for Civ, but I do know that's been known to happen....
My laptop is about 2 1/2 years old but I upgraded to the best on board video card they had at the time. It runs the game at low to medium specs (automatically set at install) fairly well. I think any standard on board chip is going to have a tough time.

Users who are viewing this thread