What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Civilization V announced. :nerd:^10000 (2 Viewers)

I loved Civ IV, particularly with BTS.

Civ V doesn't come close to that IMO, and wasn't worth the money. It can be downright boring and tedious enough of the time to make me think it isn't a very good game.

Well I finally got enough money together for a laptop that could play this thing, and I haven't even bothered to get it yet. The buzz on this game is non-existent. What are people's opinions now?
In general I would say that the Civ community is very negative about this version. It is still a work in progress as Firaxis continues to release major patches, but right now I can't recommend it.

Well I finally got enough money together for a laptop that could play this thing, and I haven't even bothered to get it yet. The buzz on this game is non-existent. What are people's opinions now?
In general I would say that the Civ community is very negative about this version. It is still a work in progress as Firaxis continues to release major patches, but right now I can't recommend it.
I've tried to enjoy it, but I tend to agree with the Civ community. It might be a great game on its own, without the pedigree and all the expectations that come with it, but they took out a lot of what made the game unique and replaced it with a lot of eye candy and tedium.It's the Julian Lennon of video games. There, I said it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've tried to enjoy it, but I tend to agree with the Civ community. It might be a great game on its own, without the pedigree and all the expectations that come with it, but they took out a lot of what made the game unique and replaced it with a lot of eye candy and tedium.It's the Julian Lennon of video games. There, I said it.
I disagree that it is a downgrade on Civ 4; it's just not an "upgrade." For those (like me) that burned out on Civ 4 after playing it a ton, I was expecting upgrades and new experiences that would make this feel like a different, better game, and it just isn't there. Way too much been there, done that. I played 4-5 complete games when I first got it and haven't picked it up since.

I uninstalled Civ IV the minute I installed Civ V. Spent way to many years playing IV and nothing else that I was burnt out.

Still enjoying V :football:

As it sits right now, its not very close to the game CIV IV Beyond the Sword was. I enjoy picking it up and playing it every once in a while, but it doesn't snag me quite the way CIV IV did.

But! And a big BUT...I still feel strongly that, given some time patching and expanding, its going to get there. There's a lot about it that I do think is an improvement on CIV IV. Its definitely rough around the edges still. One other really big thing though. I've been meaning to take a look at 2 mods that are out there that supposedly really make this game a real keeper. One is Thal's Balance mod :Nerd Link which a lot of people are raving about and the other is Valkrionn's Economy mod: Nerd Link ...this one is a bit more of a work in progress, but have heard good things.

:nerd:

I disagree that it is a downgrade on Civ 4; it's just not an "upgrade." For those (like me) that burned out on Civ 4 after playing it a ton, I was expecting upgrades and new experiences that would make this feel like a different, better game, and it just isn't there. Way too much been there, done that. I played 4-5 complete games when I first got it and haven't picked it up since.
This is exactly what I was trying to say, I just wanted to be clever with my Julian Lennon one hit wonder reference. It's not bad at all. In fact, I played it for 3 weeks straight after I got it. For some reason it doesn't seem to have the same "hook" that Civ IV did. I haven't played it in months, and despite reading this thread, I really have no desire to go back in try.

I like CIV 5 and play it often. I think its really improved after the patches and the DLC civs have been fun to play. Definitely a YMMV though...

I haven't fired it up in months. Was thinking about giving it another go soon.
Big patch came out a few weeks ago beefing up the AI.I have a good game going right now - Huge world, marathon speed on King level. (or Prince, can't remember).I'm the dominant force on my continent after a century long war with the Mongols (they started). However, the damn Persians are a beast. I'm beefing up my nuclear arsenal to knock them down a peg or two should it look like they are getting too close to winning.

Price drop on this game. I never bothered to even download it. I play 4 every once in awhile, but 5 never really had any appeal. Seems they totally missed on this version. Maybe next time.http://slickdeals.net/?sdtid=3158958&sdop=1&sdfid=9&u2=http://www.greenmangaming.com/games/strategy/sid-meiers-civilization-v/?gmgr=bikiteve
5 has some nice improvements but is a little too simple in some respects.

Price drop on this game. I never bothered to even download it. I play 4 every once in awhile, but 5 never really had any appeal. Seems they totally missed on this version. Maybe next time.http://slickdeals.net/?sdtid=3158958&sdop=1&sdfid=9&u2=http://www.greenmangaming.com/games/strategy/sid-meiers-civilization-v/?gmgr=bikiteve
$12.50 on Steam through 10:00 p.m. on 9/12.

