What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Civilization V announced. :nerd:^10000 (2 Viewers)

Any updates as to the Gods and Kings?

The app store charges $70 to have the whole package.

Not sure if the other in-app purchases would be worth it. That is hitting $100.

Last edited by a moderator:
Question: I'm a fairly dedicated Civ IV player. Never upgraded to V. Is it really worth it?
Never played IV but was heavily addicted to V. Awesome game.
A lot of diehards love IV to death and hated V and kept playing IV. Others learned to like V, especially after the Gods and Kings expansion. If you can find a trial, give it a shot before committing.Personally, there's a lot I like about both. :shrug:

Question: I'm a fairly dedicated Civ IV player. Never upgraded to V. Is it really worth it?
A lot of diehards love IV to death and hated V and kept playing IV. Others learned to like V, especially after the Gods and Kings expansion. If you can find a trial, give it a shot before committing.Personally, there's a lot I like about both. :shrug:
I really like IV a lot. Never made the move to V. Maybe I'll check it out again.

I really like IV a lot. Never made the move to V. Maybe I'll check it out again.
I tried V for a few months, just didn't grab me, didn't last long enough to be interested in getting any of the expansions. I still play IV+Beyond The Sword all the time. It may be the best game ever made to date IMO.

I tried V for a few months, just didn't grab me, didn't last long enough to be interested in getting any of the expansions. I still play IV+Beyond The Sword all the time. It may be the best game ever made to date IMO.
Yeah I have both the expansions and love to crank up a game. My wife makes fun of me for it. She says "you have all these cool games for the Xbox and here you are still playing that old thing". Unless you have had one more turn-itis you just don't understand I guess. Anyway for me IV is really a near perfect game and I don't feel like there is much to add to it.

Anyone won on level 8 yet? Wondering how hard it is. I'm just about to try it for the first time. Finally beat level 7 yesterday.

Anyone won on level 8 yet? Wondering how hard it is. I'm just about to try it for the first time. Finally beat level 7 yesterday.
Its a decent step up, but as always conquering is the easiest path to victory for my money. Though there are also strats out to win OCC science victory. Some of the bonuses the AI gets are pretty excessive, but at its core its still pretty predictable.

:goodposting: Although when I installed V I had uninstalled IV.. The other day I was going through storage and I found I still have the CD's for IV and "beyond the sword" so am planning on re-installing them this weekend. :thumbup:

Its a decent step up, but as always conquering is the easiest path to victory for my money. Though there are also strats out to win OCC science victory. Some of the bonuses the AI gets are pretty excessive, but at its core its still pretty predictable.
Yeah, the only fun part for me is the conquering. I uncheck all the boxes except "win by domination". I thought going from level 6 to 7 was a huge step up, as 7 was the first time I noticed the AI getting bonuses. The worst part of the game for me so far is in 7 when the AI gets 20+ aircraft and you have to wait 5-10 minutes for them all to attack. I imagine it only gets worse in 8.

CIV V is a downgrade from CIV IV
this
The biggest thing I hate about Civ V is the stupid "you're a warmongering menace to the world" penalty you get when you raise arms against someone, for ANY reason. You try to stop a fast-expanding and oppressive Mongolia or Ottomans? Warmongering menace. Another civilization attack a city-state you have good relations with and you retaliate? Warmongering menace. And the penalty stays with you for a long, long time. I don't think anyone hates Italy (then the Romans) anymore over the whole Carthage thing, but if this happened in the game, they'd still be "warmongering menaces" today. So silly.

Yeah, the only fun part for me is the conquering. I uncheck all the boxes except "win by domination". I thought going from level 6 to 7 was a huge step up, as 7 was the first time I noticed the AI getting bonuses. The worst part of the game for me so far is in 7 when the AI gets 20+ aircraft and you have to wait 5-10 minutes for them all to attack. I imagine it only gets worse in 8.
Options -> Quick Combat. Shortens the game by hours.

Cool. I'll give it a try.

Should note, you have to do that before you start a new game.

:wall: No wonder I didn't see any effect. Thanks!

:wall: No wonder I didn't see any effect. Thanks!
:lol:It is a piss off because you have to set it before each game. Sucks when you're a few dozen turns into a game before you realize it isn't on. Although I just fired up Gods and Kings for the first time last night and noticed it in the main options page. Not sure if that will always apply or not.

i havnt played since civ 1im tempted to try the new ones outi do have civ revolution for ipad, havnt really gotten into it though i heard it wasnt that great

Made the step up from Civ4 last week. WTF. I'm about to net my 4th straight night of playing past midnight. I forgot how great this game is.

