What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2011 Grilling and BBQ thread*** (1 Viewer)

Ok in the market for a new grill. i grill on occasion but would probably get more into it if I had a newer grill. Family of 4, we don't entertain a lot, would I notice any difference between these 2?

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-4511001-Spirit-Natural-Grill/dp/B001H1HOR8/ref=sr_1_1?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1309261896&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-6611001-Genesis-Natural-Grill/dp/B0045UBB0Y/ref=sr_1_3?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1309261896&sr=1-3

And if I get the 330 is it worth the extra 100 for the burner?

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-6631001-Genesis-Natural-Grill/dp/B0045UBB2M/ref=sr_1_2?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1309261896&sr=1-2

TIA

ETA: No I'm not getting charcoal so save any ifighting/snobbery ;)
The first is only a two burner grill and won't get as hot as the second (26000 BTU's compared to 38000). The first is a little smaller. The second has three burners but if the burners are front to back, it makes doing anything other than hot and fast hard. If the burners are side by side by side (and I don't know), then you can do just about anything you can do on a charcoal grill on it. Turn on the burner on one side, take the grill grate off covering it, throw a foil ball full of onsoaked wood chips right on the burner, put the meat on the other side of the grill - instant smoker. But if they are front to back, and my FiL's old one is like this, can't smoke without a rotisserie to keep the meat elevated and away from the hot burner.
Thanks - after reviewing not sure if I'm going to spend the money. I was looking at the DUO from mentioned in another thread. I'm not a big griller, but looking to get started.I think for now I'm going cheap and going to get the gas Char Griller - and get the side smaller box.

Ok in the market for a new grill. i grill on occasion but would probably get more into it if I had a newer grill. Family of 4, we don't entertain a lot, would I notice any difference between these 2?

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-4511001-Spirit-Natural-Grill/dp/B001H1HOR8/ref=sr_1_1?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1309261896&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-6611001-Genesis-Natural-Grill/dp/B0045UBB0Y/ref=sr_1_3?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1309261896&sr=1-3

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-6631001-Genesis-Natural-Grill/dp/B0045UBB2M/ref=sr_1_2?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1309261896&sr=1-2

TIA

The first is only a two burner grill and won't get as hot as the second (26000 BTU's compared to 38000). The first is a little smaller. The second has three burners but if the burners are front to back, it makes doing anything other than hot and fast hard. If the burners are side by side by side (and I don't know), then you can do just about anything you can do on a charcoal grill on it. Turn on the burner on one side, take the grill grate off covering it, throw a foil ball full of onsoaked wood chips right on the burner, put the meat on the other side of the grill - instant smoker. But if they are front to back, and my FiL's old one is like this, can't smoke without a rotisserie to keep the meat elevated and away from the hot burner.
Thanks - after reviewing not sure if I'm going to spend the money. I was looking at the DUO from mentioned in another thread. I'm not a big griller, but looking to get started.I think for now I'm going cheap and going to get the gas Char Griller - and get the side smaller box.
I have that grill. I hate it. Horizontal grills are inherently flawed even if they're made well. The Char-Griller is not made well.

Is it possible to cook brisket with either a propane or a charcoal grill? Or do you need a smoker?

I know that it's technically "possible," but I'm wondering if it will come out any good. Any tips, advice, recipes, directions, etc. would be very appreciated. TIA.
Absolutely.Turn on the burner or burners on one side, take the grill grate off that side, put a couple handfuls of UNsoaked wood chips on a sheet of foil, wad the foil up into a ball, poke holes in the ball with a sharp knife, and put that right on the burner. Then put the brisket on the other side of the grill. I put my briskets in a foil pan to help further insulate the meat from the heat and collect the mop sauce I use. You might want to go with a couple foil balls at a time to get enough smoke, then pull the balls and replace with new ones when they stop producing smoke. Good luck...

Is it possible to cook brisket with either a propane or a charcoal grill? Or do you need a smoker?

I know that it's technically "possible," but I'm wondering if it will come out any good. Any tips, advice, recipes, directions, etc. would be very appreciated. TIA.
Absolutely.Turn on the burner or burners on one side, take the grill grate off that side, put a couple handfuls of UNsoaked wood chips on a sheet of foil, wad the foil up into a ball, poke holes in the ball with a sharp knife, and put that right on the burner. Then put the brisket on the other side of the grill. I put my briskets in a foil pan to help further insulate the meat from the heat and collect the mop sauce I use. You might want to go with a couple foil balls at a time to get enough smoke, then pull the balls and replace with new ones when they stop producing smoke. Good luck...
Thanks :thumbup: We're looking at 5 hours or so, right? Is there any way to pull this off on a charcoal grill?

