What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2011 Grilling and BBQ thread*** (1 Viewer)

Quick question. Picked up pork ribs at Costco to grill tonight. We only need one of the two slabs in the pack. For the second slab, is it better to freeze them uncooked for later or to cook them and freeze them for later. I am guessing the best answer is cook and eat both right away, but want to save 1/2 for later. I'll be cooking them over mesquite charcoal on an ancient Weber grill using a home made dry rub (so they wont be all gunked up with sauce).
Freeze them uncooked--I do it all the time, buying in bulk. Make sure they're wrapped airtight. I don't prefer mesquite for pork myself, but many seem to.
:thanks:

Nothing fancy over here. I was browsing one of my cook books and found a simple chx marinade. Actually it is for chx kabobs but I prefer thighs, so I will marinate them for several hours.

I always like marinades, they provide moisture, flavor and it's easy.

Marinade:

1 large coarsley chopped onion

1/2 cup lemon juice

2 tablespoons dried oregano

2 teaspoons sweet paprika-----I just realized I misread the ingredients and I used 2 tablespoons. Oh well, too late now.

2 teaspoons minced garlic-----same mistake. I accidentally used tablespoons.

1 cup extra-virgin olive oil.

Got a couple of cornish hens brining for some beer can grilling later. Smoked some ribs yesterday. I love this f'n weather!

Fried a wild turkey yesterday.

Today it's baby backs on my new Weber kettle (I'm embarrassed to admit it's the first I've owned) for dinner. Brats for lunch/mid-smoke snack. Damn, I love this thing. The backyard charcoal grill is a rare thing that was perfected when it was first invented.

Yesterday I wanted to do something with a bunch of big Bell Peppers I needed to pick so I googled smoked stuffed bell peppers. I got plenty of ideas from those links but decided to do my own thing as long as I stuck to the basic ideas. It seems a bell roasts best on indirect heat over 325 for about 45 minutes to an hour. These came out really good so here's what I did.

I split 6 bells in half like these here. But I didn't follow that recipe. In olive oil I sauteed an onion and three cloves of garlic. With the back of a spoon I spread a tablespoon of cream cheese in the bottom of each half (thinking about cream cheese stuffed poppers). I put the sauteed onion garlic mix over the cream cheese. Each half then got two very sweet cherry tomatoes also halved (cut sides up), pressed into the garlic/onion/cream cheese. I topped the tomatoes with sliced pepperoni and the pepperoni with a mozzarella, romano blend. I roasted them until the peppers were soft and the cheese melted and browning. B i g h i t.

Felt good to get the smoker back into commission after dealing with a flooded basement/remodeling since late February. Son's graduation party today. Got 4 pork butts at about 189 degrees right now. Will foil/towel/load into coolers at about noon, and will shred at the party site (Shellabarger Park in Riverside for any Dayton peeps that want to come out.....that means you BigJohn.) WSM Chugged right along since 10PM last night. Temp was at @250 when I went to bed at 1AM and was at @220 when I woke up at 7.
:kicksrock: Sorry, PJ. I was in Erie, Pa for BIL's college graduation.

Felt good to get the smoker back into commission after dealing with a flooded basement/remodeling since late February. Son's graduation party today. Got 4 pork butts at about 189 degrees right now. Will foil/towel/load into coolers at about noon, and will shred at the party site (Shellabarger Park in Riverside for any Dayton peeps that want to come out.....that means you BigJohn.) WSM Chugged right along since 10PM last night. Temp was at @250 when I went to bed at 1AM and was at @220 when I woke up at 7.
:kicksrock: Sorry, PJ. I was in Erie, Pa for BIL's college graduation.
No problem....we got all summer.

Yesterday I wanted to do something with a bunch of big Bell Peppers I needed to pick so I googled smoked stuffed bell peppers. I got plenty of ideas from those links but decided to do my own thing as long as I stuck to the basic ideas. It seems a bell roasts best on indirect heat over 325 for about 45 minutes to an hour. These came out really good so here's what I did.