Since I'm about to easilty defeat level 2, I'm wondering what level to try next? Is there a sweet spot where it's challenging, but not God Mode for the cpu?

Made the step up from Civ4 last week. WTF. I'm about to net my 4th straight night of playing past midnight. I forgot how great this game is.

Since I'm about to easilty defeat level 2, I'm wondering what level to try next? Is there a sweet spot where it's challenging, but not God Mode for the cpu?
I can beat every level except Diety. Do the one two steps down from Diety, I can't recall which one it is.

Really fun game.

I usually run it on Emperor. If you can survive the initial onslaught, it stays pretty competitive.

I can beat every level except Diety. Do the one two steps down from Diety, I can't recall which one it is.

Really fun game.
You can beat it on Diety. Try playing with fewer countries first. I've beat it with 2, 4, and 6 countries, but not 8 yet. 2 is easy -- the country you play against will let you catch up technology wise as long as you don't piss it off.

Oh yeah, I also set it to win only by domination and 0 nation states. And no barbarians.

Start at Prince and see how you feel about it and whether you want to go to King. If you are playing for the first time in a while, Emperor will be pretty diffficult.

I also typically run Huge world, Epic games with domination as the only victory path. Some of the other paths are too damn easy to attain.

Nation states is an interesting concept so I suggest using them when you are first playing the game but they are far too easy to exploit.

Start at Prince and see how you feel about it and whether you want to go to King. If you are playing for the first time in a while, Emperor will be pretty diffficult.

I also typically run Huge world, Epic games with domination as the only victory path. Some of the other paths are too damn easy to attain.
These games are fun for a while, but after you've taken over a couple other Civs, it is pretty much a lock that you're going to win (I find anyway). Then you have to spend hours and hours finishing it (while victory is inevitable) or quit.

I haven't had a chance to play yet, but the reaction to BNW seems very positive.
Each of the new Civilizations seems to have some really good benefits to them. For instance, I've been playing as the Shoshone, who have the ability to claim a TON of land when new cities are settled as well as give combat bonuses when troops fight in their own territory. They also have upgraded versions of Scouts, which is good for the beginning.

I fired up a game last night and it is all bugged up. I haven't played in a year or so but it was fine then. For example I click on a unit and it still shows the computer suggested unit to move, but I can still sometimes move it. Pretty much unplayable. I cleared my cache hoping freeing up some memory would help but nothing. Any thoughts on how to fix?

I haven't played this in a couple years but I bought Gods and Kings on sale for $7 on steam. Ill have to fire up a new game here pretty soon.

I fired up a game last night and it is all bugged up. I haven't played in a year or so but it was fine then. For example I click on a unit and it still shows the computer suggested unit to move, but I can still sometimes move it. Pretty much unplayable. I cleared my cache hoping freeing up some memory would help but nothing. Any thoughts on how to fix?
I ended up uninstalling it completely, and then doing a Regclean.

And actually had it uninstalled until Steam ran their Flash sale and I got the Gold version, with God & Kings for $10.

Also updated my video drivers and now it runs "smooth as silk" :thumbup:

And actually had it uninstalled until Steam ran their Flash sale and I got the Gold version, with God & Kings for $10.

I did this but it didn't help. If I uninstall will I lose all my saves?

Search your system for .Civ5Save files.. Copy them out of the saved directory before you uninstall and you can copy them back in after a re-install. :)

Search your system for .Civ5Save files.. Copy them out of the saved directory before you uninstall and you can copy them back in after a re-install. :)
Thanks GB!

Thanks GB!
Did this help? I haven't tried it again after my last experience of never ending crashes. I figured it was a patch that needed to be released, and then forgot about it.

Thanks GB!
Did this help? I haven't tried it again after my last experience of never ending crashes. I figured it was a patch that needed to be released, and then forgot about it.
There used to be patches but my understanding is that now it is on Steam, they fix stuff as they go along. I did see some updated when i initially loaded it. Maybe I'll restart the magicbox and see if that works.

Been playing more of this lately.

Won a cultural and science victory (different games) with Nebuchadnezzar on Large and Huge maps. It's pretty simple to bee-line science techs while scooping up other important techs along the way. I don't think either had another civ within 25 techs of me when I won.

I have a really good game going with Poland right now as well. Another civ that can crush all others very easily with a little bit of planning and execution. Gotta imagine Poland is one of the strongest civs.

Users who are viewing this thread