Never cooked a brisket before... sorry for the amateur questions. :bag:

'Adebisi said:

Thanks :thumbup: We're looking at 5 hours or so, right? Is there any way to pull this off on a charcoal grill?

Never cooked a brisket before... sorry for the amateur questions. :bag:
Depends on the temp you cook at. If you cook at around 250, then it will be around 1.5hrs per pound. Fanatic likes to go hotter on his, so it would cut the cooking time down.

'Adebisi said:

Thanks :thumbup: Is there any way to pull this off on a charcoal grill?
Sure coals on one side of the grill, a tin with water on the other side and the brisket on the grill grate above the water. Use the grill dampers to controll the amount of air to help regulate your tempatures

36 Brats simmered in beer, onions, black pepper, sugar, and Italian seasoning

20 Hot Dogs

12 Italians

12 Polishes

30 ears of corn

Gonna be a good day! :thumbup:

Grilling rookie here, please don't abuse me :) , just looking for some tips on grilling pork ribs on a gas grill.

Bake before hand? Or is that against the rules? Tips on a rub or use BBQ sauce only?

Any advice appreciated.

What is your go-to recipe for potatoes on the grill. Mine are simply OK.

I just dice em up. Place then in tinfoil with butter, salt, pepper, and some seasoned salt. They come out ok. I feel I'm settling with these.

What is your go-to recipe for potatoes on the grill. Mine are simply OK.I just dice em up. Place then in tinfoil with butter, salt, pepper, and some seasoned salt. They come out ok. I feel I'm settling with these.
A "recipe" that I got from this thread my family loves:Cut them up in decent size chunks, put them in a bowl with olive oil, a packet of ranch mix or dry onion soup mix. Stir them up good to coat them with oil and mix, put in foil, put on the grill and enjoy.

Did Brats and burgers last night

Steak and grilled corn today

Chicken breast tonight

Brats tomorrow for dinner

Who knows what yet tomorrow night

Gotta love long weekends and gorgeous weather :banned:

Home Depot is having a 4th sale on kingsford charcoal 20lb bags are buy one get one free. So I picked up 300lbs and have been grilling ever since.

Happy 4th everyone and good luck on all the meals being made today over fire.

Home Depot is having a 4th sale on kingsford charcoal 20lb bags are buy one get one free. So I picked up 300lbs and have been grilling ever since.

Happy 4th everyone and good luck on all the meals being made today over fire.
:thumbup: My wife picked up some fresh tilapia for yesterday, and she did the grilling! Sort of....she wanted to panfry them without the smell inside so set it up on the grill. Good stuff!

Today I've got a butt roast set up for the smoker. :cool:

Saturday - Nice thick NY Strips and Baked Potatoes

Yesterday - Margherita pizza and a Grilled Fruit Dessert Pizza (this was ok, but it wasn't sweet enough. Might add a tad bit of sugar to the mascarpone cheese

Today - Baby Backs, Beans, Grilled Potato Salad

I love 3 day weekends!

Made some brisket using the high heat today with pecan rub, apple wood for the smoke. Made Steve Petrone's No. 5 Sauce and it was outstanding. Made homemade beans with bacon, onions, burnt ends thrown in, etc. Love me some brisket. :yes:

made a pork loin stuffed with spinach leaves and feta cheese, rubbed down on the outside with some Northwoods seasoning from Penzeys and cooked indirect on the grill for about 2 hours.

TIA

I have that grill. I hate it. Horizontal grills are inherently flawed even if they're made well. The Char-Griller is not made well.
Ok question what is a horizontal grill? Anyway I'm just getting started into the BBQ world, I had a grill but haven't grilled in years. I'm not looking to go fancy for now, basically do the burger/chicken basics 90% of the time, but this smoking has me intrigued.Does't the foil burn if I put it down on the flame?

I ended up getting a cheap grill for $150 bucks, I understand it's low end. made some chicken last night which was just fine :) , I know it's gas and "that sucks" - but walk me through the smoking thing here, TIA

'[icon] said:
12lb Brisket Rubbed and loaded onto the WSMSome nice bark forming about 2.5 hours in. Added another dusting of the Home BBQ Beef Rub.