I split 6 bells in half like these here. But I didn't follow that recipe. In olive oil I sauteed an onion and three cloves of garlic. With the back of a spoon I spread a tablespoon of cream cheese in the bottom of each half (thinking about cream cheese stuffed poppers). I put the sauteed onion garlic mix over the cream cheese. Each half then got two very sweet cherry tomatoes also halved (cut sides up), pressed into the garlic/onion/cream cheese. I topped the tomatoes with sliced pepperoni and the pepperoni with a mozzarella, romano blend. I roasted them until the peppers were soft and the cheese melted and browning. B i g h i t.
Sounds good. I may have to give this a try.

Not sure there is much difference between fat cap on and fat cap off. It was nice and juicy today...very pleased. Made some homemade vinegar sauce...great!

Tasted like smokey pizza. I used them as a side, but they'd work as appetizers or possibly a main course. They took up a bit of space so I rotated them every 15 minutes to cook them evenly and used a strip of tin foil as a heat shield for those closest to the coals.

I'm getting the hang of my new Traeger, and was on fire this weekend. Yesterday was 3 racks of spare ribs (dry rub of garlic powder, cumin, red chili powder, brown sugar and just a little Lawry's). Came out awesome, just a light glaze of BBQ sauce at the end. Also did 3 half chickens. Big fan of the organic chickens they have at the Whole Foods down the street, and used their Garlic Herb rub (Tequila Lime is also very good). Baked potatoes, slaw, etc.

Today it was 2 whole 4 pound tri tips and hot links. Fresh corn on the cob in the husks with tequila/lime/cilantro butter and some more slaw. The tri-tip comes out like prime rib in the smoker. Flawless.

Have had to learn that these smokers aren't set it and forget it. I have to monitor the stuff. I overcooked the previous 2 meals and was not happy. Now getting it down to a science. Flavor is phenomenal.

Not sure there is much difference between fat cap on and fat cap off. It was nice and juicy today...very pleased. Made some homemade vinegar sauce...great!
Yeah, I don't think there's much difference. I'd probably trim it off every time if I didn't get lazy. Fat cap off does mean more bark and smoke comes in contact with more meat and less trimming after.

Fried a wild turkey yesterday.Today it's baby backs on my new Weber kettle (I'm embarrassed to admit it's the first I've owned) for dinner. Brats for lunch/mid-smoke snack. Damn, I love this thing. The backyard charcoal grill is a rare thing that was perfected when it was first invented.
Apparently, I've to some work to do when smoking on a kettle. By far the most terrible ribs I've ever made. Pretty much burnt'em. I generally do my smoking on ECBs, which could never, in a million years, get hot enough to burn anything. Must learn to respect the kettle.

I'm getting the hang of my new Traeger, and was on fire this weekend. Yesterday was 3 racks of spare ribs (dry rub of garlic powder, cumin, red chili powder, brown sugar and just a little Lawry's). Came out awesome, just a light glaze of BBQ sauce at the end. Also did 3 half chickens. Big fan of the organic chickens they have at the Whole Foods down the street, and used their Garlic Herb rub (Tequila Lime is also very good). Baked potatoes, slaw, etc.

Today it was 2 whole 4 pound tri tips and hot links. Fresh corn on the cob in the husks with tequila/lime/cilantro butter and some more slaw. The tri-tip comes out like prime rib in the smoker. Flawless.

Have had to learn that these smokers aren't set it and forget it. I have to monitor the stuff. I overcooked the previous 2 meals and was not happy. Now getting it down to a science. Flavor is phenomenal.
I've never smoked any sausage, but I want to. What type of sausages do you use?

Yeah, I don't think there's much difference. I'd probably trim it off every time if I didn't get lazy. Fat cap off does mean more bark and smoke comes in contact with more meat and less trimming after.
And the folks I cook for don't care about the bark all that much :crazy: It came off in one fell swoop though. Peeled right off the top. If I trim before hand I always feel like I can't stop cutting. This was much easier. Gonna try a few more times this way. See how it goes.