2K Games, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc, today announced that Sid Meier's Civilization V, the newest entry from the genre-defining strategy-based franchise, is currently in development at Firaxis Games for PC. Civilization V reinvigorates the classic turn-based strategy genre with an astonishing new engine built from the ground-up for this flagship edition of the Civilization franchise. Players are introduced to an entirely new combat system, deeper diplomatic interactions and a cavalcade of expanded features that deliver a fully immersive experience providing hours of entertainment as players build and defend their empire on their quest to become the greatest ruler the world has ever known.

Civilization V takes this definitive strategy game series in new directions with the introduction of hexagon tiles allowing for deeper strategy, more realistic gameplay and stunning organic landscapes for players to explore as they expand their empire. The brand new engine orchestrates a spectacular visual experience that brings players closer to the Civ experience than ever, featuring fully animated leaders interacting with players from a screen-filling diplomatic scene and speaking in their native language for the first time. Wars between empires feel massive as armies dominate the landscape, and combat is more exciting and intense than ever before. The addition of ranged bombardment allows players to fire weapons from behind the front lines, challenging players to develop clever new strategies to guarantee victory on the battlefield. In addition to the new gameplay features debuting in Civilization V, an extensive suite of community, modding and multiplayer elements will also make an appearance.

"Sid Meier's Civilization franchise has been recognized as one of the greatest PC game franchises of all time with millions of units sold worldwide," said Christoph Hartmann, president of 2K. "Civilization V takes the franchise further by offering players a more immersive experience with deeper strategies; heightened tactical combat; vast, realistic landscapes to explore, battle over and claim as their own; and an in-game community hub where Civ fans can share content and compete against each other without leaving the game. This marks a new era that will forever change the franchise responsible for sleep deprivation and reduced productivity for nearly two decades."

"Each new version of Civilization presents exciting challenges for our team," said Sid Meier, director of creative development at Firaxis Games. "Thankfully, ideas on how to bring new and fun experiences to Civ players never seem to stop flowing. From fully animated leaders and realistic landscapes, new combat tactics, expanded diplomacy and shared mods, we're excited for players to see the new vision our team at Firaxis has brought to the series."

In addition to Civilization V, Firaxis Games is also currently developing Sid Meier's Civilization Network, a Civ game for Facebook. With Sid Meier leading design, Civilization Network will offer yet another option for world domination to both the casual gamer and the biggest fans of the series. It's another way to access the famously addictive world of Civilization.

Civ5 Website
i didnt read the 45 pages, but will this be on 360??

Civilization V Expansion pack announced! Called Gods and Kings and due out in Spring. Here is a link to the official announcment: My link

Here's some additional details of what all is in it: My link

Civilization V Expansion pack announced! Called Gods and Kings and due out in Spring. Here is a link to the official announcment: My link

Civ 5 was so bad it killed my will to play 4 anymore. :cry:
Wow, that's rough. Yeah, 4 definitely grabbed me a lot more than 5 did, but I've been having fun with it lately and this expansion looks pretty cool...religion, espionage, scads of new goodies. Sounds promising. :nerd:

Wow, that's rough. Yeah, 4 definitely grabbed me a lot more than 5 did, but I've been having fun with it lately and this expansion looks pretty cool...religion, espionage, scads of new goodies. Sounds promising. :nerd:
Not sure how introducing concepts that were already introduced in 4 is "new". They should be giving it away and saying, "Sorry we dumbed the game down so much"

I loved Civ IV, particularly with BTS. Civ V doesn't come close to that IMO, and wasn't worth the money. It can be downright boring and tedious enough of the time to make me think it isn't a very good game.
:goodposting:I still play CIV 4 from time to time.

I loved Civ IV, particularly with BTS. Civ V doesn't come close to that IMO, and wasn't worth the money. It can be downright boring and tedious enough of the time to make me think it isn't a very good game.
:goodposting:I still play CIV 4 from time to time.
Only one I owned was Civ III. Bought it when it came out. Finally decided to give it a try about 6 months ago. :P Enjoyed it for awhile, and it was a nice diversion that would run on my laptop. But the game admittedly just starter seeming tedious to me after awhile. Guess I'm just not patient enough. I'm now part of the console generation.

$12.50 on Steam through 10:00 p.m. on 9/12.
$7.49 at Impulse Driven...http://www.impulsedriven.com/civ5?... but after I read all the harsh criticism I'm thinking it still may not be a good value. At steam it's rated very high by the "critics". Did they completely miss the boat on this? Seems like Civ3 also got some criticism while both Civ2 and Civ4 are universally loved. Maybe a star-trek phenomenon where you only spend $ on the odd number releases?