Served up poolside > Hickory Smoked Brisket Tacos topped with Onion/Cilandro/Lime and a drizzle of our Slab Yo Mama BBQ "Tarhole Sauce" (NC style Vinegar-Base sauce).

Rave reviews on the tacos. We actually went through the entire brisket. The end of the flat was a bit thin so it dried out a bit but the part near the point was tender as it gets and sliced up nicely. Chopped up the point as well. Also on the menu were some chicken/beef/veggie kabobs earlier in the day. All of it was intended to be nice poolside chow you can eat while standing/floating and not needing a table. One hell of a day. :thumbup:

Did my first smoke ever this weekend after a lot of research and help from folks here and the Virtual Weber Bullet. I recently moved and ended up getting a 22" Bullet and an 18.5" WSM. Anyway, I smoked a 9lb pork butt this weekend and topped it off with an Eastern Carolina vinegar based sauce (recipe from the bullet site) and it turned out great. The WSM really is an easy smoker for nubes and from everything I've read about a pork butt being forgiving seemed true.

I will probably do another single pork butt smoke before venturing into exotics, but I see people here talking about smoking a butt and a brisket simultaneously. That sounds intriguing. Any tricks of the trade on that? Does one take much longer than the other? Do you put one on the top rack and one on the lower? Thanks in advance

Did my first batch of ribs without foiling this weekend. Just did em about 5.5 hours @ 230-240 on the WSM, spraying with a blend of apple juice and captain morgan. They turned out great. Still very tender and came off the bone pretty easily.

Did my first smoke ever this weekend after a lot of research and help from folks here and the Virtual Weber Bullet. I recently moved and ended up getting a 22" Bullet and an 18.5" WSM. Anyway, I smoked a 9lb pork butt this weekend and topped it off with an Eastern Carolina vinegar based sauce (recipe from the bullet site) and it turned out great. The WSM really is an easy smoker for nubes and from everything I've read about a pork butt being forgiving seemed true. I will probably do another single pork butt smoke before venturing into exotics, but I see people here talking about smoking a butt and a brisket simultaneously. That sounds intriguing. Any tricks of the trade on that? Does one take much longer than the other? Do you put one on the top rack and one on the lower? Thanks in advance
Generally speaking a brisket is going to take a bit longer than a butt to cook, but it's all dependent on the size and temps. A whole brisket packer is about 12-14lbs whereas a pork Butt is usually 7-9lbs. Also, I typically prefer a slightly stronger wood (hickory) with beef and tend to stick with fruitwoods for pork. That said it's nothing that should/would keep me from trying both at once. You could easily fit two butts on the top shelf of a WSM and a brisket on the bottom

fanatic - I made your prosciutto wrapped pears this weekend. I actually used hoffman's cheddar, and I thought it was outstanding. It's a good sharp cheddar right in the deli case, not sure how common it is but I'm a big fan. Thanks for sharing.

I did my first big pork butt last Friday. 9.5 lbs from Sam's club. I asked for an 8 lb'er and they gave me 9.5. I was under a tight time frame, so I cooked at 275-300 for 6-7 hrs, then foiled for an hr until it was 190-195 degrees depending on where I stuck the thermometer into the meat. I was surprised I could finish it in such a short time.

To begin, I trimmed the butt, then put a small amount of rub on. Then I slathered the whole thing in mustard and reapplied a bunch of rub. It's true you can't taste any of the mustard once it's done. Foiling it ruined some of my bark, but I had no choice. Oh yeah, I also injected it with 2 cups of a combo of apple juice, apple cider, worcestshire, and water.

My rub consisted of turbinado sugar, brown sugar, paprika, pepper, kosher salt, onion poweder, garlic powder, and cayenne. It's perfect for my taste buds.

When foiling, I put a half bottle of stubbs pork marinade in the foil around the butt. I didn't pour it over the butt, just around it.

It ended up great. I seperated the money muscle meat from the rest and ate that separetely.

Here it is rubbed.

1 Hr in

5 Hrs in

Done. iPhone pic and poor lighting doesn't do it justice.

Pulled

ETA: used apple wood chunks

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding Brisket, is there a huge taste difference between doing a 6 lb flat or a 10+ plus packer (I think that's what it's called, flat + point = a packer?).

Where do you all get your brisket from? Local butcher, chain, Sam's Club? When I was getting my boston butt at Sam's last week, they only seemed to have flats.