And the folks I cook for don't care about the bark all that much :crazy: It came off in one fell swoop though. Peeled right off the top. If I trim before hand I always feel like I can't stop cutting. This was much easier. Gonna try a few more times this way. See how it goes.
Crazy as it is, I guess it does makes sense, assuming you were cooking for some western NC folks. Barks just not a big part of alot of western NC BBQ. You rarely see it. Which is one of the reasons, in my hometown (Hickory), one of the major "BBQ" joints gets away with not even smoking it.Western NC BBQ kind of sucks, in general, I think. Always drowned in bad sauce. No bark. Usually chopped into mush with a cheap bun that's also mushy by the time you eat the sammie.

The only good thing that stands out with WNC BBQ, imo, is the red BBQ slaw.

Crazy as it is, I guess it does makes sense, assuming you were cooking for some western NC folks. Barks just not a big part of alot of western NC BBQ. You rarely see it. Which is one of the reasons, in my hometown (Hickory), one of the major "BBQ" joints gets away with not even smoking it.Western NC BBQ kind of sucks, in general, I think. Always drowned in bad sauce. No bark. Usually chopped into mush with a cheap bun that's also mushy by the time you eat the sammie.

The only good thing that stands out with WNC BBQ, imo, is the red BBQ slaw.
:goodposting: I try to avoid all those problems as much as possible. I don't sauce the pork. I provide bottles of sauce if they want to add it and I "pull" it so that it's a mix of shredded pork, and chunks of pork all mixed together. I hate when it's chopped so fine that it turns to mush!

I've got a WSM 18.5" and have done ~4-5 smokes. Each time I've heated my briquettes in a chimney starter, and either just used those coals or had some coals already in the ring and added the hot ones to the middle of the ring. Water pan just above it. Heat between 200 - 250.

Would that be considered indirect or direct smoking? The coals in the middle, a water pan just above, and then the food just above that on the grill racks.

If I wanted to do something higher heat and indirect, could I accomplish that by taking the water pan out, putting the coals to one side of the ring, and then putting the food on the opposite side?

I've got a WSM 18.5" and have done ~4-5 smokes. Each time I've heated my briquettes in a chimney starter, and either just used those coals or had some coals already in the ring and added the hot ones to the middle of the ring. Water pan just above it. Heat between 200 - 250.Would that be considered indirect or direct smoking? The coals in the middle, a water pan just above, and then the food just above that on the grill racks. If I wanted to do something higher heat and indirect, could I accomplish that by taking the water pan out, putting the coals to one side of the ring, and then putting the food on the opposite side?
You're using indirect cooking with that route as there is a water pan to diffuse the direct heat and go for a more even approach. Direct would be pulling the water pan and putting the meat on the racks directly over the coals. I generally go with a full spread across the base of the smoker (slightly piled in the center) as once you're 18-20" above the heat source the slight 6" offset from one side to the other of the smoker isn't really relevant.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a WSM 18.5" and have done ~4-5 smokes. Each time I've heated my briquettes in a chimney starter, and either just used those coals or had some coals already in the ring and added the hot ones to the middle of the ring. Water pan just above it. Heat between 200 - 250.Would that be considered indirect or direct smoking? The coals in the middle, a water pan just above, and then the food just above that on the grill racks. If I wanted to do something higher heat and indirect, could I accomplish that by taking the water pan out, putting the coals to one side of the ring, and then putting the food on the opposite side?
You're using indirect cooking with that route as there is a water pan to diffuse the direct heat and go for a more even approach. Direct would be pulling the water pan and putting the meat on the racks directly over the coals. I generally go with a full spread across the base of the smoker (slightly piled in the center) as once you're 18-20" above the heat source the slight 6" offset from one side to the other of the smoker isn't really relevant.
Cool, thanks for the reply. I assume less water in the pan = more heat? I took an old, thoroughly washed milk jug and usually use it to fill the water pan with 1 - 1.5 gallons. How do you feel about higher heat and less time for ribs vs. less heat & more time? When I've done ribs I've done SLC spares at 200-250 for 4-6 hrs, but am interested in Fanatic's 2-3 hrs at the 300 degree range.BTW, as someone who's really new to smoking, I feel like I often physically crave the smoked food & smell. LOVE IT.ETA: if you've addressed the rib question in this thread before, I apologize, I've read the thread here and there but can't remember much comment on the method.