Not sure how introducing concepts that were already introduced in 4 is "new".
:goodposting:

Sorry to say.. I have removed this from my system.. :kicksrock:

No matter how nice the graphics were I could never enjoy a game as much as I enjoyed playing Civ IV over and over and over again.. Guess it is time to reinstall that one.

BTW.. To go "old School" you'd have a hard time beating this one:

:shock:

Man plays the same game of ‘Civilization II’ for 10 years

Think you spend too much time playing the same video game?

Try playing it for a decade.

In an impressive display of dedication, Reddit user 'Lycerius' claims he has been playing a single game of Sid Meier's classic world-ruling strategy game Civilization II for nearly 10 years now. But sadly, the future world he's dealing with is "a hellish nightmare of suffering and devastation."

The year is 3991 A.D. Multiple nuclear wars have decimated the planet, melting ice caps and leaving the world useless for farming. The only land left for the three remaining superpowers to lord over are mountain tops.

Those superpowers — the Celts, Vikings and Americans — have been waging war for 1,700 in-game years. And it doesn't look to be ending anytime soon.

"Peace seems to be impossible," writes Lycerius. "Every time a cease fire is signed, the Vikings will surprise attack me [he plays as the Celts] or the Americans the very next turn, often with nuclear weapons - even when the U.N forces a peace treaty. So I can only assume that peace will come only when they're wiped out. It is this that perpetuates the war ad infinitum."

Roughly 90 percent of the world's population is dead in the game, due to famine and nuclear fallout. It's not a pretty picture, though it is a totally fascinating one. But it gives rise to one big question: Who the heck would play a single game for nearly 10 years?

"I thought that it might be interesting to see just how far into the future I could get and see what the ramifications would be," he said.

Lycerius doesn't play every single day, instead using the game as a sort of go-to time-killer when he's got nothing else on his plate. He says that he wants to rebuild his game world, but he "isn't sure how."

"My goal for the next few years is to try and end the war and thus use the engineers to clear swamps and fallout so that farming may resume. I want to rebuild the world. But I'm not sure how. If any of you old Civ II players have any advice, I'm listening."

The Reddit community has swarmed to action, offering hundreds of suggestions on ways to not only end the war, but to bring the planet back to its former glory. It's been such a viral hit, the term 'Civ 2' even made an appearance as a top trending topic on Twitter.

Lycerius says he's appreciative of the feedback, but suspects it will take many months, at best, to revive the earth, even after the war is won.

I'm looking forward to the expansion....looks like a deep one.

No matter how nice the graphics were I could never enjoy a game as much as I enjoyed playing Civ IV over and over and over again.. Guess it is time to reinstall that one.

In an impressive display of dedication, Reddit user 'Lycerius' claims he has been playing a single game of Sid Meier's classic world-ruling strategy game Civilization II for nearly 10 years now. But sadly, the future world he's dealing with is "a hellish nightmare of suffering and devastation."

The year is 3991 A.D. Multiple nuclear wars have decimated the planet, melting ice caps and leaving the world useless for farming. The only land left for the three remaining superpowers to lord over are mountain tops.

Those superpowers — the Celts, Vikings and Americans — have been waging war for 1,700 in-game years. And it doesn't look to be ending anytime soon.

"Peace seems to be impossible," writes Lycerius. "Every time a cease fire is signed, the Vikings will surprise attack me [he plays as the Celts] or the Americans the very next turn, often with nuclear weapons - even when the U.N forces a peace treaty. So I can only assume that peace will come only when they're wiped out. It is this that perpetuates the war ad infinitum."

Roughly 90 percent of the world's population is dead in the game, due to famine and nuclear fallout. It's not a pretty picture, though it is a totally fascinating one. But it gives rise to one big question: Who the heck would play a single game for nearly 10 years?

"I thought that it might be interesting to see just how far into the future I could get and see what the ramifications would be," he said.

Lycerius doesn't play every single day, instead using the game as a sort of go-to time-killer when he's got nothing else on his plate. He says that he wants to rebuild his game world, but he "isn't sure how."

"My goal for the next few years is to try and end the war and thus use the engineers to clear swamps and fallout so that farming may resume. I want to rebuild the world. But I'm not sure how. If any of you old Civ II players have any advice, I'm listening."

The Reddit community has swarmed to action, offering hundreds of suggestions on ways to not only end the war, but to bring the planet back to its former glory. It's been such a viral hit, the term 'Civ 2' even made an appearance as a top trending topic on Twitter.

Lycerius says he's appreciative of the feedback, but suspects it will take many months, at best, to revive the earth, even after the war is won.

I recently picked up Civ V after not being all that enamored with it and I enjoy the hell out of it. Maybe it was disconnecting my memories of Civ IV that make it so fun. But it's still a great way to completely obliterate an afternoon/evening/day.