Regarding Brisket, is there a huge taste difference between doing a 6 lb flat or a 10+ plus packer (I think that's what it's called, flat + point = a packer?).Where do you all get your brisket from? Local butcher, chain, Sam's Club? When I was getting my boston butt at Sam's last week, they only seemed to have flats.
I picked up my packer from Sams for this weekend. It was a 12lb-er and they charged about $2/lb. I generally use Costco for all of my meat but they were closed for the Holiday. Walmart has Briskets as well. They will trim it up for you. Same with Kroger. Kroger wanted $4.99/lb though :lmao: The point is generally a good bit fattier than the flat so it tends to be juicier and is excellent chopped. If you're going to do a flat only, try to be sure it's as uniform in thickness as you can find to help make sure it cooks pretty evenly.

What is your go-to recipe for potatoes on the grill. Mine are simply OK.I just dice em up. Place then in tinfoil with butter, salt, pepper, and some seasoned salt. They come out ok. I feel I'm settling with these.
I like red potatoes on the grill:Diced upFinely chopped onion and garlicLots of black pepper and your favorite seasoning saltItalian seasoning (I like a lot as well)Parsley flakesBacon fat or butterWrap in havy duty foil, turn often, about an hour.

Did my first smoke ever this weekend after a lot of research and help from folks here and the Virtual Weber Bullet. I recently moved and ended up getting a 22" Bullet and an 18.5" WSM. Anyway, I smoked a 9lb pork butt this weekend and topped it off with an Eastern Carolina vinegar based sauce (recipe from the bullet site) and it turned out great. The WSM really is an easy smoker for nubes and from everything I've read about a pork butt being forgiving seemed true. I will probably do another single pork butt smoke before venturing into exotics, but I see people here talking about smoking a butt and a brisket simultaneously. That sounds intriguing. Any tricks of the trade on that? Does one take much longer than the other? Do you put one on the top rack and one on the lower? Thanks in advance
Generally speaking a brisket is going to take a bit longer than a butt to cook, but it's all dependent on the size and temps. A whole brisket packer is about 12-14lbs whereas a pork Butt is usually 7-9lbs. Also, I typically prefer a slightly stronger wood (hickory) with beef and tend to stick with fruitwoods for pork. That said it's nothing that should/would keep me from trying both at once. You could easily fit two butts on the top shelf of a WSM and a brisket on the bottom
Thanks. I have apple, cherry and oak woods. Used the fruit woods for the pork. Maybe I'd go with oak for a butt/brisket combo.

Thanks. I have apple, cherry and oak woods. Used the fruit woods for the pork. Maybe I'd go with oak for a butt/brisket combo.
Oak is good. I find it a little bitter. I pretty much stick to fruit woods for Pork and Hickory for beef. Good Hickory is absolutely fantastic.

I'm a west coaster and hooked on mesquite (lump) for grilling and indirect cooking. It's a bit overpowering for smoking, but for me it's the hands down winner for steak or burgers. Something earthy and western and savory about it that hickory lacks. For smoking I have a never ending supply of avocado. Spicy sweet light smoke that works great for fish (salmon) poultry and pork. I am experimenting with citrus soon since I see it is used by some and I have a huge supply of it available too.

Hickory is oak so is oak hickory? :unsure:

Been considering my grill options quite a bit lately. I am starting from scratch moving to a new place. I was strongly considering a Large Big Green Egg (Egg, table and plate setter to run me about $1200) but now I am thinking I get a 22" Weber Kettle and an 18" Weber Smoky Mountain with an ATC (automatic temp control) device - likely an Auber for about $600 total. I think I'd love the Egg but for less than 50% of my cooking being smokes, I think the Kettle and WSM make more sense at half the price.
What is it that you think you can't cook on an egg? I use mine exclusively. My gas grill has literally become just a cabinet for my egg supplies.

Not really seeing the point of these. I get fine grill marks already.
Much more than grill marks.
talk to me goose
Yeah, I'm not really seeing it either. I mean I prefer cast iron to the metal of say my weber, but I make mean grill marks on the weber. And the whole grease thing seems a little disingenuous as the grease falls down into the coals and does the same thing as the grease tray.
Plus, you don't see them doing burgers at all. Is that because they "fall" into the grates?(BTW, I don't buy the idea of them making pizza on these.)

I cooked up two 1.5" thick prime NY Strips last night and I will have to say they are the best I've ever had except at high end steakhouse.