I haven't tried the faster methods for ribs. Fanatic seems to swear by a higher heat method though.

I don't doubt that they'd be just as tender as low and slow if you get the heat right. The ribs will only take so much smoke anyway. It's all about the meat pulling away from the bone. If you can get that effect in two hours instead of five, why not?

Part of the enjoyment for me is the process though, the wait, the anticipation of something that's going to take 5-6 hours before you get to eat it.

It also allows for many more adult beverages.

----------------

It's probably in my head, but I feel like pulled pork has less of a tendency to dry out if it goes on the smoker untrimmed. It's also easier to dispose of the fat after the cook as well. The fat cap pulls right off and goes into the trash.

I haven't tried the faster methods for ribs. Fanatic seems to swear by a higher heat method though.

I don't doubt that they'd be just as tender as low and slow if you get the heat right. The ribs will only take so much smoke anyway. It's all about the meat pulling away from the bone. If you can get that effect in two hours instead of five, why not?

Part of the enjoyment for me is the process though, the wait, the anticipation of something that's going to take 5-6 hours before you get to eat it.

----------------

It's probably in my head, but I feel like pulled pork has less of a tendency to dry out if it goes on the smoker untrimmed. It's also easier to dispose of the fat after the cook as well. The fat cap pulls right off and goes into the trash.
Agree with the bolded, but sometimes it would be nice if I could get home at 4-5PM and have ribs that night along with my :banned:

I've got a WSM 18.5" and have done ~4-5 smokes. Each time I've heated my briquettes in a chimney starter, and either just used those coals or had some coals already in the ring and added the hot ones to the middle of the ring. Water pan just above it. Heat between 200 - 250.

Would that be considered indirect or direct smoking? The coals in the middle, a water pan just above, and then the food just above that on the grill racks.

If I wanted to do something higher heat and indirect, could I accomplish that by taking the water pan out, putting the coals to one side of the ring, and then putting the food on the opposite side?
Cool, thanks for the reply. I assume less water in the pan = more heat? I took an old, thoroughly washed milk jug and usually use it to fill the water pan with 1 - 1.5 gallons. How do you feel about higher heat and less time for ribs vs. less heat & more time? When I've done ribs I've done SLC spares at 200-250 for 4-6 hrs, but am interested in Fanatic's 2-3 hrs at the 300 degree range.BTW, as someone who's really new to smoking, I feel like I often physically crave the smoked food & smell. LOVE IT.

ETA: if you've addressed the rib question in this thread before, I apologize, I've read the thread here and there but can't remember much comment on the method.
:no: to the bolded. The water keeps the temps down because of the boiling point of water. More or less water does not change the temp. But, less water will evaporate quicker which will raise the temp. It would still be indirect since the water pan itself would shield the heat. But your temps would rise dramatically.

Fried a wild turkey yesterday.Today it's baby backs on my new Weber kettle (I'm embarrassed to admit it's the first I've owned) for dinner. Brats for lunch/mid-smoke snack. Damn, I love this thing. The backyard charcoal grill is a rare thing that was perfected when it was first invented.
Apparently, I've to some work to do when smoking on a kettle. By far the most terrible ribs I've ever made. Pretty much burnt'em. I generally do my smoking on ECBs, which could never, in a million years, get hot enough to burn anything. Must learn to respect the kettle.
Kettles are very efficient and hold heat well. If you allow a lot of air to get in, they can get quite hot. I would recommend in the future to close all the vents on the bottom and only use the top vent to allow air in. That will keep you at under 300 with one side full of coals....