I've settled on Egypt as my go-to civilization to play as. I liked Greece's influence with city-states, but I usually fill up the Patronage tree anyway, so that becomes moot. I liked Germany's ability to convert barbarians to your cause, but unit maintenance can be the suck later on, especially if you're not trying to be militaristic, which you pretty much have to be if you're Germany. Egypt's wonder-making abilities are the #### for the culture and free stuff that comes with them.

'snogger said:

Was just gonna post this :) I think I have to reinstall some Civ IV now :)

-QG

I'll preface this by saying that Civ 5 is the only Civ game I've played... but I love it. I've barely touched another game since. What is so bad about it?

I'll preface this by saying that Civ 5 is the only Civ game I've played... but I love it. I've barely touched another game since. What is so bad about it?
2 biggest issues - it lacks the depth of Civ IV and the AI has been terrible for most of the time the game has been out. I know the AI has seen some improvements through patches, but it still isn't very good. A lot of people also hate the 1 unit per tile restriction. I actually like that for military units, I just wish they didn't apply it to civilian units.

Of course when most of us talk about how great IV was we're really talking about IV + two expansion packs + a mature library of mods.
I've never used mods in IV. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I just like CivIV + Beyond The Sword enough already. I still play it when I get the chance. I've really got to find a new game. Anyone try Skyrim? I know it's not the same genre, but it the commercials make it look pretty good.

Of course when most of us talk about how great IV was we're really talking about IV + two expansion packs + a mature library of mods.
I've never used mods in IV. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I just like CivIV + Beyond The Sword enough already. I still play it when I get the chance. I've really got to find a new game. Anyone try Skyrim? I know it's not the same genre, but it the commercials make it look pretty good.
Have you tried the Total War games? Strategy based like Civ. Easily my favorite(s) behind Civ5.

Have you tried the Total War games? Strategy based like Civ. Easily my favorite(s) behind Civ5.
I did the first Shogun way back when, Rome, I have Medieval II but haven't tried it yet. I like them, but it seems like it's basically the same game over and over again with updated graphics and I completely skip the tactical part of those games (I'd rather just play a straight RTS in that case). I did see Shogun II in the store the other day and was tempted to pick it up. I think I'm ready for a fantasy based RPG (not online, I can't take the griefers) as a change of pace after however many years of CivIV devotion/obsession (which supplanted my EQ obsession). In truth now that I'm a husband/dad I've got basically no time for any of it anymore, but I like to pretend.

Civ IV BtS may be the most replayable game ever when mods are taken into account.

If I wanted to play every Civ in Rhyes and Fall it would take me at least a year.

I did the first Shogun way back when, Rome, I have Medieval II but haven't tried it yet. I like them, but it seems like it's basically the same game over and over again with updated graphics and I completely skip the tactical part of those games (I'd rather just play a straight RTS in that case). I did see Shogun II in the store the other day and was tempted to pick it up. I think I'm ready for a fantasy based RPG (not online, I can't take the griefers) as a change of pace after however many years of CivIV devotion/obsession (which supplanted my EQ obsession). In truth now that I'm a husband/dad I've got basically no time for any of it anymore, but I like to pretend.
I am a big fan of Total War. I have been playing Empire for a while. The one thing about Empire over Rome is that Rome became very easy to beat even on the hardest settings. Empire is freaking hard on slightly harder than average settings.

I am a big fan of Total War. I have been playing Empire for a while. The one thing about Empire over Rome is that Rome became very easy to beat even on the hardest settings. Empire is freaking hard on slightly harder than average settings.
Man, I didn't realize they'd had 3 releases since Medieval II. Anyone play Shogun 2? I'd probably jump to that one if it's good. I don't know that the time frame of Empire or Napoleon grabs me.

Anyone play Sins Of A Solar Empire? I've been intrigued by that one, but just haven't gotten around to picking it up. They just released a (2nd, 3rd?) expansion for it, so it's not totally passe I guess.

I don't think the engine works well for gunpowder combat. I put a ton of time in with Rome and medieval 2 but could not get through the tutorial campaign for empire.

Anyone play Sins Of A Solar Empire? I've been intrigued by that one, but just haven't gotten around to picking it up. They just released a (2nd, 3rd?) expansion for it, so it's not totally passe I guess.
Played the demo and realized the learning curve is a lot steeper than I was willing to deal with (though perhaps less so than Civ would be to a player new to the franchise). It received fantastic reviews though.

I haven't played in well over a year. Somebody please let this fall far off of page one so I quit getting reminded of this.

TIA

Users who are viewing this thread