[*]Washed and patted dry

[*]Salted on both side with chunky kosher salt and allowed to come to room temp for an hour

[*]First, on the egg at 225* to bring internal to 115*, then removed

[*]While letting the steaks rest, brough the egg up to 700*

[*]Steaks back on to sear each side, removed steaks at 135*

Perfect, perfect, perfect mid rare+ and tender as could be.

This was the first time I went reverse -- inside out -- and it was gold. Gold, Jerry!

Bacon burgers Saturday. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150211102119294.332652.315133064293&l=b0984d3a9e Definitely all in on the griddled over grilled question now. Like it tons better.

J
Why? :confused:
Can't speak for Joe but the outside of the patties frying in their own seasoned fat and forming an slightly crunchy chewy crust is tastier than that fat dripping and flaring and making the unhealthy char we're supposed to be avoiding.

Grilling rookie here, please don't abuse me :) , just looking for some tips on grilling pork ribs on a gas grill.Bake before hand? Or is that against the rules? Tips on a rub or use BBQ sauce only? Any advice appreciated.
Turn the burners on one side of the grill on until you get an internal temp inside the grill of 300. Put the ribs on the side the burners are not on and remove the grill grates on the side the burners are on. Take a couple handfuls of UNSOAKED wood chips and put them on a sheet of tin foil. Wad the foil up into a ball full of wood chips. Make up about a half dozen of these tin foil balls of chips. Put two of the balls right on the burner under the grate you just removed and close the lid. For baby backs, they'll be done in 2 hours. Spares a little longer. As for a rub. Granulated garlic, paprika, brown sugar, black pepper, salt, maybe some granulated onion, a little dried mustard and you should be good to go. Get creative with whatever you want. I rarely sauce anything. I'm almost always using a rub and a rub only.

If cooking a couple of butts on the bottom rack of a vertical smoker (WSM), with other meat on the upper rack, can I stick a probe thermometer into the butts and just leave it in there for several hours? I figure that would be much easier than taking the top rack off to get a good temp of the stuff below.

If cooking a couple of butts on the bottom rack of a vertical smoker (WSM), with other meat on the upper rack, can I stick a probe thermometer into the butts and just leave it in there for several hours? I figure that would be much easier than taking the top rack off to get a good temp of the stuff below.
HEll yeah. I'll usually insert a probe into them around 3/4 into the cook and leave it in until done. Don't rely on the probe for accurate temps as you approach finish line though.... double check with 2-3 pokes of an instant read

HEll yeah. I'll usually insert a probe into them around 3/4 into the cook and leave it in until done. Don't rely on the probe for accurate temps as you approach finish line though.... double check with 2-3 pokes of an instant read
Cool thanks. Where should I run the wires out of the smoker at? Or should I go wireless?

Cool thanks. Where should I run the wires out of the smoker at? Or should I go wireless?
I just have them run out at the lid. I've found the amount of air leak generated is pretty insignificant. IF you're worried about it and lave long enough wires, Iv'e seen folks run them out the holes in the top lid (usually left wide open). That creates a hassle when it comes time to pull the lld and work on your cook though. Wireless, not sure I'd trust anything with a transmitter that would sit inside the cooking chamber. Pretty sure all wireless setups involve running wires out to an exterior transmitter.

I just have them run out at the lid. I've found the amount of air leak generated is pretty insignificant. IF you're worried about it and lave long enough wires, Iv'e seen folks run them out the holes in the top lid (usually left wide open). That creates a hassle when it comes time to pull the lld and work on your cook though. Wireless, not sure I'd trust anything with a transmitter that would sit inside the cooking chamber. Pretty sure all wireless setups involve running wires out to an exterior transmitter.
Great, thanks for the info.

I like red potatoes on the grill:Diced upFinely chopped onion and garlicLots of black pepper and your favorite seasoning saltItalian seasoning (I like a lot as well)Parsley flakesBacon fat or butterWrap in havy duty foil, turn often, about an hour.
Why bacon fat or butter? I've been doing the same basic thing, but with olive oil. Just curious if one is better than the other.

Why bacon fat or butter? I've been doing the same basic thing, but with olive oil. Just curious if one is better than the other.
You know the answer here, Fred.In manly grilling who cares about health type discussions, it's Bacon Fat >>>>>>>>>Butter>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Olive OilJ

Random observation - One of the best things you can do for your cooking in my opinion is to wean yourself off remote thermometers / probes. Learn to just know when the stuff is done by what it looks and feels like. Always use an instant read to be sure as you have to put safety first and nobody wants undercooked stuff. But as you get more experience, you'll find benefit to getting off the remote thermometers. At least that was my experience.J

'Chaos Commish said:
Bacon burgers Saturday. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150211102119294.332652.315133064293&l=b0984d3a9e Definitely all in on the griddled over grilled question now. Like it tons better.