Kettles are very efficient and hold heat well. If you allow a lot of air to get in, they can get quite hot. I would recommend in the future to close all the vents on the bottom and only use the top vent to allow air in. That will keep you at under 300 with one side full of coals....
:goodposting:Another thing that my neighbor does (with the idea given by me) is to put a square disposable tin somewhat over the coals to buffer the heat. So, if you are looking down from above:
Code:
( ribs             tin | coals )

Tasted like smokey pizza. I used them as a side, but they'd work as appetizers or possibly a main course. They took up a bit of space so I rotated them every 15 minutes to cook them evenly and used a strip of tin foil as a heat shield for those closest to the coals.
I've got a couple stuffed veggie recipes I need to do for the site. Stuffed and smoked tomatoes and stuffed peppers. I think your stuffed peppers are better than mine from what I remember and reading this. I might have to use this as a basis for my next post on the website...

:goodposting:Another thing that my neighbor does (with the idea given by me) is to put a square disposable tin somewhat over the coals to buffer the heat. So, if you are looking down from above:
Code:
( ribs             tin | coals )
Good call. I put a couple bricks on one side of the kettle to act as a divider and they also buffer the heat a little. The bricks only last a few months before they crack, but even the cracked bricks work.

How do you feel about higher heat and less time for ribs vs. less heat & more time? When I've done ribs I've done SLC spares at 200-250 for 4-6 hrs, but am interested in Fanatic's 2-3 hrs at the 300 degree range.BTW, as someone who's really new to smoking, I feel like I often physically crave the smoked food & smell. LOVE IT.
I see nothing wrong with 300 degree ribs. Hell, I frequently cook mine at 350 direct. They take about an hour this way and when done right they're flat out delicious as well. In my experience this works better with a Memphis Style dry rub rub though there's nothing to say you can't glaze em too. Just be cautious about your sugar content and keep an eye on any burning.

----------------

Agree with the bolded, but sometimes it would be nice if I could get home at 4-5PM and have ribs that night along with my :banned:
I tried the high heat method last Sunday, and the results were pretty good. 3 hrs at 300, and the ribs were fairly tender as they pulled from the bone, but I feel 5 hrs at 225-250 got them just a tad more tender. I don't think there was any more or less smoke. Used apple chunks.Pics:

Slab

Cut

This weekend I'm doing ribs like this:

225-250 for 5 hrs, no foil, no nothing except 5 hrs and 1.5 gallons of water in the water pan

homemade rub on front & back of ribs (back as an experiment)

apple chunks & coal briquettes

spray with apple juice 3-4 times throughout the cook

sauce on the side - mustard & red

I'll report back.

I've got a couple stuffed veggie recipes I need to do for the site. Stuffed and smoked tomatoes and stuffed peppers. I think your stuffed peppers are better than mine from what I remember and reading this. I might have to use this as a basis for my next post on the website...
They would have been better with more tomato. They flattened out a bit, so instead of sticking rigidly to two halved cherries per pepper half, just fill that half nice and tight with a little lip for the pepperoni and cheese topping to sink into rather than all over the outside. I would not use a bland store bought slicer or roma tomato, but Comparis from the store or a tasty homegrown 'other' would suffice. I just have over 100 cherry tomato plants producing atm. :)

They would have been better with more tomato. They flattened out a bit, so instead of sticking rigidly to two halved cherries per pepper half, just fill that half nice and tight with a little lip for the pepperoni and cheese topping to sink into rather than all over the outside. I would not use a bland store bought slicer or roma tomato, but Comparis from the store or a tasty homegrown 'other' would suffice. I just have over 100 cherry tomato plants producing atm. :)
I've only got four plants in the soil right now, none are cherries, now I wish I had planted one. I had blackspot with a vengeance again last year so this year I covered the two spots I grow maters with two bags of compost/manure each and then mulch on top of that. My tomato plants are there, but not in the ground. I have them in big ### pots on top of that hoping that the extra couple of feet will keep the black spot at bay but allow me to still use my trellis system to stake them. My four plants are a good three feet tall with fruit on a couple already. I got them in the soil late this year. I have a couple sweet yellow maters that might go really good with an orange or red pepper (for visual effect). I might try to knock these out over the weekend with store bought maters.

----------------

I only do MNF a couple times a year now (Rather than every single game when I was single), and I get the grill going as soon as get home and we serve at halftime. Most of the time, we just stand around the island in my kitchen with a pile of ribs on a huge cutting board. No sides. Just 4-5 guys polishing off three slabs of ribs... It's barbaric and beautiful at the same time.

:shock: I had 2 last year and we couldnt keep up with them. I slice them in half and put them in the dehydrator. They're sweet like raisins. If the dehydrator is too much carbon footprint for your liking, you can make your own outdoor dehydrator with an old window if you get decent sun.

We caught a raccoon with a live trap on my property last night. I shot it this morning and skinned it. Surprisingly a good bit of meat there. I've got the WSM going and I'm going with a pretty heavy brine with Coke in it to try to break down some of the expected gameyness. I'm guessing a good 2.5-3 hours at 250 with hickory could produce some interesting results. I'm using Home BBQ's Beef Brisket rub on a blind guess. We'll see how it shakes out. Will report back.

FINALLY got my 55 gallon drum smoker finished.

Smoker

All I need to add is a Patriots magnet, and a beer bottle opener. Seasoning will be Tuesday with some sacrificial ribs for dinner.

We caught a raccoon with a live trap on my property last night. I shot it this morning and skinned it. Surprisingly a good bit of meat there. I've got the WSM going and I'm going with a pretty heavy brine with Coke in it to try to break down some of the expected gameyness. I'm guessing a good 2.5-3 hours at 250 with hickory could produce some interesting results. I'm using Home BBQ's Beef Brisket rub on a blind guess. We'll see how it shakes out. Will report back.
gross :yucky:

'PatriotJohn said:

Smoker

All I need to add is a Patriots magnet, and a beer bottle opener. Seasoning will be Tuesday with some sacrificial ribs for dinner.
Nice work! Gas?

'PatriotJohn said:

Smoker

Nice work! Gas?
Thanks!It's strictly a charcoal smoker. Ribs are thawing now and will rub and set in fridge overnight tonight.
That is awesome. :thumbup: Where did you score that sweet lid?

I am looking for an outdoor bbq prep station table. Any suggestions? I've seen a few that are plastic and look like they would be used at a justice of the peace reception in bakersfield. Not ruling out plastic but wood or metal preferred.

'PatriotJohn said:

Smoker

Nice work! Gas?
Thanks!It's strictly a charcoal smoker. Ribs are thawing now and will rub and set in fridge overnight tonight.
What's that pipe with the ball valve on the side?

I did this yesterday. I used yellow peppers and cherry maters sliced into quarters. I put cream cheese along the bottom, filled with maters, then five slices of pepperoni or two slices of sweet coppa then I put monterjack cheese or muenster on top. With the pepperoni I wanted to get away from mozzarella as it seemed too "pizza-ish." I smoked them for 50 minutes with sassafras and then put the cheese on top for the last 10. They were outfreakin standing. Tonight I'm going to grill some slices of pear to soften them up, then put them on a slice of prosciutto with one of three different cheeses (feta, blue, and smoked gouda), wrap the prosciutto around it and stab with a skewer. I'm going to do a quick sear on some, and indirect some others to see what is the best combo. I realize it's a little fru-fru, but man can't live by brisket alone...

I am looking for an outdoor bbq prep station table. Any suggestions? I've seen a few that are plastic and look like they would be used at a justice of the peace reception in bakersfield. Not ruling out plastic but wood or metal preferred.
Look into restaurant supply places. Stainless tables are pretty affordable and hold up EXTREMELY well to the elements. I had left one at a buddys lakehouse for almost 2 years out in the elements and it was in near mint condition. Sturdy as hell. Easy to clean too. Don't halfass it to save a few bucks. Buy the right one the first time and it'll outlast your smoker.

'PatriotJohn said:

Smoker

Nice work! Gas?
What's that pipe with the ball valve on the side?
Air supply. Controls air flow to the charcoal. Just extended to the top to make it easier to get to.

Users who are viewing this thread