What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Civilization V announced. :nerd:^10000 (2 Viewers)

Gr00vus said:
I hope they can make the back half of the game more interesting somehow. I know I've played hundreds of games of civ V, but I think I've only ever managed to complete two or three of them. The late game is so tedious. I also hope I don't have to buy a whole new PC to play it.
:lmao:   :goodposting:

Was sick the last few days. I played Civ V for basically all of Monday and Tuesday.

Saw the announcement today which is good. I read an article on a few things that they are doing to change things up, make it truly more strategic in terms of making choices based on situations rather than a pre-set best route to win that the others tend to shape up on and the AI's being more predictable in one sense and less predictable in another. I am looking forward to it though I am sure if my wife heard about it- she would not be thrilled.

LOL, I had to buy a new pc for 3 & V. Wish I had saved my money on 3, that one was a huge disappointment after the perfection that was Civ 2. V was a step back also at release but at least enough was new it kept my interest until the expansions came out.

Yeah with CIV4 I basically had to win on domination or occasionally something more wild by 1850 or game was unplayable.  Space victories were for all intents impossible.

I got really into the CIV4 forums and they would post games that everyone would do at the same time. After about a month or two after the release I never just started a game on my own and went with it, I always had some sort of objective and competed (poorly) with the group.  Pretty sure they all cheated their ### off but I got far better playing against them than just sort of rolling with it.  

Cliff Clavin said:
My mistake. I thought it was available on a console.
I played Civrev on 360 a few years back and had a blast with it. I've never played a game on a PC so if this new one isn't on console I won't get to play. 

LOL, I had to buy a new pc for 3 & V. Wish I had saved my money on 3, that one was a huge disappointment after the perfection that was Civ 2. V was a step back also at release but at least enough was new it kept my interest until the expansions came out.
They addressed this in the article I read and said that they made a lot of effort to not have the bare basics on the new game engine but to have it already more fleshed out and not rely on expansions as much. We shall see.

I probably played hundreds and hundreds of hours of Civ 3 and 4 but I just couldn't get into 5. Played maybe one or two games before giving it up. Not sure if the game changed or my tastes did. Though I did hear that a subsequent expansion made 5 really awesome (maybe it was in this thread). 

I probably played hundreds and hundreds of hours of Civ 3 and 4 but I just couldn't get into 5. Played maybe one or two games before giving it up. Not sure if the game changed or my tastes did. Though I did hear that a subsequent expansion made 5 really awesome (maybe it was in this thread). 
Having all the expansions made it a pretty good game. I don't think that's as good as 4 was with all its expansions though.

There was a game very much like Civ but wasn't Civ that I had back in the day. There were things about it that I really liked over Civ but for the life of me can't remember what it was.

Age of Empires or Rome: Total War were the closest that I've played.
Not Total War.... that series is my all time favorite.

Might be Age of Empires. Did they have lawyers that could issue cease and desist orders on cities? That is the one thing I can remember right now that was a big difference on the two.

They addressed this in the article I read and said that they made a lot of effort to not have the bare basics on the new game engine but to have it already more fleshed out and not rely on expansions as much. We shall see.
Yeah, seemed like a pretty obvious money grab at the time that they stripped out religions and some of the other awesome stuff that was in 4. Either way, glad they are making a new one. 4X games have basically died out, were always some of my favorite types of games. I'd even take a solid RTS/4X hybrid these days, they are few and far between while every company focuses on console shooters and the like.

Was Freeciv the game you were referring to?

Not Total War.... that series is my all time favorite.

Might be Age of Empires. Did they have lawyers that could issue cease and desist orders on cities? That is the one thing I can remember right now that was a big difference on the two.
You are thinking of Call To Power and Call To Power II by Activision.   They were basically Civ games but couldn't use the Civ name because of licensing.

That is it!!!

Thank you Drifter- that has been killing me for years!
I loved the CTP games.  Other differences were that you could stack armies and they went to a battle screen.  You needed a mix of ranged and hand to hand units.   They also introduced religion long before they showed up in Civ games and had a pretty slick economics system.

I loved the CTP games.  Other differences were that you could stack armies and they went to a battle screen.  You needed a mix of ranged and hand to hand units.   They also introduced religion long before they showed up in Civ games and had a pretty slick economics system.
Yes and you could convert cities by culture if your culture was overpowering their and their city was too close. Lot's of good stuff in those.

Showing my age here but I've been playing since Civ 1... :walkingcane:

I didn't play Civ 5 non-stop until the last expansion came out... since then "just one more turn" becomes... "is that the sun coming up?" ;)
Early this morning at 3:37, I realized that I had to work in the morning and shouldn't play one more turn.

I got to bed at 4:15.  :bag:

I played the original version of Civ, waaaay back when. I used to play it for long stretches, staying up way too late.

Earlier this week I made the mistake of d/l the Civ Revolution for my iPad. Twice I've made it past 3:30 playing. It's addicting!!!

For the console guys Civ Rev is a nice bite size version of the game as you pound out a whole game in one session.  The PC ones are engrossing and are nice slow rolls that can gobble up many nights on one game   Deep dive stuff and wonderful.  Just buy a rig and do it up when 6 comes out :)

-QG

For the console guys Civ Rev is a nice bite size version of the game as you pound out a whole game in one session.  The PC ones are engrossing and are nice slow rolls that can gobble up many nights on one game   Deep dive stuff and wonderful.  Just buy a rig and do it up when 6 comes out :)

-QG
One of the problems with the Civ Rev is I can do it on my iPad in bed. I think I'd be able to force myself off the Mac at a more reasonable hour!

The boys and I are planning to get 6 when it comes out. Now I just see it for PC, I assume it's going to get published for Mac to, right?

One of the problems with the Civ Rev is I can do it on my iPad in bed. I think I'd be able to force myself off the Mac at a more reasonable hour!

The boys and I are planning to get 6 when it comes out. Now I just see it for PC, I assume it's going to get published for Mac to, right?
I think at times it can take some time for them to release a mac version.  Not sure if that's still the case with more recent firaxis games.  I think Civ4 took the better part of a year to get a mac version out.

I played the original version of Civ, waaaay back when. I used to play it for long stretches, staying up way too late.

Earlier this week I made the mistake of d/l the Civ Revolution for my iPad. Twice I've made it past 3:30 playing. It's addicting!!!
When I was single various versions of Civ and other similar games kept me up until the sun came up on more than one occasion. I would get so locked in to it that I had no idea how much time went by until the sun came up and was like 'uh.... maybe I should stop now?' Now, other than when I was sick last week- it usually is an hour or so I can pick up a saved game but so many times it is 'ok, just one more turn....' which quickly turns into 'ok, one more turn' and then 'seriously, just one more turn.'.......

Users who are viewing this thread