J
Why? :confused:
Can't speak for Joe but the outside of the patties frying in their own seasoned fat and forming an slightly crunchy chewy crust is tastier than that fat dripping and flaring and making the unhealthy char we're supposed to be avoiding.
What CC said. The crust is fantastic. And you're not losing all the juice dripping down into the flame. For a long time, it seemed folks were split about 50-50 on the griddled vs grill thing but now I'm seeing most of the hot shot type burger chefs leaning more toward the griddle. That doesn't matter to me though. I think it tastes better.J

Regarding Brisket, is there a huge taste difference between doing a 6 lb flat or a 10+ plus packer (I think that's what it's called, flat + point = a packer?).Where do you all get your brisket from? Local butcher, chain, Sam's Club? When I was getting my boston butt at Sam's last week, they only seemed to have flats.
Yes, huge difference. A whole brisket (often called a packer) is two very distinct cuts of meat. The "flat" is very lean. The "point" is much more marbled.If you go to a real Texas BBQ place, they'll ask you which part you want. They will often refer to it as "moist" or "fatty" for the point part. And "lean" for the flat.The "lean" is usually very lean. I much prefer the fattier cut in the point. I can't imagine ever doing just the flat cut by itself. Do a whole packer brisket and as it cooks you'll see it start to separate. If you cook it fat side up (as Texas law dictates), the point will be on top and run about half way of the length of the flat cut. Best way is to just cook a whole one and see how it goes. You'll ruin a couple before you get the hang of it. But mastering brisket puts you way up in the BBQ stratosphere. MUCH MUCH MUCH more difficult to get right than a fat marbled Boston Butt pork shoulder.J

12lb Brisket Rubbed and loaded onto the WSMSome nice bark forming about 2.5 hours in. Added another dusting of the Home BBQ Beef Rub.

Served up poolside > Hickory Smoked Brisket Tacos topped with Onion/Cilandro/Lime and a drizzle of our Slab Yo Mama BBQ "Tarhole Sauce" (NC style Vinegar-Base sauce).

Rave reviews on the tacos. We actually went through the entire brisket. The end of the flat was a bit thin so it dried out a bit but the part near the point was tender as it gets and sliced up nicely. Chopped up the point as well. Also on the menu were some chicken/beef/veggie kabobs earlier in the day. All of it was intended to be nice poolside chow you can eat while standing/floating and not needing a table. One hell of a day. :thumbup:
:hifive: Nice.J

You know the answer here, Fred.In manly grilling who cares about health type discussions, it's Bacon Fat >>>>>>>>>Butter>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Olive OilJ
Probably true. I don't mind eating unhealthy. I just wonder if it really makes it taste better. I like olive oil. I like butter, too. I've never cooked with bacon fat. I'm worried I might be missing out.

Random observation - One of the best things you can do for your cooking in my opinion is to wean yourself off remote thermometers / probes. Learn to just know when the stuff is done by what it looks and feels like. Always use an instant read to be sure as you have to put safety first and nobody wants undercooked stuff. But as you get more experience, you'll find benefit to getting off the remote thermometers. At least that was my experience.J
In other words, thermometers are for #######!!! YEAH!!! :thumbup:

What is your go-to recipe for potatoes on the grill. Mine are simply OK.

I just dice em up. Place then in tinfoil with butter, salt, pepper, and some seasoned salt. They come out ok. I feel I'm settling with these.
I like red potatoes on the grill:Diced up

Finely chopped onion and garlic

Lots of black pepper and your favorite seasoning salt

Italian seasoning (I like a lot as well)

Parsley flakes

Bacon fat or butter

Wrap in havy duty foil, turn often, about an hour.
You know the answer here, Fred.In manly grilling who cares about health type discussions, it's Bacon Fat >>>>>>>>>Butter>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Olive Oil

J
Probably true. I don't mind eating unhealthy. I just wonder if it really makes it taste better. I like olive oil. I like butter, too. I've never cooked with bacon fat. I'm worried I might be missing out.
Hi Fred.I can say with confidence your worries are justified... ;)

J

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread